Star Citizen (Squadron 42): The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 25
Author
SGTHACK
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 231
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/11 16:03:38 (permalink)
Aggressor Prime

Alcatraz968

Cool, tho i kinda wish it were free to play.

On the payment model from their website:

Not a subscription but not free-to-play; rather a hybrid of these two business models. Much like ArenaNet's Guild Wars 2, you will purchase the PC game and pay no recurring subscription charges. Your purchase of the game will allow you to play in the universe for free, forever! The game will offer a variety of virtual items for purchase with in-game credits allowing you to spend money on items that offer more ways to express yourself, provide convenience, and customize your experience. But the cardinal rule regarding "in-game purchases" is: Players who spend money purchasing in-game credits will have no advantage over players who spend time!

Everything is bought with in-game credits. These purchases won't offer any advantage over someone who puts in the "game-time" to earn the same amount of credits. You might ask, why have "in-game" purchases at all? This allows us the resources to support the game on an ongoing basis as well as continually add content.

"Heart of the Tiger" is correct. I loved the one with the USS Midway as the carrier too. Wasn't it the first to use 3dfx graphics? 

TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Ribbons : 46
Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/11 16:12:41 (permalink)
Im Hit!

EVGATech_DaveB

Wonder how far they will go with it.  For example, you are running at (using the old WC speeds as a base) 400kph, cut throttle to 0%, will inertia keep you moving forward, or will it behave as if you applied the breaks (firing forward thrusters)?  I ask as it would offer a lot of maneuverability options, specifically in dog-fighting if you get a hard missile lock on me, rather than trying to bank out of your range and break lock, i hit zero throttle,  either pitch or yaw 180, open fire and go to wide open throttle.  This would also NOT change your course, as all you are doing is pivoting while flying straight.

Heck, XWing Alliance did something similar, where they gave YPR stats, but different craft made their peak turning radius's at different speeds making throttle control very important in a dog fight.  I would like to see both aspects built into the game, and also varying YPR stats,  like the Dralthi's from early WC games, Pitch sucked but Yaw/Roll worked better, forced different piloting styles.   Heck the Descent thing of full vertical/horizontal movement would be awesome too, but the first 2 points are far more important IMHO.

I'm supposed to be working, DAVE!! Darnit, your super geeky and nostalgic WC musings are like crispy creme to my inner-malnurished gaming geek.

I'd be highly surprised if Roberts didin't hold true to real world/space physics. I think intertia will work as it should. I hope. Once it begins moving it will never stop unless. The slightest changes, like direction and intensity of thrust, should dynamically change your trajectory.

Original WC reduction in forward thrust was more like a slow break, there were breaks for doing a hard stop as well.  It did cover YPR in relation to speed, my hope is they take it to the next level.  To attach it to YET ANOTHER scifi, another some love or hate, but like watching how the Star Fury's from Babylon 5 maneuver.  Axis rotation while intertia holds steady.  Also, if inertia works, then it would be reasonable to say there will likely be a stand alone break.  mmmm to dogfight in a modern space sim  :D

With the power of modern systems, I can't wait to see this...... with any luck I will have at least one Catleap monitor by then (unless Samsung wants to give me comparable price and quality), ideally in 7680X1440 surround by then, and will be able to thoroughly enjoy this is in max res, everything up and also, and I would love to see this in all its potential high res, AA, PhysX glory.  But who am I kidding, it could looke like WC4 and I would still love it!

With full effects of inertia in place, it could be even more interesting if you were able to say fire all lower half Z axis thrusters at once ( I usually mix them up, but iirc X Forward-Back, Y left-right, Z up-down) and go directly vertical, like what was in Descent.  Say hat switch for linear maneuvering (thrusters for one axis on one side at a time) Rudder pedals for Roll, joystick twist for Yaw, and a throttle for my left, with macroable buttons..... mmmmmm.  Sad part is I can see myself doing this in a pitch black room, with some of those crazy firefights like you had in Privateer the Darkening, leaving you sweaty and winded  with a control setup like that.
Yeah, im still not getting past the thought of dogfighting again..... especially with those awesome plot lines Roberts is known for!
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/11 16:26:03 (permalink)
SGTHACK

"Heart of the Tiger" is correct. I loved the one with the USS Midway as the carrier too. Wasn't it the first to use 3dfx graphics? 

Midway was Prophecy (WC5) after Tolwyn was hung (WC4) and his prototype super carrier the Vesuvius was destroyed.   Yes it did have 3Dfx, it ran awesome on my Voodoo2's in SLI :D

At first I was hesitant on that one though, starting out as a rookie AGAIN....darnit I had gone from 2nd LT to Major (twice) and up to Colonel, to here im now a commodore... and wait.... thats not me anymore  :(  But in spite of my apprehension, it turned out to be really good.

Oh, and for others out there who aren't up on the history of this series, if you don't want to ask me stuff about it (disturbing how much I remember lol) there is a site with a LOT of info.
http://www.wcnews.com/
Slimshiesty
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2933
  • Ribbons : 5
Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/11 18:15:19 (permalink)
That looked frickin SWEET !!!
got to try that one !!!

I hope there a new Homeworld game coming out too !
That would be cool too !

CPU  Intel i7 6700K @ 4.0 GHz 
MB   MSI Z170A Gaming 7
GPU  EVGA GTX 1070ti FTW2
MEM Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3000 2X8GB
PSU  EVGA Supernova 850 G2
CASE Thermaltake View 31 TG

TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/11 18:54:31 (permalink)
Ahhhhh Homeworld, game was also aweosme.  Id just love GOG to do the Homeworld series.

You guys know there was a big mod for Homeworld2 to convert it all into WC4 ships.  That was fun lol.
ehau
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 691
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/11 21:19:29 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveB
  I ask as it would offer a lot of maneuverability options, specifically in dog-fighting if you get a hard missile lock on me, rather than trying to bank out of your range and break lock, i hit zero throttle,  either pitch or yaw 180, open fire and go to wide open throttle.  This would also NOT change your course, as all you are doing is pivoting while flying straight.

Reminds of those dogfights in re-imagined Battlestar Galactica, one of my favorite shows of all time.
ki11joy92
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1164
Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/12 00:33:59 (permalink)
So many awesome games..not enough time/money for them though.. 

Aggressor Prime
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 457
  • Ribbons : 3
Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/12 04:00:40 (permalink)
Guys, they raised $455,590 already within the first day, even though their server crashed due to excessive flooding from visitors. They only need $4 million from fans within 30 days to get the big funding from investors. This really looks like it is happening. Keep up the support.

Clevo P150EM / Sager NP9150
Intel Core i7-3840QM
nVidia GeForce GTX 970M (6GB)

Prepare for Descent:
http://playoverload.com/
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/12 11:03:52 (permalink)
That's excellent news!  I really hope the support keeps pouring in!

@Killjoy
Yeah no crap man  :)  That pesky stuff of real life and making money blahblahblahblah really gets in the way of video games, huh.
Asetek Im Hit!
ASETEK Representative
  • Total Posts : 2401
  • Ribbons : 4
Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/12 11:08:26 (permalink)
Yes please keep supporting. This immediately shot to my most anticipated gaming project. That's saying a lot!!! 

Right now myself and another game press editor at Gadget Review are trying secure some exclusive interview time with Chris and the Oculus guys to discuss how Oculus and Star Citizen will play nice with each other.  Looks like we will be getting Oculus units in for testing soon. Oh yeah!!

More soon!

10900K | ROG Z490-Deluxe | 16Gb GSkillz.  3600MHz | EVGA GTX 3080 FTW3 | 34in AOC Ultrawide 144Hz Monitor @3440x1440  
Check us out at www.asetek.com
Read what we're doing at www.coolnation.com
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/12 13:18:16 (permalink)
OOOO Occulous!  That could be way cool.  Never used one, but they look really cool, would love to try them sometime.
frrrrrrunkis
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 378
Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/12 13:29:48 (permalink)
ehau

OMG, can't wait for this.  I love space sims, and Wing Commander II was the game that got my started on PC gaming.

Really wish one of these game studios would reboot the Wing Commander series, Those games were epic!
This one looks sick too! I've been missing a real space sim since the days of Space combat in Star Wars Galaxies.

Intel I5 2500k
SLI GTX 560Ti (thanks EVGA!! )
3x AOC LED 23inch Monitors in 2d surround
Ram: Kingston Hyper X 1600 8gb
Mobo:Asus P8Z68-V
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Case: HAF932

1ceTr0n
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2789
  • Ribbons : 9
Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/12 14:12:08 (permalink)
Intriguing as a long time space fighter but call me when it gets closer to being reality, im tired of being burnt from getting my hopes up

ehau
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 691
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/16 20:46:41 (permalink)
  • Full rigid body simulation of all spaceships You wanted proper Newtonian mechanics. You got it! Spaceships adjust their trajectory and orientation just like the real thing.
  • Intelligent Flight Control System (IFCS) Like a modern day F-35, the ships have fly by wire systems which take the player’s inputs and then translate them into the commands for the ship’s engine and thrusters to articulate and deliver the required thrust to achieve the pilot’s request.
  • Dynamic Ship Maneuverability Ship’s performance is calculated dynamically based on various physical variables and the ability of your jet maneuvering to deliver thrust towards a requested vector. What does this mean? Infinite customization with component damage, mass or energy changes
    affecting maneuverability on the fly – allowing for endless combat strategies and results.
  • Ship Components matter! Because we are fully simulating the physics and flight dynamics, the actual components matter. If a port thruster is damaged, it will affect your maneuverability organically. If you upgrade your thruster package with enhanced thrusters that gimbal faster and deliver more thrust it will affect your performance. Dump cargo, you may be able to get the edge in turning in a dogfight.
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/17 07:42:24 (permalink)
    Yeah, I saw all of that too.  The more I see the more excited I am about it.  This will (SHOULD!) be great.
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/17 15:44:00 (permalink)
    ehau

• Full rigid body simulation of all spaceships You wanted proper Newtonian mechanics. You got it! Spaceships adjust their trajectory and orientation just like the real thing.
  • Intelligent Flight Control System (IFCS) Like a modern day F-35, the ships have fly by wire systems which take the player’s inputs and then translate them into the commands for the ship’s engine and thrusters to articulate and deliver the required thrust to achieve the pilot’s request.
  • Dynamic Ship Maneuverability Ship’s performance is calculated dynamically based on various physical variables and the ability of your jet maneuvering to deliver thrust towards a requested vector. What does this mean? Infinite customization with component damage, mass or energy changes
    affecting maneuverability on the fly – allowing for endless combat strategies and results.
  • Ship Components matter! Because we are fully simulating the physics and flight dynamics, the actual components matter. If a port thruster is damaged, it will affect your maneuverability organically. If you upgrade your thruster package with enhanced thrusters that gimbal faster and deliver more thrust it will affect your performance. Dump cargo, you may be able to get the edge in turning in a dogfight.

• The keynote video that is on YouTube is much more detailed on those topics. It also has the full length trailer.

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/17 15:52:50 (permalink)
    Im Hit!

Yes please keep supporting. This immediately shot to my most anticipated gaming project. That's saying a lot!!! 

Right now myself and another game press editor at Gadget Review are trying secure some exclusive interview time with Chris and the Oculus guys to discuss how Oculus and Star Citizen will play nice with each other.  Looks like we will be getting Oculus units in for testing soon. Oh yeah!!

More soon!

Good to see Palmer is making more prototypes available. A month ago he only had 2 available and they were tied down for event use.
    willem445
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4461
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/17 19:44:27 (permalink)
    How has this not got a ton of hype?? It looks fantastic!
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/18 01:29:52 (permalink)
    willem445

How has this not got a ton of hype?? It looks fantastic!

How? Because it's being promoted as an indie title. Indies don't have the marketing and PR budget to hype like larger publishers do. That's the simple difference in all of this as far as why you've not heard of it.
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/18 06:37:49 (permalink)
    Yeah Brad, I saw the video, and it is excellent, and much to my dismay, you are 100% correct, its marketing will lack due to it not being mainstream.  For releases of BF3, MW3, Blackops and one of the Clancy games, I saw them every 3rd-4th commercial break on network TV, and watching fights they were every break.  Perks of having a big name and a big publisher behind you.  I'm sure this wont sell the sheer numbers those did, but I have faith that this title can do very well.
    Asetek Im Hit!
    ASETEK Representative
    Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/18 10:45:07 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB

Yeah Brad, I saw the video, and it is excellent, and much to my dismay, you are 100% correct, its marketing will lack due to it not being mainstream.  For releases of BF3, MW3, Blackops and one of the Clancy games, I saw them every 3rd-4th commercial break on network TV, and watching fights they were every break.  Perks of having a big name and a big publisher behind you.  I'm sure this wont sell the sheer numbers those did, but I have faith that this title can do very well.

With a great community, you don't need all that distracting glitz. Just ask Riot Games. League of Legends is only PC and they self-published it and it's community is the size of a medium-sized country, easily surpassing World of Worn-out Craft.

10900K | ROG Z490-Deluxe | 16Gb GSkillz.  3600MHz | EVGA GTX 3080 FTW3 | 34in AOC Ultrawide 144Hz Monitor @3440x1440  
    TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/18 10:51:28 (permalink)
    Good point, however most games viewed as indie, and not having a large marketing push can definitely limit it, especially early on.  Once its up and going, for good games, word spreads, and that is a HUGE help.  Just that early on, not much for marketing/PR can can slow initial market saturation, especially before the game is launched.
    Asetek Im Hit!
    ASETEK Representative
    Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/18 11:03:37 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DaveB

Good point, however most games viewed as indie, and not having a large marketing push can definitely limit it, especially early on.  Once its up and going, for good games, word spreads, and that is a HUGE help.  Just that early on, not much for marketing/PR can can slow initial market saturation, especially before the game is launched.

Sure. But I don't think Robert's is striving for initial and blanket market saturation. I wouldn't be surprised if he actively shied away from it. He is taking a very "Project CARS" approach to this all. Although Project CARS is supposed to see a console release. That means it will have more of a marketing push, I imagine. But this approach, much like Kickstarter, pushes publishers out of the picture and pushes marketing to the back burner.  One of the biggest problems in the gaming industry is lack of ownership.

The folks dreaming up these wonderful ideas, worlds and features are not in control of them. Seizing control means you sacrifice in formal and traditional marketing.

DustoMan
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 316
    Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/18 12:33:38 (permalink)
    I want a big ship with two fighter bays, NAOW!!!

Dusto
    dustoman (at) gmail (dot) com

Asetek Im Hit!
    ASETEK Representative
    Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/18 13:22:11 (permalink)
    They have surpassed a million bucks so far. Now it's also on kickstarter for an alternate means of funding. Roberts didn't like the network issues their current site has had. So he put up a kickstarter too.

His love of PC over console is laudable! Make me upgrade, Chris! You can do it. http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/18/star-citizen-wing-commander-creator-says-pc-held-back-by-consoles-no-ones-really-pushing-it/

TECH_DaveB
    EVGA Alumni
    Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/18 14:20:14 (permalink)
    ^^^  THIS
    comeon Mr. Roberts, make me and im hit goto triple SLI, give us a reason!

Nice article too  :)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/18 14:36:36 (permalink)
    Many AAA titles from major publishers have 10x marketing budget that a top shelf indie game has for total budget. It's a mind boggling different way of doing things. It's also unfortunately proof positive that you throw enough money at something you can make a lot from it.
    1ceTr0n
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2789
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/18 14:54:55 (permalink)
    Lotta lack of hype and support makes me think this will die like so many other PC gaming "dream" ideas.

Asetek Im Hit!
    ASETEK Representative
    Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/18 15:11:20 (permalink)
    1ceTr0n

Lotta lack of hype and support makes me think this will die like so many other PC gaming "dream" ideas.

It was just announced and already hit 1mil in support dollars. 22 days to go on kickstarter I believe. Plus they are crowd funding on their own as well. This one looks strong. But there will definitely be a huge lack of marketing. 

That's where we as fans and press come in.

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:Squadron 42: The Fight for PC Gaming and Space Sims 2012/10/18 15:42:11 (permalink)
    1ceTr0n

I look at it this way, there are those that talk and then there are those that do. I think this guy is much more apt to do than talk about it.
    Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 25
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile