6GB or 3GB 780?

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Ntrain96
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1013
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: 6GB or 3GB 780? 2014/07/05 13:04:34 (permalink)
flyinion
Ntrain96
flyinion
Well, I'm seriously starting to consider just going with a 3GB FTW version of the 780 because the 6GB is still not in stock on the EVGA website (though Newegg has them) and I really need to use my saved up EVGA bucks towards the purchase.  I'm getting nervous about waiting too long, the 3GB's go back out of stock again and the 6's never come back and being out of luck buying a 780 direct.

Why don't you just step up to the plate and grab the Ti since they can now be had for close to $600?

The cheapest on the EVGA site is $700 and out of stock, cheapest in stock is $750.  Definitely outside the budget even with my EVGA bucks knocking off a big chunk.

edit:  The $529 of the 3GB 780's is really where I wanted to top out at, but adding a little extra for double the memory just seemed worth it

They had Asus 780 ti's at $619 shipped after rebate just a few days ago................in fact there have been a lot of quick 780 ti sales on NE,Amazon, even Micro Center over the last few weeks with various 780 ti's in the low $600 range.
Ntrain96
FTW Member
Re: 6GB or 3GB 780? 2014/07/05 13:17:12 (permalink)
Oryato
Ntrain96
Oryato
Ntrain96
Oryato
Titan Fall Already use a lot of memory.

http://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/1xx0gm/3gb_vram_for_insane_textures_eh/

Shows 2gb not enough for very high 1080p, stutters, not even "Insane" textures yet

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/748544-titanfall-4gb-vram-required.html
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2369254

Lots of memory, "Insane" textures locked when <3GB

Actually 2gb 680's/770's cards run Titanfall maxed out with insane textures just fine since the latest patch. The game does allocate a lot of memory, but nothing a 2gb card cant handle. If your going to post up links, at least try to post links that are up to date in terms of patches and drivers etc........posting links from when a game was FIRST RELEASED in its usual beta format with much older drivers is really pointless. Might as well post up a Watch Dogs link while your at it.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1493337/3gb-vram-not-enough-anyore/50

Stuttering gone after vram upgrade

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-mac-discussion-1000004/titanfall-has-connectivity-issues-maxing-out-setti-31378235/

That says no patch changed the Titanfall 3gb situation since release, unless you can show otherwise.

So with Titanfall released half year ago already reaching 3gb barrier maybe in 6 more months gone.

Edit: Waiting 3-6 months for a patch after paying $1500 is just a joke. Doesn't make me feel comfortable. Already that's 2 AAA games released this year. Already 40% of AAA games in the year want 3GB minimum for max 1080p.

Your rehashing again the SAME threads from before hand, that's just full of speculation. I prefer to NOT take the words from other users who system management and hardware knowledge may be very well lacking, and lacking severely at that.

And the posts like the one you just tossed up just don't help matters. Titanfall was now released a half year ago? That would mean an end of Dec. release.......... the game was released a bit over 3 months ago in March last I knew..............

Cmon, ad hominem is a fallacy. And I didn't post the same link twice, another fallacy. Besides, your system knowledge isn't impressive either, expecting your 780 Ti to last 4-5 years with that memory and packing everything including water cooling into the smallest possible case. I wouldn't say I am any measurably worse than you at all.

I was the only one posting evidence to support my claims (more than 10 links), yet you have given not 1 evidence. I have only seen assertions everywhere.

Really? So now your a hardware xpert on what will and will not be needed in X amount of time. I am certain that games will eventually require to play at their highest settings more than 3gb of VRAM. No question about it. But Im not worried about that in the next few years time. When games come out en mass requiring a ton of vram to run maxed out I know for a fact that the GPU requirements will also be substantially greater that what a single or a pair of GK110's are capable of outputting at those same max settings. When that time comes, I will at that time make the decision if my cards need replacement/upgrading, like any other intelligent individual.

The people who tend to go off the deep end on vram, tend to be the individuals who really don't understand their hardware or the concept of balancing out their hardware and are susceptible to marketing gimmicks such as you.

And as for me jam packing everything I have into such a small case? What does that have to do with ANYTHING? The fact that I used every bit of available space, bay, port etc to the max shows nothing other than I know how to keep things nice and compact and efficient for MY OWN NEEDS. What? Should I have used an overly large, bulky and expensive case to do the same exact job? A larger case for my build would have added nothing for my needs, or improved my systems performance in any regards. I like small form factor builds, and I like finding innovative ways of jamming a lot of equipment into a small compact area without needing to hack up my equipment to make things fit. Nothing wrong with that.

All the links you have posted do nothing that ad room for valid debate. In other words, they prove nothing still to date.
rjbarker
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3214
  • Ribbons : 21
Re: 6GB or 3GB 780? 2014/07/05 13:58:16 (permalink)
Some folks should really take "break" from the Forums or pop a valum...go for a walk...something...these Forums are generally friendly and folks come here for helpful advice...we all should really at the very least "try" to respect Members and respect others opinions........just sayin..  ;)

I9 12900K EK Velocity2 / ROG Z690 Apex/ 32G Dominator DDR5 6000/ Evga RTX 3080Ti FTW3  EK Vector / 980 Pro 512G / 980 Pro 1TB/ Samsung 860 Pro 500G/ WD 4TB Red / AX 1600i /  Corsair 900D & XSPC 480 * 360 * 240 Rads   XSPC Photon 170 Rez-Vario Pump Combo - Alienware 3440*1440p 120Hz/ W11

AlexisRO
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1920
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: 6GB or 3GB 780? 2014/07/05 15:25:00 (permalink)
rjbarker
Some folks should really take "break" from the Forums or pop a valum...go for a walk...something...these Forums are generally friendly and folks come here for helpful advice...we all should really at the very least "try" to respect Members and respect others opinions........just sayin..  ;)

But but WHY?

*or has a different opinion than mine
*or has a different card than mine
*or they use hoses instead of pipes

System: 7820X - MSI X299 Carbon AC - G.Skill 32Gb TridentZ 3200 - EVGA 1080 Ti - 500 Gb Samsung 970 EVO , 2Tb Crucial MX500, 2Tb, 3Tb, 4Tb Seagate - Seasonic 1000W Prime - Creative Sound Blaster Z - Windows 10 Pro 64 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Edifier S530D - Acer Predator XB271HU (1440p)

Watercooling loop: Heatkiller CPU - EK 1080 Ti - Swiftech MCP 655 with EK X-Top v2 - XSPC reservoir - Alphacool 480 x2

Oryato
  • Total Posts : 89
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: 6GB or 3GB 780? 2014/07/05 16:28:35 (permalink)
Ntrain96
Oryato
Ntrain96
Oryato
Ntrain96
Oryato

http://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/1xx0gm/3gb_vram_for_insane_textures_eh/

Shows 2gb not enough for very high 1080p, stutters, not even "Insane" textures yet

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/748544-titanfall-4gb-vram-required.html

Actually 2gb 680's/770's cards run Titanfall maxed out with insane textures just fine since the latest patch. The game does allocate a lot of memory, but nothing a 2gb card cant handle. If your going to post up links, at least try to post links that are up to date in terms of patches and drivers etc........posting links from when a game was FIRST RELEASED in its usual beta format with much older drivers is really pointless. Might as well post up a Watch Dogs link while your at it.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-mac-discussion-1000004/titanfall-has-connectivity-issues-maxing-out-setti-31378235/

That says no patch changed the Titanfall 3gb situation since release, unless you can show otherwise.

So with Titanfall released half year ago already reaching 3gb barrier maybe in 6 more months gone.

Edit: Waiting 3-6 months for a patch after paying $1500 is just a joke. Doesn't make me feel comfortable. Already that's 2 AAA games released this year. Already 40% of AAA games in the year want 3GB minimum for max 1080p.

Your rehashing again the SAME threads from before hand, that's just full of speculation. I prefer to NOT take the words from other users who system management and hardware knowledge may be very well lacking, and lacking severely at that.

And the posts like the one you just tossed up just don't help matters. Titanfall was now released a half year ago? That would mean an end of Dec. release.......... the game was released a bit over 3 months ago in March last I knew..............

Cmon, ad hominem is a fallacy. And I didn't post the same link twice, another fallacy. Besides, your system knowledge isn't impressive either, expecting your 780 Ti to last 4-5 years with that memory and packing everything including water cooling into the smallest possible case. I wouldn't say I am any measurably worse than you at all.

I was the only one posting evidence to support my claims (more than 10 links), yet you have given not 1 evidence. I have only seen assertions everywhere.

Really? So now your a hardware xpert on what will and will not be needed in X amount of time. I am certain that games will eventually require to play at their highest settings more than 3gb of VRAM. No question about it. But Im not worried about that in the next few years time. When games come out en mass requiring a ton of vram to run maxed out I know for a fact that the GPU requirements will also be substantially greater that what a single or a pair of GK110's are capable of outputting at those same max settings. When that time comes, I will at that time make the decision if my cards need replacement/upgrading, like any other intelligent individual.

The people who tend to go off the deep end on vram, tend to be the individuals who really don't understand their hardware or the concept of balancing out their hardware and are susceptible to marketing gimmicks such as you.

And as for me jam packing everything I have into such a small case? What does that have to do with ANYTHING? The fact that I used every bit of available space, bay, port etc to the max shows nothing other than I know how to keep things nice and compact and efficient for MY OWN NEEDS. What? Should I have used an overly large, bulky and expensive case to do the same exact job? A larger case for my build would have added nothing for my needs, or improved my systems performance in any regards. I like small form factor builds, and I like finding innovative ways of jamming a lot of equipment into a small compact area without needing to hack up my equipment to make things fit. Nothing wrong with that.

All the links you have posted do nothing that ad room for valid debate. In other words, they prove nothing still to date.

Your whole premise is the the GPU will bottleneck when the vram bottlenecks. There is no evidence for that at all. In fact, there is evidence against it, such as I can easily write a game that uses a lot of VRAM but not gpu. You can also turn down settings to conserve GPU and not vram. SLI also pushes away the GPU bottleneck but not the vram bottleneck.
post edited by Oryato - 2014/07/05 16:42:52

INTEL i7 4930K, CORSAIR 32GB RAM
ASUS Rampage IV BLACK EDITION
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW @ 2050MHz / 10800MHz
CORSAIR AX1500i

Arch Linux GPU Passthrough Enabled ✔

Ntrain96
FTW Member
Re: 6GB or 3GB 780? 2014/07/05 17:07:51 (permalink)
Oryato
Ntrain96
Oryato
Ntrain96
Oryato
Ntrain96
Oryato

Your whole premise is the the GPU will bottleneck when the vram bottlenecks. There is no evidence for that at all. In fact, there is evidence against it, such as I can easily write a game that uses a lot of VRAM but not gpu. You can also turn down settings to conserve GPU and not vram. SLI also pushes away the GPU bottleneck but not the vram bottleneck.

My whole premise is that when literally the vram requirements double legitimately over 2-3gb and regularly, the GK110 will already be at the "time to upgrade" point. Your right ANYONE can program a weak game to require and hog up a ton of vram, just like you can also create a game that needs serious gpu horsepower and little vram. But COMPETENT programmers are aware of what the mass population's systems consist of, the low and the high end. There are very few "Crysis" games that come along and just blow the requirements of the mainstream(and power users) out of the water with a game years ahead of its time hardware wise, nothing like that exists right now in reality. Something that people seem to now worry about as these threads show.

SLI without question raises the GPU system horsepower, but it doesn't necessarily outstrip vram, again balance, name of the game.
Oryato
Re: 6GB or 3GB 780? 2014/07/05 17:28:41 (permalink)
Ntrain96

My whole premise is that when literally the vram requirements double legitimately over 2-3gb and regularly, the GK110 will already be at the "time to upgrade" point. Your right ANYONE can program a weak game to require and hog up a ton of vram, just like you can also create a game that needs serious gpu horsepower and little vram. But COMPETENT programmers are aware of what the mass population's systems consist of, the low and the high end. There are very few "Crysis" games that come along and just blow the requirements of the mainstream(and power users) out of the water with a game years ahead of its time hardware wise, nothing like that exists right now in reality. Something that people seem to now worry about as these threads show.

SLI without question raises the GPU system horsepower, but it doesn't necessarily outstrip vram, again balance, name of the game.

Well then your whole premise would be wrong, because vram requirements don't "double legitimately over 2-3gb and regularly". They increase bit by bit. It doesn't take a '"Crysis" game', any dev can include higher than standard textures or more diversity of textures. You're always just tiptoeing around the argument and putting up strawmans.

CORSAIR AX1500i

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18969
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: 6GB or 3GB 780? 2014/07/05 17:50:30 (permalink)

2 x 4GB GTX-680 FTW+

HATERS GONNA HATE

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Ntrain96
FTW Member
Re: 6GB or 3GB 780? 2014/07/06 10:35:06 (permalink)
Oryato
Ntrain96

Well then your whole premise would be wrong, because vram requirements don't "double legitimately over 2-3gb and regularly". They increase bit by bit. It doesn't take a '"Crysis" game', any dev can include higher than standard textures or more diversity of textures. You're always just tiptoeing around the argument and putting up strawmans.

Im not tiptoeing around anything. And of course vram requirements go up incrementally, but the point is still intact regardless of improper wording or phrasing. Just a few short days ago you yourself were asking the "is it enough" question.........now your an expert after browsing a few threads? LOL! Just like if you pair a video card into sli you need to double the ram argument? lol
Oryato
Re: 6GB or 3GB 780? 2014/07/06 11:15:48 (permalink)
Ntrain96

Im not tiptoeing around anything. And of course vram requirements go up incrementally, but the point is still intact regardless of improper wording or phrasing. Just a few short days ago you yourself were asking the "is it enough" question.........now your an expert after browsing a few threads? LOL! Just like if you pair a video card into sli you need to double the ram argument? lol

If anything, you're the one claiming to be the expert around here. I was just showing otherwise.

CORSAIR AX1500i

rjbarker
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: 6GB or 3GB 780? 2014/07/06 12:53:51 (permalink)
^^ He is the "expert" though .....   :)

I9 12900K EK Velocity2 / ROG Z690 Apex/ 32G Dominator DDR5 6000/ Evga RTX 3080Ti FTW3  EK Vector / 980 Pro 512G / 980 Pro 1TB/ Samsung 860 Pro 500G/ WD 4TB Red / AX 1600i /  Corsair 900D & XSPC 480 * 360 * 240 Rads   XSPC Photon 170 Rez-Vario Pump Combo - Alienware 3440*1440p 120Hz/ W11

Rgallant
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 605
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: 6GB or 3GB 780? 2014/07/06 15:22:59 (permalink)
haha seeing as I have no next gen 2015 games on my system to test I would say it's a flip of a coin. but if small max comes with 4 gb then someone is blowing smoke here or inhaling.

BUT
using 8800gts 512 sli, gtx 285 sli  , gtx 580sli with 1.5 gb all hit the vram slow downs at 60 fps or I would still be running the 580's ,da when oc were equal to a gtx 780
[fun fact the 580's did run really hot @940+ wow 36c fully maxed , 780's have never pasted 33c @ 1215+1228] both stock bios as games Don't need the 10% extra mhz with modded bios only the vram]

my 780 3gb sli @ 1440 will run out of vram and will use my own $$$ to update again  ,so user comments about when it will cost me $1500.00 is a ???, and tell other peeps to spend their money on low vram cards , that they them self's will unload asap when the new ones land with more vram is a joke .

-and to the peeps had nv put out 6gb 780's last year I'd be running those.

or had the gtx 580's 3gb had come in a timely manner I still might be running those seeing how the next gen. of games have not hit due to the next gen. of consoles just came out and dev's could not program to a best guess of what consoles would be 2 yrs ago.

I like the ones that tell peeps to spend $$$500.00 x 2 more for the extra 3gb of vram if they wanted more than 3gb for sli who have run out in the past- 780 vs titan not too long ago funny stuff.

why not add fun fact #2
when 780 sli vs 780ti 3 gb run out of grunt and vram [next year or 4k today]they both will come to a gaming stop , say 40 vs 44 fps at 3gb ish
the 6gb 780 sli will not stop at 40 fps and will kept on playing the game at the same settings[ 40ish fps]-- funny how these experts Don't mention that nor do they mention you might have to guess at what you should turn your settings down to in the case of of a VRAM CRASH --20-50% who knows per game.
same peeps need to lay off the nv koolaid and get intervention ,not only here but all other big sites
3dguru , anandtech
6gb of vram is like a red flag in front of a stupid bull ,when most peeps want more than 3 gb [like AMD'S 4gb] but yet they fill the posts after post with useless walls of text to fill their own reasoning of why 6 gb WILL never BE used. lol NOTE THE DISCONNECT
if this is a rant so be it , but I have spent MANY $K of nv sli gpu's running out of vram because of marketing and not tech. reasons and these so called  VRAM experts[benches based on games programed 2-3years ago] function in a different world than I do ,I only pay the price.
post edited by Rgallant - 2014/07/06 20:50:27

3770k [KL370]|| 3xMCR320[basement] || ek bay res|| 655x2 ek-tops || 9xSFF21F || Vl4n
MVF WC || Evga GTX 780 sc 941 sli EK block,s
Sam 256gb 840 Pro|| HAF 932 || 8 gb Tridents 2400
W7HP-64 || 27"A850D || AX1200w || G15,G13,G500s
SB-Z -analog >Yamaha 765 AVR, 4x PSB alpha b1 ,1 x PSB alpha C1 ,10" sub
Ntrain96
FTW Member
Re: 6GB or 3GB 780? 2014/07/07 08:23:24 (permalink)
Rgallant
haha seeing as I have no next gen 2015 games on my system to test I would say it's a flip of a coin. but if small max comes with 4 gb then someone is blowing smoke here or inhaling.

BUT
using 8800gts 512 sli, gtx 285 sli  , gtx 580sli with 1.5 gb all hit the vram slow downs at 60 fps or I would still be running the 580's ,da when oc were equal to a gtx 780
[fun fact the 580's did run really hot @940+ wow 36c fully maxed , 780's have never pasted 33c @ 1215+1228] both stock bios as games Don't need the 10% extra mhz with modded bios only the vram]

my 780 3gb sli @ 1440 will run out of vram and will use my own $$$ to update again  ,so user comments about when it will cost me $1500.00 is a ???, and tell other peeps to spend their money on low vram cards , that they them self's will unload asap when the new ones land with more vram is a joke .

-and to the peeps had nv put out 6gb 780's last year I'd be running those.

or had the gtx 580's 3gb had come in a timely manner I still might be running those seeing how the next gen. of games have not hit due to the next gen. of consoles just came out and dev's could not program to a best guess of what consoles would be 2 yrs ago.

I like the ones that tell peeps to spend $$$500.00 x 2 more for the extra 3gb of vram if they wanted more than 3gb for sli who have run out in the past- 780 vs titan not too long ago funny stuff.

why not add fun fact #2
when 780 sli vs 780ti 3 gb run out of grunt and vram [next year or 4k today]they both will come to a gaming stop , say 40 vs 44 fps at 3gb ish
the 6gb 780 sli will not stop at 40 fps and will kept on playing the game at the same settings[ 40ish fps]-- funny how these experts Don't mention that nor do they mention you might have to guess at what you should turn your settings down to in the case of of a VRAM CRASH --20-50% who knows per game.
same peeps need to lay off the nv koolaid and get intervention ,not only here but all other big sites
3dguru , anandtech
6gb of vram is like a red flag in front of a stupid bull ,when most peeps want more than 3 gb [like AMD'S 4gb] but yet they fill the posts after post with useless walls of text to fill their own reasoning of why 6 gb WILL never BE used. lol NOTE THE DISCONNECT
if this is a rant so be it , but I have spent MANY $K of nv sli gpu's running out of vram because of marketing and not tech. reasons and these so called  VRAM experts[benches based on games programed 2-3years ago] function in a different world than I do ,I only pay the price.

Huh? 0 sense made...........
flyinion
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2283
  • Ribbons : 8
Re: 6GB or 3GB 780? 2014/07/07 10:20:44 (permalink)
Ntrain96

They had Asus 780 ti's at $619 shipped after rebate just a few days ago................in fact there have been a lot of quick 780 ti sales on NE,Amazon, even Micro Center over the last few weeks with various 780 ti's in the low $600 range.

That's nearly $200 more before shipping than I can get a 3GB 780 for directly through EVGA with being able to use my EVGA bucks towards the purchase.

AMD Ryzen 5950X | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK Vector2 | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | WD SN850 2TB | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB & 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | SteelSeries Arctis Pro + GameDAC | Kanto YU2 + Yamaha sub | Schiit Magni 2 Uber & Modi 2 Uber | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro | Custom water loop
rjbarker
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: 6GB or 3GB 780? 2014/07/07 10:35:47 (permalink)
Still $759 here in Canada.....dont see em any cheaper....for 780Ti...+ Water Block + Shipping + Taxes (high in Canada) = $1K Card ;)

flyinion
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2283
  • Ribbons : 8
Re: 6GB or 3GB 780? 2014/07/24 14:09:45 (permalink)
Well, after well over a month I've given up on waiting for EVGA to get 6GB cards back in their store and ordered a 780 SC with ACX card and a backplate this afternoon.  Even with shipping and CA sales tax added in, with my EVGA Bucks it came out to less than the cost of the card alone still.

AMD Ryzen 5950X | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK Vector2 | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | WD SN850 2TB | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB & 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | SteelSeries Arctis Pro + GameDAC | Kanto YU2 + Yamaha sub | Schiit Magni 2 Uber & Modi 2 Uber | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro | Custom water loop
DAVE2HOT4U
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1114
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: 6GB or 3GB 780? 2014/07/24 16:59:04 (permalink)
I dont understand , Why they dont make a option on All video cards to be able to add Vram. Almost like you would add ram to a computer it wouldnt cost that much extra if applied to all video cards. Then if the individual needed more ram he could purchace it from the card manufacturer.
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile