EVGA

Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy devs..

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
donta1979
Primarch
  • Total Posts : 15886
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 72
2014/12/06 14:35:22 (permalink)
I have noticed that most of the games this year just on the AAA area have been crap we probably had what 2-6 good game all around just on pc/console? Then the Indy devs not just this year but in general its like 99.99% of these indy devs are putting out crap, like something I would not be proud of, that is for PC/Console/Mobile... we have what maybe 10-20 exceptional indy games that are really amazing and done well. Then the rest are just face palm failures, like back in the day of Atari when these little studios basically stole other games did a copy and paste, renamed it, changed some colors and said tada we have game we are awesome we sure showed them! That led to the gaming industry in general taking a nose dive into almost full oblivion for a short time especially for consoles....  until Nintendo sparked gamers interest again saying see we care about creating a fun and cool game.

I just have seen all the games this year, lots of reading, and the steam discovery thing.... all I can say is these losers, armatures, are turning gaming into the next monster.com where you cannot see the good potential employee/product from the bad... if I was a student I would be proud of it, but these guys are putting their names on this stuff and selling it as a product, and a terrible product at that, nothing but copy paste clones, and honestly nothing to be proud of...

I just hold the standards high, have done my time in the AAA industry, put out quality mods for games on my spare time that are better done in modeling/texture quality than the original game they go into but I still make them look like they belong in that game and not from an alternate reality dimension.... It just amazes me most of these indy companies are just sad... honestly... no creativity, no innovation, no real pride in their work or craftsmanship... AAA industry suffers from that too, but the Indy world has upped the bar in that department of terrible looking, clone to a new level of unprofessional work of shenanigans...

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
My Build
Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller

80 Replies Related Threads

fubarhouse
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 288
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/06 15:55:40 (permalink)
    Agreed, so I am very selective in the games I choose.
    Almost all my games are old-school, and all of the others I am convinced that the time was worth my while.
    I am concerned with many of my Ubisoft titles, I simply don't buy EA or Activision anymore - I would love to play Wolfenstein (2009) or Dark Reign again but the games industry has been changed for the worse. More control means less passion.

Choose your products carefully, or you'll end up just buying stuff you'll never use. :)
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/06 17:42:59 (permalink)
    I have a feeling more publishers are going to lower the bar for PC titles to make sure console gamers can't notice a difference in quality. We already see them locking games at 30fps due to consoles can't handle 60fps.

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/06 19:56:11 (permalink)
    It's a time of change and it's showing. One thing  the internet does well is level the playing field for distribution. That is a double edged sword though. It empowers anyone to put something out and main thing the internet is known for is noise. Publishers are struggling with the status quo and indies are all over the place. Things will settle down a bit more in the next 5-10 years. Right now, don't expect things to be so clear cut though. Empowering people and change is not always a stabilizing thing. People say they want choices and new options, but do they really? Just because something is new or different doesn't mean it's an improvement.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2014/12/06 19:59:24
    kidcrumb
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4541
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/06 20:05:03 (permalink)
    I just want Engine Toolkits to be more available.

I love a lot of these indie games but I am sick and tired of the Retro Sprite Graphics. 

The AAA Games that have been released ths year are hit or miss. Either, its a good game with huge performance isues (Far Cry 4, Assassin's Creed Unity) or it is an average game that is marketed as game of the year. (Shadow of Mordor, Ryse Son of Rome)

Intel i7 11700k l ASUS PRIME Z590-A l ASUS TUF RTX3080Ti l 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro l Evga 1000w Gold l 512GB Samsung EVO l 2x5 TB Storage Drives l  Corsair Crystal 570X White l Audio Engine A5+

blacksapphire08
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8875
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/06 20:32:33 (permalink)
    People keep buying them so developers think its ok to keep pushing them out every year. Specifically EA, Activision, Ubisoft, and Microsoft. 2014 was pretty meh but I think 2015 will be better with titles like The Witcher 3 and Just Cause 3 coming out. Fingers crossed.

Tropickz
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 735
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/06 21:09:32 (permalink)
    blacksapphire08
     I think 2015 will be better with titles like The Witcher 3 and Just Cause 3 coming out. Fingers crossed.

Me too.. plus Eidos just announced there new "dawn engine" to be the backbone for the next dues ex, should be interesting to see how far they are gonna push the new GPU technology.

donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/14 09:25:06 (permalink)
    I don't have a lot of hope right now on steam I have viewed like 2259 games and not interested in a total of 2088 of them... the amount of indy junk and just bad games I am having to sift though is ugh....

Heatware   

My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/14 10:00:24 (permalink)
    I like first person shooters and there is really not enough of those.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

boredgunner
    Over 9000!
    • Total Posts : 19181
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/14 11:56:42 (permalink)
    It's just you, and others who can't see or appreciate what goes into games (and can't see what's missing in others).  Or perhaps you actually just missed the great games this year; the ones created with a sense of pride, the ones that really follow the creators' vision, the ones that are both innovative and creative.  2014 was a hell of a lot better than 2013.  

Dragon Age: Inquisition is easily the most ambitious game ever made, like it or not.  That is an objective statement.  It raises the bar just because of what it set out to do: what other games have attempted to bring together a massive, highly detailed, and highly interactive and divergent multi-regional open world design (that changes based on the player's interaction and choice) with strong story/character focus, a branching plot based on player choice, really dynamic character development based on the player's actions and dialogue choices, tactical party-based gameplay with at least some diversity (4 playstyles, all of which are balanced quite well), and micromanaging for even more gameplay diversity?  It has perhaps more dialogue than any other game, and despite being story-driven it can easily last over 100 hours.  Nothing else comes close.  This is one of few examples of an AAA studio actually using its budget to improve and expand upon the game, opposed to just spending it on voice actors and marketing (so EA did a surprisingly good job budgeting).  It's not flawless or anything, but if other studios had the same scope then gaming would be in a much better place.

In terms of indie games, we got Wasteland 2, Divinity: Original Sin, The Walking Dead: Season Two, The Wolf Among Us, Game of Thrones, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.  All of these show innovation, creativity, while Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin demonstrate a scale/scope that we rarely ever see in indie games (both are 60+ hour RPGs, Wasteland 2 in particular can play out in so many different ways).  I could go into detail about how each of these titles are innovative and well executed if you want.  

rjohnson11
    I like first person shooters and there is really not enough of those.

Sarcasm?  FPS is the most polluted genre. 

blacksapphire08
    2014 was pretty meh but I think 2015 will be better with titles like The Witcher 3 and Just Cause 3 coming out. Fingers crossed.

I think those are two games responsible for donta's criticism (mostly the latter).  Just Cause 3 will just be another big open world game about destruction and meaningless violence, no?  Where is the innovation in that?  What's the purpose? 

The Witcher games have always been responsible for killing the RPG genre by taking away RPG elements and making the existing RPG elements extremely shallow.  They have shrunken scopes, little to no ambition, and no innovation, whether you like them or not.  Please point out ways in which the first two Witcher games are innovative.

The Witcher 2 just has the most basic hack and slash button mashing combat with only one playstyle, and although the writing is good, it doesn't demonstrate the kind of interactive plot and character development that story-driven RPGs are supposed to have (like Bioware, Obsidian, InXile, and Interplay/Black Isle RPGs).  Let's not forget how linear and generic the environments of the first two Witcher games are.  They're full of invisible walls, and just seem to be quickly thrown together by one person, not being carefully crafted with the attention to detail seen in other games.  The side quests of these games are the most basic, pointless fetch quests, so really the only thing to do is advance from point A to point B through the plot, and The Witcher 2 only branches out into two main paths really.

The Witcher 3 will at least be open world instead of extremely linear like its predecessors, but that just makes it another open world action game.  I do expect that the open world will at least be better than the likes of Just Cause 2, Just Cause 3, Far Cry 3, and Far Cry 4, since those games are just about playing in a sandbox, driving vehicles off of cliffs, and blowing things up.

All eyes should instead focus on Torment: Tides of Numenera, SOMA, and maybe Pillars of Eternity for 2015.  There isn't any innovation in Pillars of Eternity though, since it looks identical to a late 90s cRPG, but it should at least be competent, well-written, and diverse. 
    post edited by boredgunner - 2014/12/14 12:03:14

ARMYguy
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1050
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/15 04:19:50 (permalink)
    I wish there was more good RTS games, that's a genre that is always dying. I also want WW2 games, so i'm really just screwed when it comes to what i can play these days, basically company of heroes and men of war.

I recently got into Sins of a Solar Empire, and wow i really like it. Wonder why i ignored it before?

Asus Strix Z790 F - Intel 13700 K - Gigabyte 4090 Windforce - 32gb DDR 5 - 1TB Samsung SSD 850 evo - Windows 10 Pro - 1TB Samsung M.2 860 - Inland 2 TB NVMe - Acer Predator X27
    fubarhouse
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 288
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/15 04:29:30 (permalink)
    ARMYguy
    I wish there was more good RTS games, that's a genre that is always dying. I also want WW2 games, so i'm really just screwed when it comes to what i can play these days, basically company of heroes and men of war.

I recently got into Sins of a Solar Empire, and wow i really like it. Wonder why i ignored it before?

I would love a new Red Alert or Total Annihilation :)
    Shame is that Blizzard are the only ones really pushing that genre and they've got nothing new...
    patchesanook
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3903
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/15 05:00:01 (permalink)
    i would like to see a comeback in  dedicated servers that can be rented.
    theses listen or cloud  servers have to much lag and cheaters.

HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4805
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/15 07:22:00 (permalink)
    No gaming is not in a decline its just you.

nikkocortez
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2884
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/15 09:13:10 (permalink)
    The dedicated servers are what I am missing most.  I'm all for the free to play games and the online hosted stuff but it sucks when devs pull the plug on maintaining or developing them and leave you with out the game.  It's why the LANs I host typically stick to older titles like F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate, TF2, Frontlines FOW, and Tribes Vengeance along with some others.
    boredgunner
    Over 9000!
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/15 10:31:14 (permalink)
    Dedicated servers will always be around, it's only a worry in all of the awful worthless mainstream PvP games coming out these days.

candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3677
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/15 18:05:11 (permalink)
    yes the quality for PC games has gone down quite a bit, the old fun just isn't their anymore, and I'd argue its more the gamer market is much larger than it once was. But we still have 1997-2004 to remember. Lets reflect on what we got during that time shall we.

Red Alert 2, No One Lives Forever, Generals, Half Life, Counter Strike, Day of Defeat, Far Cry, Half Life 2, Doom 3, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Never Winter Nights, Knights of the Old Republic, Star Trek Bridge Commander, Alpha Centuri, Alien vs Predator, Dues Ex, Serious Sam, Quake III, Splinter Cell, Prince of Pesia the Sands of Time, Mafia, Combat Flight Simulator 2, Flight Simulator 2004, Battlefield 2, Quake IV, Jedi Knight Series, Age of Empires, SimCity 4, The Sims, Fallout, and many more. 
    boredgunner
    Over 9000!
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/15 20:29:21 (permalink)
    candle_86
    yes the quality for PC games has gone down quite a bit, the old fun just isn't their anymore, and I'd argue its more the gamer market is much larger than it once was. But we still have 1997-2004 to remember. Lets reflect on what we got during that time shall we.

Red Alert 2, No One Lives Forever, Generals, Half Life, Counter Strike, Day of Defeat, Far Cry, Half Life 2, Doom 3, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Never Winter Nights, Knights of the Old Republic, Star Trek Bridge Commander, Alpha Centuri, Alien vs Predator, Dues Ex, Serious Sam, Quake III, Splinter Cell, Prince of Pesia the Sands of Time, Mafia, Combat Flight Simulator 2, Flight Simulator 2004, Battlefield 2, Quake IV, Jedi Knight Series, Age of Empires, SimCity 4, The Sims, Fallout, and many more. 

Fast-paced arcade FPS still exists, especially in the indie scene.  I find Insurgency to be a better, more advanced version of Counter-Strike.  

There are still games like Neverwinter Nights and KOTOR, albeit with slightly dumbed down gameplay in comparison, but instead they're larger in scale, have more detailed/interactive environments, and best of all much greater story/dialogue focus (Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age: Inquisition).  Don't forget to check out Pillars of Eternity next year, which looks just like a late 90s cRPG (even in the sense that it shows zero advancement).  Torment: Tides of Numenera is another classic-style RPG that at least doesn't look like it was pulled straight from 1999 like PoE.

Serious Sam is still an ongoing franchise, though the HD remake of the first two games is still the best.  

The Red Orchestra franchise shows many mechanical advancements over the classic Battlefield games (leading to more tactical gameplay), with the only drawback being the lack of aircraft.  You forgot to mention Operation Flashpoint which is one of the most innovative games from that time period, and the ArmA games are better in pretty much every way.  

If you like the classic Fallout games, you should like Wasteland 2 which also has a much bigger scale.  

Some other games you didn't mention: Thief series (the first two anyway, which are way more advanced stealth games than any Splinter Cell game), Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate series, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Rainbow Six 3.

I'd say there is probably a greater amount of good games during that time, but let's reflect on the great games that we have now.

• Dragon Age: Inquisition, which is objectively the most ambitious single player game.
    • Dragon Age: Origins and the Mass Effect trilogy, which along with Inquisition demonstrate a level of interactive storytelling that was never seen before.
    • The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, which like the aforementioned games take interactive storytelling and character development to a higher level.
    • Natural Selection 2 which unlike the classic PvP shooters tests more than just reflexes: it's a hybrid RTS and tactical shooter, demanding a level of teamwork and strategy that no other PvP shooter approaches.
    • Rising Storm, Insurgency, which show serious mechanical advancements over classic shooters.
    • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Fallout 3, which showcase a much higher level of open world detail and expansiveness than ever before.
    • Fallout: New Vegas, one of the most expansive and ambitious games of all time, one of few that seeks to combine strong storytelling and character development with a detailed open world design (the only other games that tried to do this are Dragon Age: Inquisition and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl, both are from a later time period than the one you describe).
    • Penumbra, Amnesia: The Dark Descent and their mastery of both survival horror and psychological horror (horror barely existed on PC during that time, and these PC games brought it back to life).
    • Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Director's Cut) which is a stronger stealth game and RPG than the original, and is more dialogue heavy.
    • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, a distinct trilogy of very large scale shooters with some hardcore survival mechanics (especially with mods) and an intriguing story in the first game.
    • Metro 2033 and Last Light, which take storytelling in shooters to much higher levels than games from your time period, in addition to having less linearity/more exploration, far more detail, and innovative survival mechanics (shooters from 1997-2004 were more about running around at 100 MPH, shooting everything in sight, and finding some hidden power-ups, there is far more to the likes of Metro and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. like them or not).
    • Dishonored, which is more open and diverse than any of the classic stealth games (and perhaps any other stealth game in existence).

It goes both ways.  I'll take today's story-driven, larger scale, more interactive, and more complex games than yesterday's arcade shooters.  On the other hand, I do miss the added gameplay complexity and diversity of the classic RPGs that you mentioned (NWN series and KOTOR series), I miss Rainbow Six 3 and want a modern counterpart with no sacrifices (but with many improvements please), Planescape: Torment still has by far the best writing of any game, but I'm not simply tripping on nostalgia here.  Today there are great games, awful games, and everything in between, and the same applies to 1997-2004, but don't pretend that there haven't been advances beyond graphics and animations (although on that note I really miss hardware accelerated sound LOL).
    post edited by boredgunner - 2014/12/15 20:35:43

lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/15 21:22:20 (permalink)
    Following the business moto, "you gotta spend money to make money", and an independent developer would lack the funds to satisfy everyone all the time-- note the cheeky impossibility.

On one hand, this is a 2-way street, we can't just place 100% of the blame on game developers; we have to accept some blame whether our expectations are too high or we've saturated ourselves b getting too many games to begin with which have made us immune to certain levels of creativity.  I restrict getting new games once per year so I don't get saturated and crave for 'impossible to please', it also controls upgrade itches and saves me money.

On the other hand, we have to consider the audience, who are the "crap" titles aimed at?  Chances are, they aren't aimed at those that don't see appeal; doesn't mean the game has no point if it isn't for us...we aren't the center of the universe, so to speak.

ARMYguy
    I wish there was more good RTS games, that's a genre that is always dying.
    This is to me evidence that PC gaming is in decline simply because such complex titles are best on the PC platform and we're big from the 90's into the 2000's, and not so much nowadays.  

Consoles are for casual gaming, not in terms of frequency of gaming or image quality expectation, rather ease of gameplay.  RTS games have way too many parameters requiring the control and monitoring of dozens to hundreds of characters at once, it takes a lot of thinking-- whereas most first-person or racing games are easy, they require no thinking to get into; they are by definition "casual". 

But few people actually like deliberately complex games, thus PC-oriented titles are dying out in favor of easy-to-control (reduced responsibility) games that console players get into rather easily.  There are a few RTS in console, but they are watered down and not enough to sway favor or imply growth for the genre.  Some suggest Minecraft will do that, I don't think so.

I know I'd never see an Age or Empires, World in Conflict, or Anno style game on XB1/PS4; it would be nice but I don't expect it.  
    post edited by lehpron - 2014/12/15 21:25:09

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/16 04:33:37 (permalink)
    boredgunner
    candle_86

Fast-paced arcade FPS still exists, especially in the indie scene.  I find Insurgency to be a better, more advanced version of Counter-Strike.  

There are still games like Neverwinter Nights and KOTOR, albeit with slightly dumbed down gameplay in comparison, but instead they're larger in scale, have more detailed/interactive environments, and best of all much greater story/dialogue focus (Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age: Inquisition).  Don't forget to check out Pillars of Eternity next year, which looks just like a late 90s cRPG (even in the sense that it shows zero advancement).  Torment: Tides of Numenera is another classic-style RPG that at least doesn't look like it was pulled straight from 1999 like PoE.

Serious Sam is still an ongoing franchise, though the HD remake of the first two games is still the best.  

The Red Orchestra franchise shows many mechanical advancements over the classic Battlefield games (leading to more tactical gameplay), with the only drawback being the lack of aircraft.  You forgot to mention Operation Flashpoint which is one of the most innovative games from that time period, and the ArmA games are better in pretty much every way.  

If you like the classic Fallout games, you should like Wasteland 2 which also has a much bigger scale.  

Some other games you didn't mention: Thief series (the first two anyway, which are way more advanced stealth games than any Splinter Cell game), Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate series, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Rainbow Six 3.

I'd say there is probably a greater amount of good games during that time, but let's reflect on the great games that we have now.

• Dragon Age: Inquisition, which is objectively the most ambitious single player game.
    • Dragon Age: Origins and the Mass Effect trilogy, which along with Inquisition demonstrate a level of interactive storytelling that was never seen before.
    • The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, which like the aforementioned games take interactive storytelling and character development to a higher level.
    • Natural Selection 2 which unlike the classic PvP shooters tests more than just reflexes: it's a hybrid RTS and tactical shooter, demanding a level of teamwork and strategy that no other PvP shooter approaches.
    • Rising Storm, Insurgency, which show serious mechanical advancements over classic shooters.
    • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Fallout 3, which showcase a much higher level of open world detail and expansiveness than ever before.
    • Fallout: New Vegas, one of the most expansive and ambitious games of all time, one of few that seeks to combine strong storytelling and character development with a detailed open world design (the only other games that tried to do this are Dragon Age: Inquisition and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl, both are from a later time period than the one you describe).
    • Penumbra, Amnesia: The Dark Descent and their mastery of both survival horror and psychological horror (horror barely existed on PC during that time, and these PC games brought it back to life).
    • Deus Ex: Human Revolution (Director's Cut) which is a stronger stealth game and RPG than the original, and is more dialogue heavy.
    • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, a distinct trilogy of very large scale shooters with some hardcore survival mechanics (especially with mods) and an intriguing story in the first game.
    • Metro 2033 and Last Light, which take storytelling in shooters to much higher levels than games from your time period, in addition to having less linearity/more exploration, far more detail, and innovative survival mechanics (shooters from 1997-2004 were more about running around at 100 MPH, shooting everything in sight, and finding some hidden power-ups, there is far more to the likes of Metro and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. like them or not).
    • Dishonored, which is more open and diverse than any of the classic stealth games (and perhaps any other stealth game in existence).

It goes both ways.  I'll take today's story-driven, larger scale, more interactive, and more complex games than yesterday's arcade shooters.  On the other hand, I do miss the added gameplay complexity and diversity of the classic RPGs that you mentioned (NWN series and KOTOR series), I miss Rainbow Six 3 and want a modern counterpart with no sacrifices (but with many improvements please), Planescape: Torment still has by far the best writing of any game, but I'm not simply tripping on nostalgia here.  Today there are great games, awful games, and everything in between, and the same applies to 1997-2004, but don't pretend that there haven't been advances beyond graphics and animations (although on that note I really miss hardware accelerated sound LOL).

im not saying we don't get some good games, and yea i forgot quite a few, but what I'm saying today you can't walk into any store and spend 3 hours deciding on which game gets your money, its no longer a hard choice as it once was. When you get 2-3 good games a year compared to 20 a year worth playing, it becomes alot easier to purchase, and thats how I look at it today. Yes we still have good games, but the golden age is long gone, and most of it is crap.
    boredgunner
    Over 9000!
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/16 18:51:36 (permalink)

candle_86

im not saying we don't get some good games, and yea i forgot quite a few, but what I'm saying today you can't walk into any store and spend 3 hours deciding on which game gets your money, its no longer a hard choice as it once was. When you get 2-3 good games a year compared to 20 a year worth playing, it becomes alot easier to purchase, and thats how I look at it today. Yes we still have good games, but the golden age is long gone, and most of it is crap.

Yeah a lot of things have changed.  Today if you walk into a game store you will hardly see any PC games to begin with.  You might still make a hard decision when choosing a game, but the choice will be more along the lines of "Which one of these has the greatest chance of being decent?" instead of "Which one of these looks MOST interesting?"

chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/16 21:19:54 (permalink)
     I can name quite a few that are good. As of lately, we have Alien Isolation, Banished came out this year, Shadow of Mordor has been good for me, The Long Dark, The Talos Principle... Sadly, you are correct though, the majority of games are really not that good anymore. Mainly the games being pumped out of Capcom, EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Atari... All the big name companies. 
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/16 21:34:32 (permalink)
    BTW, you mention Nintendo, I've been playing a lot of WiiU exclusives lately. The Mario games are great. 
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/16 21:47:21 (permalink)
    so far this year I have gotten and played DAI, Wasteland 2, Titanfall, South Park the Stick of Truth.

The only Indy game that screams quality is Wasteland 2. The others I have seen I see many pre configured lighting, shading networks, for me they stick out like a sore thumb. The game of Thorns game... Really look at the reviews, I don't even care for the show.... Then look at many of the Indy game textures it looks like they got them straight off of cg textures ran them though crazy bump or Xnormals used presets then hit export:/

Then look at games from 5-10 years ago possibly as far back as 02-03 then look at many games today especially on the Indy side of things, notice much of a difference in model quality and textures? Nope.... Not a big difference... Only a change in lighting and that's partly thanks to gpu's today.

Also visuals of any Indy companies are giving us games with only 8bit to 16bit graphics from the 80's and 90's by the truck load if I wanted to play something that old I would pull out my 386/486 pc or a pentium 133mhz gateway, or my Nintendo, or sega genesis and play old games I know are good. Or repurchase a classic game that has had its code tweaked for today's hardware and os's.
    I highly suggest you go through the new steam discovery you will be filled by mass disappointment. I am at over 2k games of not interested.

I would not say this year is a good year for games better than last year? Yes...

Heatware   

My Build
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/16 22:21:49 (permalink)
    Yeah, South Park was good too. 
    candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/17 04:07:21 (permalink)
    donta1979
    so far this year I have gotten and played DAI, Wasteland 2, Titanfall, South Park the Stick of Truth.

The only Indy game that screams quality is Wasteland 2. The others I have seen I see many pre configured lighting, shading networks, for me they stick out like a sore thumb. The game of Thorns game... Really look at the reviews, I don't even care for the show.... Then look at many of the Indy game textures it looks like they got them straight off of cg textures ran them though crazy bump or Xnormals used presets then hit export:/

Then look at games from 5-10 years ago possibly as far back as 02-03 then look at many games today especially on the Indy side of things, notice much of a difference in model quality and textures? Nope.... Not a big difference... Only a change in lighting and that's partly thanks to gpu's today.

Also visuals of any Indy companies are giving us games with only 8bit to 16bit graphics from the 80's and 90's by the truck load if I wanted to play something that old I would pull out my 386/486 pc or a pentium 133mhz gateway, or my Nintendo, or sega genesis and play old games I know are good. Or repurchase a classic game that has had its code tweaked for today's hardware and os's.
    I highly suggest you go through the new steam discovery you will be filled by mass disappointment. I am at over 2k games of not interested.

I would not say this year is a good year for games better than last year? Yes...

the graphics arnt what makes a game good, its all of it, story, replayability, enjoyment, and grahpics. If 3 are awesome you can prop up a weak 4th unless its enjoyment.
    boredgunner
    Over 9000!
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/17 13:45:27 (permalink)
    donta1979

Well I'm glad you mentioned this because I also think this is stupid.  These developers are taking advantage though: people (hipsters) actually WANT their games to look like a 90s game.  They want it to play like a 90s game too, these are the people who think 90s games are better in every single way and games should have never evolved.  So these studios get to save time and money by making their games dated, and they satisfy their niche in the process.

donta1979
    Primarch
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/17 13:48:43 (permalink)
    True but it helps, but look what happened to gaming during the Atari time frame, when you had all of these little Indy studios copy and pasting copying other games... The game industry was pretty much destroyed, that is what is happening now, copy and paste of pre configured engine code, preset assets from models, lights, triggers, rigs, animations the entire production pipeline on 99.99% of the Indy studios... Then the majority of triple AAA companies not innovating, and more and more going down the drain every year. Fact on all accounts...

Heatware   

My Build
    candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/17 15:59:55 (permalink)
    boredgunner
    donta1979

Well I'm glad you mentioned this because I also think this is stupid.  These developers are taking advantage though: people (hipsters) actually WANT their games to look like a 90s game.  They want it to play like a 90s game too, these are the people who think 90s games are better in every single way and games should have never evolved.  So these studios get to save time and money by making their games dated, and they satisfy their niche in the process.

well honestly side scrollers where better in the 90's and late 80's
    boredgunner
    Over 9000!
    Re: Is it me or is Gaming in general on decline both because most AAA studios, and Indy de 2014/12/17 16:49:08 (permalink)
    candle_86

well honestly side scrollers where better in the 90's and late 80's

You'd know better than me, since I don't play sidescrollers.  I had RPGs in mind when I wrote that post: a number of people think that all RPGs should be isometric 2.5D only, not realizing 2.5D was only used due to technological limitation in the 90s.  Some even go as far as wanting the extremely old clunky UI's and unvoiced NPCs.  I don't think there should be anymore 2D/2.5D RPGs in the 21st century.
    post edited by boredgunner - 2014/12/17 16:52:18

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile