EVGA

Helpful ReplyHot!4 BEEP AT PC START (rtx 3080 xc3)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
JayManB
  • Total Posts : 87
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: 4 BEEP AT PC START (rtx 3080 xc3) 2020/10/09 16:33:22 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
JayManB
I wish Nvidia would figure out why this is happening in the first place.

I've never heard of installing a video card causing issues like this.  Is it because with CSM on the bios is seeing the GPU as a bootable device then realizes its not so beeps 4 times then boots normally off of your HDD.

There are people online that just ignore it and say their PCs work fine other than the 4 beeps.  I also wonder how many people don't even hear the beeps because they don't hook up a case speaker to their MB.  I haven't used a case speaker in like 5 builds.  I mean with QLEDS and Post LEDs built into MBs whats the point.

When this first started happening some of the threads I read online people were telling people to switch PSUs and memory.  I mean what a headache for the end user.  I guess Nvidia didn't have one case of this in their testing.  Its happening with a bunch of different brand cards so this is definitely on Nvidia.

Well I hope you get your PC working again what a bummer to buy a shiny new toy and have to deal with this nonsense.

It was working. The beeps do not cause a performance issue. They are intentional a warning. The issue is in not disabling CSM. By now this should be disabled on every new motherboard by default and only enabled by the user who needs it for backwards compatibility. I've not used it in probably a decade.

I understand they are a warning.  What are they warning you about?  How come the 3080 is the first card that the motherboard has to warn you about something that has to do with booting your PC.  I guess what  I'm asking is what has changed with the 3080s to be causing this?  Also if NV knew about this they should have told their AIB partners to include something in the box that tells the end user about this.  Its stupid that people have to troubleshoot a non issue especially when the first recommendation from every know it all on the forums is usually swap out your PSU.  What a PITA.

Obviously not all MB manufacturers are disabling CSM by default I can't imagine why anyone would go into their bios and enable CSM for no reason.
raigod
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: 4 BEEP AT PC START (rtx 3080 xc3) 2020/10/09 18:22:43 (permalink)
I was able to reinstall windows 10 on csm mode like before. Everything works perfectly but the 4 beeps at the start are still there. Now I have my disks in GPT version so better than before. No way to install with uefi windows
njbongo
  • Total Posts : 68
Re: 4 BEEP AT PC START (rtx 3080 xc3) 2020/10/09 19:18:24 (permalink)
raigod
I was able to reinstall windows 10 on csm mode like before. Everything works perfectly but the 4 beeps at the start are still there. Now I have my disks in GPT version so better than before. No way to install with uefi windows

Well, sorry about that.  There are too many reasons why a UEFI install will not work, to troubleshoot on the forums.  I would need to be in front of your machine to find out why it won't work.  I tried !
Janus
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: 4 BEEP AT PC START (rtx 3080 xc3) 2020/11/08 00:37:07 (permalink)
I’m having this issue but if I disable CSM, video is corrupted when I load Windows. My installation is UEFI. Very strange. With CSM enabled, I get the 4 beeps but my 3080 works perfectly
wONKEyeYEs
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: 4 BEEP AT PC START (rtx 3080 xc3) 2020/11/08 03:22:00 (permalink)
Got the beeps too.
MSI Z170A GAMING PRO. It has a place in BIOS under boot for UEFI or UEFI and Legacy.
I chose UEFI and did a clean OS install but still get dem beeps.
I am going to go AMD next year so hopefully a new MB will not have this problem.
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6777
  • Ribbons : 76
Re: 4 BEEP AT PC START (rtx 3080 xc3) 2020/11/08 07:03:39 (permalink)
wONKEyeYEs
Got the beeps too.
MSI Z170A GAMING PRO. It has a place in BIOS under boot for UEFI or UEFI and Legacy.
I am going to go AMD next year so hopefully a new MB will not have this problem.

There's likely some CSM options that are turned on. They have to be disabled to not get the beep codes.

I've read that the beeps are just the card telling the motherboard that it's UEFI only, and if the motherboard has any CSM options on it will do that beep code.

You can (likely) also mute post code beeps to eliminate all beep codes.
Janus
Re: 4 BEEP AT PC START (rtx 3080 xc3) 2020/11/08 14:37:16 (permalink)
arestavo
wONKEyeYEs
Got the beeps too.

There's likely some CSM options that are turned on. They have to be disabled to not get the beep codes.

I've read that the beeps are just the card telling the motherboard that it's UEFI only, and if the motherboard has any CSM options on it will do that beep code.

It's strange because in my case, if I disable CSM, the video card is unusable, it displays a distorted screen when I load Windows. Very odd. I'll have to live with the beeps as the card works perfectly with CSM enabled. I am using HDMI 2.1 out to an LG C9 TV, maybe its related to that. 
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6777
  • Ribbons : 76
Re: 4 BEEP AT PC START (rtx 3080 xc3) 2020/11/08 15:52:04 (permalink)
Janus
arestavo
wONKEyeYEs
Got the beeps too.

It's strange because in my case, if I disable CSM, the video card is unusable, it displays a distorted screen when I load Windows. Very odd. I'll have to live with the beeps as the card works perfectly with CSM enabled. I am using HDMI 2.1 out to an LG C9 TV, maybe its related to that. 

Sounds like your windows install requires CSM. A likely fix, that isn't worth the time IMO, is to set pure UEFI and install windows fresh. Totally blow away the old install.
Janus
Re: 4 BEEP AT PC START (rtx 3080 xc3) 2020/11/08 17:44:27 (permalink)
arestavo
Janus
arestavo
wONKEyeYEs
Got the beeps too.

Sounds like your windows install requires CSM. A likely fix, that isn't worth the time IMO, is to set pure UEFI and install windows fresh. Totally blow away the old install.

A check of my Windows 10 installation shows that its UEFI.

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \WINDOWS\system32\winload.efi

So should not be the culprit, and like you suggested, I don't think its worth reinstalling Windows just to find out. I think there s either there is something wrong with the 3080 firmware, or my motherboard's firmware (I have the latest BIOS on my ASUS Z370-I) that is preventing the video card from working correctly if CSM is enabled and outputting over HDMI 2.1. It's weird and annoying, but I can live with it as a minor side effect of running on a brand new cutting edge standard.
Super_Menteur
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: 4 BEEP AT PC START (rtx 3080 xc3) 2022/02/28 11:29:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cool GTX 2023/09/21 08:07:43
Hello guys,

I know that the thread is quite old - so maybe it's a bit late for Janus, but I encountered a very similar issue on my setup.
I am running an EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra (10GB) on a Gigabyte Aorus B550 Elite V2 motherboard.

After upgrading the motherboard BIOS to F15a (for other issues related to a Creative sound card) - I ended up in the same situation as Janus.
My setup would not POST normally after always the upgrade, and always gave me the 4 beeps (RTC Malfunction Error) - even after a CMOS battery replacement.

I ended up on this thread and since it was suggested it could be a VGA BIOS issue, I upgraded the BIOS of my 3080.
My card was on 94.02.26.40.CC (02 sept 2020) and I went to 94.02.42.C0.14 (13 mar 2021) -

It seems to have resolved the issue for me - no more error beeps and no errors in 2D or 3D applications.
If something goes horribly wrong in the coming days - I'll come back and report it but everithing seems fine at this point.
PrimeArche
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: 4 BEEP AT PC START (rtx 3080 xc3) 2023/09/20 22:58:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cool GTX 2023/09/21 08:06:54
I was seeing this under a bad bios flash. it had an error it in reflashing the firmware fixed it for my 3080ftw 3 ultra
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 83839
  • Ribbons : 85
Re: 4 BEEP AT PC START (rtx 3080 xc3) 2023/09/20 23:23:24 (permalink)
PrimeArche
I was seeing this under a bad bios flash. it had an error it in reflashing the firmware fixed it for my 3080ftw 3 ultra

Thanks for the feedback

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile