I play the swtor mmo , every few days I get a grey screen and the game crashes

Windows. 8.1 64
Evga stinger z97
Evga 980 sc
16 gigs ram
Evo 840 ssd
All stock speeds

All latest drivers and bios

I noticed the grey screens happened more when Evga precision was on....

I know the swtor mmo is buggy but my 780ti , 4670k computer never had any issue

I

50 Replies Related Threads

ErinW
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 1149
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/03/15 03:00:18 (permalink)
    Try running DDU, and then re-install your drivers. If you're still getting crashing, test with another game or 3D benchmark like 3DMark or Unigine Heaven/Valley.

Some users have reported that bumping the power target or voltage up slightly can reduce the TDR errors with this game. For others, a slight underclock of 75 to 100MHz helps.

matthmaroo
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 184
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/03/15 13:05:01 (permalink)
    Yeah I have done a complete reinstall of drivers .... Reduced issue but it continued with DDU In safe mode

The grey screen only happens in swtor.... Valley and fire strike extreme do not reproduce the error
    Nor does any other game I play

So why would bumping the power target or stock settings effect it... It's a super locked card .... Is it just unstable with SWTOR

Also if under clocking the card is the fix ........is a driver or bios fix being looked into?

Also this is the second gtx 980 with the same issue in swtor I have had

I also have a 750ti , the grey screen never happens
    post edited by matthmaroo - 2015/03/15 13:12:46
    Xaolin99
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/03/16 13:53:33 (permalink)
    Hey man just wanted to inform you that I have/had the same problem on a 980 SC with windows 8.1 and an intel 4670k. I'd get grey screens when playing games like LoL and Marvel Heroes. I even RMA'd my card because I thought it was an issue with the cards (which still might be I'm not sure). What I did to fix it was to use DDU to uninstall the latest drivers because they are the issue! You need to install an older set of drivers. The one installed was 345.20. I didn't test another one before 347.52, I just jumped back to the ones I felt comfortable with in the past. 

It's definitely not your computer or your psu! EVGA needs to either get together with Nvidia to fix this issue with the latest drivers or push out a bios update. And it's not isolated to the SC edition either, there's posts on these forums from a person getting grey screens with a Classified.
    matthmaroo
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 184
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/03/16 15:50:06 (permalink)
    Ty for your help..... Yeah a lot of folks are having issues ... A quick google of grey screen gtx 980 will prove that

But thank you , I will give them a try

I just hope that Evga or Nvidia acknowledge the issue so it can be fixed

I know mistakes happen ..... Nobody's perfect
    Xaolin99
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/03/17 13:43:18 (permalink)
    Doing an update: I installed drivers 347.25 which are one driver behind 347.52. Been playing for about 6-8 hours now and they're perfect. No issues whatsoever, far better performance than the 345.20 drivers! I haven't tried installing the new 347.88 drivers that released today but when I do I'll give another update
    deuce985
    • Total Posts : 65
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/03/17 21:10:34 (permalink)
    Xaolin99
    Doing an update: I installed drivers 347.25 which are one driver behind 347.52. Been playing for about 6-8 hours now and they're perfect. No issues whatsoever, far better performance than the 345.20 drivers! I haven't tried installing the new 347.88 drivers that released today but when I do I'll give another update

Please do report back. I have the exact same problem on an EVGA ACX 2.0 980. I started playing it about a month ago and would get these solid color screens causing my drivers to crash. I would sometimes need to reboot my PC. It's the ONLY game that does it and I did benchmarks/memory tests. Everything is okay. Play games much more graphically intense and no problems there either.

I reverted back to older drivers and it still didn't fix the issue for me but I didn't use the cleaner thing suggested above. I actually manually remove all registries myself. I don't trust third-party software to sweep my system clean of drivers, sorry.

Anyways, let me know if the new Nvidia driver fixes the issue. The only thing I haven't tried for a fix is underclocking my GPU which is a last resort. I haven't tried the 347.25 drivers yet either. I did try the ones from several months ago because the SWTOR forums recommended it. Was the one on November 18th didn't fix my problem. If you do a Google search you'll see this is quite a common problem and they all seem to be on EVGA cards. What's up with that EVGA?

Windows 8.1
    16GB RAM
    i7 4790k
    ASUS Z97 Mark 2 Sabertooth
    EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980
    MX100 SSD
    post edited by deuce985 - 2015/03/17 21:17:03
    Xaolin99
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/03/18 10:28:30 (permalink)
    deuce985
    Xaolin99

Please do report back. I have the exact same problem on an EVGA ACX 2.0 980. I started playing it about a month ago and would get these solid color screens causing my drivers to crash. I would sometimes need to reboot my PC. It's the ONLY game that does it and I did benchmarks/memory tests. Everything is okay. Play games much more graphically intense and no problems there either.

I reverted back to older drivers and it still didn't fix the issue for me but I didn't use the cleaner thing suggested above. I actually manually remove all registries myself. I don't trust third-party software to sweep my system clean of drivers, sorry.

Anyways, let me know if the new Nvidia driver fixes the issue. The only thing I haven't tried for a fix is underclocking my GPU which is a last resort. I haven't tried the 347.25 drivers yet either. I did try the ones from several months ago because the SWTOR forums recommended it. Was the one on November 18th didn't fix my problem. If you do a Google search you'll see this is quite a common problem and they all seem to be on EVGA cards. What's up with that EVGA?

Windows 8.1
    16GB RAM
    i7 4790k
    EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980
    MX100 SSD

Ok so as a followup, I have installed the new 347.88 drivers and have been playing for 3 hours now with no issues. Usually when I got the grey screen it was about from the time I started a game to 1 hour of play time. Nothing is happening and performance is as good as can be. Obviously 3 hours isn't nearly good enough to claim the drivers are good so I'll report back at night about 10 hours from now
    deuce985
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/03/18 10:58:17 (permalink)
    Xaolin99
    deuce985
    Xaolin99

Windows 8.1
    16GB RAM
    i7 4790k
    EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980
    MX100 SSD

Ok so as a followup, I have installed the new 347.88 drivers and have been playing for 3 hours now with no issues. Usually when I got the grey screen it was about from the time I started a game to 1 hour of play time. Nothing is happening and performance is as good as can be. Obviously 3 hours isn't nearly good enough to claim the drivers are good so I'll report back at night about 10 hours from now

Thanks for responding. I just installed them myself and tried that DDU program above that was recommended. Cleaned my drivers completely off the system because I checked the registry to make sure. Good program. Anyways, I installed them and I'll play in a bit. If this doesn't fix my issue then I'm afraid my only option will be to either underclock the GPU or quit the game. I really don't want to quit. I've seen it be very deceptive before in that I installed a new driver and then 2 days later I get a crash. It seems I get crashes most specifically in very high population areas like OPs. That's where it seems to crash the most.

lrjfamily
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 290
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/03/18 15:46:02 (permalink)
    I've not installed the new drivers as they don't say anything about having dealt with such an issue.  My issue is in Elite Dangerous and is described in this thread: http://forums.evga.com/GTX-980-SC-ACX-20-WhiteBlack-Screen-With-Sound-in-Elite-Dangerous-m2309128.aspx

Does this sound similar?  I'm going through all the old drivers one by one to see if I can find one that works for me.

Thanks.

Primary Gaming: 
    EVGA X58 SLI (132-BL-E758-A1)
    Core i7-920 OC'd @ 3.561Ghz
    24GB Triple-Channel RAM
    EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  

deuce985
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/03/18 15:52:48 (permalink)
    lrjfamily
    I've not installed the new drivers as they don't say anything about having dealt with such an issue.  My issue is in Elite Dangerous and is described in this thread: 

Does this sound similar?  I'm going through all the old drivers one by one to see if I can find one that works for me.

Thanks.

Yup. Sounds very similar to what we get in SWTOR. Sometimes my drivers will crash and recover. I can alt+tab out to close the program sometimes but sometimes I have to reboot although I can always get back to my desktop easily. IMO, it seems to be a problem between Nvidia and EVGA cards. If you Google you'll see it's a well documented issue since the 980s came out. I suppose it could possibly be my GPU going bad but the problem I have with that theory is no other game does it. Furthermore, I've run memory tests and such with no problems. The rig is only a few months old. It could also just be that both these games are horribly programmed. SWTOR definitely is. Not sure about that game. So, in reality, I don't know who to point the finger at. Most probably Bioware/EA because NVIDIA is good at staying on issues like this.

It could also be that despite SWTOR not being graphically intensive it could be exposing an issue hardware related that no other game can for whatever reason.
    lrjfamily
    iCX Member
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/03/18 16:02:35 (permalink)
    Well, Elite Dangerous (Frontier) developed their own engine so it's not unique to Bioware/EA as maligned as they normally are. :)

If you've read over my post I think you'll see if exhausted virtually any possibility it's anything other than the drivers working with the programming of the game.  I'll give the new driver a shot and keep an eye on this thread.  Thanks!

Primary Gaming: 
    24GB Triple-Channel RAM
    EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  

Xaolin99
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/03/18 21:42:04 (permalink)
    So as for the 10 hour playtime update I promised, after extended periods of playtime on the game Marvel Heroes I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary in game. My game did freeze twice however, which has happened before on all sorts of drivers and I'm not sure if it's the game or the cards. When the game froze it gave me a "driver has stopped working" error message which is the first time I've seen one after a freeze. Normally I'd be able to press ctrl+alt+del and escape to go back to a working game but this time it gave me the message and a longer pause to get the game to work again.

Another very strange thing to note that I've never seen happen before but occurs on these new drivers. When I quit out of a game completely and then use an already opened window of google chrome, it refreshes the screen. Highly strange and I'm completely considering going back to the 347.25 drivers as those were functioning without these strange issues. 

More importantly NO GREY SCREENS! Drivers 347.52 were definitely the problem and should be avoided for those with issues concerning grey screens. Idk about other colored screen issues but they may be due to an exterior problem outside of driver issues. That doesn't mean to say that drivers wouldn't be the cause but could be a contributing factor. 

My plea is that EVGA work out a BIOS solution so that new drivers don't cause more problems on EVGA hardware
    deuce985
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/03/19 08:13:10 (permalink)
    Xaolin99
    So as for the 10 hour playtime update I promised, after extended periods of playtime on the game Marvel Heroes I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary in game. My game did freeze twice however, which has happened before on all sorts of drivers and I'm not sure if it's the game or the cards. When the game froze it gave me a "driver has stopped working" error message which is the first time I've seen one after a freeze. Normally I'd be able to press ctrl+alt+del and escape to go back to a working game but this time it gave me the message and a longer pause to get the game to work again.

Another very strange thing to note that I've never seen happen before but occurs on these new drivers. When I quit out of a game completely and then use an already opened window of google chrome, it refreshes the screen. Highly strange and I'm completely considering going back to the 347.25 drivers as those were functioning without these strange issues. 

More importantly NO GREY SCREENS! Drivers 347.52 were definitely the problem and should be avoided for those with issues concerning grey screens. Idk about other colored screen issues but they may be due to an exterior problem outside of driver issues. That doesn't mean to say that drivers wouldn't be the cause but could be a contributing factor. 

My plea is that EVGA work out a BIOS solution so that new drivers don't cause more problems on EVGA hardware

I actually played SWTOR yesterday without any grey screens on the new driver too. I did get 1 freeze as you mentioned above but I think it was related to the game because that's the first time I saw it not crash my driver. Hopefully these drivers fully resolved the issue but we'll see...only way to know for sure is extended hours for several days.
    Xaolin99
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/03/19 11:25:07 (permalink)
    So I started up a game today and after 3 hours I got a RED SCREEN. Issue was definitely not fixed with this latest driver. I'm definitely going back to driver 347.25
    lrjfamily
    iCX Member
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/03/19 15:16:41 (permalink)
    New, 347.88 drivers do not fix (Elite Dangerous).  Now resorting to downclocking.  If anyone has a suggested utility/method that works and is straightforward, I'd like to hear about it.  Looked for it in Precision X briefly - hate that interface.  Used a somewhat recent copy of MSI Afterburner.  What's your best method?

Thanks.

Primary Gaming: 
    24GB Triple-Channel RAM
    EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  

Tivoko
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/03/20 13:17:56 (permalink)
    I've been getting the same error (full screen solid color causing driver to fail and crashing the game) with my 980 SC while playing ESO and frankly before this thread I was worried it was my card that was a problem. I'm both glad and a bit sad to see it's not just me. The only thing I was able to do that made the game stable for hours was to open PrecisionX and adjust the GPU CLOCK OFFSET by -51 MHz.

I've never owned an expensive card like this one before and I've never messed with overclocking or downclocking so truthfully I'm a bit afraid (don't want to mess up the card) but I recall reading this fix on another site and it's the only one that has worked for me thus far. I hope this issue gets resolved and doesn't go ignored.
    lrjfamily
    iCX Member
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/03/20 13:26:30 (permalink)
    The UI in Precision, if I may, really sucks.  Thanks for the GPU CLOCK OFFSET clue.  Now, how do I save it to a profile and how do I make a default profile and how do I launch Precision when I boot? 

I'm sure this will get sorted out.  They don't want us to all ship our cards back insisting on refunds/different products!

Primary Gaming: 
    24GB Triple-Channel RAM
    EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  

Xaolin99
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/03/20 18:26:44 (permalink)
    Updating since I received my card from my RMA: new card came in and now I can run my system back to it's original SLI configuration which was being hindered by a card that gave me constant grey screens. 

Results: I installed the new card in the top PCI-E slot and moved the other card down a slot. The new card is now running as the main card and I'm getting absolutely perfect results. As mentioned before, the card that was in there got me a red screen at one point which I never saw before and I'd get a weird issue with Google Chrome where when I quit out of a game and switched over to Chrome it would cause Chrome to refresh the monitor. NONE of those issues are occurring with the new card. Also I've been playing the whole day and night on the new Nvidia drivers.

So what can I conclude from this: The Nvidia drivers are not the direct cause of the grey screens. They might definitely be aggravating the situation but they aren't the cause. Both my cards are also running the same BIOS so that most likely isn't the issue as well. I believe certain cards have the unlucky fortune of being problematic. There may be nothing else that can be done aside from returning your card and hoping you get a good working one in return. I'd like for EVGA to address this issue because when I called them for the RMA it seemed like they had never heard of the issue before. Now here's a thread with many people experiencing the issue so I hope it doesn't go unnoticed or no response is given like how Nvidia handled their GTX 970 issue.
    deuce985
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/03/30 08:22:58 (permalink)
    Just wanted to update this thread for those having similar problems in Star Wars The Old Republic(SWTOR). The fix I've found for this game is as EVGA suggested in a post above...underclock your GPU. It's simple if you don't know how just download the EVGA Precision X software and click the GPU Offset Clock to -100mhz. Not a single crash since. You right click the bottom numbers to save profiles. If this is the only game crashing like it is for me then just make sure you go back to the default clock playing a different game. I think EVGA sent me a lemon because it's likely SWTOR was the only game exposing the unstable factory OC on my ACX 2.0. I'm debating whether to go through the RMA process but seeing as it doesn't do it any other game...it's just an inconvenience to RMA right now for me. It's hard to pinpoint if it's the game or EVGA but I'm leaning to the GPU because other people have the same GPU without problems in the game.

I've only done 1 Operation since downclocking but that's where my crashes happened the most. I'd crash 3-4 times in 30 minutes while just randomly doing FPs throughout the day I'd get 1-2 crashes. Not a single crash in the Operation I did, WZ or FPs all throughout the past week. My suggestion is RMA your card and see if you got a lemon. Downclocking a GPU that fixes all your crash issue in the games directly points to a bad GPU. Regardless, I can't run it at their advertised speeds so it should be RMA anyway.

I'm a little disappointed in EVGA. Their CS is still great and they have good RMA policies but it seems their quality control is going down a bit. It seems they got on top of the world in the PC community and now they're letting quality control suffer. My last GPU had problems with them and now this one. I have no doubt I'll be RMAing eventually because it's unstable at default OC settings. First the 970 issues, coil whine and now this. Seems to be a common problem on Google. EVGA might want to look into their quality control departments and see what's going wrong with their OC cards.

I do appreciate EVGA's post above as it helped me. Thanks and good luck to the rest of you.
    post edited by deuce985 - 2015/03/30 08:32:45
    Crimson AL
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 434
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/03/30 09:33:18 (permalink)
    I went back to 347.25 because I was having similar issues....no problems since.

Xaolin99
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/03/30 11:46:43 (permalink)
    Crimson AL
    I went back to 347.25 because I was having similar issues....no problems since.

Crimson were you experiencing grey screens? I also used 347.25 when my card had grey screens and it fixed it. My new card came in from the RMA 2 weeks ago and it fixed the issues on all the drivers so I'm confident it's an issue with the card itself
    lrjfamily
    iCX Member
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/04/06 11:02:15 (permalink)
    EVGA has authorized a second RMA for me for this same problem.  The conversation was basically, if I underclock it works while nothing else does.  Tech says that no BIOS or driver would fix the problem.  Starting the procedure now.

Primary Gaming: 
    24GB Triple-Channel RAM
    EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  

Vayne4800
    • Total Posts : 91
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/04/06 23:16:40 (permalink)
    Mine runs fine on default clocks. No issues (Except in Far Cry 4 with random freezes, but that could be the game). Any slight overclock and I grey screen/freeze on low utilization games. While I can loop heaven at +100/400. Something is fishy with these maxwells. Though the SC is already factory OCed and runs stuff great on default, so I shouldn't complain much.
    recongye
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/04/08 06:31:40 (permalink)
    Been having black-screen issues since getting a 980 SC.  I've done plenty of cleanup, updates, benchmarking, and troubleshooting with EVGA support without avail -- could probably try other fixes for extended periods of time -- but I'm still getting black screens and driver crashes, most notably with Far Cry 4 and Warframe (since they're mostly all I'm playing right now).  Getting an RMA so I'll post results when I have them.  I noticed a lack of success stories and real fixes with this issue.  I'm not exactly salty, but I spent far too much on this card to be underclocking it as a semi-permanent fix.  Maybe we can turn this into a "it's fixed and everybody's happy" thread, eh?  Fingers crossed.
    lrjfamily
    iCX Member
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/04/16 13:34:36 (permalink)
    Received the second RMA replacement GPU and the game's been playing flawlessly since.

Primary Gaming: 
    24GB Triple-Channel RAM
    EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  

recongye
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/05/01 16:22:04 (permalink)
    Got my card via RMA, and have had no problems since (Except with Endless Legend, but it doesn't like 980's at all for some reason).

Edit: Now I'm getting grey screens...I just *had* to post that everything was okay.  Thinking I should have bought a different card.
    post edited by recongye - 2015/05/02 09:04:12
    shingara
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/05/01 19:13:14 (permalink)
    i have a gtx 980 hybrid, im also getting this, the first time it happened, this screen simply died, but what was odd is that my second screen was still running fine. Now im getting either grey screens or pinkish red screens, but swtor is still running fin in the back ground. im on the latest drivers and due to the fact its only crashing one screen which the game is upon i dont think its a problem with the card but is in fact a driver issue.

So what eta do we have for this tobe fixed ?
    backdoc77
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/05/01 20:15:22 (permalink)
    RMA, the card is defective

Asus Z170-AR
    Intel i7 6700K  
    Corsair Vengeance 16gb 3200 mhz  (9 9 9 24)  

Asus GTX 1080
    Samsung 960 Pro 1TB M.2 SSD            
    Corsair TX850 Power 
    LG Blu Ray 10x RW CH10
    Corsair 570x Crystal Case

Asus Rog Swift PG278Q Monitor
    Windows 10 Pro x64

shingara
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: GTx 980 sc grey screen 2015/05/01 22:05:34 (permalink)
    put in the rma to the support team, but what i want to know is how does the rma work, do they send out a gpu and then you send back the one thats faulty or what, because ive already sold my 780's and cant go without my pc.

Edit, update, i finally got a prec x that works, god knows whats up with the new one, currently running 4.2 fine. But did a test as others have suggested and downclocked the card by 52 mhz and bang, it works fine, so its defo the card. And for a card that is watercooled as standard and has been shown to have the ability to majorly overclock it i find it rather unbelievable that these cards got past quality control when they have to be under clocked to actually work.
    post edited by shingara - 2015/05/02 00:54:25
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile