Author
Cancel077
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 201
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/08/05 06:52:30 (permalink)
Hey everyone,

I've been researching about this on these forums and others and although some had similar issues, and even ideas, I haven't seen any confirmations on this so I would like to see if anyone mounted it this way or any thoughts?

I have a noctua nh-d15s as a cooler and I just got the ftw3 hybrid kit. There's no space above the noctua cooler to mount the Rad/fans on top and I don't really want to front mount it either.

My idea is to mount the rad on top and the rad fans outside the case above the rad. The idea will be the same, fans will exhaust the hot air but instead of blowing through the rad it'll just suck it out. How effective is this? Did anyone mount it this way?

Thanks in advance

39 Replies Related Threads

Jstandaert
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 243
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 07:07:38 (permalink)
    it will not be as efficient as having the fans flush against the rad. the gap will allow for the static pressure to dissipate and not create good air pull. Its better than nothing but there will be some air flow loss

Save some Dough-Use my Code

slev21
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 07:20:50 (permalink)
    I would buy a better pc case then the problem is solved.
    Cancel077
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 08:28:12 (permalink)
    Jstandaert
    it will not be as efficient as having the fans flush against the rad. the gap will allow for the static pressure to dissipate and not create good air pull. Its better than nothing but there will be some air flow loss

Would it be better than mounting it to the front though? Or the front would be a better choice then?
    Cancel077
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 08:30:40 (permalink)
    slev21
    I would buy a better pc case then the problem is solved.

Yeah it's either that or buying an aio. Case would probably be a cheaper option (I guess depending on the case or aio, so debatable lol) . I do really like my case though!
    Jstandaert
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 243
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 08:37:47 (permalink)
    If you mount on the front you will get better air flow into the rad, but you will also be blowing that already hot air into your case, rather than cool ambient air. I don't know what case you have, but you said you could mount the rad and then the fans outside the case. could you just put the whole unit "on top" my case would allow for it as the top mesh is removable and since its exhaust there is no risk of dust, but I have an AIO CPU so I don't have the space issue that you do. 

simply put, would front mount be better than gapped top mount? personally it is about equal. you will get better air flow to your GPU but also sending hot air to all your other internals, thus making your GPU cooling solution less effective the longer you run it. but having a gap up top will also not allow the rad to run at peak performance. If you have the option, replacing the case might benefit you. another option is a 120 or 240 AIO for your CPU. but again, not knowing your case and what options you have for mounting even the AIO might not provide a fix.

Save some Dough-Use my Code

Cancel077
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 08:55:20 (permalink)
    My case is a deepcool MATREXX 55 MESH. I could technically mount the rad and the fans on top ("top" of the case as you mentioned). But I'll just have to open up the top grill to allow the tubes to go through. The front of my case is a mesh, so I like the fresh air coming in.

Is there a similar case (same size ish) would you recommend to replace my current one but one that will allow me to mount the rad with the fans up top properly without going outside the case?

Edit: never mind I forgot this is a closed loop for a sec. By me mounting the rad on top of the case, the tubes will have to go around the case so I'll need to have the window open. No ideal for sure.

Jstandaert
    If you mount on the front you will get better air flow into the rad, but you will also be blowing that already hot air into your case, rather than cool ambient air. I don't know what case you have, but you said you could mount the rad and then the fans outside the case. could you just put the whole unit "on top" my case would allow for it as the top mesh is removable and since its exhaust there is no risk of dust, but I have an AIO CPU so I don't have the space issue that you do. 

simply put, would front mount be better than gapped top mount? personally it is about equal. you will get better air flow to your GPU but also sending hot air to all your other internals, thus making your GPU cooling solution less effective the longer you run it. but having a gap up top will also not allow the rad to run at peak performance. If you have the option, replacing the case might benefit you. another option is a 120 or 240 AIO for your CPU. but again, not knowing your case and what options you have for mounting even the AIO might not provide a fix.
    post edited by Cancel077 - 2021/08/05 09:52:14
    KingEngineRevUp
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1030
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 08:58:35 (permalink)
    You can do this but you'll probably need some rubber seals to make sure air doesn't escape. Make sure you get a pretty rigid one, I got this rubber like ones and they don't seal as well. 
    Cancel077
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 09:01:47 (permalink)
    KingEngineRevUp
    You can do this but you'll probably need some rubber seals to make sure air doesn't escape. Make sure you get a pretty rigid one, I got this rubber like ones and they don't seal as well. 

What do you mean by rubber seals so air doesn't escape? You mean dealing it around the fans so air doesn't escape from the sides? Maybe I'm not understanding. If there's a picture of something similar, please post that would be great.
    schmak01
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 174
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 11:21:46 (permalink)

Ambient temp issues from Rads/Fans in an intake config are grossly exaggerated.  I have an H115i Platinum at the top pulling in, and the 3080 Hybrid in the front, pulling in, one 120 at the front top getting fresh air in, two 140mm at the bottom pulling fresh in, ALL fans as intake instead of my back 140 as the sole outtake. With everything cranked up, CB23 in a loop with Port Royal Burn in-test running, fans on a curve, and not even 100%, my ambient case air temps never get above 39c, hits equilibrium around 38.5.  Granted that is an extreme test and real-world I'll never get that hot, gaming it stays around 34-36.  This is in an ambient temp of 25.

I prefer fresh, cold air, against the radiators, high pressure to reduce dust, and have that rear exhaust kicked to higher than normal, min speed 1250 rpm and controlled by ambient temp sensor.  I can crank them all up and put on headphones for it to be cooler, but it's not needed, zero performance difference from my set curve, and full blast. 

You will be fine as long as you orient the rad correctly, and if not doing push/pull, make sure you are set to pull (more air will get through the rad). 

• CPU: 5900X / 3800XT
    • MB: Asus Strix X570-E / Asus TUF B550
    • RAM: 32 GB TridentZ 3200 CL14 (stock timings) / 64 GB Ripjaws 3600 cl 16
    • GPU: EVGA 3080TI Hybrid (converted from FTW 3 Ultra) /  EVGA 3080 Hybrid (converted from FTW 3 Ultra)
    • Storage: Sabrent 2 TB PCIe 4.0 SSD,WD SN750 1 TB PCIe 3.0 SSD / 2x 4TB WD RED Pro, 1x  Sabrent Rocket Pro 1TB,  4x Crucial MX500 2TB
    • Cooling: H115i Pro Platinum / Vetroo 360mm AIO
    • Case: Corsair 680X / Corsair 5000D Black

Cancel077
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 11:47:19 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply.

May I ask why are you not pushing out the air from the CPU's cooler rad? I know you said it doesn't effect your temps as much but why not let hot air out? Just curious.

Also when you said to orient my rad correctly. Right now I'm just using the evgas fans that come with the rad. Is the pull config means that it pulls the air from outside/rad and then just pushed the air out (not through the fins) ? Won't it be technically better having the fans facing outwards towards the outside of the case, so it pulls cold air and then it should push the cool air through the rad's fins? Sorry if it sounds stupid, just isn't sure what's the best setup if I front mount it.

Also the tubes have to be above the gpu right? Should I set up the radiator in a way that it is above the pump but the tubes are on the bottom of the rad? Or do I have the tubes on the bottom (so Rad is "down"?)

Thanks again,

schmak01

Ambient temp issues from Rads/Fans in an intake config are grossly exaggerated.  I have an H115i Platinum at the top pulling in, and the 3080 Hybrid in the front, pulling in, one 120 at the front top getting fresh air in, two 140mm at the bottom pulling fresh in, ALL fans as intake instead of my back 140 as the sole outtake. With everything cranked up, CB23 in a loop with Port Royal Burn in-test running, fans on a curve, and not even 100%, my ambient case air temps never get above 39c, hits equilibrium around 38.5.  Granted that is an extreme test and real-world I'll never get that hot, gaming it stays around 34-36.  This is in an ambient temp of 25.

I prefer fresh, cold air, against the radiators, high pressure to reduce dust, and have that rear exhaust kicked to higher than normal, min speed 1250 rpm and controlled by ambient temp sensor.  I can crank them all up and put on headphones for it to be cooler, but it's not needed, zero performance difference from my set curve, and full blast. 

You will be fine as long as you orient the rad correctly, and if not doing push/pull, make sure you are set to pull (more air will get through the rad). 
    rottentreats
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 242
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 11:58:09 (permalink)
    There are a lot of resources on the interwebs to understand positive/neutral/negative air pressure so I would start there.  Honestly otherwise try stuff and see what works best for you. (there are so many factors that go into this and in the end it might not even matter)

My config is attached, good logical flow of air and tubes in the right places so there will not be bubbles.  I would be curious how it operates with the top as intake but I don't wanna deal with it right now and it is cool enough for my needs.

/edit: I know this doesn't exactly answer your question but a new case and CPU AIO could be fun ;) Otherwise with your limitations I would suggest something like what I have setup. Rad front mounted as intake (in push/pull if possible) with tubes at the bottom is perfecto
    post edited by rottentreats - 2021/08/05 12:01:43

Attached Image(s)

GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID

Spoiler
    this should be on the trunk of a car
    close

schmak01
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 12:05:29 (permalink)
    So exhaust and intake are separate from push and pull.  
    One is the direction of air through the case, the other is the direction of air through the radiator.

I stated that I prefer colder air to hit my radiators, the amount of surface area in a radiator combined with the fresh cool air from outside makes a significant difference in how long it takes the coolant temps to get hot.  If I am starting at a coolant temp of 27c and a ambient temp of 25c, it's going to take longer to saturate the coolant and then the radiator, meaning cooler temps for longer, and for bursty loads, like gaming, it will stay cooler much much longer. Now YMMV depending on environmental issues like ambient temperature, but I can sustain about 5c cooler on my coolant than if I was doing exhaust instead of intake on my CPU radiator.  I think Linus did a video on this since most people are of the mindset convection (warm air rising) is why you would do this, but it doesn't matter.  The convection is so weak that it is overpowered by any fan on the lowest setting.  The air is going to go where your fans tell it, and there are enough gaps in my case for all the hot air to escape via a positive pressure differential between the case and the ambient air.  For closed-loop I probably wouldn't do intake at the top, since enough radiator surface area would be getting fresh air, but for an AIO, it gets me measurable cooler temps and longer boosts.  

Now push-pull refers to the direction the fan is moving the air through the radiator, this is independent of the fans being set as exhaust or intake.  If you were setting up as intake for example, if you install fans on the "front" of the radiator between the case and the rad, those are push, since they are shoving air into the radiator.  Ideally, you would avoid just push, because air will find the path of least resistance.  So if you don't have an air-tight seal between the fans and the radiator, air will leak out the sides instead of going through.

This is why pull, or putting the fans on the "inside" of the radiator is better when not doing both push and pull.  This sucks air or pulls it through the radiator, meaning ALL the air it can move, is moving through it, what happens after it passes the radiator doesn't matter, the path of least resistance is through the fan blades. 

What I meant by mounting the radiator, is not about fans, but pump-to-tube orientation.  Gamers Nexus has a great video of it that's technical, and Jayztwocents has one that dumbs it down a bit.  The TLDR though is the pump must be below the top of the rad, the further down the better, and if you can put the tubes at the bottom, do so. Never, ever, ever, put the pump higher than the radiator for an AIO, as there is air in there and it will kill the motor.  This does not apply to a closed-loop, as that's what your reservoir is for. 

I added a pic of my workstation.  The top rad is in a pull, the Hybrid rad is in a push, which I should put some electrical tape or neoprene to fill the gaps there, but I am not seeing any temp issues to really worry about it.  I had to do push there since I have that top fan bringing fresh air for the VRM, but it really doesn't need it.  It just makes me feel better about the cooling. 

post edited by schmak01 - 2021/08/05 12:19:46

• GPU: EVGA 3080TI Hybrid (converted from FTW 3 Ultra) /  EVGA 3080 Hybrid (converted from FTW 3 Ultra)
    • Storage: Sabrent 2 TB PCIe 4.0 SSD,WD SN750 1 TB PCIe 3.0 SSD / 2x 4TB WD RED Pro, 1x  Sabrent Rocket Pro 1TB,  4x Crucial MX500 2TB

Cancel077
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 12:14:52 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply. That might be my config to start for sure.

Your push/pull configuration, I do have 3 fans in the front, two of then I could for sure use as part of a push/pull. Where did you connect the 2 non-evgas fans as sort of the push? Did you use the aux fan header on the card itself, or did you use on the motherboard as case headers? Just wondering how are they controlled.

Thank you

rottentreats
    There are a lot of resources on the interwebs to understand positive/neutral/negative air pressure so I would start there.  Honestly otherwise try stuff and see what works best for you. (there are so many factors that go into this and in the end it might not even matter)

My config is attached, good logical flow of air and tubes in the right places so there will not be bubbles.  I would be curious how it operates with the top as intake but I don't wanna deal with it right now and it is cool enough for my needs.

/edit: I know this doesn't exactly answer your question but a new case and CPU AIO could be fun ;) Otherwise with your limitations I would suggest something like what I have setup. Rad front mounted as intake (in push/pull if possible) with tubes at the bottom is perfecto
    Cancel077
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 12:29:50 (permalink)
    Thank you for the explanation! I'll try the front mount and see if I can do a push/pull install. I guess for you, you did it as a push due to space limitations, otherwise as per your explanation you would of done the push/pull config.

I'll install my kit tomorrow, and I'll try to do a push/pull.

My next challenge I guess is to figure out how to mount the push fans to the radiators (might need longer screws?) and how do I control them (hook them up to the aux fan with a splitter? Or motherboard control).

Thank you for that clear explanation though!

schmak01

I added a pic of my workstation.  The top rad is in a pull, the Hybrid rad is in a push, which I should put some electrical tape or neoprene to fill the gaps there, but I am not seeing any temp issues to really worry about it.  I had to do push there since I have that top fan bringing fresh air for the VRM, but it really doesn't need it.  It just makes me feel better about the cooling. 

post edited by Cancel077 - 2021/08/05 12:31:03
    rottentreats
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 242
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 12:59:23 (permalink)
    Cancel077
    Where did you connect the 2 non-evgas fans as sort of the push? Did you use the aux fan header on the card itself, or did you use on the motherboard as case headers? Just wondering how are they controlled.

I just used some PWM fan splitters from the card, works great - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086214KM2
    post edited by rottentreats - 2021/08/05 13:01:42

GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID

Spoiler
    this should be on the trunk of a car
    close

Cancel077
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 13:10:37 (permalink)
    Did you need any extra screws to mount the extra fans?

I have a spare splitter to use btw. So I'm assuming you used the empty main fan header from the 3rd fan that was disconnected instead of the aux header?

rottentreats
    Cancel077
    Where did you connect the 2 non-evgas fans as sort of the push? Did you use the aux fan header on the card itself, or did you use on the motherboard as case headers? Just wondering how are they controlled.

I just used some PWM fan splitters from the card, works great - 
    post edited by Cancel077 - 2021/08/05 13:33:03
    kooptroop14
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 14:22:22 (permalink)
    Jealous of your card
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10332
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 14:39:30 (permalink)
    I think you have two choices with this.  

1.  Place the GPU HYBRID AIO in the front of the case, fans inside it's housing area and have the rad installed behind it (preferred) since it should give you some room as it can get tight in there...

OR

2.  Get a CPU AIO, granted you have a great air cooler for the CPU but just have it as a backup and have the CPU AIO (240mm) installed at the top and the GPU AIO at the front.  

If option number 2 is still in the works, have both Front and Top AIOs as intakes to give your radiators the coolest ambient air (filtered) possible as it will make it's way out the rear (positive pressure) with the assistance of a back fan.

If you're not looking for an intake at the top, remember that the front GPU exhaust will enter the top AIO and you'll need to remove the magnetic filter installed in the top of the case otherwise, you'll have air flow bouncing off that filter.  

"A magnetic dustproof net on top and dust-filter in the front and bottom" - Product Page

Just make sure if you're still with option #2 to take measurements that both AIO rads + fan (120mm fam = 25mm thick) will have no issue.

Another thing I will say is to make sure once you install the GPU AIO in the front presumably speaking, you install the rad with it's tubings coming and going from the bottom of the rad to the GPU so any air pockets/bubbles settle at the top of the rad.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Cancel077
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 14:57:29 (permalink)
    I am probably going to go with option #1 first before attempting #2. You are the second person that mentioned to use both top as intake instead. That is very interesting since usually the top is commonly set up as exhaust it seems.

Currently I have 3x front fans as intake and 1x on top as exhaust. I think I'm going use the top fan as intake now as recommended here. It does make sense too, it'll bring fresh cool air in the system so my gpu air intake won't heat up the system that much.

My 3xfront intake fans are currently sitting/mounted at the front of the case not inside the mounting bracket if it makes sense (I took off the front casing off and mounted my fans that way instead of mounting the fans at the back of that bracket inside the case).

So I have enough room inside to mount the GPU radiator and fans to the front. I am just unsure how to mount the radiator now to that mounting bracket/grill. I am assuming I'll need to pop off the front of the case again and feed the screws through my fans. I just need to try it I guess and see how it goes. I'm preparing myself, so not sure if I'll need extra screws or even long screws. Any tips would be helpful for sure.

Thank you!

GTXJackBauer
    I think you have two choices with this.  

1.  Place the GPU HYBRID AIO in the front of the case, fans inside it's housing area and have the rad installed behind it (preferred) since it should give you some room as it can get tight in there...

OR

2.  Get a CPU AIO, granted you have a great air cooler for the CPU but just have it as a backup and have the CPU AIO (240mm) installed at the top and the GPU AIO at the front.  

If option number 2 is still in the works, have both Front and Top AIOs as intakes to give your radiators the coolest ambient air (filtered) possible as it will make it's way out the rear (positive pressure) with the assistance of a back fan.

If you're not looking for an intake at the top, remember that the front GPU exhaust will enter the top AIO and you'll need to remove the magnetic filter installed in the top of the case otherwise, you'll have air flow bouncing off that filter.  

"A magnetic dustproof net on top and dust-filter in the front and bottom" -

Just make sure if you're still with option #2 to take measurements that both AIO rads + fan (120mm fam = 25mm thick) will have no issue.

Another thing I will say is to make sure once you install the GPU AIO in the front presumably speaking, you install the rad with it's tubings coming and going from the bottom of the rad to the GPU so any air pockets/bubbles settle at the top of the rad.
    post edited by Cancel077 - 2021/08/05 14:59:36
    schmak01
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 15:21:34 (permalink)
    To be clear as well, I wouldn’t recommend using the top as intake without a rad there. For air cooling exhaust is probably still preferred since you’ll have those fin stacks so close to the top radiating heat near your VRM.

Cancel077
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 15:58:15 (permalink)
    Ah alright. I thought it applied to all situations but I guess it's just good with the rad on top having as intake. Makes sense now!
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 18:29:41 (permalink)
    Cancel077
    I am probably going to go with option #1 first before attempting #2. You are the second person that mentioned to use both top as intake instead. That is very interesting since usually the top is commonly set up as exhaust it seems.

Currently I have 3x front fans as intake and 1x on top as exhaust. I think I'm going use the top fan as intake now as recommended here. It does make sense too, it'll bring fresh cool air in the system so my gpu air intake won't heat up the system that much.

My 3xfront intake fans are currently sitting/mounted at the front of the case not inside the mounting bracket if it makes sense (I took off the front casing off and mounted my fans that way instead of mounting the fans at the back of that bracket inside the case).

So I have enough room inside to mount the GPU radiator and fans to the front. I am just unsure how to mount the radiator now to that mounting bracket/grill. I am assuming I'll need to pop off the front of the case again and feed the screws through my fans. I just need to try it I guess and see how it goes. I'm preparing myself, so not sure if I'll need extra screws or even long screws. Any tips would be helpful for sure.

Thank you!

I think option #1 is a great idea without having to spend much.  What you have should work well.

As for the fans, just have the 3 front fans as intake in front of the case while installing the radiator to the rear of that front bracket as you stated giving you some internal wiggle room.  The radiator will be installed at the top two 120mm section as the bottom fan might be obstructed by the PSU cover plus, you want the radiator at the highest point with the tubing coming out of the bottom.

You don't have to go Push/Pull.  You could down the road if you'd like but only if you're looking to get every single degree possible.

As for the screws, I use 30mm screws for my custom rads and fans.  You want to stick with 30mm to be on the safe side as you don't want to get them too long and you end up damaging the radiator.  Some rads will come with a stoppage plate at each screw hole but not all always do.

Upon looking at your kit's manual to see what is included in the package, it looks like the long screws are already installed on the radiator in Pull orientation so all you would need to do is remove those and add them to the front for fan/bracket/rad installation.  If the long screws included are only 25mm, you could find some 30mm screws here or a hardware store. 

post edited by GTXJackBauer - 2021/08/05 19:38:57

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    Cancel077
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 19:21:22 (permalink)
    That makes sense. I will measure the existing long screws then and see whether its 25mm or 30mm. 

Thank you appreciate it the help! you and everyone who responded!

Cheers,

GTXJackBauer
    I think option #1 is a great idea without having to spend much.  What you have should work well.

As for the fans, just have the 3 front fans as intake in front of the case while installing the radiator to the rear of that front bracket as you stated giving you some internal wiggle room.  The radiator will be installed at the top two 120mm section as the bottom fan might be obstructed by the PSU cover plus, you want the radiator at the highest point with the tubing coming out of the bottom.

You don't have to go Push/Pull.  You could down the road if you'd like but only if you're looking to get every single degree possible.

As for the screws, I use 30mm screws for my custom rads and fans.  I you want to stick with 30mm to be on the safe side as you don't want to get them too long and you end up damaging the radiator.  Some rads will come with a stoppage plate at each screw hole but not all always do.

Upon looking at your kit's manual to see what is included in the package, it looks like the long screws are already installed on the radiator in Pull orientation so all you would need to do is remove those and add them to the front for fan/bracket/rad installation.  If the long screws included are only 25mm, you could find some 30mm screws here or a hardware store. 

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 19:41:01 (permalink)
    Cancel077
    That makes sense. I will measure the existing long screws then and see whether its 25mm or 30mm. 

Thank you appreciate it the help! you and everyone who responded!

Cheers,

GTXJackBauer

As for the screws, I use 30mm screws for my custom rads and fans.  I you want to stick with 30mm to be on the safe side as you don't want to get them too long and you end up damaging the radiator.  Some rads will come with a stoppage plate at each screw hole but not all always do.

Worse case, you can still install the way the rad and fans are in Pull position and just install the radiator on the bracket with the already included small rad screws from the kit.

No problem.  

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5004
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 19:59:59 (permalink)
    Cancel077
    My case is a deepcool MATREXX 55 MESH. I could technically mount the rad and the fans on top ("top" of the case as you mentioned). But I'll just have to open up the top grill to allow the tubes to go through. The front of my case is a mesh, so I like the fresh air coming in.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.  Put the Hybrid AIO in the front two lower positions with fans pushing intake.  Mount on inside or outside of mounting frame depending on how much depth there is.  Use gaffing tape to seal the fans to the rads.  Would be nice to have a second set of fans on the rad pulling, might be enough space if the rad is on the outside of frame.  Use a 140mm intake in the upper front position to feed the CPU cooler, looks like it can go over that small panel too.  The hybrid rad even with push pull has fairly low air flow and it won't make a difference blowing into the psu/drive shroud, the other upper intake fan will move more air.

Nozler
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2047
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 21:15:01 (permalink)
    A lot of good info here. I googled the gaffing tape, kinda perked my interest if ya know what I mean 

heatware

Cancel077
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 23:09:52 (permalink)
    Interesting on the gaffing tape, I'll look into that!

Wouldn't it better for the radiator to be mounted on the first 2 upper positions? I've read the higher the better for the pump? Good idea on the 140mm air intake on the first top position though.

Also - My current front fans are (all 120mm) are mounted on the outside of the mounting frame. I have enough space on the inside to mount the radar and additional fans for a push/pull configuration.

kevinc313

Sorry I didn't see this sooner.  Put the Hybrid AIO in the front two lower positions with fans pushing intake.  Mount on inside or outside of mounting frame depending on how much depth there is.  Use gaffing tape to seal the fans to the rads.  Would be nice to have a second set of fans on the rad pulling, might be enough space if the rad is on the outside of frame.  Use a 140mm intake in the upper front position to feed the CPU cooler, looks like it can go over that small panel too.  The hybrid rad even with push pull has fairly low air flow and it won't make a difference blowing into the psu/drive shroud, the other upper intake fan will move more air.

Cancel077
    Superclocked Member
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/05 23:12:32 (permalink)
    Yeah that's my thought for sure. Maybe only as a temporary install while I get the screws. I would still rather have it in a push/pull configuration 🙂.

GTXJackBauer

Worse case, you can still install the way the rad and fans are in Pull position and just install the radiator on the bracket with the already included small rad screws from the kit.

No problem.  
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5004
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: 3080ti ftw3 hybrid kit Rad & fans mounting locations 2021/08/06 13:57:04 (permalink)
    Nozler
    A lot of good info here. I googled the gaffing tape, kinda perked my interest if ya know what I mean 

Cancel077
    Interesting on the gaffing tape, I'll look into that!

Gaffing tape and double sided 3M foam mounting tape have endless uses in a PC.  The gaffing tape is very flexy, sticks well, yet leaves minimal residue even after heat and time.  Matte black so it's hard to spot.  Can pass as electric tape. 

Cancel077

Wouldn't it better for the radiator to be mounted on the first 2 upper positions? I've read the higher the better for the pump? Good idea on the 140mm air intake on the first top position though.

Also - My current front fans are (all 120mm) are mounted on the outside of the mounting frame. I have enough space on the inside to mount the radar and additional fans for a push/pull configuration.

kevinc313

The 140mm in the upper spot will give the best unrestricted flow into the CPU cooler.  Unfortunately you have a sealed off lower shroud so there's no bottom intake option and any front bottom intake air will mix around and not flow into the rest of the case very well.  You could potentially remove the shroud.  Flow out of the rad is very slow so less concern going against the shroud.  Probably want to go tubes down but the bend will be tough, can't tell if tubes up will be above the pump.

My Lian Li Lancool has a CLC280 front PP and a 120mm 2150rpm Gentle Typhoon crammed in below it. I actually built a 45 degree angle ramp duct to direct air from that lower fan up into the main chamber.  Then there's two bottom of main chamber intake fans that pull air from the basement, which has mesh side. Those three fans are all partially obstructed but have been successful in cooling a top mount 3080 FTW Hybrid and a 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra.

post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/08/06 14:00:19
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile