Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 14
Author
mwparrish
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3278
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 23
2012/07/26 17:39:18 (permalink)
It has been 632 days (nearly 2 years) that the persistent motherboard issues have existed.  Many items have been fixed such as "USB Beeps at POST" which makes us all marvel at technological evolution.  Meanwhile other items go quietly unaddressed by EVGA.

UPDATE:  The official EVGA solution to the X79 Gen 1 issues appear to be (http://www.evga.com/articles/00760/):
  • For nearly the price of a brand new, fully functioning, competitor's board, you can be allowed to send back your your broken board, which they've failed to support for over a year, and receive a Gen 2 board with unknown issues for the same lack of support!
  • They want YOU to pay them, in total, NEARLY DOUBLE the cost of a competitor's board (that works right out of the box) to fix their original broken product by replacing it with their next unproven iteration!  Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me!

This thread is to serve as an official bug log for the X79 boards.  I've added some issues I've known, tested for months, and addressed with EVGA but are not yet resolved for reasons no one at EVGA will directly explain.  Feel free to add your own comments, testing, and bugs for consideration on this list that I will maintain until they are resolved.

X79 Bugs:
  • USB 3.0 functionality is unreliable and results in peripheral failure, system freezes/instability, and potential data corruption.
  • XMP v1.3 profiles are not fully supported resulting in system instability and failure to POST.
  • Intel C-States cause system freezes/instability within minutes of booting.
  • PCIE 3.0 not always recognized by the system as active for all PCIE 3.0 graphics cards.
  • CPU VCore Offset Volage setting does not function properly.
  • Restore/fix/fully implement support for non-MBR (GPT) boot drives (including PCIE) FIXED!
  • BIOS Spelling Errors (http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=1693549) FIXED!
  • i7 3820 incompatibility on X79 -KR motherboards FIXED!

To be fair, EVGA continues to state they are working on resolving these issues; however, these problems have not been seriously addressed since these boards launched.  It's time to get serious about it.  These boards continue to have major flaws that make them impossible to use reliably.

EVGA needs to forthrightly address these issues with an honest statement to the community about these issues and what their plan of action to correct them is and their anticipated timeline to have them resolved.  If this does not occur, they should recall the boards and issue refunds to anyone who requests it for breach of warranty in that replacement boards all exhibit the same issues and they presently have no solution to fix it.
post edited by mwparrish - 2013/08/15 21:11:46

Intel Core i7 3930K - 4.7 GHz  |  ASUS Rampage IV Extreme  |  8x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3-2133
2x EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC  |  BenQ XL2420TX - 1920x1080 120Hz LCD  |  Logitech G9x  |  Corsair Vengeance 1500
5x Crucial 128GB SSD  |  LG BD-R Drive  |  Danger Den Torture Rack  |  Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250W

400 Replies Related Threads

alastair666
    • Total Posts : 59
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/26 18:05:05 (permalink)
    excellent initiative, this story has to end ... evga also must take responsibility for everything we've been passed, after spending over 390 € for what? FOR WHAT!? EVGA MOVE!

spam this link in all hw forums ---> http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1687999
    Xtremed
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 473
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/26 19:39:53 (permalink)
    Im also want to suggest if we can add this to this thread.

PCI EX 3.0 not getting fully recognized by the Graphic Cards in the MB, the details in this thread.
    http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=1669772

We get PCI 3.0 at GPU Z but the slot 1 reports to work 16x@2.0, at least in my case, some others reports in other slots the same situation (Slot 4, etc).

Please lets stay on topic! 

Intel Core I7 12700K  || Noctua D15S || ASUS TUF Z690-Plus D4
    32 GB Corsair LPX 3200  (16-18-18-36 @ 1.35V)
    EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra || Acer Predator X34 GS @ 3440x1440 180hz
    Samsung 970 EVO 512GB || Adata SX8200 Pro 2TB
    3TB WD Caviar Green (Media Drive)
    Creative SB ZX Sound Card || Sennheiser HD518 + ModMic II
    Corsair K95 RGB Platinum || Logitech Proteus Core G502  || Logitech G29 + Shifter
    CM H500P Mesh White || PSU NZXT C850
    OS Windows 11 Pro

mwparrish
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/26 20:49:23 (permalink)
    Xtremed

Im also want to suggest if we can add this to this thread.

PCI EX 3.0 not getting fully recognized by the Graphic Cards in the MB, the details in this thread.
    http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=1669772

We get PCI 3.0 at GPU Z but the slot 1 reports to work 16x@2.0, at least in my case, some others reports in other slots the same situation (Slot 4, etc).

Please lets stay on topic! 

Added. Thanks!

Intel Core i7 3930K - 4.7 GHz  |  ASUS Rampage IV Extreme  |  8x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z DDR3-2133
    2x EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC  |  BenQ XL2420TX - 1920x1080 120Hz LCD  |  Logitech G9x  |  Corsair Vengeance 1500
    5x Crucial 128GB SSD  |  LG BD-R Drive  |  Danger Den Torture Rack  |  Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250W

VagueRant
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 711
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/26 21:00:20 (permalink)
    mwparrish

X79 Bugs: 
    • Intel C-States cause system freezes/instability within minutes of booting.

This is the main issue that I have with the board that I want addressed.

3930K - Evga X79 Dark - Corsair CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R - 2xEvga 780 Classifieds in Sli
            Corsair H100 w/AP15 GentleTyphoons - Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD - Corsair AX850 - CM Storm Trooper
        BenQ XL2420TX & XL2420T Monitors in Surround - Logitech G502, Razer Orbweaver Stealth & Razer Blackwidow                                             

linuxrouter
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8043
    • Ribbons : 104
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/26 21:17:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for putting this thread together!
    Johnny_Utah
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4546
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/26 21:34:43 (permalink)
    Thank you mwparrish.

I am experiencing ALL these issues with the exception of XMP.

alastair666
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/26 22:52:28 (permalink)
    i report here my pm with jacob..... incredible!

From EVGA_JacobF  To alastair666
    alastair666

You said that the version k2 is different in hardware from kr..What did you mean? 

KR has hardware tweak to support more CPU's. 

AND

From EVGA_JacobF  To alastair666
    alastair666

but it is fixable via software (BIOS or driver)? or its  an hardware problem?I have not understood this yet 

We are not certain at this point... 

spam this link in all hw forums ---> http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1687999
    clone
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 426
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/27 03:57:01 (permalink)
    Have to agree with this thread EVGA is not what it once was :/

Asus Rog Maximus XII Formula
    10700K @ 4.8ghz 1.20v
    16Gb 8Pack 3600hz
    EVGA 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra
    Watercooled
    Phantek Evolv X
    comrade
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1316
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/27 07:03:01 (permalink)
    What I don't understand is why Intel seems to have written off the LGA 2011 socket and X79 chipset after less than a year, and before it was even finished!

They seem to have hung their board partners out to dry and left them to deal with all the unsatisfied customers!

Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Pro WiFi Amd sTRX4 ATX MB, AMD Ryzen 9 Threadripper 3960x, EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING, 24G-P5-3988-KR, twin - 28" 3840 x 2160 Monitors, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, M2 NVME SSD for OS, 3x2 TB  Samsung 980 Pro SSD's for storage, Samsung SH-203 SATA DVD Drive, Coolermaster 1000 Watt PSU, Win 11 Pro, Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced case. EVGA Z20 Gaming Keyboard, Razer Orochi 2013 Mouse.
    mwparrish
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/27 07:29:16 (permalink)
    comrade

What I don't understand is why Intel seems to have written off the LGA 2011 socket and X79 chipset after less than a year, and before it was even finished!

They seem to have hung their board partners out to dry and left them to deal with all the unsatisfied customers!

Well that's essentially part of this post... here are the issues we experience... stop stonewalling us and tell us what the heck is going on and just make us whole for this mess.  If Intel is to blame, fine, if EVGA, fine, if third-parties, fine!  Just let us know so we can decide what to do next because as it stands now I'm sick of dealing with it after eight month and not even so much as an apology to the customers for their failure to deliver a product that works as advertised.

doorules
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4504
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/27 08:12:14 (permalink)
    comrade

Can you say what exactly makes you think Intel has anything to do with this? Just asking bud.

Seems more to me to be evga bios issues than anything else. 
    comrade
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1316
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/27 09:22:58 (permalink)
    doorules

comrade

Can you say what exactly makes you think Intel has anything to do with this? Just asking bud.

On what is supposed to be their top-line, highest performing, cutting-edge chipset/motherboard, they didn't include native support for USB 3.0 and PCIE 3.0 execution is crippled and left to others to fix.  They have a six-core processor as their top-line model, the latest itteration of which merely raises the clock speed just a tad, while they could have easily unlocked the other two cores on the chip!  They sell the same CPU, in a slowed down and multiplier locked version as a Xeon chip for almost $2000!

They don't seem to be in any hurry to help the board makers fix the obvious gaps they left in this board and from what I read, work on it has stopped completely.

It's not just EVGA that's having problems with this chipset..., it's all the makers.  If it were only one or maybe two, then I could agree with you.  But, since all the X79 boards are having the same problems, I'd put most of the blame on Intel.

Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Pro WiFi Amd sTRX4 ATX MB, AMD Ryzen 9 Threadripper 3960x, EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA HYBRID GAMING, 24G-P5-3988-KR, twin - 28" 3840 x 2160 Monitors, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, M2 NVME SSD for OS, 3x2 TB  Samsung 980 Pro SSD's for storage, Samsung SH-203 SATA DVD Drive, Coolermaster 1000 Watt PSU, Win 11 Pro, Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced case. EVGA Z20 Gaming Keyboard, Razer Orochi 2013 Mouse.
    rdrines
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/27 12:06:56 (permalink)
    It was a surprise to find a thread dedicated to a series of long running issues, and to read about the building frustration in the delay, or rejection, of issues being view serious enough to be handled with better urgency.

I think if I had found this thread earlier I might have made a different motherboard choice in my new x79 build.  In my case I haven't noticed any of the issues listed above, but then this motherboard has only been running a few days since arrival on Monday.  However, this motherboard also isn't fully operational because of mechanical design issue that prevents the EVGA GTX670FTW from being placed in PCIE slot #1, which is the primary PCIE location.  

EVGA's GTX670FTW won't seat in that slot when the standard case front audio panel Molex connector is attached to the x79 rear audio header.  It doesn't fit because the audio header is located under area where the graphics card video connectors are located.  It doesn't fit when the GTX670FTW is placed in the slot #1, because the graphics card connector interface smashes the wires at the top of the front panel audio Molex connector.  With the audio connector preventing the graphics card from fully seating into the Primary PCIE slot, the GTX670FTW can't become operational.

Email conversations, along with images showing the inteference and failed graphics card seating to EVGA support has allowed them to affirm the problem and offer these comments:
    "Answer Date: 07/26/2012
    A: Hello Roger,
    I am sorry to hear that your 670 interferes with your audio pin header. Do you have another PCI-e slot available? If you do, you can put the graphics card in that slot or you would have to unplug the audio header so that you can use the graphics card.
    Please contact us if you have any further questions.
    Regards,EVGA
    Tech: Matthew Valenzuela"
    I had wished support's answer had been a little more supportive and interested in a solution, but it appears that there is a level of complacency in recognizing that high-end builders purchase hardware based upon what vendors promise their hardware will support.  It also feels like they don't want any ownership of their failures, so they ask customers to accept compromised expectations of their promised performance so they don't have to do anything.

At this point I view this board as having a terminal failure caused by a poor design review process.  It also smacks of an unwillingness to interact between the motherboard and graphics card design teams.  It also signals a support team that isn't creative enough to figure out a solution.  It also signals me that it is time to RMA either the motherboard or the GTX670FTW, or both, because they aren't compatible with each other on the grounds the hardware has failed to perform.

With the board running well for the last few days, it would seem like a shame to toss the motherboard hardware in the trash if other high-end graphics cards would work.  I'm uncomfortable to give up my EVGA stuff because it has served me well over the years, and because I had planned on using a pair of GTX670FTW boards in SLI mode for this build.

Maybe all my EVGA-hardware ideas are a pipe dream.  Maybe I should be more open to other ideas.  I guess, if I could hear back from others on how they've addressed this issue, other than giving up on the front panel audio connections which I use a lot, I would like to hear what graphics cards in the same class and ranking of the GTX670FTW are working with a connector on the read audio panel header on the x79 Classified motherboard.

It would also be good to hear what other ideas might be a solution before I try to escalate this issue further.

Thanks,
    Roger...
    Johnny_Utah
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/27 12:09:58 (permalink)
    comrade

doorules

comrade

On what is supposed to be their top-line, highest performing, cutting-edge chipset/motherboard, they didn't include native support for USB 3.0 and PCIE 3.0 execution is crippled and left to others to fix.  They have a six-core processor as their top-line model, the latest itteration of which merely raises the clock speed just a tad, while they could have easily unlocked the other two cores on the chip!  They sell the same CPU, in a slowed down and multiplier locked version as a Xeon chip for almost $2000!

They don't seem to be in any hurry to help the board makers fix the obvious gaps they left in this board and from what I read, work on it has stopped completely.

It's not just EVGA that's having problems with this chipset..., it's all the makers.  If it were only one or maybe two, then I could agree with you.  But, since all the X79 boards are having the same problems, I'd put most of the blame on Intel.

While I agree on the first part of your post, there are EVGA SPECIFIC issues listed on the OP's post.  There are members here that have other X79 boards (as I do) and I have ZERO issues with it.  This ridiculous USB port problem is not an issue on my other board (nor have I heard about it from any others).  C-STATES issue again, not an issue with anyone else.   If I am wrong here, someone chime in, but I don't have these issues on my other board and have not heard (after checking sites) of anyone else experiencing these either.

randman76
    • Total Posts : 72
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/27 12:54:57 (permalink)
    I agree. These issues are specific to EVGA. I got tired of waiting for the issues to be resolved so I ended up picking up an X79 Asus Rampage IV. Hooked it up, plugged it in, worked perfectly out of the box. No USB drops or OC issues.

I think the best thing for EVGA to do is start from scratch and create a new line of X79 boards and allow a free trade in to customers who have the first set of X79 boards. If they were to do that then I would go back to them.

Randman76  

EVGA X79 Clasified 
    Intel 3960X 
    4 x Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB RAID 0
    2 x EVGA 580 GTX SLI 
    4 x Rip Jaws (1600mhz 9-9-9-24) (4GB Modules)
    Asus Xonar Xense 7.1 Sound Card
    Thermaltake PSU 1200W
    alastair666
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/27 13:45:04 (permalink)
    spam this thread in all the forums,everybody need to know!!!
    so evga to save his reputation must move immediately!

Nightlite
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 269
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/27 13:47:40 (permalink)
    Nah I don't have any issues with my board either, everything is as it should be. but....

Bios is crap, I listed my complaints in another thread and stand by them. Gimme an offset voltage setting that works so I can overclock the way intel had intended. Fixed voltages aren't for everyone anymore.
    alastair666
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/27 13:55:05 (permalink)
    Nightlite

Nah I don't have any issues with my board either, everything is as it should be. but....

Bios is crap, I listed my complaints in another thread and stand by them. Gimme an offset voltage setting that works so I can overclock the way intel had intended. Fixed voltages aren't for everyone anymore.

sure? you have any usb 3 device connected? its only a question of time.. anyway i agree with you on offset

rdrines
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/27 14:15:39 (permalink)
    Message for Mark in reply to his PM message about the audio connector.

Until I get to 10 postings, I can't use the PM interface to reply to your email.  

Your message and offer are kind and generous.  Thank you.  I would like to send a link to where the photos were stored in a zip file on a server so you could see if there is enough room for a different connector, but then again, it takes 10-post to allow a link to survive, or to post an image.

With the above in mind, let's see if this makes it through the forum's Robot eating link machine:  
    tinyurl  uses a series of letters to identify a forward referencing link and their domain is in the COM group.  

Images posted for EVGA support to access are available by adding this series of letters to the tinyurl domain:   /d6qt82t

TinyUrl doesn't use any www in their domain name referencing.   In some browsers you might have to use the http: reference, but not all need it.

To make this obfuscated link work, you'll need to start with tinyurl, put a period after the domain name and then add the Com group before you add the letter series.

If this doesn't work, I'll try to think of something else.  With some level of luck, this posting, plus 1 might get me to a 10-count.  
    mwparrish
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/27 14:26:45 (permalink)
    Nightlite

Adding this... thanks!

rdrines
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/27 14:28:26 (permalink)
    I forgot to add the narrative that explains the images and their sequence of shooting that was given to EVGA Support:
    In image GTX670-01_D1767.png, the GTX670 is inserted partially into the primary PCIE Slot.  In this image the card’s interface connector is pressing down on a fully seated audio connector.  This next image GTX670-02_D1776.png, it shows the card is not fully seated into the Slot#1 connector.  With just a little pressure on the graphics card, the connector’s edge creates a small cut in the blue audio line visible in image GTX670-03_D1786.png. 

When the audio connector is removed from the audio header, the card easily seats into Slot #1 as is shown in image GTX670-04_D1770.png.  Once the card is fully seated into Slot #1, image GTX670-05_D1780.png shows the space available between top of the audio header pins and the bottom side of the graphics card case and connector assemble is less than half the distance of the space needed when the audio connector is in place.

EVGA GTX670 Audio Connector.zip
    If something isn't clear, please ask and I'll try it again.

Thanks,
    Roger...

mwparrish
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/27 15:43:22 (permalink)
    rdrines

I forgot to add the narrative that explains the images and their sequence of shooting that was given to EVGA Support:
    In image GTX670-01_D1767.png, the GTX670 is inserted partially into the primary PCIE Slot.  In this image the card’s interface connector is pressing down on a fully seated audio connector.  This next image GTX670-02_D1776.png, it shows the card is not fully seated into the Slot#1 connector.  With just a little pressure on the graphics card, the connector’s edge creates a small cut in the blue audio line visible in image GTX670-03_D1786.png. 

When the audio connector is removed from the audio header, the card easily seats into Slot #1 as is shown in image GTX670-04_D1770.png.  Once the card is fully seated into Slot #1, image GTX670-05_D1780.png shows the space available between top of the audio header pins and the bottom side of the graphics card case and connector assemble is less than half the distance of the space needed when the audio connector is in place.

EVGA GTX670 Audio Connector.zip
    If something isn't clear, please ask and I'll try it again.

Thanks,
    Roger...

What you're talking has existed on all boards for years from EVGA.  You just have to bend the wire down when it's connected and run the cable above the PCIE connector on the motherboard... doing so usually allows it to tuck neatly under things avoiding the issue you're talking about.

Since this is a general issue related to all EVGA motherboards and not specific to X79, I don't think it's appropriate to include here.

JoeVolcano
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/27 16:00:15 (permalink)
    Hi All,

Thanks to the community for putting this together - I though I would add my woes to the mix...

I originally had a 4 core cpu and earlier mobo - x79 classified - that didn't work with the newer cpu, I decided to upgrade and that was resolved (at least the cpu compatibility)...
    I have 4 memory sticks in my system - (crucial) seems to be VERY solid and works great...
    I have not been able to get the EVGA GTX 670 working in the x79 - it freezes the system requiring a reset or power cycle to get out of. EVGA has been very willing to work with me on this - but I am at wits end, the system works quite nicely with an EVGA GTX 560Ti. I've replaced the power supply. the only (other potential) culprit is memory. I am not overclocking. (setting the memory timing manually). EVGA doesn't suspect the motherboard... (I have run memory tests for 8+ hours and the run flawlessly). So I am caught in the middle.

The USB 3.0 issues are very disconcerting - that is one of the reasons I selected this mobo. I am trying to surface scan a hard disk - and the disk (when on usb 3.0) comes and goes... Totally unacceptable.
    I have (occasionally) seen the power draw to high message on the USB ports from windows - a reboot make this disappear.

So the system is now 99% stable, I have an expensive GPU I am unable to get working and there are still gremlins in this hardware.

Overall - pretty disappointing - seems like Intel should step up and help EVGA help us. Makes me sorry for being an early adopter as this has been a very time consuming and expensive path.

post edited by JoeVolcano - 2012/07/27 16:14:31
    alastair666
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/27 17:00:39 (permalink)
    the fault is only evga, not intel .. other brands of motherboards have none of these problems, xmp 1.3 and USB 3.0 are poorly managed by the bios, the bios on evga are programmed very badly, the last update bios 038 ... rather than fix the myriad problems, have disabled the beeps of the usb, it was super f**king amazing update! evga is at risk of losing a lot of money and trust, and trust me, if this company does not settle things really quickly, this will become a reality for them! never seen such incompetence, shame!
    post edited by alastair666 - 2012/07/27 17:03:05

rdrines
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/27 17:45:38 (permalink)
    Audio connector in this posting is a 10-pin gang header which would never survive any amount of bending.  A right-angled header would probably solve the problem, but once a surface mounting board is completed it is too late.

I don't know how many other boards this audio header is located in a way that would prevent the new GTX series graphics cards from working in Slot#1, the Primary PCIE location, it is still an important problem to get resolved because the front panel audio header is important for some computer uses, and have two products that are intended to work together, not fit together in the location the graphics card manual recommends the graphics card be placed creates a situation where surprise and disappointment unless there would be a reference in the published information that GTX cards placed in the Primary PCIE slot will negate access to the front panel audio header.

It is also frustrating to spend more that $800 on two products and find when they are used together access to the audio panel will be sacrificed, or the card placement won't be possible in the graphics card manual's recommended location.  

With the above said, Thank you for responding and reminding us about keeping the thread on topic.  I believe it is good to keep the thread on topic, so I always think about it before posting.  

In this case this is a real x79 example I'm having.  It might also be something EVGA needs to address with its other motherboards, I don't know.  However, if that is the case, it seems ingenuous of EVGA for this issue not be part of the product literature with the GTX series cards, and, or, the motherboards where the published audio connector interface is promised, but at risk of being negated.
    Nightlite
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 269
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/27 18:14:03 (permalink)
    The new revisions released after the 600 series cards do not have any issue with the HD audio connector and PCIe slot 1. If I may suggest.. and I'm not trying to be cold or misunderstanding; Buying Classified with FTW and SLI available serves little benefit if your not gonna run quad SLI, perhaps you should RMA your Classified for a FTW edition. Or you could buy a sound card.

Either way I highly doubt they are going to physically redesign a board thats been released as long as the classy has, nor is there really anything they could tell you to solve this issue aside what I just did.
    rdrines
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/27 19:30:12 (permalink)
    Nightlite  The new revisions released after the 600 series cards do not have any issue with the HD audio connector and PCIe slot 1.

Your comment must mean only when the audio header doesn't have the panel audio connector connected.  Without the case front panel connector, there is no inteference.  But without the connection, there is no front panel audio available as promised.
    Nightlite If I may suggest.. and I'm not trying to be cold or misunderstanding; Buying Classified with FTW and SLI available serves little benefit if your not gonna run quad SLI, perhaps you should RMA your Classified for a FTW edition. Or you could buy a sound card.

Either way I highly doubt they are going to physically redesign a board thats been released as long as the classy has, nor is there really anything they could tell you to solve this issue aside what I just did.  

I don't disagree with your video card view point.   I would have preferred the SLI board, but the SLI did not have the the extra slot, and it lacked the second power connector that is helpful when pushing the CPU.  If the  FTW had not been an EATX form factor, I would have gone that way before spending more than I wanted for the Classified.

I do hope to use a Dual 670 in twin SLI mode, but unless I pay extra to make up for the loss of the connection, the first card will violate the first card being placed as close to the CPU as possible.

Maybe with the new graphics engines being close to the CPU isn't important any longer.  I don't know, but I hope to do some testing once I get past how I'm feeling about how this issue came about, and has since been handled.  There could also be an "angel" in the EVGA forum who could create a right-angle 2x5 (10-pin) audio adapter so all would work without compromise.

Thanks for responding, and for you ideas.
    mdzcpa
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 311
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/27 19:40:09 (permalink)
    Johnny_Utah
    While I agree on the first part of your post, there are EVGA SPECIFIC issues listed on the OP's post.  There are members here that have other X79 boards (as I do) and I have ZERO issues with it. 

I have to agree.  After 4 months of trouble free use with the RIVE I decided to give the EVGA Classified a whirl to see if i was hasty in my judgement that Asus was the best X79 choice.  The Classified went back after 3 weeks and I've been with the trusty RIVE ever since. Zero issues with that board.  I'm on 8 months now and still humming at 5Ghz with no USB problems, no C state issues, full functionality of on board functions when OC'd, and no spotty memory support.

Although some might complain about native USB 3.0 support which is a disappointing Intel shortcoming, the chronic problems listed by the orginal poster are EVGA specific.  I haven't experienced any of these issues with my RIVE or the P9X79 Deluxe in my son's rig.   Both rigs are rock solid. The only X79 troubles I experienced were with the Classy.  I didn't even bother posting up my disappointing experience 3 months ago because I thought I would just be "piling on" to the everyone elses reports of trouble.  But I must agree with this thread.  I'd like EVGA to get these tiems addressed and restore confidence.  I've been an EVGA fan for years and would like to be again.  But not with thier current crop of X79 offerings.  I fear at this point many of thier issues are hardware design related and cannot be addressed by a BIOS fix.

9900K @ 5.1Ghz
    Asus Maximus Hero XI
    32GB Gskill GTZ RBG @ 4000 
    Asus Strix 2080 Ti OC Edition 
    OS & Apps: 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2
    Games: 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2
    Storage: WD Blue 4TB
    Seasonic 1000 Prime Titanium

Phanteks Evolve X 

Johnny_Utah
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:X79 Series - Unresolved Motherboard Issues Thread 2012/07/28 11:43:10 (permalink)
    I considered selling my X79 Classy, but then I am not comfortable selling an item that is not working properly, and most likely will never.  Even after I DID explain to the purchaser, I would have to heavily discount the item.  I feel really good that I added another 50 bucks to this waste with a lengthened warranty.  Man, lesson learned.   I just threw 525 bucks out the door.

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 14
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile