EVGA

Should i jump the gun and step up to a 980 from a 780 Ti?

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Should i jump the gun and step up to a 980 from a 780 Ti? 2015/02/03 21:33:00 (permalink)
Count Eight items down, below heading  "Key Features"
Notice it Does NOT list DX12 support; only DX11

post edited by Cool GTX - 2015/02/03 21:38:20

Attached Image(s)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

saifrehman23
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 107
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Should i jump the gun and step up to a 980 from a 780 Ti? 2015/02/03 21:47:20 (permalink)
Cool GTX

It shows what it currently supports. That is why it says "Key Features". When the kingpin edition launched, DX12 probably was not even publicly announced. I don't seem to understand your argument. You are trying to make people think negatively towards their Ti's. I would suggest you stop, you do not have substantial evidence.

CPU: FX-8350 Black Edition | Ram: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2x4GB) @ 1866 9-10-9-27 1.5v | Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 | GPU: EVGA GTX Titan X | PSU: Corsair AX760 Platinum Rated | SSD: OCZ Vertex 460 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Case: Corsair 450D | OS: Windows 8.1 64 bit OEM
Pgcmoore
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2037
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Should i jump the gun and step up to a 980 from a 780 Ti? 2015/02/03 21:54:51 (permalink)
ALL 900 and some if not all 700 series cards support DX12

can someone running tech preview with any 900 and most likely any 700 series card run dxdiag and show this is true, please!

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2875094/directx-12-just-sneaked-into-windows-10-but-you-cant-use-it-yet.html

and would imagine after the release of the 350 Series Drivers we may even be able to use it. Until thhen, this selling point is mute.  If it were me, and my 700's were doing everything I needed "right now" I would wait and see what is around the corner with this full Maxwell Die and see what Nvidia plans to allow developers to do with it, if they pull the plug on all the "power saving features" as we are seeing with the Kingpin, who knows what is possible. Lower temps at higher clocks on air will be easy peazy! more vram, power phases and maybe even a dual GPU card that wont suck! And those pretty LED's wont be wasted on one card that will be pulled off all the first released ones or close to it I AM SURE! They will be around from now on, you can count on it.

Save you $ and wait.
is My opinion for the OP. None of my comments have been verified and may or may not happen at all.
post edited by Pgcmoore - 2015/02/04 00:14:55

Attached Image(s)

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"    

My Affiliate Code is  05G-UGD-GZVU

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Should i jump the gun and step up to a 980 from a 780 Ti? 2015/02/03 23:30:22 (permalink)
saifrehman23
Cool GTX

It shows what it currently supports. That is why it says "Key Features". When the kingpin edition launched, DX12 probably was not even publicly announced. I don't seem to understand your argument. You are trying to make people think negatively towards their Ti's. I would suggest you stop, you do not have substantial evidence.

Your endless argument ("you do not have substantial evidence") is without merit.

Yes, Key Features - it shows what is currently supported!- That IS MY Point!

NO - I do not think negatively towards my SLI - 780Ti setup or anyone's GPU.

Microsoft has not released DirectX 12 and has stated it will be released with Windows 10 and games that support DX12 around the holidays of 2015. 

Microsoft has yet to confirm Windows 7 support for DX12 when it finally gets released.

DirectX 12 capabilities of any GPU can not be confirmed or validated until:
          1) Microsoft releases DX12,
          2) GPU vendors offer DX12 capable drivers
          3) software is compiled to take advantage of DX12 -WE will have to wait and see!

Nvidia specifications for 780Ti
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-780-ti

So EVGA and Nvidia both state that the 780Ti supports DirectX 11 and you do not want to believe them?

DirectX 12 is a promising but as yet unreleased software product - vaporware.  There is talk about it being supported by many current GPUs when it is finally rolled-out.

To be clear: I hope that 780Ti are kept up to date and will support DX12 when it becomes available.
Nvidia and EVGA have not stated in any release that I have found that they guarantees DX12 support with this GPU.
post edited by Cool GTX - 2015/02/05 13:47:52

Attached Image(s)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Pgcmoore
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2037
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Should i jump the gun and step up to a 980 from a 780 Ti? 2015/02/04 00:17:34 (permalink)
sorry, link wont work to the article for some strange reason.

Attached Image(s)

"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down"    

My Affiliate Code is  05G-UGD-GZVU

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Should i jump the gun and step up to a 980 from a 780 Ti? 2015/02/05 13:56:13 (permalink)
Don't panic! DirectX12 won't require a new graphics card after all
http://www.pcworld.com/ar...cs-card-after-all.html
 excerpt1
Hey, gamers! Do. Not. Panic.
You won’t actually need a new graphics card to run Microsoft’s new DirectX 12 API, which will be baked into Windows 10 later this year. Microsoft has formally confirmed that modern GPUs will indeed work with DX12 after all.
The PC gaming site Rock Paper Shotgun threw people into panic mode when it reported that current GPUs—including cards purchased within the past few months—would not work with DX12.
Microsoft told PCWorld that the initial reports were incorrect.
“Microsoft’s recent demonstration of a few new Windows 10 game experiences powered by DirectX12 has led some people to ask what specific hardware will be supported by the DirectX12 API,” Kam VedBrat, Microsoft’s Group Manager for DirectX, told me via email. 
“While we are not yet ready to detail everything related to DirectX12, we can share that we are working closely with all of our hardware partners to help ensure that most modern PC gaming hardware will work well with DirectX12, including; nVidia’s Maxwell, Kepler and Fermi-based GPUs, Intel’s 4th generation (and newer) Core processors and AMD’s Graphics Core Next (GCN) based GPUs. We’ll have more to share about DirectX12 at GDC in March.”

What’s the fuss?

Rock Paper Shotgun’s original report cited Mike Ybarra, Partner Director of Program Management, Xbox Platform, speaking at Wednesday’s Windows 10 event. The site apparently asked if gamers would need new graphics cards to take advantage of DirectX 12.
“To get the full benefits of DX12, the answer is yes,” Ybarra told the reporter. “There will be DX 11.1 cards that take advantage of a lot of the driver and software tech that we’re bringing in Windows 10, but if you want the full benefits of DX12, you’re going to need a DX12 card.“
As expected, the report got gamers chattering about whether the cards they expected to work with DirectX 12 would leave them hanging.

excerpt 2
It’s possible the same thing will occur again with DirectX 12. Perhaps today’s cards will support DirectX 12.0, but for DirectX 12.1 support, you may indeed new hardware. This was intimated in an interview nVidia’s Tony Tamasi had with the TechReport.com last March:
”DirectX 12 will indeed make lower-level abstraction available (but not mandatory—there will be backward-compatibility with DX11) on existing hardware. However, Tamasi explained that DirectX 12 will introduce a set of new features in addition to the lower-level abstraction, and those features will require new hardware. In his words, Microsoft “only teased” at some of those additions this week, and a “whole bunch more” are coming.” 
That same report, however, came to the same conclusion that’s being echoed by the two major graphics vendors: that today’s hardware will give gamers the parts that really matter in terms of performance and multi-thread support.
Why this matters: Gamers—like everyone else—like to stretch their budgets. Getting more life out of a graphics card means you’ll have money to buy games. If DirectX 12 were to come out mandating new hardware beyond what was already on sale today, a mass gnashing of teeth would occur.
post edited by Cool GTX - 2015/02/06 11:35:42

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile