EVGA

Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy devs..

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
007vsMagua
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1677
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2015/01/01 12:33:51 (permalink)

I need to amend my first post above. I mentioned in that post that the only game I'm interested in this year is FC4 and that's not true. I didn't read this thread before I made my post, but after reading this thread I've added a bunch more to my interests. I know I said I don't like third person games, but I've really enjoyed the Mass Effect games, and once one gets use to the gameplay, it starts to feel natural. I started playing LA Noire because it sounded like a good game to play, with a story and theme I might enjoy, but once I started playing the game it seemed like it became a pain in the arse...not sure why. I'm willing to give third person a try. I'm not as experienced as most who have posted in this thread as I didn't start playing PC games until about seven years ago when a friend recommend I try HL2, and I've been hooked ever since.

Games I'll Be Looking At

South Park: The Stick of Truth
Wasteland 2
Dragon Age: Inquisition
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Divinity: Original Sin
Grim Fandango (new version)

post edited by 007vsMagua - 2015/01/01 13:39:19

"Life is like stepping onto a boat which is about to sail out to Sea and sink." _Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

EVGA __ RTX 3070 FTW Super   ---   INTEL __ i7-7700K 
MSI __ Z270 Gaming M7   ---  GSKILL __ 16GB TridentZ 3200
NZXT __ Kraken X62 / HUE+ / GRID+ v2 / AER Fans x2 / USB Hub
SAMSUNG  __ 850 EVO 500GB   ---   WD  __  1TB Black / 1TB Blue 
EVGA  __ 850 G3   ---   NZXT  __  S340 Elite (White)  -  [/siz
ARMYguy
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1050
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2015/01/01 12:46:50 (permalink)
I just re bought quake 1/2 and expansion packs on steam. Plopped on the ultra community patches, and bam, instant better FPS than any that has came out in years, with exception to the new wolfenstein that is.

Asus Strix Z790 F - Intel 13700 K - Gigabyte 4090 Windforce - 32gb DDR 5 - 1TB Samsung SSD 850 evo - Windows 10 Pro - 1TB Samsung M.2 860 - Inland 2 TB NVMe - Acer Predator X27
blargcoster
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2015/01/02 15:16:38 (permalink)
Yeah, I was hugely disappointed in some of the AAA games of this 2014. Mainly Titanfall, Watchdogs, Destiny and GTAV. GTAV because it is released again. I mean really. They re-released the exact same game they released a year ago with some extra fluff and a bit more detail. I have played more AOE:2 in the past month than most of those. I am likely not getting any new games other than one I have high hopes for. This would be DOOM.
blacksapphire08
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8875
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2015/01/02 19:23:33 (permalink)
blargcoster
Yeah, I was hugely disappointed in some of the AAA games of this 2014. Mainly Titanfall, Watchdogs, Destiny and GTAV. GTAV because it is released again. I mean really. They re-released the exact same game they released a year ago with some extra fluff and a bit more detail. I have played more AOE:2 in the past month than most of those. I am likely not getting any new games other than one I have high hopes for. This would be DOOM.

Well I didnt get to play Doom 3 when it came out and picked it up in the Steam sale. Wow it's nothing like the old ones whatsoever, everything feels slow. On the bright side it did come with Doom 1 and 2 which are still a blast to play.

blargcoster
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2015/01/02 21:23:47 (permalink)
Yeah, I hear ya. It looks great and is really immersive with the horror, but it isn't as fast paced as 1 or 2. I wouldn't recommend bfg edition because it went easy mode and changed a lot of things that I feel lessened the three games experience.
blacksapphire08
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2015/01/03 06:16:28 (permalink)
blargcoster
Yeah, I hear ya. It looks great and is really immersive with the horror, but it isn't as fast paced as 1 or 2. I wouldn't recommend bfg edition because it went easy mode and changed a lot of things that I feel lessened the three games experience.

Yeah I bought the BFG edition since it came with everything packed in. I think John Carmack should make Doom 4 more like the originals just modernized graphics/sound. I think it would be a hit.

fubarhouse
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 288
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2015/01/03 14:48:45 (permalink)
blacksapphire08
blargcoster

Yeah I bought the BFG edition since it came with everything packed in. I think John Carmack should make Doom 4 more like the originals just modernized graphics/sound. I think it would be a hit.

John Carmack and all of the original executives have unfortunately moved on.
Carmack may be a genius, but his work with DOOM concluded some time ago.
He's now working on the Oculus Rift and due to this I may get one when it's officially released.

id will never be the same again now, but I still share my lifetime support for them.
So many great games, technical advancements and memories...

From what I've heard DOOM will be much faster pace, and it'll lose the horror elements which slowed down gameplay in Doom 3.
ARMYguy
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1050
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2015/01/05 05:48:52 (permalink)
I still make doom levels, thats how amazing doom is. Still fun today.

Asus Strix Z790 F - Intel 13700 K - Gigabyte 4090 Windforce - 32gb DDR 5 - 1TB Samsung SSD 850 evo - Windows 10 Pro - 1TB Samsung M.2 860 - Inland 2 TB NVMe - Acer Predator X27
candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3677
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2015/01/06 07:31:10 (permalink)
ARMYguy
I just re bought quake 1/2 and expansion packs on steam. Plopped on the ultra community patches, and bam, instant better FPS than any that has came out in years, with exception to the new wolfenstein that is.

I dunno Serious Sam HD is pretty new and has great shooter genes lol
boredgunner
Over 9000!
  • Total Posts : 19181
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2015/01/07 10:48:52 (permalink)
candle_86
ARMYguy

I dunno Serious Sam HD is pretty new and has great shooter genes lol

If you like classic arcade shooters then I agree, check out Serious Sam HD (both parts).  It might be the only classic style shooter I like, since I much prefer more mature shooters.

007vsMagua
FTW Member
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2015/01/07 12:57:38 (permalink)

On a side note, if you like Serious Sam you might want to give "The Talos Principle" a look if you liked the Portal games.

From the list of games I listed in my last post above I've narrowed the list down to: "South Park..." and "The Vanishing...".

Recently my attention has been drawn to DOOM. DOOM is way before my time even though I'm probably older than John Carmack, it's taking me awhile to catch up. In research I did, the original DOOM was released 21 years ago by ID. I've never played any of the DOOM games so I'm thinking I might enjoy playing DOOM 3: BFG Edition, because I have a fresh slate to work with.

I just added DOOM 3: BFG Edition to my Steam wish list. It's now for sale for $20.00 but I'll probably wait till I can pick it up for $10.00.

"Life is like stepping onto a boat which is about to sail out to Sea and sink." _Shunryu Suzuki Roshi

fubarhouse
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 288
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2015/01/07 15:07:36 (permalink)
007vsMagua

On a side note, if you like Serious Sam you might want to give "The Talos Principle" a look if you liked the Portal games.

From the list of games I listed in my last post above I've narrowed the list down to: "South Park..." and "The Vanishing...".

Recently my attention has been drawn to DOOM. DOOM is way before my time even though I'm probably older than John Carmack, it's taking me awhile to catch up. In research I did, the original DOOM was released 21 years ago by ID. I've never played any of the DOOM games so I'm thinking I might enjoy playing DOOM 3: BFG Edition, because I have a fresh slate to work with.

I just added DOOM 3: BFG Edition to my Steam wish list. It's now for sale for $20.00 but I'll probably wait till I can pick it up for $10.00.

Not the most shining example of the work he did with ID.
Doom 3 (non-BFG edition) with HD mods is still quite nice 11 years after its release.
You may want to check out Wolf3D (using ecwolf not dosbox), Doom2, Rage and Quake 3: Arena / Quake Live.
I'll always going to love id software, even if none of the original staff are still there - but I will continue to follow Tim Willits and John Carmack's work. Carmack really is a genius, but some people believe he's over-rated. Even if he is, he doesn't need money, and he is passionate about improving technology - he is good for everybody.

I don't believe we'll ever see such leaps in technological advancement ever again after the release of Doom 3. You never know, but everything now is such a high quality that there aren't any limitations anymore - and Carmack is one that drove us from Commander Keen to Doom 3 (and of course Rage).
post edited by fubarhouse - 2015/01/07 15:09:50
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2015/01/07 17:31:40 (permalink)
I hope the next DOOM does go back to an older DOOM feel, not necessarily the smartest monsters but WALLS of them and room to move, it was just a fun twitch game.  And they really did all they could for immersion with the technology at hand back in the day.  Quake was another classic by them, the original was so dark and gloomy, so much fun.  There are MUCH more refined games now, and that is great, but I would really love to have something with the feel of 1994 again but with current graphics and music.

ARMYguy
I still make doom levels, thats how amazing doom is. Still fun today.

What tools do you use for this?  I know there are many out there, haven't done that in YEARS, literally not since DOS, but, I would be open to checking out some of the newer tools and see what I could do with it.  Those games bring back SO many memories.
blacksapphire08
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2015/01/07 19:55:44 (permalink)
007vsMagua

Not trying to burst your bubble but Doom 3 was pretty disappointing when you compare it to the originals. It seemed like it was closer to Resident Evil than the old Doom games and even then not nearly as good as RE. If you do decide to buy it definitely wait until it's on sale.

candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2015/01/07 20:48:16 (permalink)
yea I never got into Doom 3, I loved Doom and Doom 2 though. On a postivie note from what I've read about Doom aka Doom 4, it returns to the roots, endless monsters, no reloading. I really hope we get keycards again though :D

Though for FPS I've got admit Doom wasn't the shining star of DOS FPS, that is a tie between Dark Forces and Duke Nukem 3d. Doom started it, those 2 just made it so much better.
007vsMagua
FTW Member
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2015/01/07 21:55:22 (permalink)
blacksapphire08

Not trying to burst your bubble but Doom 3 was pretty disappointing when you compare it to the originals. It seemed like it was closer to Resident Evil than the old Doom games and even then not nearly as good as RE. If you do decide to buy it definitely wait until it's on sale.

Yeah, that does seem to be the general consensus, but because I've never played anything DOOM or Resident Evil, and I like FPS horror types of games, I'm willing to give it a try. DOOM 3: BFG does include v. 1 and 2 plus other stuff, so it seems I will get it all. I really got freaked out playing F.E.A.R., but the later episodes kind of lost it...not scary enough.

I think it will get better.

TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2015/01/09 15:37:26 (permalink)
To be completely fair, Doom3 was a perfectly good game, I think the main problem with it was, they called it Doom.  It is REALLY not a Doom game, atmosphere, game play, the whole nine yards was all different.  Also, if you are looking forward to your next chapter in fast forward action, killing monsters by the thousands, tons of wide open combat and get something that is slightly stealthy, REALLY dark, confined, slower paced with little clips in game the remove you from the action and monster placement going for the scare not the challenge, you would be REALLY disillusioned too.
If it was "ID Software: Mars Incident" or something like that (just made that up right now, which is why it sounded lame) I think there would have been a lot less negativity.

Also, for a game as old as it is, the graphics held up pretty well, it is obviously not any number of other current AAA titles, but it is not bad.

With an open mind I think you will dig it.  Afterwards,. since you are getting the BFG edition, play the first 2 and like them or not, I think you will see why we said  "ummmm...... this isn't Doom".
HopliteGFX
  • Total Posts : 62
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2015/01/10 12:07:37 (permalink)
Probably one of the best indy fps I've played is insurgency. It is a slow paced, realistic style shooter. My friends andi actually enjoy looking for gems in the pile. Lol

"Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none."
My rig: EVGA X58 SLI Micro Motherboard // EVGA GTX 570 HD GPU
Intel i7 920 @ 3.6GHz// 8GB G.Skill 10666 RAM
LEPA 500W PSU // WD 1TB HD
007vsMagua
FTW Member
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2015/01/10 13:08:06 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveB
To be completely fair, Doom3 was a perfectly good game, I think the main problem with it was, they called it Doom.  It is REALLY not a Doom game, atmosphere, game play, the whole nine yards was all different.  Also, if you are looking forward to your next chapter in fast forward action, killing monsters by the thousands, tons of wide open combat and get something that is slightly stealthy, REALLY dark, confined, slower paced with little clips in game the remove you from the action and monster placement going for the scare not the challenge, you would be REALLY disillusioned too.
If it was "ID Software: Mars Incident" or something like that (just made that up right now, which is why it sounded lame) I think there would have been a lot less negativity.

Also, for a game as old as it is, the graphics held up pretty well, it is obviously not any number of other current AAA titles, but it is not bad.

With an open mind I think you will dig it.  Afterwards,. since you are getting the BFG edition, play the first 2 and like them or not, I think you will see why we said  "ummmm...... this isn't Doom".

Thanks for your thoughts. I just might give DOOM 1&2 a shot first to see what it's all about. When I get around to trying the BFG Edition, I'll try to keep an open mind.

TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2015/01/14 13:35:20 (permalink)
No problem, I hope you enjoy them.  Old Doom was just fast paced fun.  Also, for that engine, there was slight auto aim, be careful you can blow yourself up with Rocket when you fire close to a door, because it "helps" and "corrects" your aim and blow you up. 
There are also a lot of mods out there for all of the games too.  Hope you have fun!

**edit** typo
candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2015/01/19 22:16:24 (permalink)
but blowing up self with rocket is part of the learning experince 
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile