How much is too hot for a GTX980?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
flexy123
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 123
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: How much is too hot for a GTX980? 2015/04/02 08:56:23 (permalink)
If it's the case that increasing the fan speed helps w/ crashes ALTHOUGH THE GPU TEMPS ARE FINE:

It is likely that your VRMs (voltage regulators) on the card get too hot and causing the problem - higher fan speed would also cool the VRMs, thus increasing stability. Older EVGA cards are known that their electronic components on the board get hot, this is why they re-designed them and now have the SSC and FTW+ versions. If you're lucky (and if you have indeed a problem with your card), RMA and they might send you one of the newer models.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49170
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: How much is too hot for a GTX980? 2015/04/02 09:47:39 (permalink)
I doubt his VRM is getting too hot as the mosfets are covered by a thermal plate which helps dissipate heat. The card most likely isn't getting enough power when running DCS. If the OP was to run DCS with auto fans but with increased voltage I bet the problem would be gone without having to increase the fan speed at all.
jrarentz
  • Total Posts : 87
Re: How much is too hot for a GTX980? 2015/04/02 11:02:32 (permalink)
Sajin
I doubt his VRM is getting too hot as the mosfets are covered by a thermal plate which helps dissipate heat. The card most likely isn't getting enough power when running DCS. If the OP was to run DCS with auto fans but with increased voltage I bet the problem would be gone without having to increase the fan speed at all.

My PSU is 850W. Specs are posted earlier in this thread. Is there a way to increase the voltage in the settings?
bsmegreg
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1604
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: How much is too hot for a GTX980? 2015/04/02 11:10:49 (permalink)
The card is designed to run at 60-80C under load to reduce fan noise amount other things. When you change this you are not helping anything. Just let the card cool itself, if a game is crashing it doesn't mean it has to do with your temps.

Besides, who told you the crash was GPU related? A friend that doesn't know exactly what he's talking about?

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49170
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: How much is too hot for a GTX980? 2015/04/02 11:21:37 (permalink)
jrarentz
Sajin

My PSU is 850W. Specs are posted earlier in this thread. Is there a way to increase the voltage in the settings?

You have to use EVGA Precision/MSI Afterburner to increase the voltage. I use afterburner so I'll tell you how to increase the voltage using afterburner...

#1 Open msi afterburner.
#2 Select settings, under compatibility properties check mark unlock voltage control with standard msi, press ok to exit msi afterburner properties and reboot afterburner.
#3 Drag the core voltage (mv) slider all the way to max. NOTE: You may not need to add the max voltage to make DCS stable so you can experiment with this setting.
#4 Click apply to apply the changes you made.
#5 Leave afterburner open while you go test DCS.
jrarentz
  • Total Posts : 87
Re: How much is too hot for a GTX980? 2015/04/02 11:26:27 (permalink)
bsmegreg
The card is designed to run at 60-80C under load to reduce fan noise amount other things. When you change this you are not helping anything. Just let the card cool itself, if a game is crashing it doesn't mean it has to do with your temps.

Besides, who told you the crash was GPU related? A friend that doesn't know exactly what he's talking about?

I sent the crash log from the game to someone with knowledge of it. He said it was GPU related and to check my temps. Indeed turning the fans up (or running them at all) solved the problem. Actually this same scenario repeated itself twice, first with the 780Ti and now with the 980s. Same solution both times, just enable auto fan control in Precision X. Hot card= game crashes. Cool card= game runs fine.
The fan speed based on that curve in PX which is the default "Agressive" except I set it to zero at 20C is about 50% when I'm running in the 40C range which considering all the other case fans I have doesn't make any extra noticeable noise. My case fans actually make less noise when they're running full speed rather than slower so I have them set that way. Even setting the fans to 30% will keep the card below 60C
bsmegreg
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1604
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: How much is too hot for a GTX980? 2015/04/02 19:11:05 (permalink)
It's not the GPU temp, it's clearly something else that goes away when you increase the fan.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile