List of recommended PSUs

Author
boredgunner
Over 9000!
  • Total Posts : 19181
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 79
2010/05/07 18:36:43 (permalink)
The power supply unit (PSU) is a critical part of the PC that is commonly overlooked. Even though most of you know that it supplies power to the rest of your PC (whether it is directly or indirectly), people go cheap on the PSU. Buying a low end PSU can easily cause many issues in your PC, so the smart thing to do is to make sure you get a quality unit.

I recommend reading a PSU glossary to understand the basic terms of power supplies.  

http://www.coolermaster.com/glossary.php

What are the Requirements for ATX Specification?

Performance-wise, the following are required.
  • 5% line regulation (+/- 0.25v) for the +5v and +5v VSB rail with a max of 50 mV ripple voltage
  • 5% line regulation (+/- 0.25v) for the -5v rail with a max of 50 mV ripple voltage
  • 5% line regulation (+/- 0.25v) for the +3.3v rail with a max of 50 mV ripple voltage
  • 5% line regulation (+/- 0.60v) for the +12v rail with a max of 120 mV ripple voltage
  • 10% line regulation (+/-1.20v) for the -12v rail with a max of 120 mV ripple voltage

How Can I Find Out How Much Power My PC Uses?
The best thing to do is to use a kill-a-watt and measure the amount of power being used.  You can also look up the max power consumption of your components, but to give you a basic idea, use a PSU calculator such as this one.

http://www.coolermaster.outervision.com/advance.jsp

What Should I Look for When Buying a PSU?

Look at the brand name, total power, +12v power, +12v distribution, and reviews for a PSU before purchasing one.  You should invest in a power supply that has high end capacitors that are rated for 85 degrees Celsius or higher, an active PFC, good heat sinks/cooling, and other things that the PSU glossary above mentions.

What's so Important About the +12v Rail?

The +12v rail powers modern motherboards, CPU cores, drives, fans, and video cards.  So you want a PSU that can provide ample +12v power with good line regulation and ripple voltage.  Good efficiency is highly preferred as well (at least 80 Plus certified).

Many people debate about whether or not single +12v rails are better than multiple +12v rails.  The truth is, most of these people are confused and wrong.  First of all, most power supplies have only one +12v rail (power source).  This power is divided into different outputs.  Most power supplies that have multiple +12v rails (I don't know of a PSU that has more than two +12v rails) are rated for over 1000W.  Here is a good read on the splitting of +12v rails.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

The Bottom Line - if it is a good PSU, it doesn't matter how many +12v rails/outputs it has.  

How to Calculate Combined +12v Power

Adding up the max power of the +12v outputs does not give you the continuous combined +12v power.  

This is a picture of my Antec TruePower New 750W power supply.  It has four +12v outputs, each has a 25A rating.  So 25A x 4 = 100A.  That is my +12v power right?  Wrong.  The sticker on this PSU is very clear, notice at the bottom it says +12v max load is 62A.  Not all stickers are this straight forward.  For example...

This is a first generation Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000W power supply.  Notice how the six +12v outputs have an 18A rating.  Again, that's the max load that each output can safely output.  Notice how it says 960W below the peak amperage ratings.  That is the combined +12v wattage.  Wattage / volts = amperes.  

960W / 12v = 80A

Efficiency

Efficiency is an important factor with power supplies.  Nobody wants a high electric bill, or wasted power.  I highly recommend buying a power supply that is at least 80 Plus Certified.

80 PLUS is an innovative, electric utility-funded incentive program to integrate more energy-efficient power supplies into desktop computers and servers. Participating utilities and energy efficiency organizations across North America have contributed over $5 million of incentives to help the computer industry transition to 80 PLUS certified power supplies. 

Power supplies with an Active Power Factor Correction (Active PFC) have much higher efficiency than power supplies with a Passive PFC. Active Power Factor Correction PSU will automatically detect whether the input voltage range is between 90V~264V and adjust compatible output voltage. The PF value is much higher than Passive Power Factor Correction. 

What About Cooling?

Most power supplies are cooled by fans and heat sinks.  80mm fan designs are common, but the use of 120mm fans, 135mm fans, or 140mm fans is becoming more common.  I don't recommend passively cooled power supplies (no fans).  

80mm cooling solutions create a wind tunnel inside of the PSU chassis.  The 80mm fan is placed on the rear of the PSU, and the front of the PSU has ventilation holes.  The fan sucks air through the ventilation holes and the air leaves straight through the back of the PSU.  This design is the most effective for cooling.  The heat generated by PSU components is removed very quickly.  The downside is noise - the small little 80mm fan has to spin faster to cool properly.

120mm/135mm/140mm cooling solutions are used in order to lower noise.  The fan is placed on the top of the PSU, and blows air down onto the components and heat sinks of the power supply.  The rear of the PSU is usually ventilated.  This design does not cool as well as 80mm cooling designs, it takes a longer amount of time for the heat to leave the PSU.  But if you're after silence, this is the design you want.  

The cooling design of a PSU doesn't really matter, as long as the PSU has good heat sinks and a fan.  Check review sites to see how it performs under load and overloaded.  

Who Makes my PSU?

See here.

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/psu_manufacturers

Good Brand Names

• Antec - The HCP, TruePower Quattro, TruePower New, CPX series, and Signature series are all excellent.  The TruePower Trio and EarthWatts are old but decent, while the Basiq are low end.
  • Cooler Master - The UCP series have excellent line regulation and efficiency, but mediocre ripple voltage.  The Real Power series are great but hard to find.  The Silent Pro M series are okay but have group regulated rails, the GX series have ripple voltage issues, and the rest of their PSUs are low end.
  • Corsair - As far as I know, they don't have any bad power supplies.  All of their PSUs are good or better.  They have a PSU for everyone, whether you have a low budget or a high one.  Highly recommended.
  • Enermax - Good choice overall.  The Galaxy EVO series are great, the Revolution85+ series are even better.  However, their PSUs cost a lot of money, sometimes they aren't worth buying.  They manufacture their own power supplies.
  • PC Power & Cooling - Much like Corsair, you can't go wrong with PC Power & Cooling.  Unfortunately they do not have any modular power supplies... yet.  Many of their old (and very good) power supplies have been discontinued.
  • Seasonic - OEM for lots of power supplies, lots to choose from.  Several of which are incredible (M12D series).
  • Silverstone - They have good and bad power supplies.  Please look for reviews before you choose, this goes for any PSU.  Their customer service is said to be lacking.
  • Thermaltake - Lots of good power supplies and some bad ones, but their good ones tend to be overpriced.
  • XFX - Good overall manufacturer, many Seasonic rebrands.

• Recommended Power Supplies

Below is a list of power supplies I recommend, categorized by the wattage output.  Price is a factor, I don't recommend decent PSUs that have a ridiculous price.  I do recommend excellent PSUs that have a very high price.

Under 500W

500W-599W
    The Kingwin LZP-550 is the best PSU here, but Antec and Corsair win in value.  

600W-699W

The best unit here is the Kingwin LZP-650.  Unrivaled efficiency and excellent overall performance, at a high cost that is.  The Antec Signature 650W is hard to find.  It has unrivaled line regulation, an unrivaled cooling design, excellent ripple voltage, and a build quality that will keep it running forever.  But regarding value, Corsair has a nice list of winners here.

700W-799W

Many great choices here.  The Antec TP-750 is what I use - I got it for $95.  Great price to performance, but it is hard to find now.  PC Power & Cooling wins in value - with a top tier PSU priced at a mid tier price point, but Kingwin has the performance crown yet again.

800W-999W
    Again, more great choices.  The Enermax Revo85+ series are ridiculously overpriced.  The Antec Signature 850W has the best build quality and best line regulation, but again it is overpriced.  My main recommendations go to the Corsair HX850, Corsair TX950, PC P&C 910W, and the XFX 850W.  If you're feeling spendy, check out the Seasonic Platinum 860 as well.  The Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850W is a great deal at $110 - it performs like a Corsair TX850 with slightly less +12v power.

1000W and above

For ~1000W units, Seasonic leads with its X-1050.  They also hold the performance crown in this wattage range with the 1000W (tied with XFX, which is the same PSU).  For 1200W PSUs, the Antec TPQ 1200 has an excellent value but the Antec HCP 1200 is the best performer.  If you want an ultimate high wattage PSU, go with the Enermax MAXREVO 1350W.  It is built like a tank, and has more +12v power than the Silverstone ST1500.  

I always recommend giving yourself some headroom.  It isn't good to stress a PSU too much.  Running a PSU near it's max capacity won't work well over a long period of time.  

People have reported compatibility issues with the Cooler Master UCP series power supplies, Enermax Revo85+ power supplies, and EVGA X58 motherboards.  The problem has been fixed with the UCP series, I'm not sure if they did the same with the Revo85+ series but the Revo85+ has been discontinued and the UCP series is on its way to being discontinued.  There are better choices anyway.

The list gives you quite a few choices.  Here are my main recommended power supplies in those wattage ranges.

500W-599W - The Corsair VX550 is more powerful than the CM Silent Pro 500W, and the VX550 performs better.  So that gains my recommendation.  The Real Power M520 is comparable to the VX550, but lacks +12v power compared to the VX550 (34A vs 41A) and the Real Power M series is not available in the US.
    600W-699W - Without considering price, the Seasonic X650 is the best overall.  When considering price, the best choice is the Antec TP-650.  
    700W-799W - The Seasonic X750 takes the cake, but factor in price and the best choices are the Antec TP-750 or the XFX 750W (the latter is an extra $25-$30).
    800W-999W - The Corsair HX850 and XFX 850W stand out the most.  They are top tier power supplies.  The Antec SG-850 is in the same league, but it is much more costly and lacks the high efficiency ratings that the HX850 and XFX 850W have.  The Corsair TX950 and Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850W are great deals, if you can live without modular power supplies.
    1000W - After looking at reviews and prices, the Silverstone Strider 1000W stands out the most.  It is cheaper than the HX1000 and it performs better, while keeping a modular cable design.  
    1200W-1250W - The Antec TPQ 1200 is the best in my opinion.  Very reasonable price, while the performance is hard to match, much less beat.  

Once you get to the 1500W range, you don't have many choices.  You have the Silverstone Strider 1500W, the ULTRA X4 1600W, and a Thermaltake Toughpower 1500W if you can find one (they have been discontinued).  All are great choices, but the Silverstone ST1500 has the best performance.  A user here posted his horrible experiences with Silverstone customer service.  Keep this in mind.

post edited by boredgunner - 2012/04/10 10:17:58

19 Replies Related Threads

HalloweenWeed
      CLASSIFIED Member
      • Total Posts : 4792
      • Ribbons : 37
      Re:List of recommended PSUs 2010/05/07 19:08:41 (permalink)
      Wow, you're tryin' for another ribbon, huh? Well I'd vote for that.

+1

Main (gaming) rig: i7-3930K; Asus Rampage IV Extreme; H100 W/p-p Excaliburs, AS5; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB.
      See my primary ModsRigs: Adam for the rest, and I have a second (wife's) rig Asus Rampage III Extreme & 960: Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.
      _ShannonR
      iCX Member
      • Total Posts : 438
      • Ribbons : 2
      Re:List of recommended PSUs 2010/05/08 00:53:24 (permalink)
      very nice writeup!!!

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
      3 Way TITAN Blacks
      TPX-1475 PSU
      LSI SSD RAID
      4960X 5.0GHz on Water
      64GB Patriot Viper 2400

Overclocking Graveyard
      Too many new chips to list.....980X I forget how high LN2,W3580 5.7 GHz 1.79V on LN2, W3520 4.9GHz 1.57V on LN2, E8600  5.9Ghz 1.68V on Dice, E8400  5.5Ghz 1.68V on Dice, Q6600  4.7Ghz 1.52V on Dice, Cel 430 4.2Ghz 1.62V on Dice
      boredgunner
      Over 9000!
      Re:List of recommended PSUs 2010/05/08 06:38:21 (permalink)
      Thanks for the comments.  This was on the old forum, but it needed to be redone.  So I started all over again.  I'm not really sure why it's grey, oh well.

rlynn23
      CLASSIFIED Member
      • Total Posts : 2168
      • Ribbons : 3
      Re:List of recommended PSUs 2010/05/08 07:36:45 (permalink)
      Great info for anyone's first build,well done boredgunner!

EVGA 790i FTW
      QX9770 3.2 @ 4.0 
      3DMark 06  24,876 
       http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=10213601

FunkTastic
      Superclocked Member
      • Total Posts : 113
      Re:List of recommended PSUs 2010/05/08 09:07:27 (permalink)
      nice, i might get that cooler master silentpower pro 1000w.
      the only thing i dont like about it is the kind of modular cables it have.

i have the same on my current psu, and all the molex cables are broken (felt out of the socket) and all of the cables are black so thats kind of an problem.

and NorthQ has no kind of support, they never answer emails too it seems like :P

i like the corsair hx1000w and silverstone strider 1200w, but they are quite expensive compared to the CM one.

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4GHz - Crucial Ballistix DDR3 4GB - XFX GeForce GTX 260 - WD Black 1TB 6GB/s - Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H - NorthQ Black Magic Flex 850W - Asus Xonar D1 - Cooler Master 212+ - Cooler Master HAF 922 - Roccat Kone - Logitech G15 - BenQ 22" - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

boredgunner
      Over 9000!
      Re:List of recommended PSUs 2010/05/08 09:10:21 (permalink)
      The Silent Pro M 1000W has flat modular cables.  They might be easier to slip into some places, but I'm not sure how well cable ties work with them.

The HX1000 and Silverstone Strider PSUs cost more because each rail is independently regulated, resulting in better line regulation.  This isn't the case with the CM Silent Pro M 1000W, but it's still a good PSU.  Review here.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=166

kaninja
      Omnipotent Enthusiast
      • Total Posts : 8755
      • Ribbons : 25
      Re:List of recommended PSUs 2010/05/08 09:34:42 (permalink)
      Awesome job, BR well deserved!

Maybe throw a tidbit in there about PFC (Active or non) having nothing to do with the efficiency of the PSU in terms of power usage and savings you will see.  It only benefits the utility.

I've seen it more and more lately, people posting the Active PFC = efficiency fallacy.

K

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
      WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

boredgunner
      Over 9000!
      Re:List of recommended PSUs 2010/05/08 10:02:08 (permalink)
      kaninja

Awesome job, BR well deserved!

Maybe throw a tidbit in there about PFC (Active or non) having nothing to do with the efficiency of the PSU in terms of power usage and savings you will see.  It only benefits the utility.

I've seen it more and more lately, people posting the Active PFC = efficiency fallacy.

K

That's covered in the PSU glossary but good idea.  I think my old thread had it.

FunkTastic
      Superclocked Member
      • Total Posts : 113
      Re:List of recommended PSUs 2010/05/08 11:35:50 (permalink)
      boredgunner

The Silent Pro M 1000W has flat modular cables.  They might be easier to slip into some places, but I'm not sure how well cable ties work with them.

The HX1000 and Silverstone Strider PSUs cost more because each rail is independently regulated, resulting in better line regulation.  This isn't the case with the CM Silent Pro M 1000W, but it's still a good PSU.  Review here.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=166

the problem is the cable plugs, their so small so its very difficult to pull them out of anything.
      and whats usually then is that i pull the cables out of the cable plug itself

thats the case with my current psu, the plugs are so small that i cant get any grip.

and as i mentioned all the cables are black, so i have no idea where to put them back :)

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4GHz - Crucial Ballistix DDR3 4GB - XFX GeForce GTX 260 - WD Black 1TB 6GB/s - Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H - NorthQ Black Magic Flex 850W - Asus Xonar D1 - Cooler Master 212+ - Cooler Master HAF 922 - Roccat Kone - Logitech G15 - BenQ 22" - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

HalloweenWeed
      CLASSIFIED Member
      Re:List of recommended PSUs 2010/05/08 12:09:02 (permalink)
      Congrats on the ribbon, boredgunner, you deserve it.

Main (gaming) rig: i7-3930K; Asus Rampage IV Extreme; H100 W/p-p Excaliburs, AS5; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB.
      See my primary ModsRigs: Adam for the rest, and I have a second (wife's) rig Asus Rampage III Extreme & 960: Eve.

gomnadz
      iCX Member
      • Total Posts : 269
      Re:List of recommended PSUs 2010/05/08 20:15:59 (permalink)
      boredgunner  I'm not really sure why it's grey, oh well.

because it's old   J/K

Nice write up boregunner, lots of good info.....

heatware link

i7 720 OC~3.6GHz/4.2GHz, EVGA Classified, G.Skill 3x2GB at 1600Mhz(7-7-7-18), ATI 5870 in CrossFire, 3x30GB OCZ Vertex's (RAID 0~90GB) and 3x300GB VelociRaptor's (RAID 0~900GB), Corsair HX 1000W, Mountain Mods Pinnacle 24, Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series, Windows 7, Samsung 2233RZ

E8600 OC ~4.4GHz, Rampage Formula, G.Skill 2x2GB at 1100Mhz (5-5-5-18), EVGA GTX 285 on water, 4x 150GB Raptor's in Raid 0 (600GB), Swiftech GTZ & 3x120 Thermochill rad, Corsair HX 850W, Thermaltake Armor Plus case, ZALMAN MFC2 Muti Fan Controller, HT Omega Claro plus+, Vista 64-bit, Gateway HDMI 22" 
      Fiius
      CLASSIFIED Member
      • Total Posts : 2825
      • Ribbons : 25
      Re:List of recommended PSUs 2010/05/09 12:52:32 (permalink)
      Dont forget Warthorn's What can that PSU Power? thread to size your PSU correctly.

~Fus

"Abyss v2"
      | Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H | Core i5 3570k w/ XSPC Raystorm Waterblock | Corsair AX-650 |
      | 32GB (4x8GB) G.Skill RipJaws X PC3-1600 10-10-10-30 (BXL) |
      | EVGA GTX 670 w/ Heatkiller LT 13105 + Backplate | Crucial M4 240GB SSD | 2x HGST 4TB |
      | Fractal Design Arc Mini | 2x PULL AP-15s on Swiftech MCR240 | D5 w/ Koolance COV-PMP450A Top |
      | Win7 x64 | 2x Dell UltraSharp 2408WFPb | Dell UltraSharp 2407 WFPb |
      danielxcloud
      SSC Member
      • Total Posts : 522
      • Ribbons : 5
      Re:List of recommended PSUs 2011/03/02 15:21:37 (permalink)
      Hey gunner, I noticed you stated that TrueQuattro series are excellent.

My local microcenter is selling this at a decent price (similar to the Silverstone Strider 1000W one that you recommended, that I was about to buy!)

Antec TruePower Link: 
      http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0257465

Which would you prefer or recommend between these 2? And I'm sticking with 1,000w.

HalloweenWeed
      CLASSIFIED Member
      Re:List of recommended PSUs 2012/04/08 07:38:46 (permalink)
      Daym, you haven't updated this list in 2 years. Unfortunate for me since my CM Silent Power Pro 1000 is not powering my wife's dual 5850s under max loads. Oh well, I will wing it.

EDIT: Well I just looked and the carpet yarn was blocking the CM Haf 912 case PSU cooling holes, and there was not much gap to let air in elsewise. I thought the >1/2" feet would take care of that, but not. So I shimmed up her case using 1/2" thick wood under the feet, it's fixed now. Verified using FurMark.
      post edited by HalloweenWeed - 2012/04/08 08:41:04

malVizio
      CLASSIFIED Member
      • Total Posts : 2391
      • Ribbons : 8
      Re:List of recommended PSUs 2012/04/08 19:49:53 (permalink)
      Very nice!!
      But why your choice for the 850 goes to the Corsair HX istead the AX? or the Seasonics X 850 (that as been rebranded by Corsair)...
      and the new Platinum series from Seasonics they looks, from review,  as TOP PSU on sell right now?
      BTW thx for good tips!!

Case:Silverstone FT02 
      M.B.:EVGA DARK X79/PSU: Corsair HX1000 
      GPU:EVGA GTX980Ti SC /RAM:32GB DDR3 Corsair 
      CPU:Intel i7 3930K+Noctua NH-D14
      FANS:3xSilverstone SP200mm 
      SSD/HDD:2xSamsung EVO 850 256/1xPNY 256gb/Seagate 500gb
      MICE:Razer DA Elite/KB:Collermaster Rapid I/
      HP:Shure SRH440/Logitech G633
      Screen:Dell Ultrasharp 2711U
      boredgunner
      Over 9000!
      Re:List of recommended PSUs 2012/04/08 21:21:54 (permalink)
      malVizio

Very nice!!
      But why your choice for the 850 goes to the Corsair HX istead the AX? or the Seasonics X 850 (that as been rebranded by Corsair)...
      and the new Platinum series from Seasonics they looks, from review,  as TOP PSU on sell right now?
      BTW thx for good tips!!

HX850 performs as good as the AX850, and there was a noticeable price difference between the two.  Now the difference is a little less significance, but still there.

EVGA_MikeP
      Assistant Product Manager
      • Total Posts : 128
      • Ribbons : 0
      Re:List of recommended PSUs 2012/04/09 13:29:03 (permalink)
      This thread predates the Corsair AX series

malVizio
      CLASSIFIED Member
      • Total Posts : 2391
      • Ribbons : 8
      Re:List of recommended PSUs 2012/04/09 13:37:27 (permalink)
      lol didn't notice that...my fault!sor

Case:Silverstone FT02 
      M.B.:EVGA DARK X79/PSU: Corsair HX1000 
      GPU:EVGA GTX980Ti SC /RAM:32GB DDR3 Corsair 
      CPU:Intel i7 3930K+Noctua NH-D14
      FANS:3xSilverstone SP200mm 
      SSD/HDD:2xSamsung EVO 850 256/1xPNY 256gb/Seagate 500gb
      MICE:Razer DA Elite/KB:Collermaster Rapid I/
      HP:Shure SRH440/Logitech G633
      Screen:Dell Ultrasharp 2711U
      aka_STEVE_b
      EGC Admin
      • Total Posts : 17692
      • Ribbons : 69
      Re:List of recommended PSUs 2012/04/09 13:43:55 (permalink)

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
      Jump to:
    • Back to Mobile