Author
samnew2288
  • Total Posts : 84
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/09/27 21:10:18 (permalink)
I was told to post here by EVGA.
Hope I'm in the right place.

Could someone who also has a 6286-KR possibly tell me how to benchmark my card and I will paste results here to compare to other 6286-KRs or.. please tell me how it works.. thank you 

21 Replies Related Threads

MikeBGeyer
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 343
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Hi, need help with GPU temperature. 2016/09/27 22:19:23 (permalink)
    sethleigh
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 796
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Hi, need help with GPU temperature. 2016/09/28 05:10:12 (permalink)
    Heaven benchmark.
    3DMark benchmarks.
    EVGA Precision X OC (assuming you have a Pascal-based card)

Start up Precision X OC. Turn on the OSD. Set it to show gpu temperature. Run the benchmarks. There ya go.

Happy EVGA customer.  Affiliate Code: 0Y7-1VU-ATW2

GigaByte X570 Aorus Master, AMD Ryzen 5900x under Optimus Foundation block, 32gb G.Skill DDR4 @ 3800 MHz 14-14-14-28, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra under Optimus block, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, EVGA Supernova G6 850W PS, ASUS 34" 3440x1440p 120Hz ultrawide, Lenovo 24" 1080p secondary monitor, Win 10

JosephL
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 662
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Hi, need help with GPU temperature. 2016/09/28 06:56:51 (permalink)
    Hello samnew2288 and welcome to the Forums!

I would suggest running the demo version of 3DMark's Firestrike benchmark and posting the link to the URL it creates of your score after clicking the Compare Results Online button. You can find the download here: https://www.futuremark.com/support/downloads or on Steam.

While you are benchmarking you can run Precision XOC as recommended above or GPUz which will plot out some graphs that can be helpful. Looking forward to your results!

If you have a moment, please rate my service. We appreciate the feedback!
    samnew2288
    Re: Hi, need help with GPU temperature. 2016/09/28 12:10:08 (permalink)
    Guys, thank you very much for the information.

But let me be a little more clear. sorry.
    If I get numbers, I have no reference for them or any idea what they mean.
    I'd have to learn upon learn upon learn about the technicalities of this and other graphics cards, and
    I just want to be a consumer.  I just simply want to know if my GPU is running within range.
    The very last response was what I was looking for actually, I am going to do just that. 
    I will run the firestrike benchmark...
    But, see.  What if I'm running 1360x768 and 60hz and then someone else is running 4k and 120hz or whatever and we both get the same temperature scores.  Wouldn't that mean mine is running way too hot?  That's why I don't understand all this.
    I'm sorry for any inconvenience, but.. i really just don't know how to go about doing this.
    I'm going to run Firestrike demo then post my results here, right?
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Hi, need help with GPU temperature. 2016/09/28 12:34:58 (permalink)
    Welcome to the Forums, samnew2288

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0   08G-P4-6286-KR ?

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-6286-KR

The answer to your question above: yes, list the URL where your results can be viewed. 

Being a new member you can't link yet; just type the address

Your benchmark score will give details of your PC and how the benchmark was setup.

Elevated Temps for the GPU can cause the performance to slow down as the GPU tries to compensate.

Temps of your PC system depend on many things, so give details of your build, Mfg and model number when known

MB & BIOS version
    CPU, how cooled
    RAM
    GPU
    PSU
    Case & fans, number, size, speed, blow in or out

post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/09/28 12:41:38

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

samnew2288
    Re: Hi, need help with GPU temperature. 2016/09/28 12:39:03 (permalink)
    Thank you so much!
    Hm, I feel quite comfortable here.
    I keep expecting negative response like the rest of the internet, but thank you!
    Ok, I am still downloading Firestrike but will post results AND total PC info in one post.  THANKS AGAIN
    samnew2288
    Re: Hi, need help with GPU temperature. 2016/09/28 13:46:51 (permalink)
    It will not let me click compare results online, because it says I'm logged into built-in administrator account? 

But there's my scores for firestrike.  The temps reached about 80c (most of the time) while running these tests.
    My desktop resolution is 1360x768.  Demo audio was on, and in the output resolution in the Options settings on benchmark I have it set at 1920X1080 (1080p)   However, neither of the benchmarks... the time one or the firestrike one looked like they were running in 1920X1080 or 1080p at all.  They looked like they were running at 1360x768.

I have all Vsync off, all frame limiters off, monitor is running at 60hz (dont know how to tell what my GPU is running at, or if that's a thing)
    Here's my system:
    i5 6400 CPU
    16gb Hyper X savage ram (clocked at 3000mhz in bios)
    250 gig SSD BX200 by Crucial
    Gigabyte Gaming 7 (1151 socket) motherboard
    EVGA power supply 700 watts
    EVGA 6286-KR GTX 1080

EDIT:  OK IMAGE DID NOT WORK.  HERE ARE ALL SCORES AND STATS I COULD FIND:

OVERALL SCORE: 14 192  FOR FIRESTRIKE V1.1

GRAPHICS SCORE: 23183
    GRAPHICS TEST 1:  110.91 FPS
    GRAPHICS TEST 2: 92.37 FPS

PHYSICS SCORE: 6624
    PHYSICS TEST: 21.03 FPS

COMBINED SCORE:  6467
    COMBINED TEST:  30.08 FPS

Now, pretty much during the whole benchmark it was running 75-80 degrees celsius
    I did not adjust any settings to the benchmark except output resolution, and even then it still appeared to be 1368x720

post edited by samnew2288 - 2016/09/28 13:55:12
    ksgnow2010
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 466
    Re: Hi, need help with GPU temperature. 2016/09/28 14:20:44 (permalink)
    With the default fan curve, and so-so case ventilation, those temperatures seem right.

What was the ambient temperature in the room during the test?  This is important as the GPU temperature (and CPU temperature) will increase and decrease with ambient temperature...

If you have not already, set a more aggressive fan curve.  The ACX 3.0 cooler is very quiet compared to earlier versions and the "blower" style cooler.

I have the same card (EVGA 1080 FTW) in a second system, and my card hits low 60s C at full load with an ambient of 28 C.  However, I have the fans set to an aggressive curve (70% at temp greater than 60 C...80% at temp greater than 70 C, 90% at temp greater than 80 C, and 100% at temp greater than 85 C), and also have good airflow in my case.

Try a more aggressive fan curve.

Also, post pictures of the inside of your case so that we can take a look at it and see if we can recommend any airflow changes!
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Hi, need help with GPU temperature. 2016/09/28 14:25:58 (permalink)
    Not bad numbers at all.

Precision X OC will allow you to run a custom fan curve and probably lower the temp on the GPU, will also report GPU Clock

The second BIOS on your GPU will run a fan all the time and be more aggressive on GPU settings, power OFF, slide the BIOS switch on GPU

Stock fan does not run until the GPU get around 60 C or so and the fan is behind the heat curve: factory preference for quiet over cool.

The 10 series perform best if you can keep them closer to 60 C or cooler, they will step down GPU Clocks as they heat

What Case and fans are you using ? 

Room Temp ?

post edited by Cool GTX - 2016/09/28 14:28:12

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

samnew2288
    Re: Hi, need help with GPU temperature. 2016/09/28 15:13:33 (permalink)
    Hi, I cannot allow a fan curve of any nature on my GPU because then it will start spiking up in temperature drastically.

the ambient room temperature is: 21.11....C  (70 degrees farenheit)

Are you saying the GPU has more than one set of fans...?   Because my fan runs 100% all the time to keep it around a 45c idle temperature.  So, switching the fan on all the time won't do anything unless there are more fans I'm unaware of...?  Hm, interesting.  PLease let me know.

I have a mix of positive/negative pressure case with 7 fans total inside the case. 

I run my monitor at 1368x720 (or whatever it is..) and 60hz, and I'm not overclocking at all.
    The previous card (same model, before RMA) ran 1920x1080 resolution in windows, with KR enabled
    and sat at no higher than 38 degrees celsius idle, and actually, I used a fan curve with that one.
    This one, no KR, lower resolution, IDLE.. sits at around 45 (with fan 100%)

I preferred my old card in many ways, and almost kept it, and they said I could.

But, it had too much screen flickering and artifacts in games and demos.
    It would screen flicker off and on all day long.
    samnew2288
    Re: Hi, need help with GPU temperature. 2016/09/28 15:15:21 (permalink)
    It also does something no card I've ever had has done before.  It's actually eminating heat which I can feel.  all the way from the floor to the right of me.  It creates like a sphere of heat around the computer (when under load)

Edit:  The performance of the card is fine, I suppose.  However, with (or without) KR enabled for some reason this card will not hit the same FPS in the GTAV benchmark.   Well, it hits pretty close, but.. then.. during the Vinewood sign test it drops below 28FPS.. which,t he other one didn't drop below 55fps.  and that was with KR.

That's the only performance difference I've noticed *so far*... as, I'm using mostly entirely different testing programs with this one than the last one.
    Oh, yea.. also I was getting less FPS in Unreal Elemental demo.   Sometimes it really skids the bottom, like when "the demon" dude stands up for the first time.  actual stuttering, when before with the old card, nothing stuttered or came even close.

edit:  Sorry, and I tested the other card on GTA V before I even learned how to do KR.  So, neither had KR.
    post edited by samnew2288 - 2016/09/28 15:21:40
    sethleigh
    SSC Member
    Re: Hi, need help with GPU temperature. 2016/09/28 15:28:58 (permalink)
    Have you ever touched a 100watt incandescent lightbulb? It's hot. Now imagine 2 or 3 (or 5) of these in one spot. That's how much heat the computer is generating. If it's under load you may well feel that in the air around the computer.

Is your monitor capable of running at higher than 1368x720 or whatever it's set at? I ask because the Geforce 1080 is considered overkill for a 1920x1080 monitor, and with 1368x720 that would be elevated to completely and totally absurd overkill. At that resolution you will certainly peg any game every produced at your 60hz framerate with the gpu running at way less than 100%.

If your monitor is capable of higher than 1368x720 you should consider changing it to a higher resolution. You're wasting your gpu potential right now.

From what you've posted so far it doesn't look like you're seeing anything abnormal. If you want the gpu temperature down a little more do as others have suggested and create a custom fan curve that raises the fan RPM at a lower temperature than the default curve.

GigaByte X570 Aorus Master, AMD Ryzen 5900x under Optimus Foundation block, 32gb G.Skill DDR4 @ 3800 MHz 14-14-14-28, EVGA 3080ti FTW3 Ultra under Optimus block, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, EVGA Supernova G6 850W PS, ASUS 34" 3440x1440p 120Hz ultrawide, Lenovo 24" 1080p secondary monitor, Win 10

samnew2288
    Re: Hi, need help with GPU temperature. 2016/09/28 16:48:12 (permalink)
    sethleigh:  See, that's what worries me.  Is that I can't create a fan curve at all with this card, or it will start seeping up towards the 50s.  I have to run this thing 100% fan speed all the time to keep it 45 degrees idle in a 70 degrees farenheit room (sorry for using both farenheith and celsius, but i'm in the US.)

Yes, very interesting.  Now, I'm not as inclined as most of you probably are, but... to people not on the EVGA forum (in real life or non-tech forums mostly), they'd think I was a highly technical nerd.  But, to you guys I'm a newb.
    But, even being a newb here I still understand (and have owned graphics cards and computer equipment since I was a child, I'm 30 now.) when something is not working properly.  Not only that, but.. this might not get much credit lol.. but.. I just have developed a feeling for these sort of things.  Like a mental pairing between me and my PC equipment :)  LOL, ok.  I understand no credit towards this issue should go there, but.. I donno.. just thought I'd say that.
    If I were to estimate the functionality of this card and the previous one and compare it with what others are doing.  I'd say my last card was 70% functional as it should be and the new one I got I'd say about 75% dropping down to maybe 60% or so in terms of FPS achieval.
    i have before been among the masses when a product comes out, and i'll jump on the bandwagon saying how great it is just like everyone else.  And, through this I've proven to myself that I do not have unrealistically high expectations, I really don't.  But, this time, the reviews (technical numbers and everything) and enthusiasm are not matching the specific cards I have received.  I feel like hte 6286-KR is an amazing piece of equipment, but I have received a couple of factory duds (or possibly through shipping, as the newest one had an extreme indentation on the foam inside closest to the card, the foam was actually indented permanetnly and severely by the shape of the actual card itself)  And that makes me wonder about the whole shipping process.

No, I do play games at 1920x1080, my desktop just sits at the 1378x760 or whatever.  I have a 32 inch TV as a monitor, which speaking of overkill... is overkill for a monitor! LOL.  Well, it is to anyone who back in the day used to use old CRT monitors.

On a side note... This is not related to the actual functionality of my specific card, but possibly the 6286-KR and other high powered cards in general, this is a total noob question, but:

Why, does my GTX 750 Ti when in windows idle run much cooler than the 6286-KR?
    Also, it runs cooler when even playing the same games under a higher load.

I mean, proportionatly speaking, and regardless of cooling (as they both use stock cooling).. shouldn't the 750 ti be outputting (proportionatlly) more .. even when Idle.. power and heat...?  Since, what it takes to power windows alone graphically is proportionatly(ah I do not know how to spell that word) much lower compared to the 6286-KR?

Err.. If I didn't explain that well, here's an example:

GTX 750 Ti =  Idle in windows running about 32+ degrees celsius from BOOTUP, not from cool down from a game.
    6286-KR = Idle in windows running about 43-45 from BOOTUP, not from cool down from a game.

I mean, I'd think the windows graphical rendering job is the same per card.
    So why is the 6286-KR using much more heat and possibly power to simply just run windows?

I understand this is a total noob question, but I've tried to find the answer online and there's not a lot that I can find.
    (the answer is probably something like.. "Well, since the 6286-KR is so powerful.. it has to have a higher idle temp, etc.."  Which totall makes sense, but I'm asking because I do not know the answer why.)

I would expect the 6286-KR to throttle itself to cover legacy situations, but is that wrong to expect?

I just need a little explanation here about that guys if you could.  I learn pretty quick once explained correctly

Edit:  Also, to add.  The GTX 750 ti I have DOES have a fan curve set, while the 6286-KR is at 100% all the time.
    The GTX 750 ti also sits in a much smaller, hotter room.  
    The case that the GTX 750 ti is in also does not have as many fans or as good as a cooling situation (less money went into it.)
    post edited by samnew2288 - 2016/09/28 16:54:25
    samnew2288
    Re: Hi, need help with GPU temperature. 2016/09/28 16:52:18 (permalink)
    I can tell that through the parts of each card i've received so far that function properly that the 6286-KR is AWESOME, and that I just have not received even a B-rated version of it yet, though. (the cards I have I'd both rate Cs and even Ds in certain situations compared to other 6286-KRs, as stated above)

Honestly, I'd be happy with an 85%+ functionality one.

To add:  I've been doing a lot of research, because I don't want to waste EVGAs time or money with these RMAs, but
    here's my results so far:
    People with this same model card, running it at KR and overclocking it with much higher refresh rate and sometimes even higher resolution than 1920X1080 are experiencing lower idle temperatures than my card WITH fan curves.  My card is a little more than slightly higher than theirs at idle.  Some of these people even have their ambient temperature over 80 degrees (farenheit) in their house.

Mine has more than slightly higher idle temperatures when:
    -my apt is at a constant 70 degrees (farenheit.. I know.. very cold, but it comes from working in a hospital.  I like it very cool.)
    - my desktop resolution is much lower than theirs (1368x720)
    - my fan is at 100%
    - I am not overclocking
    - My refresh rate never goes above 60hz (as I can't even visually see past a 60hz refresh rate like you graphics monsters LOL)
    - and even more points which I can't remember at the moment.

- Now, I'm no longer including this one... since most of the results aside from that one guy seem to be the same, but.. One guy could get it 35 degrees idle in windows without any fan, but.. I've received more responses than that which suggest that is not a typical scenario.   And... I could ahve sworn... but i can't remember... but I could have sworn on my other card.. that I didn't even start turning the fan up very high for a while, and I think the temps stayed relatively low. 

Plus, I never saw my previous 6286-KR (Before the RMA) ever hit 80+ degrees celsius, and this one seems to frequent that.  ALSO to add... my previous EVGA card that I owned for just about 10 years now never even got near 80 degrees celsius until about after 7 years of use.. then it started going in the 70s range.. and sometimes 80.
    But, I understand cards are way different.. so.. just throwing that in there.

post edited by samnew2288 - 2016/09/28 17:04:16
    samnew2288
    Re: Hi, need help with GPU temperature. 2016/09/28 17:16:24 (permalink)
    I agree they do sound pretty close to normal in situations where people are doing things WAY different than I'm doing.  As it seems a trend to get the most out of the card right when you get it.
    Thing is, it's even HIGHER (not by a whooolle lot I'll admit) than those.

I am just trying to make sure it is stable at the (mostly) lowest, non-overclocked settings.
    The way my previous one performed in many situations, I won't have to do much to this (overclocking and such) to get what I want out of games for years to come.

I probably won't even turn KR on for about three years, my estimate.
    ipkha
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2308
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Hi, need help with GPU temperature. 2016/09/28 17:31:00 (permalink)
    If your getting a hot bubble if air around your computer, you need more fans or move your existing fans for better airflow. You can't really compare anotes 80 class GPU to a 50 class GPU. Their respective power draws at load are dramatically different. You need solid intake and outtake air flow to move the heat out of the computer case and distributed into the room. Poor airflow in the house will also impact cooling performance. The heat generated from the graphics card can easily heat a small room.

samnew2288
    Re: Hi, need help with GPU temperature. 2016/09/28 17:34:57 (permalink)
    thanks ipkha.

I have a very fast ceiling fan thats on 24/7, my room door tends to stay open to the rest of the house, and also I park my PC only inches (edit: sorry, not inches... feet) away from my AC intake into the room, which blasts air constantly to keep the whole house 70(farenheit)
    I also have a fan positioned in the back of my monitor, towards PC.
    I have to wear flannel and other overwear to keep from getting too cold myself, but, I like it that way.
    ipkha
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2308
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Hi, need help with GPU temperature. 2016/09/28 17:41:49 (permalink)
    You need to be more specific about your fan and case layout. Your temps are in line with the basic fan profile. If you are seeing throttling of the GPU frequency below 1721mhz you need to look at your airflow. I would suggest having the fan blow away from the pc. Does your case have a dust filter? Do you clean it regularly? How many front intake fans and how many rear exhaust fans? What CPU cooler do you have?

samnew2288
    Re: Hi, need help with GPU temperature. 2016/09/28 18:26:53 (permalink)
    I have two relatively powerful front case fans and one VERY speedy exhaust fan.  When I've touched it a couple times it nearly cut me open.  My actual CPU fan has actually cut me before (blood and everything), a couple of times.

Then I have side fans.  I've been cooling off PCs for a long time.  My methods aren't perfect, but they've always worked better than one would expect with my limited knowledge.

I have established through lots of research today and yesterday that my card is running not only too hot, but way too hot.
    Came to this conclusion with a phone tech and from this forum and another forum and lots of research on the 6286-KR in the last couple of days.
    Whenever there has been an issue like this, the consumer typically RMA'd.

It shouldn't be running well over typical idle temperatures with far less settings.
    I wouldn't call it a totally severe heat issue, becasue there are cards which were manufactured that got it way worse.
    But, it does have what I would still call a "moderately" severe overheating issue.

A lot of my reference comes from the previous RMA that I am shipping back tomorrow.
    In other words, I just had the same model card (one that had other defects... lots of screen flickering, graphical artifacts in lots of things) which ran quite a bit cooler than this one, and that one was KR'd WITH a fan curve... which I haven't even done once on this one yet.

Room fan does not point directly at PC (as i've noticed that blasting PCs with air in the past don't decrease but increase case temperatures... which you have just reaffirmed after a long time believing that.  Thank you.)

That fan is to cool me, so it points half at the back of my monitor and half at the PC

Edit:  Another way I would express this card as is "Quite concernably hot"  as opposed to "Dangerously hot"... it's not dangerously hot, no.  But it's well over heating enough for me to be very hesitant about looking forward to years of use with it.
    I would predict that it would start to have issues within a couple of years.

This card and its temperatures... it... just acts strangely... too... it has a high cool down time as well... and rockets right over 65 with no fan on and just idle...  After some intensive game playing it will sit above 50c for a long time upon cooling off and going back to windows.  Like it's struggling to cool off.

Well, I'll stop wasting everyone's time with this.  I think I have determined what's going on with this card.
    Thanks, everyone.
    post edited by samnew2288 - 2016/09/28 18:44:59
    samnew2288
    Re: Hi, need help with GPU temperature. 2016/09/28 18:30:28 (permalink)
    Upon really analzying this foam it was shipped in... This thing must have gotten knocked around quite a bit.
    I knew it was that darn shipping.   Something is just not sitting right with me truck shipping this dense of technology across several states (California to Kansas)
    if I do get another chance at RMA.. i'm not going to choose that type of shipping, i'm gonna choose really fast shipping which I hope is air shipping (I understand very little about shipping as well.. )

Edit:  I can upload a picture of the foam if you want, it's pretty bad.
    sethleigh
    SSC Member
    Re: Hi, need help with GPU temperature. 2016/09/30 13:50:16 (permalink)
    You could try removing the cooler, reapplying the thermal interface material between the heatsink and the gpu die, and reseating. That sometimes does it for some people.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile