EVGA

EVGA Precision X: "Sync" option on my GTX 295? better On or Off?

Author
RaptorZX3
  • Total Posts : 44
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/04/21 14:40:54 (permalink)
i got a GTX 295 for my 2nd PC lately, and there's a new option that appeared in Precision X, called "Sync". First, what does "Sync" do, and is it better to turn this on or off?

I remember on my 2 x Voodoo 2 SLI setup, and Voodoo 5500 (2 GPUs there too), when you sync the cards or the GPUs together, games are slightly laggier, but there is no "scanline jags", so when it's off, you get those slight jags, but the games run slightly faster, responding a bit better to controls. I wonder if this is the same thing with newer multi-GPUs cards.

Note: the GTX 295 is the 2nd version, aka "co-op", so 2 GPUs on a single board, with the fan in the middle, not the "sandwich" model.
post edited by RaptorZX3 - 2014/04/21 14:46:28

5 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49181
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: EVGA Precision X: "Sync" option on my GTX 295? better On or Off? 2014/04/21 14:52:17 (permalink)
    Sync keeps the GPU's settings (GPU clock, Mem Clock, Power Target, Temp Target) linked = all settings will be the same for both GPU's. Disable sync to be able to individually adjust each value for each GPU, this will allow higher overclocking due to being able to run each GPU core at it's highest stable value on each GPU. Overclocking with Sync enabled could cause the card to become unstable due to overclocking one of the GPU's to far.    
    RaptorZX3
    Re: EVGA Precision X: "Sync" option on my GTX 295? better On or Off? 2014/04/21 18:31:08 (permalink)
    thank you.

And i think that for such a card, i'm better off using older drivers, right? i had the card doing a "no signal" right when i was playing a game, and i had latest Nvidia drivers (335.something i think). Right now i'm trying 314.22 drivers.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49181
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: EVGA Precision X: "Sync" option on my GTX 295? better On or Off? 2014/04/21 18:32:59 (permalink)
    RaptorZX3
    thank you.

And i think that for such a card, i'm better off using older drivers, right? i had the card doing a "no signal" right when i was playing a game, and i had latest Nvidia drivers (335.something i think). Right now i'm trying 314.22 drivers.

No problem. No, you should always be running the latest drivers. 337.50.

RaptorZX3
    Re: EVGA Precision X: "Sync" option on my GTX 295? better On or Off? 2014/04/21 18:50:36 (permalink)
    well this is funny that there are a lot of peoples saying to not update after a specific version because of a big flaw that make your computer freeze, etc... For example here i use drivers 314.22 on my GTX 560Ti Superclocked, because after that version, my computer may freeze after a long idle time, and many peoples seem to have that problem, and many say it's a driver problem, and Nvidia didn't fixed it yet, so i'm still waiting...

So hearing peoples having problems after a specific version, on their GTX 295, i may even roll back to an older version, like 295.something. But for now i'm trying 314.22 on it.
    NordicJedi
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 12570
    • Ribbons : 77
    Re: EVGA Precision X: "Sync" option on my GTX 295? better On or Off? 2014/04/23 15:45:58 (permalink)
    The way I usually answer the question about "which drivers to use" is that I'll tell people to use the best driver that works, starting with the most recent.  Although people sometimes run into problems, news tends to carry quickly and people sometimes over-exaggerate how good or bad a driver is because "everyone" is having problems with a driver.  For as many people that have problems with a certain driver in a certain setup, there are generally many, many more who don't.  With that said, sometimes there may be a pattern of issues for certain configurations.  I'm not suggesting that you ignore people who are having issues, but at the same time, you have to keep in mind that there are millions of system configurations out there which could influence having issues.

All you can really do is to test the drivers yourself.  I once had a nasty bug with my 9800GTX's in SLI after a certain driver, but most other people didn't.  Likewise, I've had other cards that everyone said would be horrible with certain drivers, and those drivers worked fine for me.  All you can really do is to try out the driver yourself and see whether they work or not.  If it doesn't work, go back to a previous driver until you find one that's stable.  

For 295's, I would leave the sync on, unless you don't plan on running in the hybrid SLI mode and want to OC just one of the gpu's.

6012mhz on L/N2 
    5321mhz on L/N2
    5091mhz on air
    The Lightsaber
    The Emperor Reborn
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile