EVGA

Happy GTX 650ti user has some questions

Author
setishock
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/09/11 02:26:15 (permalink)
I had to tear down my computer after leaving it running for 8 months unattended. It was supposed to be a 2 week gig but ran long. When I got back the maintenance man had remove my AC and the apartment was a mold and mildew wreck. The inside of the case was almost bad enough to be declared a Hazmat level 5 environment. Not kidding. It was awful. Ok I'll cut to the chase.

I removed the fan and shroud to clean out the inside of the card. I did not un-mount the heat sink from the GPU. This is when I noticed the 4 grabber like screw holes around the outside of the heat sink.
Seeing as the fan mounts oddly to the shroud and the shroud hold downs create enough blockage to impede a lot of the air flow, I got curious about replacing the fans with my own mounting design.
In the picture you see the holes I need the spacing information for. I want to screw in brass stand offs like behind the mother board, then screw in nylon stand offs in to them. The brass stand offs would be in the air flow and kept relatively cool so the nylon would not melt. The nylon would serve as dampers to keep the vibrations from the fan getting passed on to the heat sink and PCB.

I need to know the spacing of the holes marked in red and what screw will fit in those.
I also need the spacing of the ones in white and what screw size they are tapped out for.

There isn't enough room between the card and the USB 3.0 plug under it for an after market cooler. It's about 4 inches and it would cover up some of the slots on the mother board.
So I'm going to roll my own solution. I want it quieter at medium and high loads. That OEM fan noise is unacceptable.

A degree says you have the knowledge. Experience says you know how to use it.

2 Replies Related Threads

setishock
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Happy GTX 650ti user has some questions 2015/09/15 07:20:22 (permalink)
    Wow! So I take it nobody knows or no EVGA techs roam the forum. Admin please cancel my account. Such helpful people here.

A degree says you have the knowledge. Experience says you know how to use it.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Happy GTX 650ti user has some questions 2015/09/15 10:10:49 (permalink)
    Call evga tech support and ask them... https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile