Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Punchy
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2969
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 14
2012/06/03 13:40:52 (permalink)
Our esteemed WCG team captain and founder and Crunching@EVGA co-captain Afterburner has decided to step down for personal reasons.  I know I'll be sad to lose him as captain after he has led us so far, but he will still be around, just not able to devote as much energy to WCG duties.  So, we need to find a new volunteer willing to handle WCG captain duties and also act as a crunching team co-captain.

For those who are new to the team or to refresh your memory, Linuxrouter and RHMash are the Crunching team captains, while Afterburner and I are co-captains.  There isn't really any assigned set of duties; people step in as needed for various efforts.  I think the main thing is that a WCG captain needs to be active on this forum as well as watching what's happening in the WCG world.  Beyond that, an interest in organizing new efforts or recruiting new members would be a plus.  And, of course, the time to do it.

Nominations?  If we only end up with one candidate, or come to a consensus, no vote is needed; otherwise, I can set up a vote in a Google form.
post edited by Punchy - 2012/06/03 13:43:47

85 Replies Related Threads

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 25794
    • Ribbons : 110
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/03 13:48:41 (permalink)
    kody7839
    yodap
    Viper97
    planetclown
    kerryd
    MOBAJOBG
    horvat
    texinga
    Simba123
    devdog51
    AFretired
    mflanaga
    tanner2
    tank1023
    Xavier Zepherious
    Ok.. Well pretty much anyone that has helped build our team to this point 

And for what it is worth (Because Punchy was so nice to do this and keep it private) ...

I sold my business, and bought into another one significantly larger than mine. This will require more of my time than one already finely tuned...  

So in truth, my "Projected" ability to help as much as our team will need (Assuming continued path of success) will take to big of a hit. 

There is no intention on my part to go anywhere. I will still do as I have always done. Stickies and all...  

Punchy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2969
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/03 13:51:16 (permalink)
    One nomination per person, please! 

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5208
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/03 14:00:51 (permalink)
    heh.. AB.. .stop that! 

I appreciate the confidence but frankly I'd defer to those more knowedgable about the system than I. 

I only know one thing and that's how to build a team in real life.  This forum stuff, well, I'm probably not good at.

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/03 14:03:32 (permalink)
    Okay.. well, having READ all of AB's post, it sounds like you've elevated yourself to the next level.  Congrats on that.  Meanwhile, it doesn't matter to me who heads this team as long as this team remains a team.  So, I'll pitch a nomination in.

Tank1023

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/03 14:04:45 (permalink)
    Punchy

One nomination per person, please! 

But they are like Doritos!!! 

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/03 14:08:55 (permalink)
    horvat's mine

a squirrel with a bazooka has got my VOTE (obediance - from sheer fear)

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/03 14:12:16 (permalink)
    Yeah.. to many choices... to many dang fine folks.  *sigh* I need to learn how to stuff ballot boxes...

mflanaga
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3077
    • Ribbons : 15
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/03 15:17:14 (permalink)
    I agree there's lots of good people that are qualified, it usually comes down to who has enough TIME to handle the various duties.. 

yodap
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4647
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/03 20:22:17 (permalink)
    I must also defer. Thanks AB

Truth is I'm a computer dolt that cant type and doesn't know the difference between an IP address and an apes arse.
    I'm an aging blue collar construction guy that is often 10 hours away from a computer and not necessarily anxious to get on one when I get home.
    Let's leave this to someone that may have actually taken a computer course in their lifetime.
    I'll contribute anything I deem worthy to  an excellent team, forum and company like EVGA, but I have no confidence that I can fulfill an obligation like this.
    However, someday I may so watch out!

texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5066
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/04 04:41:21 (permalink)
    Like Yodap, I appreciate being considered on AB's list, but also must defer.  We have lots of great team-members here, and some who could be waiting for an opportunity to step into a role.  I'm reminded of Devdog who stepped into the CC 2012 Captain's job.  He was largely unknown at the time, had little experience with CC, but had a zest for the role and did a fine job for us.  I expect we could have similar people to him that would like to participate in the Crunching Captains role, but may not be named above. 

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/04 13:09:58 (permalink)
    What no takers?  C'mon folks... here's a chance to show your leadership skills!  (And maybe how well you handle migraines! *Kidding*)

mflanaga
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/04 15:23:57 (permalink)
    Ha! The reason why I don't put my name in the hat now is that I don't even have the time to post nevermind tend to the store
    honestly! I am available to help out some, just am too busy with my normal job plus side job.
    post edited by mflanaga - 2012/06/06 12:29:20

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/04 15:36:48 (permalink)
    Actually I wouldn't mind doing it except for my limited knowledge.  I'm pretty much able to get the time to do thihgs... it's the understanding I have problems with. 

texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/04 18:18:34 (permalink)
    Viper97

Actually I wouldn't mind doing it except for my limited knowledge.  I'm pretty much able to get the time to do thihgs... it's the understanding I have problems with. 

That's the good thing about being a leader...you don't need to have all the knowledge, because your team will help you with that stuff. Having the desire to lead is the best component of what is needed. If you have that (like Devdog had for the CC Captain), it can work out OK.

linuxrouter
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8043
    • Ribbons : 104
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/04 19:53:13 (permalink)
    Afterburner
    I sold my business, and bought into another one significantly larger than mine. This will require more of my time than one already finely tuned...   

Congratulations on buying a larger business. I wish you best success with your new investment. :)
    Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/04 19:55:55 (permalink)
    linuxrouter

Afterburner

Congratulations on buying a larger business. I wish you best success with your new investment. :)

Thank you very much. Contract signing and check depositing happened today. This is a done deal. Now for the hard part. Making it all fit together and looking back three years from now with a huge smile on our faces instead of Attorney office signs... lol 

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/04 20:00:05 (permalink)
    texinga

Viper97

That's the good thing about being a leader...you don't need to have all the knowledge, because your team will help you with that stuff. Having the desire to lead is the best component of what is needed. If you have that (like Devdog had for the CC Captain), it can work out OK.

^^+1

And Viper... Look at the little effort I took to start a thread about the possibility to building a team, and here we are 6.5 months later with all of the efforts of many... I do not know anywhere near what the other Captains and Co-Captain know. They are there to help. This is not a one person crew. It is a team effort. 

All it takes is a person willing to help, communicate with the other folks as needed, being self aware enough to take a break before loosing their cool, and focusing on team building. That is it.

Besides, I am going nowhere, what little I know and have helped do will still be here... 

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/05 04:44:41 (permalink)
    I'll leave the decision to the team... I'll help in anyway I can just don't expect me to be a genius like the rest of you.  I'm too dang old for new concepts and too dang new for old ones. 

I will say this though... it's a heck of a team and as AB pointed out, look at what this team has done in just over six months.  It's remarkable. 

We do need a membership drive though.  If we can double the actual number of dedicated folders on our team in another six months, I think we can go places where no team has gone before.  (Sorry Gene Roddenberry... I just had to!)

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3837
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/05 04:50:16 (permalink)
    I am honored to have been one of the nominations. Really, choked me up a little. I would not be able to devote the time needed at this time. Don't get me wrong, I would love to do this. Right now my job is absolutely horrible. The working conditions suck, they treat me like garbage and through their scheduling bias and unfairness have effectively destroyed my personal life and my relationship. I hope to be starting a new job soon in an entirely new career field that even pays better. I have been assured I have the job but I have always been one to not count my chickens before they are hatched. When I have the offer letter in my hand then I will proceed forward. At that time I will be able to devote the time needed to be a responsible leader. Hoefully this will happen in the next 2 months. If a leader is still needed at that time, I would humbly accept the nomination. Thank you.

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/05 05:00:27 (permalink)
    Glad to hear there's a little light at the end of the tunnel Horvat... I'm wishing you the best and thanks for all the effort you've put into helping the team get to where it is today.

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/05 05:10:43 (permalink)
    Viper97

Glad to hear there's a little light at the end of the tunnel Horvat... I'm wishing you the best and thanks for all the effort you've put into helping the team get to where it is today.

Thank you for the thoughts. And I will be crunching more soon. I feel bad I have not been contributing more to the crinching team lately. I will get it all sorted out soon and at least get my crunching production back up.

texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/05 05:58:32 (permalink)
    Both of you guys (Horvat and Viper) would get my "thumbs up", including the other names on the list.  We have so many great team members here and no matter who ends up helping to lead the Team, just know that you are not at all alone.  I tell ya, I'd Crunch here even if there was little to no activity.  From what I know of this Team (virtually), I'm honored to Crunch with you all and enjoy the mutual respect/calm atmosphere that we have created here.  To our credit, and thanks to those that have the time/inclination to get more involved, we have fun on our "treks", helping each other out and even helping out other Crunching Teams/Trekkers.  It doesn't get any better than that IMO. 

PS to Horvat:  All the best on getting that new job!!  Just getting and holding one these days is a challenge, so getting one that you really like is a big plus!
    post edited by texinga - 2012/06/05 06:00:45

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/05 06:13:24 (permalink)
    texinga
    PS to Horvat:  All the best on getting that new job!!  Just getting and holding one these days is a challenge, so getting one that you really like is a big plus!

Thank you for putting that into perspective for me. In the health care field I will always have a job so sometimes I take it for granted. My current hopeful career is in the gas and oil industry with General Electric. I grew up with G.E. in Cincinnati, Ohio and they have always been a top notch company.

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/05 06:54:00 (permalink)
    Horvat

texinga

Thank you for putting that into perspective for me. In the health care field I will always have a job so sometimes I take it for granted. My current hopeful career is in the gas and oil industry with General Electric. I grew up with G.E. in Cincinnati, Ohio and they have always been a top notch company.

+1 to both comments...

And for those that read this thread and have or have not responded...

This is a four person team. Not one person. Time is when you have it.  Like during drives, answering questions, attaching our team to contests or new adventures ETC. It is not requiring what I think a few of you think it may. While it is an honor to represent our team, it is not even a part time job. No more than posting on the forums as we all do already (Time wise). Just food for thought.

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/05 07:06:33 (permalink)
    I understand what your saying AB, but I want to be in a better position before I take on the role. It's both a physical and psychological need for me. I am totally spent mentally, physically and emotionally.
    I will do it, just let me get myself straightened out first.

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/05 07:15:09 (permalink)
    Afterburner

This is a four person team. Not one person. Time is when you have it.  Like during drives, answering questions, attaching our team to contests or new adventures ETC. It is not requiring what I think a few of you think it may. While it is an honor to represent our team, it is not even a part time job. No more than posting on the forums as we all do already (Time wise). Just food for thought.

Really AB?  It's not that much more than posting?  Then why ya leaving your position.  I smell a misdirection here and I ain't buying into it!

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/05 07:16:22 (permalink)
    Horvat

I understand what your saying AB, but I want to be in a better position before I take on the role. It's both a physical and psychological need for me. I am totally spent mentally, physically and emotionally.
    I will do it, just let me get myself straightened out first.

Not to worry even a little Hovart. I just wanted to help us all with those comments.

I too am really worried and exhausted as well. You do not just sell, negotiate, talk with attorney's, work through all the what if's with your wife, speak with your employees (My God os that the hardest as you do not know what they think so you have to have countless conversations with then through it) and be a leader in your community while still running your business and stay energized... 

I am exhausted to the point my body feels like I wrestled for four hours without stretching lol...

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/05 07:20:48 (permalink)
    Viper97

Afterburner

Really AB?  It's not that much more than posting?  Then why ya leaving your position.  I smell a misdirection here and I ain't buying into it!

No miss direction I have to many things on my plate to do it all. This is one I feel we can have another member do it so they can learn, help us get to the next step. And...

I am in these roles to some capacity daily...
    • Now merging two companies, and all that goes with employees, contracts, SOP's etc...
    • Secretary of the local Rotary International
    • Secretary/Treasure of the local Business Network International
    • Mod here
    • Mod another site
    • Run a blog
    • Husband/Father
    • Co-Captain here
    • Help my disabled wife daily
    • Hobbies
    So yeah... 

mflanaga
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Looking for a new WCG captain and Crunching co-captain 2012/06/05 08:57:17 (permalink)
    Horvat

I am honored to have been one of the nominations. Really, choked me up a little. I would not be able to devote the time needed at this time. Don't get me wrong, I would love to do this. Right now my job is absolutely horrible. The working conditions suck, they treat me like garbage and through their scheduling bias and unfairness have effectively destroyed my personal life and my relationship. I hope to be starting a new job soon in an entirely new career field that even pays better. I have been assured I have the job but I have always been one to not count my chickens before they are hatched. When I have the offer letter in my hand then I will proceed forward. At that time I will be able to devote the time needed to be a responsible leader. Hoefully this will happen in the next 2 months. If a leader is still needed at that time, I would humbly accept the nomination. Thank you.

Seeing as how Horvat would LIKE to do it, but can't for a while, I would be willing to handle what needs to be done on an interim basis. When he's all refreshed and ready, I'd be willing to go back to just being a team member, with no need for any drama of any kind. (..just put that last part in there so you can quote me if I get out of line when the time comes
    I just have a 4 day vacation the second half of next week where the internet will be slow and (perhaps) spotty, as i'll be out in the boondocks, then no more vacations for the rest of the year. After that, things are very stable and work is not stressful, and the team needs help, so... reporting for duty!! If anyone else is mulling over doing the job, feel free.
    ..and just to be clear, even though it will be a "temp" position for me, I'll will not do it halfway. You can expect me to work hard to do whatever needs to be done to help out our team. I like to think of all of us as co-captains, so to speak, and will value any ideas or suggestions you may have as well.

post edited by mflanaga - 2012/06/05 09:07:30

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile