3080 ftw ultra Hybrid install review and thermal results

Author
mmmsharp
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2021/03/04 09:44:46 (permalink)
Good day,

Received my Hybrid kit for my 3080 ftw3 ultra yesterday. The reason i wanted to move to the hybrid is because the air cooler with the wraith cooler (amd 3700X, not OCed) put the heat back in my case.  even with decent air flow the ambient temp of the case was in the 80s, possibly 90s on load with long gaming sessions. side of the case was hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch when on air. Case is a "Be Quiet P500" with side window. My room temp ranges from 65-70 right now.  never had issues with the cpu or gpu, other than gpu throttling down some.  i have nxzt x63 coming today for the cpu to get the rest of the cpu heat from dumping into the case.  I can add a picture or two of the final build once the cpu cooler is in and some benchmark screen caps if people are interested.

My first impression is the instructions are missing some important information for the install.  If people are new to installing kits they might be confused.  Adding these details to the instructions would be useful. Other than lacking information, the install was straight forward.  My notes are:
  1. the cables on the shroud/fans are not explained at all.  the radiator fans are suppose to connect gpu shroud fan power.  if you know what you are doing, it makes sense.  if you don't know what you are doing, i can see people connecting the fans to the mobo and have the wrong controls for the rad fans.
  2. LED lights on the rad fan.  you can plug them into each other, and then into the end of the video card to control the fan lights.  this is optional, not required for functioning. but again, not explained anywhere.
    3. Mounting location of the rad.  knowing best locations for mounting the rad, and where to locate the tubes would be helpful to those who don't know in the instructions. there is a note that
says to install on the top of case, and use as an exhaust.  not in the instructions for install, but a separate small note card.
    4. Instructions doesn't list the thermal Pad sizes.  it would be nice to have that information in the kit.
    5. no instructions at all that i could find on the bios updating.  i had to find the link in this thread.

My thermal results with XOC OC bios.
air, idle 23-25 degrees for all temperatures - open case
Hybrid idle 28 degrees gpu, and memory idle is 31-36 degrees.  - Open case

Air, Load - 79 degrees on everything - Open  case
Hybrid load - 50 degrees gpu, 56-59 degrees memory. 30 degree difference on gpu, and 20-25 degree difference on memory.  Open Case

When testing overclocks, and 3dmark benchmarks, temperature on load did not change on air, or on hybrid for me.  Basically, overlocking did not affect my thermals in the small amount of testing i did.  boost does not throttle anymore on the hybrid, it pretty much remains at max clocks exclusively under load.  I have not done a lot of testing on overclocks, but port royal bench completes fine with a +175 core, and +300 mem.  i will get around to finding my max OC in the next few weeks.

The final result of moving to Hybrid was impressive for my card in regards to thermals.  30 degree decrease on the gpu, and 25-20 degree decrease for memory.   Good results, really bad install instructions.

Update: 
I failed to mention those thermals were with my case side off.   I have since close the case, swapped the gpu rad fans for Notura a12x25.  after gaming for a few hours with the case closed the original fans were a little loud for my taste.  case closed, a modest overclock, fan curve on auto.  Gaming for 3 hours in borderlands 3, here are the results.  the fan upgrade really helped with noise.

post edited by mmmsharp - 2021/03/06 10:10:08

Attached Image(s)

14 Replies Related Threads

brandobot
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re: 3080 ftw ultra Hybrid install review and thermal results 2021/03/05 19:24:54 (permalink)
    Thanks for this. I was contemplating between ordering the hybrid kit. I just got the opportunity to buy the 3090 FTW3 Ultra and will be ordering the hybrid kit now.

hyperj123
    Re: 3080 ftw ultra Hybrid install review and thermal results 2021/03/06 15:36:46 (permalink)
    Just curious but if I hit mine with a synthetic load I creep into the 70C range. Is that expected or did I have a bad mount?
    mmmsharp
    Re: 3080 ftw ultra Hybrid install review and thermal results 2021/03/06 18:08:47 (permalink)
    @HYPERJ123 I used the standard pads and putty that came with it.  I think if you clean it off, and use higher quality material you would get better results.   these cards put out alot of heat off the back of them.  closing my case, raised my thermals by 10 degrees. that's because my fans are an exhaust out the top, so the warmer air is going through the rad.  with the case open it was pulling my cold room air, and it is pretty cold in my room.  i would guess 65 is the average.

i have thrown stress tests against the cpu and gpu, and my max temps on gpu1 is 62/63. after the case warms up. i don't know your pc setup, but if your room is warmer, and you have a relatively small case with poor airflow, you could hit higher temps than mine fairly easily.  could be the lock as well.  see if there is any tightening you can do on the 4 gpu screws.  dont hulk out, but make sure they are tight.

My concern is the mem1 and gpu2 temps i posted.  i can not seen to find any details on if these are normally running warmer or not.  I am tempted to get some better pads and kryo down the road.  Maybe this summer when it warms up, but for now i will enjoy the build as it is. 

hyperj123
    Re: 3080 ftw ultra Hybrid install review and thermal results 2021/03/06 18:12:38 (permalink)
    Thanks for your input. PC is in a lian li O11 dynamic. 360mm AIO on the cpu and it's mounted to the back of the case. GPU rad is top mounted. It is warm where my set up is and being though that it's winter I have my heat on. Will see what it's like during summer.
    danbenbb
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: 3080 ftw ultra Hybrid install review and thermal results 2021/09/13 14:30:11 (permalink)
    hyperj123
    Thanks for your input. PC is in a lian li O11 dynamic. 360mm AIO on the cpu and it's mounted to the back of the case. GPU rad is top mounted. It is warm where my set up is and being though that it's winter I have my heat on. Will see what it's like during summer.

What location of rad would you recommend for this setup ?

I would like to put on side behind fans I just don't know if two layers of fans (push/pull) wouldn't hurt the performance.
    Similar to:

Attached Image(s)

eg1122
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 307
    Re: 3080 ftw ultra Hybrid install review and thermal results 2021/09/13 18:40:56 (permalink)
    danbenbb
    hyperj123

I would like to put on side behind fans I just don't know if two layers of fans (push/pull) wouldn't hurt the performance.
    Similar to:

I recommend you put the CPU aio on the side as intake and the hybrid rad on top as exhaust. Not sure if it's possible with that case but mounting the hybrid rad on the back as exhaust would work as well.
    post edited by eg1122 - 2021/09/13 18:42:46

CPU: Intel i9-11900K
    Cooling: Corsair iCue H150i RGB Pro XT
    Fans: 6x Corsair LL120, 4x Corsair ML120 RGB (Capellix), 4x Corsair ML120 Pro RGB
    Mother Board: MSI MEG Z590 Ace
    GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid
    RAM: 4x 8GB CORSAIR Vengeance @XMP 3600mhz
    SSDs(NVME): 1x WD Black SN850 1TB, 1x WD Black SN750 1TB, 1x WD Blue SN550 2TB
    Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X3
    Case: Corsair Crystal Series 680x
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W G2
    Monitor: Asus Strix XG32VQ (144hz)
    Keyboard: Corsair K100 - Cherry MX
    Mouse: Logitech MX Master
    kevinc313
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5004
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: 3080 ftw ultra Hybrid install review and thermal results 2021/09/13 19:41:35 (permalink)
    danbenbb
    hyperj123

Similar to:

Side exhaust with push pull fans.  Make sure to run the bottom intake fans nice and fast. I don't like those grates on the bottom, those are a major downside of the O-11 that I never really noticed before.
    post edited by kevinc313 - 2021/09/13 19:50:57
    danbenbb
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: 3080 ftw ultra Hybrid install review and thermal results 2021/09/14 03:37:05 (permalink)
    Thank you guys I will try both :)
    KingEngineRevUp
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1030
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: 3080 ftw ultra Hybrid install review and thermal results 2021/09/14 12:20:46 (permalink)
    danbenbb
    hyperj123

Similar to:

Having it in push-pull doesn't help that much if it was external. But since this will sit inside of a case and there will be pressure differences to fight over and you will have to exhaust out of those PC case gratings, then push-pull definitely helps in that regard. 

That's my photo of a O11-XL BTW. 
    swiesma82
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re: 3080 ftw ultra Hybrid install review and thermal results 2021/09/14 12:48:51 (permalink)
    I also have the hybrid in a O11 Dynamic.
    It didn’t work at all as intake. Temps were really bad. So now I run as exhaust push/pull and it works good. But it’s hard to get the hot air out of the case on the side.

I also run 3 fans bottom as intake. 360 AIO on top as exhaust.
    NereusHixon
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 108
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 3080 ftw ultra Hybrid install review and thermal results 2021/09/14 13:42:40 (permalink)
    swiesma82
    It didn’t work at all as intake. Temps were really bad. So now I run as exhaust push/pull and it works good. But it’s hard to get the hot air out of the case on the side.

hey buddy, Im running the 3080ti hybrid with push pulls as intake at the side. What do you mean it didn't work at all as intakes ? what were your temps then v/s now as exhausts ?

I too have 3 bottom intakes and a 360 AIO on top as exhausts.

nosomo
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 174
    Re: 3080 ftw ultra Hybrid install review and thermal results 2021/09/14 15:28:41 (permalink)
    For hybrids -- the hybrid kit is direct die cooling, CPUs have IHS.  As such, CPU AIOs should be on case intake only and hybrid GPUs should be on exhaust only.  CPU temps are very sensitive to loop temp so place on case intake, Hybrids are much more efficient at moving heat into the water block so place to exhaust its heat out of the case.

swiesma82
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re: 3080 ftw ultra Hybrid install review and thermal results 2021/09/15 02:49:14 (permalink)
    NereusHixon
    swiesma82

hey buddy, Im running the 3080ti hybrid with push pulls as intake at the side. What do you mean it didn't work at all as intakes ? what were your temps then v/s now as exhausts ?

I have no idea to be honest why it didn’t work on my side. The temps were around 10-15 degrees higher.
    When you put the hand in front of the fan you could feel that air was actually flowing out even though the fan was pushing the air into the case.
    I think the pressure inside the case was too high.
    I run the bottom intake fans at an absolute minimum. So I don’t understand why it didn’t work as intake on the side. Pressure in the case should not be too high.

I don’t know :-(
    NereusHixon
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 108
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 3080 ftw ultra Hybrid install review and thermal results 2021/09/15 06:30:00 (permalink)
    swiesma82
    NereusHixon
    swiesma82

I have no idea to be honest why it didn’t work on my side. The temps were around 10-15 degrees higher.
    When you put the hand in front of the fan you could feel that air was actually flowing out even though the fan was pushing the air into the case.
    I think the pressure inside the case was too high.
    I run the bottom intake fans at an absolute minimum. So I don’t understand why it didn’t work as intake on the side. Pressure in the case should not be too high.

I don’t know :-(

hmm...

yea for me intakes are working very well. I don't go above 65c during 100% gaming load. Had tried exhaust as well as the side, but that would result in 2-3c warmer on the gpu temp.

Also at the same time I understand that I am dumping heat into the case, but the intake fans below and the AIO exhaust fans at the top are doing the job for me to push the air outside via top and rear.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile