EVGA

Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
FluffyZack
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 114
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/11/03 17:56:29 (permalink)
Hello all when I play games I get these odds lines that move up and down that are transparent to an extent. Someone has told me this is screen tearing. Can someone tell me how to fix this? I am running Windows 7 Professional and a DVI to VGA adapter for my display. I have a GTX 980 ACX 2.0 with the latest nVidia drivers. Even with Vsync I get slight screen tearing.

I checked my refresh rate and it's 59 Hz and won't change to 60hz. It will let me choose it and select apply but then it goes back to 59Hz. Maybe that could be the issue.

34 Replies Related Threads

FluffyZack
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/03 18:00:05 (permalink)
    I turned on Adaptive Vsync but I don't want 60 FPS. I want more than that. Is there any way I can fix this?
    r0ach
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/03 18:21:54 (permalink)
    Screen tearing can be caused by a multitude of issues.  My 970 FTW card has tearing issues while my Gigabyte 970 doesn't.  I determined the reason for this tearing is because the EVGA card is constantly ramming up against a TDP limit that was set to be the same as the base model card.  This causes tearing, stutter, clock speed fluctuating all over the place, and GPU utilization going under 99% while the Gigabyte 970 holds a solid 99% in the same game.

It really seems like the 980 ACX 2.0 (you have the base model and not SC or anything right?) would not have this TDP issue...

Click my post about the 970 FTW card TDP issue in this same forum.  EVGA really needs to get it together if that's what's causing the tearing on your card too.  To find out, load up a program called "MSI Afterburner", then run a game with the program running.  Close the game or alt tab to Afterburner and look at the setting in sensors tab that says "Power %".  If that is constantly ramming up against 100, then your tearing is probably due to TDP pinging.
    FluffyZack
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/03 19:22:58 (permalink)
    I have the SC version.
    r0ach
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/03 19:39:22 (permalink)
    FluffyZack
    I have the SC version.

Well, try checking the "power %" setting in Afterburner while running a game and if it's constantly ramming against 100 or over, then that's the most likely reason for the tearing and stutter.  If the base model and SC edition are identical hardware, you would probably get less tearing on the base model BIOS.  I have no such option for my 970 FTW card since the base model + SC have a different voltage controller I believe.
    Heini2
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 498
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/03 19:47:14 (permalink)
    FluffyZackHello all when I play games I get these odds lines that move up and down that are transparent to an extent. Someone has told me this is screen tearing. Can someone tell me how to fix this? I am running Windows 7 Professional and a DVI to VGA adapter for my display. I have a GTX 980 ACX 2.0 with the latest nVidia drivers. Even with Vsync I get slight screen tearing.
    I checked my refresh rate and it's 59 Hz and won't change to 60hz. It will let me choose it and select apply but then it goes back to 59Hz. Maybe that could be the issue.

Mine does the same except in games where I turn Vsync on. What's your monitor's max refresh rate?

Z170 Sabertooth Mk1 / i7-6700K + NH-D15 / Trident Z (2x16GB)@3000 / 2080Ti XC Ultra / Essence STX II / 950 Pro 512GB / G3 1000W / MG279Q / HAF XB EVO / Win10 X64 Pro
    GeorgeP
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/03 19:48:57 (permalink)
    Hello,r0ach
    I do apologize for the inconvenience, When it comes to screen tearing there are other factors that can be effecting the card, Unstable power flow through the 12v can cause the system to artifact, coil whine or even cause the system to shut down and reboot.
    One-I would recommend  highly recommend on checking if the PSU is providing consistent power with the card installed. Go into your BIOS and look for the +12v reading, this is typically under 'PC Health Status', System Monitor, Hardware Monitor'. A healthy reading (official ATX spec) is between 11.4 - 12.6v, and stable. However, different brands have different tolerances for overvolting and under volting, if it is outside 11.9v and 12.30v, or if you observe consistent fluctuations of more than .05 volts then this may be a sign of concern for a degraded or failing +12v rail. However, BIOS will only show you an idle reading. Please let us know the values that are being reported, if they are fluctuating and if they are, by how much and how often.
    Two.- Also checking the memory is also key when finding the issue for artifacting, the voltage and latency on your memory would be another area to consider, make sure they are set to the manufactures spec within the bios. The spec can be found on the side of the memory itself.  Also reverting back to stock is a safe practice to implement.
    Lastly Another thing you would want to try is to test it in another computer whether it be a friend or family member's computer. This will give you a better idea of what may be causing the issue, whether it be the video card or another component in your system.
    If all these steps fail to show any foothold in discovering the issue, we can move forward into replacing the GPU.

If you have any further questions or concerns feel free to contact our 24/7 Technical Support at +1.888.881.EVGA (3842).
    r0ach
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/03 20:29:12 (permalink)
    EVGAtech_GeorgeP
    Hello,r0ach
    I do apologize for the inconvenience, When it comes to screen tearing there are other factors that can be effecting the card, Unstable power flow through the 12v can cause the system to artifact

Without trying to hijack the thread, I have an Evga Supernova 1000w and Evga 1300w in my two systems with only a single GPU.  I'm 100% sure in my case that the tearing/stutter on the 970 FTW is an issue with constantly ramming up against the TDP limit because the Gigabyte 970 I've tested in the same system plays with zero tearing and doesn't have TDP issues.

It's kind of a combination of Nvidia turbo boost being not very well designed + EVGA using the lowest TDP limit of any 970 Maxwell aftermarket card while having the highest boost clocks.  Nvidia did not set TDP limits high enough on reference cards and then EVGA came along and made the problem worse with higher clocks.  You people know I'm right.  187w  BIOS limit on the 970 FTW at 110% power slider vs 220w on the MSI 970 vs 196w on Asus Strix vs the Gigabyte with 280w?  There is no reason to have the lowest TDP limit on the highest boosting card sold.
    dbiggs9
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/03 20:35:20 (permalink)
    Good info R0ach.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49170
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/03 20:35:38 (permalink)
    r0ach
    187w  BIOS limit on the 970 FTW at 110% power slider vs 220w on the MSI 970 vs 196w on Asus Strix vs the Gigabyte with 280w?  There is no reason to have the lowest TDP limit on the highest boosting card sold.

+1
    FluffyZack
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/03 21:35:38 (permalink)
    Heini2
    FluffyZackHello all when I play games I get these odds lines that move up and down that are transparent to an extent. Someone has told me this is screen tearing. Can someone tell me how to fix this? I am running Windows 7 Professional and a DVI to VGA adapter for my display. I have a GTX 980 ACX 2.0 with the latest nVidia drivers. Even with Vsync I get slight screen tearing.

Mine does the same except in games where I turn Vsync on. What's your monitor's max refresh rate?

60Hz. But Windows is being stupid and saying it's 59Hz. Read my original post as for what happens.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/03 22:19:43 (permalink)
    FluffyZack
    I turned on Adaptive Vsync but I don't want 60 FPS. I want more than that. Is there any way I can fix this?

When your GPU is rendering frames faster than the refresh rate of your monitor, you're susceptible to screen tearing. This is caused by the screen refresh and the GPU frame buffer being out of sync and displaying partial frames. This has been an issue forever and varies in severity depending upon the game. Triple buffering is one method used to help minimize it.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

astacy12
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 231
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/04 06:35:42 (permalink)
    FluffyZack

So did adaptive Vsync fix the issue? You stated you saw slight tearing still with Vsync, but I'm assuming that was standard Vsync?? If adaptive fixes it then use it. It's there to prevent tearing issues due to higher FPS than the refresh rate (and also to save your GPU from working harder than it should). What is the main reason you are wanting more FPS than what your monitor can handle? It gives zero benefit and causes problems.

I guess another fix would be to crank settings to max and add tons of mods to lower the FPS down closer to your monitor rate.

Side note, does your monitor have any digital inputs?
    FluffyZack
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/04 07:29:39 (permalink)
    astacy12
    FluffyZack

So did adaptive Vsync fix the issue? You stated you saw slight tearing still with Vsync, but I'm assuming that was standard Vsync?? If adaptive fixes it then use it. It's there to prevent tearing issues due to higher FPS than the refresh rate (and also to save your GPU from working harder than it should). What is the main reason you are wanting more FPS than what your monitor can handle? It gives zero benefit and causes problems.

I guess another fix would be to crank settings to max and add tons of mods to lower the FPS down closer to your monitor rate.

Yeah I saw very slight tearing with in-game V-Sync.

Uh define digital input? lol
    HeavyHemi

FluffyZack

When your GPU is rendering frames faster than the refresh rate of your monitor, you're susceptible to screen tearing. This is caused by the screen refresh and the GPU frame buffer being out of sync and displaying partial frames. This has been an issue forever and varies in severity depending upon the game. Triple buffering is one method used to help minimize it.

It angers me to an extent where I see people enjoying 300 FPS+ on games but I have to be stuck at 60FPS. I can't even harness my PCs full power :/
    There has to be some way I can fix this :(
    RiffyDivine
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 183
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/04 07:48:07 (permalink)
    Seems weird, my pair of gtx 980s are working fine together and apart without issues hitting 90 to 120 fps but I also only run my stuff with vsync turned on. Did you monitor the power well running a game to see what happens?
    FluffyZack
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/04 07:51:11 (permalink)
    RiffyDivine
    Seems weird, my pair of gtx 980s are working fine together and apart without issues hitting 90 to 120 fps but I also only run my stuff with vsync turned on. Did you monitor the power well running a game to see what happens?

No I'll do that later today. Leaving for school in a few minutes here.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/04 09:11:32 (permalink)
    FluffyZack
    astacy12
    FluffyZack

HeavyHemi

FluffyZack

It angers me to an extent where I see people enjoying 300 FPS+ on games but I have to be stuck at 60FPS. I can't even harness my PCs full power :/

You're not rendering 300 FPS on the screen. You're rendering 60 FPS and whatever partial frames are causing tearing. If you want to render more than 60 FPS, you need to purchase a monitor with a higher refresh rate. That, is the 'fix'. Digital would be DVI or HDMI. VGA input is analog and the worst of the three to use with current technology.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

astacy12
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/04 10:26:21 (permalink)
    FluffyZack

I'm still trying to figure out what benefit you see those people have playing at 300+ FPS (for some stupid reason they are doing that?) You do realize that those high FPS are completely wasted right? It's stressing the pc far more than what it has to for that particular game. It is completely useless to want higher FPS if it is above your monitor's refresh rate. The goal for a GPU is not to have 200+ FPS, but to be strong enough to play all newer titles at playable frame rates at your particular resolution with high enough visual settings to please you (which should be completely maxed out settings since you bought a 980...). All you need to worry about is getting at least 60+ constantly which the 980 will have zero problems doing (unless at 4k). So crank up the settings as far as you can, turn on adaptive Vsync (never use in game vsync), and enjoy the game. If your goal is to reach really high FPS, then you are wasting a lot of money on unneeded tech/horsepower...

What resolution are you running at? Just curious since it only has a vga input. And as what was said above, digital inputs include HDMI, display port or DVI. If you have one of those, use it instead of VGA.
    FluffyZack
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/04 16:35:00 (permalink)
    This will sound stupid but since this is my first gaming PC, I don't have any games. So far I've played Minecraft and that's it. So... yeah. I'll probably get games like CS: GO.
    I guess I'm okay with 60FPS as I probably won't notice anything higher to be honest.

FluffyZack
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/04 16:37:09 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    FluffyZack
    astacy12
    FluffyZack

HeavyHemi

FluffyZack

You're not rendering 300 FPS on the screen. You're rendering 60 FPS and whatever partial frames are causing tearing. If you want to render more than 60 FPS, you need to purchase a monitor with a higher refresh rate. That, is the 'fix'. Digital would be DVI or HDMI. VGA input is analog and the worst of the three to use with current technology.

I'm using VGA to DVI. I might try HDMI with my console monitor. But I don't understand, 300 Hz monitors probably don't exist. And I doubt any of the people that benchmark and pass numbers like 300 FPS and such get screen tearing. So there must be a way without getting a new monitor.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/04 16:47:30 (permalink)
    FluffyZack
    HeavyHemi
    FluffyZack
    astacy12
    FluffyZack

HeavyHemi

FluffyZack

I'm using VGA to DVI. I might try HDMI with my console monitor. But I don't understand, 300 Hz monitors probably don't exist. And I doubt any of the people that benchmark and pass numbers like 300 FPS and such get screen tearing. So there must be a way without getting a new monitor.

I run SLI TITANS, I am easily capable of rendering some games at over 300 FPS...along with the resulting screen tearing because the monitor will only display 60 frames per second.  Benchmark results are a representation of the FPS GPU can render, not what is actually being displayed on the screen. Some games are worse than others. Games with built in triple buffering suffer from far less screen tearing with vsync disabled than do games without triple buffering. This issue isn't anything new. As far as the connection from your monitor to your GPU, are you saying the input on your monitor is VGA? In other words you're using the DVI out on the GPU with an adapter to covert it to VGA for the monitor?

demo23019
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 397
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/04 17:00:56 (permalink)
    FluffyZack

Are you being serous lol
    FluffyZack
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/04 17:01:23 (permalink)
    Yes. I'm using the DVI out to VGA adapter.
    So I checked MSI Afterburner and my power wouldn't move from 44. Maybe it would dip to 43 occasionally but it was basically a constant 44.

As for my GPU temp... I'm not sure if it's accurate but it says it's at 63... and I was just playing Minecraft. Now it's at 61 just on Chrome. So I'm not sure if it's accurate. Can't tell if the fans are on because my case fans are LOUD.
    FluffyZack
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/04 17:02:30 (permalink)
    demo23019
    FluffyZack

Are you being serous lol

Being serious about what?
    demo23019
    iCX Member
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/04 17:08:48 (permalink)
    You don't think you will get tearing when going over monitors refreshrate?

demo23019
    iCX Member
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/04 17:10:52 (permalink)
    Also to your comment about benchmarking people who benchmark don't care about tearing becasue its irrelevant when benchmarking its all about numbers yes they get tearing.

FluffyZack
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/04 17:16:25 (permalink)
    Well sorry... This is my first gaming PC. I've never achieved over 60FPS before. And if I turned settings low enough to get above 60 FPS I never got screen tearing so...
    demo23019
    iCX Member
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/04 17:17:02 (permalink)
    yea you do
    FluffyZack
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/04 17:20:36 (permalink)
    demo23019
    yea you do

No I didn't. I know I didn't.
    astacy12
    Superclocked Member
    Re: Why is my screen tearing with my GTX 980? 2014/11/05 05:58:02 (permalink)
    FluffyZack
    This will sound stupid but since this is my first gaming PC, I don't have any games. So far I've played Minecraft and that's it. So... yeah. I'll probably get games like CS: GO.
    I guess I'm okay with 60FPS as I probably won't notice anything higher to be honest.

It's not probably, it's you won't notice anything higher as what's been said many times already. I'm pretty much done with this thread. What has been said so far if pretty much all you can say and it seems like it isn't sinking in. The only other thing I can say is do some research. If you're not going to listen to people who actually have experience since you have zero yourself then why bother posting? Though, I really do hope you get more modern games than the ones you listed because if not, you could have saved a lot of money and went with a lower tiered/older gen GPU and got the same outcome as your getting now... Especially if all you want to do is turn settings down to achieve really high FPS.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile