EVGA

Helpful Reply240mm CLC wondering what temperatures are users getting?

Author
EpicSurvivor
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 164
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/05/13 10:43:02 (permalink)
I got an i7 9700k running at stock speed with an EVGA CLC 240mm AIO. While playing Battlefield 4 for an hour and a half my temperatures reached 67c. I was wondering what were other users temperatures for the 240mm variant?

Thanks

CPU-Intel ® Core i7 3770K 3.5 (Soon to be OC)
MoBo-ASUSTeK P8Z77 V-LK
GPU-EVGA GTX680 2GB 
Memory-Corsair Vengeance (2X4GB) DDR3 1600 
OS-Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
PSU-CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750
Monitor- Asus VG248QE 24" 144hz!!  1MS
Mouse-Logitech G700 with Goliathus mouse Pad
HDD-SAMSUNG Spinpoint 1TB 7200RPM
Case-Rosewill Blackhawk Case (AVOID)
SSD-Pending 
Successfully Built on 8/31/12
Luminoth Prime
  • Total Posts : 22
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: 240mm CLC wondering what temperatures are users getting? 2020/05/14 17:07:37 (permalink)
So I'm not an expert, I'm actually learning a lot about this stuff as I built my latest PC with cooling in mind this past September. However, I have the same processor and CLC as you, so I think I can offer a good comparison and hopefully answers.

I also have an i7-9700k, clocked to 4.6-4.8 GHz, and I've always ran it with the same CLC as you. I live in Arizona, so right now it's in the low 90's outside, and inside the room I'm in it's 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit (AC is expensive, especially during the day). So I'm not in the most optimal environment for a cool PC, but I still get pretty good results with my build. I have the CLC positioned at the front of my case as an intake, taking air in from the front panel and into my case. However, I have two Noctua Chromax NF-F12 fans pushing air through my radiator instead of the stock EVGA fans, but in my small amount of comparing, it didn't make much of a temperature difference (though they're certainly quieter).

My processor idles at 32-34 degrees Celsius, depending on the ambient temperature. During the winter, when it would be half the temperatures outside at night as it is right now, and I left the windows open to the room overnight, I got much cooler temperatures than that. But generally, my processor rarely goes beyond 50 degrees Celsius. The games that have hammered it the most have been Star Wars: Battlefront II and Battlefield V (Frostbite loves to hammer the CPU it seems). I used to get temperatures between 55-60 with those games, but that was because my case's front panel didn't have great airflow. When I took off the front panel, the temperatures would go down considerably, down to 50 give or take. I got a front panel that's a mesh now and has much better airflow, and get the same results.

I just played about half a round of Battlefield 4 64 player Conquest on Giants of Karelia, all settings on High or above, running at a stable 1440p and 144 fps, and my temperatures were stable at a range of 44-48 degrees Celsius, which is typical for my system, as I said above. So my results are about 20 degrees cooler than yours, despite having the same CLC and processor, playing the same game at rather demanding settings.

What case and GPU are you using? Those two components can have an effect on your CPU performance/temps. The case obviously for airflow or radiator placement, but something I just learned in a JayzTwoCents video recently where he talked about how "streaming PC's" are unnecessary, as you can get good results with relatively low-level or budget parts, is that the more work you offload to the graphics card, the less work that's being demanded of the CPU. E.g., turning game settings up to high will put more demand on the GPU, reduce the amount of frames being rendered, and thus reduce the workload of the CPU, decreasing its temperatures as well. So if you have an underpowered GPU, or are playing on low graphics settings and getting super crazy framerates, that can have an effect as well.
EpicSurvivor
Superclocked Member
Re: 240mm CLC wondering what temperatures are users getting? 2020/05/14 17:11:26 (permalink)
Thanks for your reply. That's insane! I don't understand how there can be such a gap difference in temperatures. I have the MasterCase Pro 5. What voltage do you use for your overclock and what Motherboard are you using?

MoBo-ASUSTeK P8Z77 V-LK
GPU-EVGA GTX680 2GB 
SSD-Pending 
Luminoth Prime
Re: 240mm CLC wondering what temperatures are users getting? 2020/05/14 17:50:13 (permalink)
EpicSurvivor
Thanks for your reply. That's insane! I don't understand how there can be such a gap difference in temperatures. I have the MasterCase Pro 5. What voltage do you use for your overclock and what Motherboard are you using?

My motherboard is an MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus. I don't know for sure the voltage, since the overclock seems to be automatic through Intel's Turbo Boost Max Technology (it's enabled by default, and I never set any specific overclock settings). My motherboard BIOS says that it's at 3.6 GHz and 1.0 volts, but when I boot Windows, it automatically goes to 4.6-4.8 (though knowing exactly what clock it is isn't clear; RivaTuner shows a locked 4600 MHz on all cores every time, but HWMonitor shows fluctuating speeds from anywhere between 800 MHz to 4800 MHz on different cores). I've never touched any BIOS settings for processor speeds, but I have enabled XMP for my RAM. According to HWMonitor, my processor is running at generally 1.160 volts.

Again, I'm not an expert, I'm learning some of this stuff as I go. I just put the computer together and it's been automatically overclocking my processor for me, and I just shrugged.

That case looks like it would have decent airflow. Where do you have your radiator positioned, and how do you have the fans configured?

In addition, what are your idle temperatures, and how are you getting to 67 degrees? Is it a steady rise and then it peaks out around there, or does it jump up there more rapidly?
EpicSurvivor
Superclocked Member
Re: 240mm CLC wondering what temperatures are users getting? 2020/05/14 17:54:38 (permalink)
I have the AIO on top with Rad first then fans under the rad. I also have Two 140mm fans in front as intake and One rear exhaust 140mm Fan. My idle temps are about 30c. I don't think it stays at 67c but it might hover over it for a few minutes. I get 67 degrees in Battlefield 4 after an hour and a half.

MoBo-ASUSTeK P8Z77 V-LK
GPU-EVGA GTX680 2GB 
SSD-Pending 
Luminoth Prime
Re: 240mm CLC wondering what temperatures are users getting? 2020/05/14 18:14:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby XrayMan 2020/05/17 15:00:24
EpicSurvivor
I have the AIO on top with Rad first then fans under the rad. I also have Two 140mm fans in front as intake and One rear exhaust 140mm Fan. My idle temps are about 30c. I don't think it stays at 67c but it might hover over it for a few minutes. I get 67 degrees in Battlefield 4 after an hour and a half.

So you have two fans pushing air out the top of your PC through the radiator? Should be fine with all those fans. That idle temperature seems great, too.

Some basic troubleshooting or data-gathering steps I would try:
  • Monitor your CPU's temperature from when you launch the game and see how the temperature climbs. If it shoots from 30 degrees to 60 immediately, then there's something bizarre going on there. If it shoots to, like, 40-50, and the steadily climbs up to 60+ over time, then that is probably an issue with airflow to the radiator.
  • Check your radiator fan speed while in a game to see how they're performing. What speed/RPM are they running at? If you have them plugged into the CLC, you can check and control it in EVGA Flow Control. Put your hand over the vent to feel the air coming out, and see if there's good airflow or how warm the air is.
  • While you're in a game and your temperatures are high, open up the side of your case and feel how the fans are doing to check the airflow inside your case. Make sure the other fans are intaking/exhausting air like they're supposed to.
  • Check the temperature of your other components, such as your GPU or system/motherboard.
Based on that information, we might be able to get an idea of how or why your processor is heating up so much.
EpicSurvivor
Superclocked Member
Re: 240mm CLC wondering what temperatures are users getting? 2020/05/14 18:16:34 (permalink)
Thanks I'll keep these things in mind.

MoBo-ASUSTeK P8Z77 V-LK
GPU-EVGA GTX680 2GB 
SSD-Pending 
Jump to: