Weird issue with new sli setup....

Author
antandbetty
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 318
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/01/31 00:58:03 (permalink)
I just set up two gtx 970 ftw+ in sli and wanted to put the display load on the second card as the top card is always hotter. I disabled sli, shut down the pc and switched the hdmi cable to the second card. I started up and no boot screen, no bios , nothing until i get into windows? 

I then uninstalled all drivers, reset cmos, pulled out all cards installed 2nd gpu fist into the second pcie slot and booted everthing was ok as i got right into the bios. Then i shut down again and install the first gpu in the top pcie slot and power up and same issue. then did it all again using DDU and still nothing I don't get a signal to the monitor until i am in windows? Tried setting both pcie slots to auto and 3.0 and nothing.... Searched google for an hour.

I checked every setting in the bios and even set primary display to auto & pcie with no results. I need your help please.

PS: The IGPU is disabled in the bios.

asus maximus xii formula

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free" R.R.

5 Replies Related Threads

paullongy326
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re: Weird issue with new sli setup.... 2015/01/31 02:59:58 (permalink)
    hi there this happened to me when I put my load on second card for some unknown reason my second slot didn't activate until I logged in to windows ,
    for some daft reason it was like the second pci slot didn't turn on until windows was fully loaded (gigabyte sniper board is what I have )I eventually had to revert back to normal ,the  top slot is what I am in at moment  so be interesting if some one does find a solution or something that me and you have missed
    I tried all gen sockets and auto and still nothing till windows logged in. 
    sorry no help but I will subscribe to thread has I shall be interested in how it is solved 

CASE= corsair a 540
    MOTHERBOARD =ASUS X99 PRO
    CPU=intel i7 5820K   4.0GHZ@1.1V
    MEMORY=32gb dominator platinum3000MHz memory
    HARD DRIVES=ssd samsung pro 250 gb /western digital cavier black 1 tb
    GPU=EVGA GTX980 CLASSIFIED ACX 2.0
    COOLER=h100 i water cooler
    MONITOR=  Dell U2715H 27" QHD IPS Monitor 2560x1440
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Weird issue with new sli setup.... 2015/01/31 08:48:22 (permalink)
    This is normal operation. If you want to see the BIOS/POST screen you will need to have your display cable connected to the first card.
    antandbetty
    iCX Member
    Re: Weird issue with new sli setup.... 2015/01/31 12:01:17 (permalink)
    I am coming from a z68 asus mobo that did not operate like this. I was able to plug in either gpu and would see the bios and boot gui. Is this something because of the new gen pcie or the chipset?

Sajin
    This is normal operation. If you want to see the BIOS/POST screen you will need to have your display cable connected to the first card.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free" R.R.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Weird issue with new sli setup.... 2015/01/31 12:17:22 (permalink)
    The top card is usually the primary card.  From there, the video outputs are further broken down between primary and secondary outputs based on the order they are initialized by the video card's BIOS.

Whether or not the top card has to be the primary card is dependent on the motherboard.  According to NVIDIA, the bottom card could be the primary card if the motherboard supports that configuration.
    http://www.nvidia.in/object/sli-technology-multimonitor-in.html

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

antandbetty
    iCX Member
    Re: Weird issue with new sli setup.... 2015/01/31 12:34:16 (permalink)
    ok this makes sense as i think i remember having a gigabyte board that was able to boot from either pcie or what they called peg....I knew this has to be a mb issue and os or sli related. Time to give asus a call as i just found a setting in the bios that sets the primary gpu but when i set it to second it wont stick...it reverts back after saving f10.

ty_ger07
    The top card is usually the primary card.  From there, the video outputs are further broken down between primary and secondary outputs based on the order they are initialized by the video card's BIOS.

Whether or not the top card has to be the primary card is dependent on the motherboard.  According to NVIDIA, the bottom card could be the primary card if the motherboard supports that configuration.
    http://www.nvidia.in/object/sli-technology-multimonitor-in.html

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile