[Build Thread]: This Old Case - The iMac Killer

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
BrendaEM
  • Total Posts : 31
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2012/05/14 11:26:07 (permalink)
If you get something from reading about my build, please, please make a post for my rig on the link on the side where it says "Mod Rigs Vote for My System" in red. Thank you.

I do CAD, design, video editing, and a bit of gaming. I wanted a lightweight computer that was durable and shipable, but I had found that moving a computer with the monitor was difficult because the monitor was top-heavy on its stand.

I had an old Lian-Li PC-60 case sitting in the garage since my old motherboard chipset fan died. The case was perhaps five years old. It was pretty well made, as well as being light, but it had 80mm fans in it. I don't like just throwing things away if they can be used again.

To fit an 120mm fan in a 80mm hole, I first had to remove the lock latch:  

Then I used the same nibbler found at your local RadioShack to widen the hole. After shaping, I filed it and sanded it to smooth it. The fan just fit in the space between the backplane structure of the case and the case edge where it is folded:

I drilled for rubber grommets. Yes, I did halved a rivet, but I added some anyway.
post edited by BrendaEM - 2012/05/15 22:19:31

57 Replies Related Threads

BrendaEM
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 11:37:57 (permalink)
    Looking at the front, there were two 80mm fans. Because storage is cheap and plentiful, I removed the 3.5 drive cage, entirely. I also removed the lower RAID cage. I laid out some cut lines with Dychem blue and scratched out where I wanted to cut. If you don't have Dichem blue, a marker pen works to lay out lines too : )  

I used the nibbler again to make the cut. This is how it looks before filing and sanding. 

I had a big hole here, so I had to make a filler panel. I was pretty excited to see a 120mm fan in the small case.

post edited by BrendaEM - 2012/05/15 22:16:32
    BrendaEM
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 11:48:26 (permalink)
    I made a cardboard template for the patch panel. It's easier to cut cardboard than aluminum, and cheaper too. I had to find areas where I could rivet to.

Here I am nibbling out the hole for the fan. I use an old typewriter brush to keep the nibbler clean. The nibblers work much better with a few drops of oil now and then.

I filed and sanded the edges of the panel. I try to keep the warping to a minimum, but I still introduced a little, as you can see, from shears, even though I made a far pass before I made a close pass.

post edited by BrendaEM - 2012/05/14 15:21:28
    BrendaEM
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 11:51:52 (permalink)
    I pop-riveted the panel on with blind/pop rivets. Plan as I did, I needed to add a little notch where there was already a rivet. I drilled and added rubber grommets for the 120mm fan. 

post edited by BrendaEM - 2012/05/14 14:47:44
    BrendaEM
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 11:59:59 (permalink)
    The metal on the face of the Lian-Li PC-60 case is easily thick enough to break the blade in the nibbler, and I know that few stores carry the spare blades, which cost almost as much as the nibbler itself. I never cared for those LED light pipes.

Using shears would have warped it. Using a hacksaw would have been miserable, and I didn't have a Sawzaw, so I hogged out a line with a hand drill. It looks bad here, but it gets better.  

I filed and sanded it. Then I added some perforated metal I ordered from onlinemetals. I was going for a kind of steampunk look with the rivets. 

post edited by BrendaEM - 2012/05/14 15:14:21
    BrendaEM
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 12:07:41 (permalink)
    Because I disliked how Lian-Li's cover plates tended to fall out easily in the case, I folded over some of the perforated metal over a scrap of wood, using a rubber mallet. The metal was easy to fold along the hole lines. I riveted it in.  

post edited by BrendaEM - 2012/05/14 14:48:32
    AlphaNerd
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2507
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 12:09:39 (permalink)
    Awesome... That looks really good .

BrendaEM
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 12:19:27 (permalink)
    I added a lot of rivets to make the case strong...enough to stand on. Yes, I did.

On top, I added two stainless steel drawer handles that I found from home depot. These are handy for lifting the computer, and they are fairly strong. Grade 8 screws would be better, but at least there are two screws for each handle.

To prevent warpage, I added small aluminum straps inside the case. You can see them though the power supply opening. They are just strips of 1/8" aluminum. I had to make sure that the straps and screws cleared the power supply. You can also see that I widened the fan bracket as much as I dare. 

While I was back there, I drilled out the blowby/overpressure holes in the back of the case. To deburr them, I carefully touched them each with a running countersink. I chose the cheapest vented cover plates I could find. They are flimsy, but light.

post edited by BrendaEM - 2012/05/14 15:16:47
    BrendaEM
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 12:22:56 (permalink)
    Because I wanted to be able to move the computer without fear of damaging the video card and the motherboard, I wanted a card support rail. First I needed a way to support the ends of the upper rail. 

Then I needed to attach the rail to the case with screws. It must be removable so that the motherboard and other components can be accessed. The left rail mount is riveted from the inside out, so that the drives will still slide in. Clamps help while figuring this all out. It's all about the mock-ups. : )  

Here, you can see that I have the top rail temporarily attached using little fab'ed brackets. More Dychem blue for the layout on the top rail. The lower rail is just a strip of aluminum "U" metal that is drilled and tapped with the same fine thread metric screws that DVD drives and motherboards are attached with. An automatic center punch makes this job much faster than without. I used a variable speed drill for most of the tapping, but I was very careful to: go slow, oil the tap, clear the chips, and try not to break the tap. The lower strip is screwed to the bottom of the case.  

I used a machinist square to draw a line from the first lower rail screw to the upper to make sure they line up. Then, I could lay out the rest of them. I drilled and tapped the upper rail. I think that the tap is 3mm x 1 pitch, but I have to check. With metric taps, it's best to buy the drill bits with the tap because they are very strange sizes.  

post edited by BrendaEM - 2012/05/14 16:39:54
    BrendaEM
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 12:55:10 (permalink)
    For the video card holder "fingers" I started with more aluminum channel. It took me some time to think of a cheap easy way to make them. (You can see the the 120mm fan barely fits on the sides.)  

This is how the video card support fits into the case.

This is my gratuitous EVGA video card product placement shot: ) Living on a fixed income, I have zero machining capability, so I had to come up with a way to make the fingers using what I could find at home depot. I bought all the short rivets leaving only these long ugly ones. The screws are Allen-type and generate a lot of pressure. The finished finger feels like it could support about 40 pounds before failing. The pads are made from old mousepad scraps. I added an additional layer of thin plastic from some discarded electronic something or another, held with double-sided carpet tape.  

When adding metal into a computer case, one must be very sure that no metal touches anything it's not supposed to.  

post edited by BrendaEM - 2012/05/14 15:25:44
    BrendaEM
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 13:05:08 (permalink)
    I thought that the computer might be put down hard, so I wanted the main hard drive well protected.

Taking everything apart before it's thrown away, I salvaged a set of very soft silicone or polyurethane bushings. I used a portion of old CD-ROM drive case, for the outer frame, and I used an old slide-out tray for the inner hard drive carrier. I found that the aluminum was very resonant, so I cut off anything that did not touch the drive. I hogged the bottom of the hard drive carrier out for air and lightness. This wasn't done before I took this photo. I joined the two pieces with bolts, washers, as well as additional homemade sorbothane washers. This silicone bushings are the green-blue things in the photo bottom.

The bushings are this soft, and have a lot of travel.  

Here is the drive isolator viewed from the back. Yes, it is made from junk. I added a strip of "L" channel so I could fix the power cables in the case, and reused some of the anti-chafing strip to protect the wires. The wire mount has 4 holes in it to accept cable clamp screws.

post edited by BrendaEM - 2012/05/14 16:44:53
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102333
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 13:10:58 (permalink)
    This build is looking very, very good!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

BrendaEM
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 13:15:50 (permalink)
    On to the back side.... In wanting the computer strong, I added supports for the CPU heat-sink, making the motherboard area stronger.

Because I wanted to mount a monitor, I added the two vertical aluminum strips. The black things are "U" shaped nutclips which accept 1/4" x 20tpi bolts. I had to notch the strips a little to make it all fit.

Between the rails, you can see the series of holes I drilled so that warm air does not pool in the top of the case. (These aren't done in the upper photo.) To make the holes, I first laid them out in CAD, but Inkscape would work for free, and then I printed them out. I stuck the printout to the case with double sided carpet tape, and then stuck that to the case. I auto-center punched them and drilled them. When I did the front, I used a Roper-Whitney style metal punch to get all I could before I needed to drill. The holes made a nice way for fasten zip-ties too.
    post edited by BrendaEM - 2012/05/15 22:30:15
    w4ss4b3
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4560
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 13:19:43 (permalink)
    Yes indeed. Can't wait to see it complete. GLW/ the rest of the build! =P

HeThing
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6897
    • Ribbons : 42
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 13:21:01 (permalink)
    Looks good.. left a +1 on your modsrigs page.. ;)

BrendaEM
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 13:24:01 (permalink)
    There was a slight gap between the nutclips and the case cover. It would have been impossible to attach the cover with washers inside--if I had not contact-cemented them to the cover. In this pic you and some of the others, you can see that I added indoor-outdoor carpet for sound deadening. This stuff is great and has rubber backing for low frequency and fuzzy stuff to quiet the highs. The carpet is attached with 3M 77 spray contact cement; I believe that there is a less harmful version of 77, now.

One has to be careful because this can keep the heat in the case. If your case is warm already, please don't do this mod. Please check your motherboard, processor, and video card temperatures.

Likewise, I did the front-side cover, as well as areas around the hard drive, the bottom of the video card, and near the power supply.

post edited by BrendaEM - 2012/05/14 16:48:29
    Chemceb
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 353
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 13:27:42 (permalink)
    That's some fine craftsmanship there. Keep it coming.

BrendaEM
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 13:33:53 (permalink)
    My old 24" monitor is heavy, and I didn't want the case tipping over, so I made some retractable feet from 1/4" x 1" flat aluminum. I laid them out. Also pictured is the 1/2" radius tool, also known as a U.S. Quarter : )

I roughed them out with a hacksaw.

Then, I filed them round.

Because I used thick metal for the feet, I needed to make a few spacers also. which I smoothed on a drill. I used lock-washers for tension, scrap plastic washers for smoothness, and nylock nuts so the stay in place. Here an extended foot.

...and here is one that is retracted for moving, or if the computer is set up for floor use, like when I bring it in the livingroom.

Here is a top down of the feet.

post edited by BrendaEM - 2012/05/14 16:51:11
    shrekdaklown
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 920
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 13:38:12 (permalink)
    wow cant wait to see it finished

i went to the darkside (intel) they had cookies lol        
    dont forget to show my modrig some lovins guys
    http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=28174

BrendaEM
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 13:38:48 (permalink)
    Finding the cheapest VESA mount I could, I drilled to match the case mounting holes, and then I lightened it a bit with a step drill, but still this part is heavy. I tried to leave an "X" in the middle for strength. Please excuse the assorted attachment bolts : )

The other side mounts on the monitor, and the monitor just hooks on, a screw can secure it.

post edited by BrendaEM - 2012/05/14 16:52:11
    BrendaEM
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 13:40:59 (permalink)
    A lot of the actual build is unremarkable. Here you can see the first cable clamp in use.

BrendaEM
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 13:48:56 (permalink)
    There was a little self-made drama. At first, I had USB 2.0 in the front of the case...

....but the new motherboard had USB 3.0, which I wanted up front, but I had already started the build. So, what I did, was make a cardboard dam that I taped to the inside of the case. The dam caught all the chips and dust made from widening the front USB area. I even worked upside down, so the chips and dust that might come instead fell down instead of in. I vacuumed out the case well while rapping it. I slept, and vacuumed it out again in the morning. Then I checked it, and then I checked it again.

It's at this point that I want to warn everyone that when doing metal work on computer cases that they must absolutely be free from chips and dust, as they are conductive. Before the build, I washed this case and checked it everywhere including between the panels and all of the nooks and crannies.

Here you can see the USB 3 passed through the case. The ports screw to the front panel (not shown.)  You can also see the hard drive mounted, as well as the VESA monitor mount. The computer has a Vantec dual 2.5 with a card reader and conventional USB.

post edited by BrendaEM - 2012/05/14 16:53:39
    rigmaster
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 268
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 13:52:01 (permalink)
    More Please... This is like a great TV series when is the final episode I'll stay tuned for sure

BrendaEM
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 14:00:29 (permalink)
    I have the build done here, with a Intel 2600k, a GTX 570 AR with a lifetime warranty, I used a Cooler Master heatsink to clear the video card support.  I will replace the stock heatsink fan after a few months because it has only sleeve bearings. I have no idea why Cooler Master would make such an otherwise fine heatsink with a questionable fan choice.

The top video card finger has the plastic strip, because it's touches the video card board. If you can find and afford the EVGA video card rear cover, that would much better than have anything touch the video card board at all.

A closer look, with a bit of barrel distortion in the pic, sorry. At the top you can see all the holes I drilled to keep the air from pooling at the top. You can also see the carpet for sound. I try to keep the cables tied well so that they don't vibrate and stress anything.

A 3/4 view showing the genuine fly-cut carbon-fiber adorned EVGA logo, in a blatant pandering attempt : )

post edited by BrendaEM - 2012/05/14 16:58:41
    HeThing
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6897
    • Ribbons : 42
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 14:14:35 (permalink)
    Some MDPC-sleeve would look really good in that case! :D

BrendaEM
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 14:20:48 (permalink)
    In back, I chose a Corsair HX1050 for its 7 year warranty and its bang-for-the-buck. I have the old 24" behemoth monitor mounted. I made a plastic tab that mounts to the monitor with foam tape, to hold the Logitech video camera. The feet are extended for use. The two screws below the fan mount the video card support rail. The two screws behind the monitor in top mount the vertical support rails.

The steel thumbscrews are heavy. Originally, I planned to use a 2.5" drive, but the 7200rpm 3TB Hitachi was so fast and cheap when I bought it. I hope to get a SSD, someday.  

I tried to keep the monitor close to the case.

From the front you can see how the USB 3.0 is screwed to the front of the case--right through the original door plate : )

This a big monitor.

post edited by BrendaEM - 2012/05/14 15:06:26
    BrendaEM
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 14:27:38 (permalink)
    Here is the computer set up at home. The computer can also be converted for a separate monitor in about 10 minutes. 

With all the carpet in it, the computer runs pretty quiet. Here, I am running Rhino 3D. The computer is shown here with my beloved Logitech G700 mouse, fortified button goodness! Yes, I have it working for Move, Scale, and Rotate in Rhino.

post edited by BrendaEM - 2012/05/14 17:01:47
    BrendaEM
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 14:30:50 (permalink)
    Here I am holding the computer. With a full sized hard drive and the thumbscews, it could be lighter, but it's manageable. Unlike the Mac Pro Handles, these Home Depot ones are rounded and don't hurt my hands. : ) You can see the webcam tab. It's a reversible mod.

From the side.

post edited by BrendaEM - 2012/05/14 17:02:45
    BrendaEM
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 17:12:48 (permalink)
    Thank you for your award: Alphanerd.
    Thank you for the nice comments and points: rjohnson11, esCob4r, HeThing, Chemceb, shrekdaklown, and rigmaster.

HeThing, I looked at additional sleeving for the USB3, but I was trying but failing to keep to my budget. I have to go; I am running late.
    rigmaster
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 268
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:This Old Case - The iMac Killer - Build Thread 2012/05/14 19:11:45 (permalink)
    Love itGreat work

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile