EVGA

What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM?

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 13
Author
Mikael_Wartooth
  • Total Posts : 95
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/01/31 20:45:13 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
Mikael_Wartooth
Right now the 970 is fine for what I am doing, but I am in the middle of a X99 build and will be going 1440 or 4k so I am going to SLI 980's instead of 970's. Not a big deal. 

If you are going to go big, just go big and don't skimp on a level down for any reason :-)

Now, if you go to purchase and the rumored 980ti with 6gb or more of vram come out, would you skimp? I am not trying to say it will, but if it did, you would be able to use 4k with higher settings rather than worrying about settings with any current gpu available.

I would probably go with a single 980ti if that were to happen. Just wish I had enough to do SLI 980 Classifieds :) I'm pushing my budget with $3,500 haha

Follow me on Twitter: @ANN1H1L1ST
Dschijn
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 271
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/01 01:39:32 (permalink)
-ZS-CarpenterI don't own a 970 I own 3 of them…

If you SLI with 3 cards and play on high resolution and high settings you will hit the 3.5GB often. And please don't start that you have 12GB of VRAM. No it's just 4GB and with that cards you are able to crack the border of using 3.5GB.
seahawkgfx
  • Total Posts : 80
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/01 01:41:48 (permalink)
On most games it makes no difference, but for Talos Principle, AC Unity or Dying Light the 970 seems to hang for a few seconds if the VRAM is forced to use over 3,5GB and that is with decent FPS over the 30FPS mark. As more games will make use of more VRAM the 970 will have more problems in the future. I would return it if you can.
misiak
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 161
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/01 02:15:25 (permalink)
-ZS-Carpenter
misiak

@Carpenter, from what you said I expect you own a GTX970 card, do you ? If not, then we don't need to talk anymore. Obviously you are an nvidia fanboy and trust everything they will say. Look, I'm nvidia customer for maybe 10 year and only once I had ATI card. I was always satisfied with Nvidia. But do you really think they are so stupid to admit they fault ? Do you really think than engineers did not communicate with marketing the specs they gave to reviewers. And that no-one from engineers noticed this discrepancy in specs for more than 4 months ?? If you do, then fine. The last few days I spent lot of time investigate the issue and I had simillar findings than lot of users who tested it as well and encountered an issue. COD:AW was great example. May I ask if you test any game with 970 ?

I don't own a 970 I own 3 of them and when i bought them over 2 months ago, long before this memory issue surfaced, I knew that in a couple games at very high res I would have to sacrifice a couple settings to keep things in check. With this ever so slight issue I may need to maybe turn 1 more setting down 1 notch to keep playable frame rates. The sky is not falling, your house isn't burning down, you just have to settle for 2x AA over 8x AA....cry me a river

And you can stuff your fanboy comment up your COD:AW. You have done nothing but hunt out the most absurdly bad console trash ports to show any kind of real world performance hit. Everyone(except you) already knows that poor console ports run like crap. They suck up resources like a vacuum, it's nothing new and your proving nothing by using them as your "source" for condemning the 970 and nvidia. Yea mistakes were made but in reality it is not as big of a deal as you are trying to make it out to be.

Wish you are right and there are only bad ports affected. But most of new games are just bad ports so we can't expect this won't be any better but worse. But for me personally COD:WA runs perfectly smoothly so I can't say it is a bad port except vram usage until and until 3.5GB is exceeded. 980 has no stutters. 970 was meant to run exactly the same than 980 only with 20% lower framerate - because it was declared it has same chip, memory, etc. as 980. But it is not true because memory architecture nvdia implemented and did not say about it. That's the main problem with this. But I agree it is still a good card. Sky is not falling but if we say nothing then what can we expect next? And this does not apply only to nvidia...
misiak
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 161
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/01 02:18:08 (permalink)
jmike00
There's that word again framerate. I'd gladly take a drop down to 30fps and no stutter vs. little to no fps drop and stutter.

That's the problem you can simply cap the fps to 30, your gpu will be utilized maybe only up to 30% but you have will have same stuttering as before when you had 60+ fps...
kwadra
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/01 02:34:34 (permalink)
I wonder what EVGA decides on the matter.
Brightmist
  • Total Posts : 44
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/01 09:31:56 (permalink)
seahawkgfx
On most games it makes no difference, but for Talos Principle, AC Unity or Dying Light the 970 seems to hang for a few seconds if the VRAM is forced to use over 3,5GB and that is with decent FPS over the 30FPS mark. As more games will make use of more VRAM the 970 will have more problems in the future. I would return it if you can.

This is pretty much it. You'll have to start turning down stuff like texture quality as early as this year to get rid of stutter or similiar issues. This is why 970 is a ripoff.

kwadra

They'll follow Nvidia's lead of "sweeping under the rug" and urge you to Step-up if you're dissatisfied or best case scenario a full refund without a restocking fee.
Ofc then you'll be left with a deficit on any customs taxes or shipping or any other extra charge you had to pay for.

In any case, they'll be selling the same bs as Nvidia as the card "works as intended" or "has 4GB RAM as advertised", actually denying any wrongdoing like the good Nvidia lapdog they are.
blacksapphire08
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8875
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/01 09:32:23 (permalink)
misiak
Grey_Beard
I know I will get flamed, but this all seems like not a big deal to me. How many of you blast your ISP because you paid for a 25Mb pipe and are getting only 20Mb or less? Many things are this way. What about the car in which the sticker says it gets 40 MPG, but you get 35 MPG when you calculate it each time you fill up? The card performs as the card performs. Misrepresentation or not, I will gladly take a number of these open boxed items and build a nice rig with it. Thanks to all who have made this much bigger than it should be.

Problem is that your provider doesn't guarantee that speed while nVidia provided the specs which shall be true. I someone sell you a 2L bottle of cola and once you open it you find that there is only 1,5L of cola, will you be ok with that? No... They lied, regardless the fact they knew about it or not.

A bottle of soda is like $1-$2. Ford recently got busted advertising their cars with better mpg than they actually acheived. They revised the ratings and gave owners sa couple hundred bucks. That seems like a bigger deal when a car payment is equiv to a GTX 970 every month (maybe more). The only thing Nvidia lied about was specs that dont make a huge difference. If they lied about CUDA cores then yes it would be huge.

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/01 09:36:49 (permalink)
Brightmist
seahawkgfx

This is pretty much it. You'll have to start turning down stuff like texture quality as early as this year to get rid of stutter or similiar issues. This is why 970 is a ripoff.

kwadra

They'll follow Nvidia's lead of "sweeping under the rug" and urge you to Step-up if you're dissatisfied or best case scenario a full refund without a restocking fee.
Ofc then you'll be left with a deficit on any customs taxes or shipping or any other extra charge you had to pay for.

In any case, they'll be selling the same bs as Nvidia as the card "works as intended" or "has 4GB RAM as advertised", actually denying any wrongdoing like the good Nvidia lapdog they are.

Don't worry, the 980 suffers issues when people think they can put every single setting on max as well, as shown already as well.

If you think EVGA is so bad while they are helping their customers in this situation, why are you here? People demanded they be allowed to step up, EVGA said OK. People demanded a refund, EVGA said OK. People come in here complaining about both, and no one cares.
Brightmist
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/01 09:45:25 (permalink)
My 970 suffers from coil whine issues since it's been bought from EVGA EU Shop.
I've demanded for an Advanced RMA, EVGA said no.
I've demanded for an international RMA, EVGA said no.
I've been waiting for my local distributor to get a replacement card for 20 days now, a company which I had no previous dealings before.
I've also paid for 18% in customs taxes which I won't be getting back if I get a refund and will possibly get hit by a shipping cost of 75$ if I decide to get a refund.
I've also been denied a partial refund.
So I don't really care about what people demanded or got since EVGA has the worst customer support in all the companies I've dealt with before.
icy1007
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/01 18:07:20 (permalink)
Brightmist
I've been waiting for my local distributor to get a replacement card for 20 days now, a company which I had no previous dealings before.
I've also paid for 18% in customs taxes which I won't be getting back if I get a refund and will possibly get hit by a shipping cost of 75$ if I decide to get a refund.
So I don't really care about what people demanded or got since EVGA has the worst customer support in all the companies I've dealt with before.

Worst customer support? Hardly... 
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/01 18:12:36 (permalink)
Brightmist

It's funny that the civilized conversations with EVGA EU go well for the user, and the people that make DEMANDS get no where.. I see a trend over there.
Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2233
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/01 18:33:37 (permalink)
Whoa, this thread is still alive. Amazing. It just lives on and on and on. Is there a vaccine that can be developed to stop this thing?

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/01 18:36:00 (permalink)
Grey_Beard
Whoa, this thread is still alive. Amazing. It just lives on and on and on. Is there a vaccine that can be developed to stop this thing?

Maybe if we start a new thread about ebola that infected curiosity on Mars. Still trying to figure out how it got there. I blame North Korea.
howdy2u2
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1896
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/01 18:36:46 (permalink)
Grey_Beard

i believe it is trying to be beaten right off your screen.........................maybe pulp in to paper.

Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2233
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/01 18:45:31 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
Grey_Beard

Maybe if we start a new thread about ebola that infected curiosity on Mars. Still trying to figure out how it got there. I blame North Korea.

Watch out, next thing we know the EVGA forum will be hacked and this thread would now spread throughout the world. I could just hear TMZ, as they will publish every whine and quote, just like with Sony. I just hope there will not be a movie, but then again Kim Jung-un as a moderator of this forum would be the bomb!

usmc4876
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/01 20:29:05 (permalink)
icy1007
Brightmist

Worst customer support? Hardly... 

Just b/c you didnt get what you wanted from support doesnt mean EVGA has the worst customer service. 

Current Build:
MB ----> Gigabyte Sniper Z87
GPU ----> EVGA 980 SC ACX 4GB version
PSU ----> Corsair HX1050
RAM ----> 8GB G-Skill Sniper Series 1866
CPU ----> 4770K
SSD ----> (2) 500GB Samsung EVO
HHD ----> 1GB WD
OS ----> Windows 10 64bit

jmike00
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 162
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/01 23:27:55 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
If you think EVGA is so bad while they are helping their customers in this situation, why are you here? People demanded they be allowed to step up, EVGA said OK. People demanded a refund, EVGA said OK. People come in here complaining about both, and no one cares.

I'm curious where the info on the refunds comes from? When I called and inquired about my options, refunds weren't one of them. I then submitted an online support ticket and again just a step up was all that was offered. The only thing I was told I could get refunded were the 970 Backplates if I decided to step up to the 980 but that came with a 15% restock fee.

Just for fun this evening I put my 2 670 4GB in and though there was a sizeable(though playable) fps loss, Unity didn't cough spit and stutter at all when using max VRAM. Nice and smooth, no chop just much lower fps.
Mhertz
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/02 01:04:20 (permalink)
This was a good read...  Being mean will only get you so far.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/02 01:27:16 (permalink)
jmike00
Scarlet-Tech

I'm curious where the info on the refunds comes from? When I called and inquired about my options, refunds weren't one of them. I then submitted an online support ticket and again just a step up was all that was offered. The only thing I was told I could get refunded were the 970 Backplates if I decided to step up to the 980 but that came with a 15% restock fee.

Just for fun this evening I put my 2 670 4GB in and though there was a sizeable(though playable) fps loss, Unity didn't cough spit and stutter at all when using max VRAM. Nice and smooth, no chop just much lower fps.

If you are outside of 30 days, they have helped people step up. Within, they have helped people. Even more. You have to understand that while you are frustrated, you are only one person. There are many many more reacting the same way. Cooler heads prevail.

Which vendor did you purchase from, or did you go EVGA direct?

A couple of other companies aren't even accepting cards back at all. There is no step up option or anything. It's unfortunate for those frustrated, but they are saying "this is nvidia specifications and the card functions how NVidia intended."
banzaigtv
  • Total Posts : 85
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/02 06:56:29 (permalink)
I rarely exceed 3.5 GB at 1080p resolution. The only game which exceeds it a bit in 1080p is Titanfall, but I do not experience any fps drops. Should I worry about this for the next year or two?

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit + Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK S / i7 4790k @ 4.4 GHz / Silverstone Argon AR03 / 16 GB Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 1866 MHz DDR3 / GALAX GTX 980 HOF 4 GB / Intel 520 Series 180 GB SSD / Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB SSD / Blu-ray + DVD RW / SeaSonic Snow Silent 1050W / In Win GRone White ATX case / HP 2509m 25" LCD 1080p 60 hz monitor / Logitech G510 gaming keyboard / Logitech G600 gaming mouse / XBOX One Controller
ziomuschio
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 112
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/02 06:58:46 (permalink)
banzaigtv
I rarely exceed 3.5 GB at 1080p resolution. The only game which exceeds it a bit in 1080p is Titanfall, but I do not experience any fps drops. Should I worry about this for the next year or two?

titanfall is not a game

donta1979
Primarch
  • Total Posts : 15888
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/02 08:21:14 (permalink)
One if your building an x99 system, paying for DDR4, If your going to be playing at 4k/surround, why cheap out on your gpu in the first place, really.... a 320-350 dollar gpu... Stop expecting a none top model card to do the job of a top model gpu... stepup, sell it, then get a couple GTX 980's.... the 970 does have 4gb of vram, it just so happens that 500mb of that is used for the gpu for whatever other task it is doing in the background... But yeah... you people amaze me... buying a 320-350 dollar gpu then getting mad when its not as good as a 500+ dollar gpu... you get what you paid for... its that simple... Those playing at 1080p get a GTX 980 or a discounted/used GTX Titan and go upon your happy way...

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
My Build
Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
Hattab
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/02 08:35:36 (permalink)
i am reading geforce forum

Gigabyte has just released new bios update for all gtx 970's
NordicJedi
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 12570
  • Ribbons : 77
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/02 08:51:29 (permalink)
Hattab
i am reading geforce forum

Gigabyte has just released new bios update for all gtx 970's

Those BIOSes have been out for over a week now, since before anyone noticed the variation in memory bandwidth.  They improve monitor compatibility, but cannot do anything to change the physical design of the cards.  One person posted in the GeForce forums that it made a large impact on his framerates; however, I don't believe anyone else is able to replicate those results.  

6012mhz on L/N2 
5321mhz on L/N2
5091mhz on air
The Lightsaber
The Emperor Reborn
ubbb69
  • Total Posts : 23
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/02 08:57:51 (permalink)
donta1979
One if your building an x99 system, paying for DDR4, If your going to be playing at 4k/surround, why cheap out on your gpu in the first place, really.... a 320-350 dollar gpu... Stop expecting a none top model card to do the job of a top model gpu... stepup, sell it, then get a couple GTX 980's.... the 970 does have 4gb of vram, it just so happens that 500mb of that is used for the gpu for whatever other task it is doing in the background... But yeah... you people amaze me... buying a 320-350 dollar gpu then getting mad when its not as good as a 500+ dollar gpu... you get what you paid for... its that simple... Those playing at 1080p get a GTX 980 or a discounted/used GTX Titan and go upon your happy way...

Donta,
I do not understand this. Always in the past it is common to take the 2nd card down and sli them. So now that Nvidia has gimped this option you are saying those who went this way are silly? I built a x99 system with sli gtx 970. I built it this way before any info on the card being gimped came out. It has stuttered, and been choppy since day one. I understand that it is not the top of the line card but the punishment should be lower fps. It should not be that it is unplayable at the settings that i run. Never before has the punishment for pushing a card or cards to hard been stutter or choppy play. Bogging down, low fps in general yeah. Evga has had me replace my power supply, told me it was my mb, and rma'd cards for me. They have done great once the issue was proven offering me stepup on card that has allready been through the stepup process.
 So now being frustrated, disapointed, and generally disgusted by the ordeal i have to wait to see what my options are. I have decided not to use stepup as i will not spend more money for cards i should not need to run what i run. If allowed to get refunds on my cards i think i am going to take it. I will ditch 4k as of now. I also think i will grab a lightning 290x for now until other options come out. I am at a loss as to how people would say that it is what i get for not buying the top cards out. The xtra 10% that the 980 gives is not worth the price to me. Especially if Nvidia designed the 980 to be the only enthusiast option by way of capping the performance the way they did. People running well on them now may not be in 3 months if games go the way they are now. Again i have not been very active in this thread as i hate to rant but i kind of took your post personal.
Poisonerka
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/02 09:15:54 (permalink)
I think the 980 is a rip off. Even though nvidia pulled out some awesome bandwidth tricks, it's still a puny 256bit bus. 256bit was good a few years ago but not anymore. Resolutions and textures are on the increase again.
donta1979
Primarch
  • Total Posts : 15888
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/02 09:17:17 (permalink)
I am saying don't expect a 320-350 dollar peace of hardware to perform like a 500+ peace of hardware. If you went all the way with the x99 might as well go all the way with the rest. The only way you will get that 320-350 dollar peace of hardware to perform similar to a 500+ dollar peace of hardware, is a lot of extra work and Frankenstein it. If you want to game at 4k now or in the future you have to look at the big picture and realize you will need to pay out to get the performance your desiring and get the right tools for the job.

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
My Build
Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
paullongy326
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/02 10:33:35 (permalink)
wow i bet amd are rubbing there hands  and nvidia  well shooting ones foot comes to mind :)
post edited by paullongy326 - 2015/02/02 10:50:31

CASE= corsair a 540
MOTHERBOARD =ASUS X99 PRO
CPU=intel i7 5820K   4.0GHZ@1.1V
MEMORY=32gb dominator platinum3000MHz memory
HARD DRIVES=ssd samsung pro 250 gb /western digital cavier black 1 tb
GPU=EVGA GTX980 CLASSIFIED ACX 2.0
COOLER=h100 i water cooler
MONITOR=  Dell U2715H 27" QHD IPS Monitor 2560x1440
Brightmist
Re: What will EVGA do about the now known issue with the 970 VRAM? 2015/02/02 10:49:16 (permalink)
I wonder how much problem this architecture will cause for 980 users in the future, lol.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 13
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile