EVGA

Hilarious GTX 760 ACX temps

Author
se7enupmustang
  • Total Posts : 42
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/12/25 02:26:56 (permalink)
I sent in a support ticket asking for an opinion on this but I didn't really get a satisfactory answer so I thought I would post it here, prepare for a copy pasta!

First off I'll start by saying that this GPU that I'm having problems with is one that I was sent as a replacement card. 

This GPU runs hilariously hot, even as the bottom card in my SLI configuration with solid airflow this card almost immediately hits temps of 95c or more when hit with any amount of load. I have reapplied thermal paste(Noctua NT-H1) 6 times with no change in these temps. There is obviously something going on when the top card in my system is the cooler one rather than the bottom one(single slot spacing). The card is clean the fans are working I'm even running the aggressive fan curve and even with the fans on the card running at full speed the GPU is hitting 95c or more. It's also kicking out so much heat that it's heating up the rest of my system by an abnormal amount. These temps are not what I was experiencing before one of my 760's was replaced with this card, prior to that my cards would run anywhere between 70-80c even while overclocked and with the fans set to a maximum of 60%. I cannot keep this card cool and options like the Raijintech Morpheus and the Kraken G10 are not viable or desirable. A friend of mine said this sounds like a voltage leak but I'm no expert on the inner working of hardware so I'm not entirely sure if that's the case or not.

Regardless the card runs at ridiculous temperatures causing the fans to run at maximum speed which makes them quite loud. I was wondering if I could get an opinion from an EVGA tech on what is causing my card to behave in this manner. I attached a screenshot of GPU-Z after a recent gaming session, my ambient temperature was 18c during this session and I was forced to quit due to the second card causing frame drops due to overheating.

Attached Image(s)

Lian Li PC-T60b
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Intel i5-3570k @4.8Ghz
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz
x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB ACX
Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium
Corsair AX 750
120GB PNY Optima
2TB Seagate Barracuda

2 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49170
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Hilarious GTX 760 ACX temps 2014/12/25 08:36:28 (permalink)
    The cooler/pcb may be warped. I would try swapping the coolers around since you have two identical cards, this will let you know if the cooler/pcb is warped. If the cooler card heats up after switching the coolers then the cooler is the problem, if the overheating card stays the same the pcb is warped.
    se7enupmustang
    • Total Posts : 42
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Hilarious GTX 760 ACX temps 2014/12/25 17:37:55 (permalink)
    Sajin
    The cooler/pcb may be warped. I would try swapping the coolers around since you have two identical cards, this will let you know if the cooler/pcb is warped. If the cooler card heats up after switching the coolers then the cooler is the problem, if the overheating card stays the same the pcb is warped.

part of my RMA fiasco was getting another card and putting the cooler from it onto this hot running card, the cooler switch was due to fan noise on the card but the temps were identical with both coolers and the same kind of TIM.

Lian Li PC-T60b
    Asus Sabertooth Z77
    Intel i5-3570k @4.8Ghz
    16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz
    x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB ACX
    Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium
    Corsair AX 750
    120GB PNY Optima
    2TB Seagate Barracuda
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile