EVGA

Helpful Reply3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios?

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
talon951
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1026
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/06/08 11:58:06 (permalink)
They could definitely fix it by increasing the limits in the bios but it would also drive the 8pin power further out of spec. Maybe that's why they have not done anything too. But that's just speculation on my part.

For example the KP 1kw bios will raise the power limit on pretty much any 3090 whether it is 2x8pin or 3x8pin due to the limits being set sky high. Extreme example but shows what can be done.
Audioboxer
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 190
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/06/08 12:02:14 (permalink)
talon951
They could definitely fix it by increasing the limits in the bios but it would also drive the 8pin power further out of spec. Maybe that's why they have not done anything too. But that's just speculation on my part.

For example the KP 1kw bios will raise the power limit on pretty much any 3090 whether it is 2x8pin or 3x8pin due to the limits being set sky high. Extreme example but shows what can be done.

What a layman like myself finds hard to understand here though is why a small number of 3080's seem to go up to 450w with this BIOS, but most, going by forums/Reddit complaints, struggle to get over 400w, or splutter up to maybe 420~430w.

EVGA released the BIOS so they must have at least, in theory, been happy to try and let these cards draw up to 450w.

A lot of people have mentioned power balancing, but I do have to say I don't really know what that is/what handles it. As in, what part of the PCB is the brains behind that. Something at the pins themselves? Is it purely hardware or is software involved?

With zero communication from EVGA people like me aren't knowledgeable enough to really get it on our own. So I'm left looking at an MSI BIOS that appears to draw up to 500w on my EVGA card, or the EVGA BIOS which hardwalls at 400w despite EVGA telling me I should be able to see up to 450w.

Obviously the safest advice for me is live with it, don't run an MSI BIOS if you aren't happy to take a risk. Which is fair enough, but I'd really have liked EVGA or Jacob to have actually responded about this, not ignore it. They, as in EVGA, released a 450w BIOS for this card, so for anyone to call us, the end users, uppity/unreasonable, for querying this, is unfounded.

If they hadn't released this 450w BIOS that would have been an answer in of itself, but they did, so they should at least respond to why some/most of these cards cannot handle it. Or, now as we've found out with this MSI BIOS, "cannot" handle it. While my 1 card is a small sample size, I've not seen a single problem across any games from crashing or anything with the likes of OCP/restarts or shutdowns.

Like, customer support actually ghosted me after saying they were away to talk to the BIOS team. That's the first and only time EVGA customer service has ever done that to me. Just adds to the feeling this is an enforced "black out" from up top or something. Which seems way overboard
post edited by Audioboxer - 2022/06/08 12:08:34
AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6681
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/06/08 13:37:45 (permalink)
I'm sure evga is just waiting for the next release to get passed this issue haha.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
carneb
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/06/08 14:42:03 (permalink)
talon951
carneb

After reading your posts about the MSI bios I decided to try it on my 3080 12GB FTW3 card. With the normal bios it will draw 450W under heavy load such as furmark but under normal loads only around 420W. With the MSI Suprim X bios I measured the current on each 8 pin supply with a clamp meter while running furmark and found that it was drawing 163W, 225W, and 83W from input 1,2, and 3 and software reported 63W from the PCIe slot for a total of 534W! As a comparison with the normal EVGA bios I read 135W, 188W, 84W from inputs 1,2,3 and 47W from PCIe slot for a total of 454W. The card will also draw more power under normal use with the MSI bios pulling around 480W instead of 420 in benchmarks.

What does GPUZ/HWINFO show for power readings on the EVGA bios?  Curious how the monitoring app readings compare to the clamp meter readings.

When running furmark with the EVGA bios GPU-Z was reporting 156, 152, and 94W. It seems No. 2 draws more power as found by a 3080 Ti owner on another forum, and 1 and 3 draw less power than the actual measured current draw. It is the 12GB bios I flashed I'm not sure the 10GB bios would work.

talon951
FTW Member
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/06/08 15:13:05 (permalink)
carneb

When running furmark with the EVGA bios GPU-Z was reporting 156, 152, and 94W. It seems No. 2 draws more power as found by a 3080 Ti owner on another forum, and 1 and 3 draw less power than the actual measured current draw. It is the 12GB bios I flashed I'm not sure the 10GB bios would work.

Yea that was me (3080ti clamp meter measurements). Interesting that the difference in 8pin #2 is similar (about 30w). But I found #1 and #3 to be fairly accurate on my 3080ti though.

But yea that 3080 really hammers #2 with the MSI bios. Flirting with the 20 amp fuse limit.
carneb
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/06/09 02:15:17 (permalink)
talon951
carneb

Yea that was me (3080ti clamp meter measurements). Interesting that the difference in 8pin #2 is similar (about 30w). But I found #1 and #3 to be fairly accurate on my 3080ti though.

But yea that 3080 really hammers #2 with the MSI bios. Flirting with the 20 amp fuse limit.

Yes I agree, it was pulling 18.8 amps so pretty close to 20. I was at one stage thinking about shunt modding, but I'm glad I didn't just blindly do it without doing the measurements first or pin 2 would have probably gone over the 20 amp fuse limit.
Intoxicus
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 406
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/06/29 08:18:54 (permalink)
Audioboxer
talon951

What a layman like myself finds hard to understand here though is why a small number of 3080's seem to go up to 450w with this BIOS, but most, going by forums/Reddit complaints, struggle to get over 400w, or splutter up to maybe 420~430w.

EVGA released the BIOS so they must have at least, in theory, been happy to try and let these cards draw up to 450w.

A lot of people have mentioned power balancing, but I do have to say I don't really know what that is/what handles it. As in, what part of the PCB is the brains behind that. Something at the pins themselves? Is it purely hardware or is software involved?

With zero communication from EVGA people like me aren't knowledgeable enough to really get it on our own. So I'm left looking at an MSI BIOS that appears to draw up to 500w on my EVGA card, or the EVGA BIOS which hardwalls at 400w despite EVGA telling me I should be able to see up to 450w.

Obviously the safest advice for me is live with it, don't run an MSI BIOS if you aren't happy to take a risk. Which is fair enough, but I'd really have liked EVGA or Jacob to have actually responded about this, not ignore it. They, as in EVGA, released a 450w BIOS for this card, so for anyone to call us, the end users, uppity/unreasonable, for querying this, is unfounded.

If they hadn't released this 450w BIOS that would have been an answer in of itself, but they did, so they should at least respond to why some/most of these cards cannot handle it. Or, now as we've found out with this MSI BIOS, "cannot" handle it. While my 1 card is a small sample size, I've not seen a single problem across any games from crashing or anything with the likes of OCP/restarts or shutdowns.

Like, customer support actually ghosted me after saying they were away to talk to the BIOS team. That's the first and only time EVGA customer service has ever done that to me. Just adds to the feeling this is an enforced "black out" from up top or something. Which seems way overboard

Humor me and post a picture of how your power cables are plugged into the GPU.

"Humans are not rational animals, humans are rationalizing animals." -Robert A Heinlein
Audioboxer
Superclocked Member
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/06/29 08:25:12 (permalink)
Intoxicus
Audioboxer
talon951

?

The only way they can be https://imgur.com/a/z0p8FRu

Pics of the build from last month. Only changes since then have been minor.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/06/29 10:14:59 (permalink)
Audioboxer
Intoxicus
Audioboxer
talon951

?

Don't mind him. He's just trying to fish for a way to claim that its your fault.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/06/29 10:31:52 (permalink)
Audioboxer
Intoxicus
Audioboxer
talon951

?

Just noticed that it appears every single fan you have on your loops is intake.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Audioboxer
Superclocked Member
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/06/29 12:07:22 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Audioboxer
Intoxicus
Audioboxer
talon951

?

It is, because it's for 4 rads.

Exhaust is at the front because I'm using a Lian Li custom front. If you thought the front fans were also intake, nah they're exhaust, don't worry.

Works great for temps on the basis of every rad has the coolest ambient air coming across them. Seeing as all my major components are watercooled, even memory, internal case isn't an issue.

And believe it or not, internal case temp isn't an issue, full stop. I monitor the actual temp inside the case with a sensor, let alone obviously look at VRM temps.
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/07/01 04:53:27 (permalink)
Audioboxer
HeavyHemi
Audioboxer
Intoxicus
Audioboxer
talon951

?

Exhaust is at the front because I'm using a Lian Li custom front. If you thought the front fans were also intake, nah they're exhaust, don't worry.

Works great for temps on the basis of every rad has the coolest ambient air coming across them. Seeing as all my major components are watercooled, even memory, internal case isn't an issue.

And believe it or not, internal case temp isn't an issue, full stop. I monitor the actual temp inside the case with a sensor, let alone obviously look at VRM temps.

I preach the same thing all the time. Been doing the same for about a decade.

A rad with intake air is a happy rad.  It won't turn into a furnace in there as some people believe like a hot blow dryer right before the fuse trips.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
Audioboxer
Superclocked Member
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/07/01 04:56:39 (permalink)
GTXJackBauer
Audioboxer
HeavyHemi
Audioboxer
Intoxicus
Audioboxer
talon951

?

I preach the same thing all the time. Been doing the same for about a decade.

A rad with intake air is a happy rad.  It won't turn into a furnace in there as some people believe like a hot blow dryer right before the fuse trips.

Pretty much, hot air will find its way out of a case unless you seal up every single gap in the case. That being said, some external fans at the front really do help me shift the case air out a bit quicker. I mean, I can feel the heat myself of the air. I now have a nice front-facing heater for my room lol.

Only challenge with all rads intake is dust in the case, but I use the Lian Li filters myself and they do a decent job at catching most of the dust. I'm going to buy this kit at some point https://www.demcifilter.com/lian-li-pc-011-dynamic-xl-filter-kit-2 Better quality.
talon951
FTW Member
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/07/01 05:06:13 (permalink)
I researched those filters at one point. They do work well to filter out dirt, but hurt airflow significantly I think. If your priority is keeping out dust then they are a good choice. If you're more interested in the best temps then they are probably not the way to go.
Audioboxer
Superclocked Member
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/07/01 05:24:27 (permalink)
talon951
I researched those filters at one point. They do work well to filter out dirt, but hurt airflow significantly I think. If your priority is keeping out dust then they are a good choice. If you're more interested in the best temps then they are probably not the way to go.

Question would be, worse than the default Lian Li filters? If so, how much worse vs how much better at keeping out dust.

Default Lian Li dust filters have bigger holes. The Demci filters are incredibly fine.

But I guess the one reason I haven't rushed out to buy them is, well, the Lian Li ones are OK. Every few weeks I wipe them down to remove the dust that has built up on them. Within those few weeks, if I look at the nickel backplate of my GPU, there tends to be a few specks of dust here and there sitting on it.

So, any sort of serious build-up, even with 4 intakes, would take a long time as is. Which is probably perfect to leave alone. I just like buying things and tinkering lol.
talon951
FTW Member
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/07/01 06:00:21 (permalink)
Almost any filter that has a finer mesh and hence traps more dirt will be more restrictive. It's a trade off for performance vs dust filtering. You could also bump your fan speed up if you don't mind a little more noise to get the same temps.
kraade
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2369
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/07/01 06:46:39 (permalink)
I thought my lian li filters were bad restrictive when using on the floor with intake fans, but having like the side filters and having a gap before the filters made a huge difference in not affecting the flow. I made spacers for the floor fans then scratched that idea because the floor got a 360 SE and seems to be fine as either intake or exhaust. If I was to try an intake again, I might try a foam filter or thin carbon like on an air purifier.
Audioboxer
Superclocked Member
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/07/01 07:54:28 (permalink)
talon951
Almost any filter that has a finer mesh and hence traps more dirt will be more restrictive. It's a trade off for performance vs dust filtering. You could also bump your fan speed up if you don't mind a little more noise to get the same temps.

That would make sense. Instead of buying the whole kit, I might just buy the pieces needed to do the back of the case.

I've tried running my setup without any dust filters and I just don't notice a difference. But that's maybe just because of 4 rads and using Noctua fans that can probably handle restriction pretty well.

My environment is not really dusty or anything, but even if you clean often you still get dust/lint/hairs floating about. 4 intakes, no matter your environment, is just going to be dust magnet for the insides/radiator fins.

kraade
I thought my lian li filters were bad restrictive when using on the floor with intake fans, but having like the side filters and having a gap before the filters made a huge difference in not affecting the flow. I made spacers for the floor fans then scratched that idea because the floor got a 360 SE and seems to be fine as either intake or exhaust. If I was to try an intake again, I might try a foam filter or thin carbon like on an air purifier.

I've always read having your case on the floor is like the worst thing you can do for dust lol. So yeah, on the floor I would definitely be using filters of some sorts for intakes.
post edited by Audioboxer - 2022/07/01 07:57:50
kraade
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2369
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/07/01 09:10:06 (permalink)
Audioboxer
talon951

That would make sense. Instead of buying the whole kit, I might just buy the pieces needed to do the back of the case.

I've tried running my setup without any dust filters and I just don't notice a difference. But that's maybe just because of 4 rads and using Noctua fans that can probably handle restriction pretty well.

My environment is not really dusty or anything, but even if you clean often you still get dust/lint/hairs floating about. 4 intakes, no matter your environment, is just going to be dust magnet for the insides/radiator fins.

kraade

I've always read having your case on the floor is like the worst thing you can do for dust lol. So yeah, on the floor I would definitely be using filters of some sorts for intakes.

Ya I meant the floor of the case, I was saying the the fans on the grill with the screen on them was bad but if you have space, like the thickness of the rad it doesn't seem to impead the flow very much, the fins straighten out the flow and give the fan a bit of a plenum I guess .
mattschlosser
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/11/25 22:01:06 (permalink)
Well, I am another EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 disappointed buyer you can add to the list.  The card almost never breaks 400w even under stressful test conditions that pull other cards to that limit.  It is not "normal" behavior, even if it does sound nice (or sound true) to say that cards "don't need to stay operating at the very limit just because that is the stated limit". That might be true, but the behavior of these cards in the past is that they DO operate close to the power limit when your power limit slider is at 100%.  And when you have a bios that goes beyond 100%, the average power draw goes up!

Not so with these cards, and I would say it is a defect.  I even have voltage headroom (supposedly the voltage limit is 1.09v on these) at like 1.05v when hitting the 400W power limit.  So my card NEVER goes beyond 1.05 or so, even if I lock the voltage higher in Afterburner.  This is because its hitting the 400W power limited sooner than the voltage limit.

I wish EVGA would release a BIOS with this fixed.  But, since they are no longer in the GPU game, they probably will do nothing.  I consider it to be false advertising.  The reason I got this was because of the stated power limit of 450W lending to better overclocking headroom.  Well, based on what I've seen others go through when discussing this with EVGA, it seems like pretty terrible and apathetic customer service.
post edited by mattschlosser - 2022/11/25 22:02:39
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/11/26 09:44:58 (permalink)
mattschlosser
Well, I am another EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 disappointed buyer you can add to the list.  The card almost never breaks 400w even under stressful test conditions that pull other cards to that limit.  It is not "normal" behavior, even if it does sound nice (or sound true) to say that cards "don't need to stay operating at the very limit just because that is the stated limit". That might be true, but the behavior of these cards in the past is that they DO operate close to the power limit when your power limit slider is at 100%.  And when you have a bios that goes beyond 100%, the average power draw goes up!

Not so with these cards, and I would say it is a defect.  I even have voltage headroom (supposedly the voltage limit is 1.09v on these) at like 1.05v when hitting the 400W power limit.  So my card NEVER goes beyond 1.05 or so, even if I lock the voltage higher in Afterburner.  This is because its hitting the 400W power limited sooner than the voltage limit.

I wish EVGA would release a BIOS with this fixed.  But, since they are no longer in the GPU game, they probably will do nothing.  I consider it to be false advertising.  The reason I got this was because of the stated power limit of 450W lending to better overclocking headroom.  Well, based on what I've seen others go through when discussing this with EVGA, it seems like pretty terrible and apathetic customer service.

I don't have any problem at all hitting 450 watts. It's not a BIOS problem. How about some more details on the rest of your system and what you're using to load the system?
MSI Kombustor stress test should load the GPU to 450 watts using the default stress test. Make sure you have Vsync and any frame limiters disabled. You should be seeing around 140 FPS with the default settings.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

mattschlosser
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/11/26 11:30:51 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
mattschlosser

I don't have any problem at all hitting 450 watts. It's not a BIOS problem. How about some more details on the rest of your system and what you're using to load the system?
MSI Kombustor stress test should load the GPU to 450 watts using the default stress test. Make sure you have Vsync and any frame limiters disabled. You should be seeing around 140 FPS with the default settings.

You're right, it does appear that the program using to load the GPU is the difference.  I used Superposition and 3dMark and Furmark at various settings trying to get one that would load the GPU completely (basically setting resolution and graphics quality to ultra or extreme to draw more watts).  On previous cards (not 3080 ti), Superposition and 3Mark would push the GPU to its max, no so with this 3080 Ti.  Since it seemed to be capping out at 400w, I assumed I was having the same issue that others have stated, all else seeming to be exact or equal in terms of similar symptoms.

But when I used OCCT to load the GPU yesterday it pushed the power to 445w or so and held that for a while, so there is no real "limit" at 400w.  Maybe its just coincidence that the majority of stress test applications, benchmarks, and real-world gaming are only pushing this card to around 400w.  But I can confirm now that my card will reach 450w and hold it, with the right test -- I've only found OCCT to do that, but I will try Kombuster as you mentioned.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/11/26 12:50:17 (permalink)
But in the game where it was limited to 400 watts, what was the "perfcap reason"? Was it "PWR"? If so, you can't blame vsync or computer setup or power supply or anything else other than the card itself. If vsync or framerate limiter was keeping the card from using more power, the perfcap reason wouldn't be "PWR".

Please verify the perfcap reason. It is the metric in this discussion which matters the most.

It isn't fair to use a power virus and then say that a power virus proves that the card is working as intended, when you game as intended with a perfcap reason of "PWR". The reason you bought the card was to game. It should balance and power limit well enough to reach its full advertised potential in the application intended. That is the expectation set forth.

Hemi likes to ignore the details when it comes to this matter. He loves proving that there is one situation where the card uses more power, even though that situation suits no one and the supposed explanation ignores all other details on the matter and is contradictory to what makes sense. Since you haven't verified to us the perfcap reason, I can't say for sure whether he is right or wrong in this instance, but as a general rule this is the same nonsense argument he makes.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2022/11/26 13:00:15

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

mattschlosser
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/11/26 13:01:57 (permalink)
ty_ger07
But in the game where it was limited to 400 watts, what was the "perfcap reason"? Was it "PWR"? If so, you can't blame vsync or computer setup or power supply or anything else other than the card itself. If vsync or framerate limiter was keeping the card from using more power, the perfcap reason wouldn't be "PWR".

Please verify the perfcap reason. It is the metric in this discussion which matters the most.

It isn't fair to use a power virus and then say that a power virus proves that the card is working as intended, when you game as intended with a perfcap reason of "PWR". The reason you bought the card was to game. It should balance and power limit well enough to reach its full advertised potential in the application intended. That is the expectation set forth.

Hemi likes to ignore the details when it comes to this matter. He loves proving that there is one situation where the card uses more power, even though that situation suits no one and the explanation ignores all other details on the matter.

I will need to look and see if there even was any perfcap reason.  I do not know.

But using OCCT to get the card to pull 450w does prove that its possible to hit 450w and sustain it, and that there isn't a hard power limit at 400w.  How would it allow a power virus to pull 450w but know to limit a game to 400w (presuming that game SHOULD be pulling more than 400w)?
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/11/26 16:22:36 (permalink)
mattschlosser
ty_ger07

Hemi likes to ignore the details when it comes to this matter. He loves proving that there is one situation where the card uses more power, even though that situation suits no one and the explanation ignores all other details on the matter.

I will need to look and see if there even was any perfcap reason.  I do not know.

But using OCCT to get the card to pull 450w does prove that its possible to hit 450w and sustain it, and that there isn't a hard power limit at 400w.  How would it allow a power virus to pull 450w but know to limit a game to 400w (presuming that game SHOULD be pulling more than 400w)?

Because the card doesn't power balance properly; if you find the right power virus which loads up the right thing, you could reach the power limit before the power balance issue plays its role. It's been proven plenty of times, but Hemi won't look at anything other than his perspective.

We know that the card can use 450 watts, but often we see that power balancing problems causes one input to limit everything way before the total expected power limit.

Hemi's approach is that if he can show that one scenario doesn't exhibit the problem, it is no problem. When I push him on the subject of intended use, disregard of the other indications, and falling below expectations, his response is 'maybe that is the way it is supposed to work'. Yeah, right. Every other video card is history didn't exhibit this behavior, the problem exists primarily along lines of product segmentation, and EVGA had a special RMA program to specifically attempt to resolve this issue with the higher-end models due to overwhelming outcry, but ignored trying to improve the lower-end models which would cut into the performance marketing of the higher-end models.

IF your card is prematurely limited in performance due to an unexpectedly low power perfcap event, seeing your card reach full expected perfomance in one situation is not an indication that everything is fine. All it does is mock you about a level of performance which you will not obtain for your normal intended application.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2022/11/26 20:18:43

mattschlosser
Re: 3080 FTW3 Ultra not going over 400w even with 450w bios? 2022/11/28 22:40:42 (permalink)
ty_ger07
mattschlosser
ty_ger07

Because the card doesn't power balance properly; if you find the right power virus which loads up the right thing, you could reach the power limit before the power balance issue plays its role. It's been proven plenty of times, but Hemi won't look at anything other than his perspective.

We know that the card can use 450 watts, but often we see that power balancing problems causes one input to limit everything way before the total expected power limit.

Hemi's approach is that if he can show that one scenario doesn't exhibit the problem, it is no problem. When I push him on the subject of intended use, disregard of the other indications, and falling below expectations, his response is 'maybe that is the way it is supposed to work'. Yeah, right. Every other video card is history didn't exhibit this behavior, the problem exists primarily along lines of product segmentation, and EVGA had a special RMA program to specifically attempt to resolve this issue with the higher-end models due to overwhelming outcry, but ignored trying to improve the lower-end models which would cut into the performance marketing of the higher-end models.

IF your card is prematurely limited in performance due to an unexpectedly low power perfcap event, seeing your card reach full expected perfomance in one situation is not an indication that everything is fine. All it does is mock you about a level of performance which you will not obtain for your normal intended application.

I ran the Superposition benchmark with GPU-Z sensors open -- you are right, it was PerfCap = pwr.  So even though it hovered around 400W the whole time, it was hitting the performance cap due to power when it should have another 50W of headroom.  So, what's the recourse? Will EVGA replace if you RMA?  Seems like you are correct and that our cards don't perform at the stated power limit according to what is expected.
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile