EVGA

GTX 980 FTW black screen / monitor turns off at boot once drivers are installed.

Author
SuperflyTNT2
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/02/04 16:15:16 (permalink)
Hi guys, I am going crazy over here and I can't tell you how upset I am since I was so excited to start gaming with this card. Long post coming up, I just want to make sure I thoroughly explain what's happening. I installed the card just fine, and it boots with no drivers installed and works just fine. However, as soon as I install the newest drivers, the computer will go to a black screen after POST. It will display the spinning "loading Windows" screen for a second or two, but then it immediately cuts to black, and when it does this I can see a few short lines of like distorted green pixels for a fraction of a second, almost like what you would see if you ripped the display cable out suddenly or something. After that happens, it just sits at a black screen and Windows never loads. I know this because I never hear the chime sound effect, so I know that Windows isn't loading in the background. I've tried installing the newest drivers several times and it's giving me the same issue everytime -- I even formatted the drive and re-installed a fresh copy of Windows to make sure it wasn't some kind of software conflict, and still doesn't work. After sitting at the black screen for a minute or two, the signal will cut and then the monitor turns itself off after detecting no input. Eventually I tried using an older version of the drivers, and then it kinda boots, but 1/2 the time the colors are all messed up once it loads Windows (looks like they are inverted or something). Then, it will lock up the computer within a few minutes, and either just freeze or reboot. Occasionally it will start up and the colors are normal on the DVI output, but the HDMI output is always full of artifacts and distorted. If I use DVI, the display at least looks normal, but it still locks up after a few minutes, and when it crashes the screen gets rows of like white blocks and just looks all crazy. The 3D actually works on the card, because I was able to run a game of World of Tanks for about one match before it eventually crashed (getting a great framerate with settings maxed too). This card is an RMA card -- my friend got it from EVGA when he RMA'd another card, and I bought it from him completely sealed in the box and it wasn't tampered with in any way. I was previously running an old Radeon 6670 in this computer, and it had no issues at all, so I am pretty confident it isn't any other component in my system. I have tried both new and old drivers installed with all the bundled software, and just with the driver files and nothing else installed, and it doesn't seem to matter. Card behaves the same way. I've also noticed that when I first installed the card, the card would spin up its fans all the way for just a moment and then I'd get the usual POST beep sound. However since I've started fiddling with it, and restarted a million times troubleshooting all this, it seems like the lag between the card spinning up it's fans and the POST beep has gotten like twice or even three times as long; there's like a good 5-10 seconds after hitting the power button and hearing the vid card spin up, and the POST beep now. Please help guys!

System specs:
CPU: Intel 4790K
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (8GB total)
SSD boot drive: OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD
HDD: Toshiba 7200RPM 500GB SATA HDD
PSU: Antec VP550F PSU
Case: Old-school Antec SX1030B
Previous video card that worked fine: MSI Radeon 6670 GPU

21 Replies Related Threads

deFiniLoGy
    • Total Posts : 75
    Re: GTX 980 FTW black screen / monitor turns off at boot once drivers are installed. 2016/02/04 16:50:51 (permalink)
    Have you tried resetting CMOS?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: GTX 980 FTW black screen / monitor turns off at boot once drivers are installed. 2016/02/04 17:25:32 (permalink)
    Sounds like you might have bought some junk from your friend. Test the GTX 980 in your friends system and see how it does. Buy a new psu for your rig too as the one you're currently running isn't very good.
    SuperflyTNT2
    Re: GTX 980 FTW black screen / monitor turns off at boot once drivers are installed. 2016/02/04 17:31:29 (permalink)
    I haven't tried resetting the CMOS, but I will try that tonight when I get home. Sajin, I know the PSU I have right now isn't that great, but I still think it should be good enough to at least boot the computer don't you think? Something tells me it isn't the PSU causing the issue. As far as buying junk from my friend, really I blame EVGA not him. It was absolutely still sealed in the box, hadn't been tampered with or anything, just came from EVGA and is guaranteed. Supposedly they test the cards they send out as RMA replacements, but something tells me that's the problem here. At least it still has the warranty on it. 
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 980 FTW black screen / monitor turns off at boot once drivers are installed. 2016/02/04 17:37:14 (permalink)
    Yes, it should be enough to power up the system. Something else is going on with your system though as you can't hear the windows chime.
    SuperflyTNT2
    Re: GTX 980 FTW black screen / monitor turns off at boot once drivers are installed. 2016/02/04 18:16:33 (permalink)
    Yeah, I thought at the least I should be able to boot into Windows. The fact that different versions of drivers offer varying degrees of success is very confusing too. Part of me wants to blame the hardware, but the driver issue is making me even more confused. Unfortunately the only other system I have to test with is a really old Intel Core 2 Duo system and I'm 99% sure the case is too small for the card. I will try yanking everything out of that old system and running it test bench style so I can get the card fit, but unfortunately my friend is back at school in PA and I'm in CA, so I can't use his system to try it. All the components I listed in my first post are brand new, but I had weird reboots and boot loops installing Windows at stock speeds (before I got this 980). For some reason changing the XMP profile and running the RAM at 1866Mhz seemed to make it go away (only time I've ever seen an OC make a system MORE stable). So, this weekend I think I'm going to pack the mobo, the PSU, and the RAM back in their packages and return them for different parts. I am going to get an MSI Gaming 5 instead I think, and probably stay with the same RAM but just have them give me different modules. I've never had so much difficulty building a PC I swear. The video card aside (I should've thought twice about buying an RMA replacement card), I've just never had so much stuff go wrong.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 980 FTW black screen / monitor turns off at boot once drivers are installed. 2016/02/04 18:52:11 (permalink)
    Sounds like a plan. 
    SuperflyTNT2
    Re: GTX 980 FTW black screen / monitor turns off at boot once drivers are installed. 2016/02/06 00:18:05 (permalink)
    Hey Sajin, quick question. I formatted again doing more testing, and I still haven't found a solution. I am still going to take the mobo, RAM, and PSU back in the morning and exchange them, but in the meantime I accidentally deleted the .ZIP of the old drivers I found that at least somewhat worked. When I get the new components all together I will try the newest driver first, but if they don't work what old version would you say is the most stable? I think the one I got that kinda worked was like 347 something? Just curious. 
    DeathAngel74
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1263
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: GTX 980 FTW black screen / monitor turns off at boot once drivers are installed. 2016/02/06 00:36:56 (permalink)
    Have you tried updating motherboard bios to f7?

Carnage specs:
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING | Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7820x | Memory Channels#1 and #3: Corsair Vengeance RGB 4x8GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz | Memory Channels#2 and #4: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 4x8GB DDR4 DRAM 3200 MHz | GPU: eVGA 1080 TI FTW3 Hybrid | PhysX: eVGA 1070 SC2 | SSD#1: Samsung 960 EVO 256GB m.2 nVME(Windows/boot) | SSD#2&3: OCZ TRION 150 480GB SATAx2(RAID0-Games) | SSD#4: ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SATA(Storage) | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 RGB 360mm AIO LCS | Case: Thermaltake X31 RGB | Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB 1000W Titanium | Keyboard: Razer Ornato Chroma | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Chroma | Mousepad: Razer Firefly Chroma | Operating System#1: Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate X64 | Operating System#2: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya (3DS Homebrew/Build Environment)
    SuperflyTNT2
    Re: GTX 980 FTW black screen / monitor turns off at boot once drivers are installed. 2016/02/06 01:19:52 (permalink)
    My motherboard was bought like 2.5 weeks ago. I thought about updating BIOS too, but when I checked I already have F7. So mine shipped with the most current BIOS available at the moment. Thanks for the help though. I am hopeful that getting new RAM, CPU, and PSU tomorrow fixes the video card issue. I was playing around with the comp earlier with the video card out, and was getting boot loops and couldn't get into Windows with the RAM set to default settings. If I turn on the XMP profile for the RAM and use integrated graphics, the system seems stable as it's what I am typing this on now, but something funky is going on and I am sick of dealing with this so it's time to try again with different hardware, then at least I'll know if it's the video card or not. Last night after a bunch of failed boots, I finally got into Windows w/o issue, and ran a full match of World of Tanks on full settings perfectly. The computer ended up crashing sometime after I fell asleep, but this make me somewhat optimistic that the card may be OK. 
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    Re: GTX 980 FTW black screen / monitor turns off at boot once drivers are installed. 2016/02/06 08:40:46 (permalink)
    Superfly, when did your friend buy this 980 FTW? It may have been before the time EVGA did not figure out that they made a huge batch of bad 980 FTWs.
     Regardless if the card was RMAd and never opened, the horrible batches still continued.

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    DeathAngel74
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1263
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: GTX 980 FTW black screen / monitor turns off at boot once drivers are installed. 2016/02/06 09:33:42 (permalink)
    Mine was acting funny too. I manually re-flashed and its ok now. I was getting BSOD for no reason. Just a thought, it might help. I have the same motherboard

Carnage specs:
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING | Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7820x | Memory Channels#1 and #3: Corsair Vengeance RGB 4x8GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz | Memory Channels#2 and #4: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 4x8GB DDR4 DRAM 3200 MHz | GPU: eVGA 1080 TI FTW3 Hybrid | PhysX: eVGA 1070 SC2 | SSD#1: Samsung 960 EVO 256GB m.2 nVME(Windows/boot) | SSD#2&3: OCZ TRION 150 480GB SATAx2(RAID0-Games) | SSD#4: ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SATA(Storage) | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 RGB 360mm AIO LCS | Case: Thermaltake X31 RGB | Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB 1000W Titanium | Keyboard: Razer Ornato Chroma | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Chroma | Mousepad: Razer Firefly Chroma | Operating System#1: Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate X64 | Operating System#2: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya (3DS Homebrew/Build Environment)
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 980 FTW black screen / monitor turns off at boot once drivers are installed. 2016/02/06 14:04:18 (permalink)
    SuperflyTNT2
    Hey Sajin, quick question. I formatted again doing more testing, and I still haven't found a solution. I am still going to take the mobo, RAM, and PSU back in the morning and exchange them, but in the meantime I accidentally deleted the .ZIP of the old drivers I found that at least somewhat worked. When I get the new components all together I will try the newest driver first, but if they don't work what old version would you say is the most stable? I think the one I got that kinda worked was like 347 something? Just curious. 

SuperflyTNT2
    Re: GTX 980 FTW black screen / monitor turns off at boot once drivers are installed. 2016/02/08 02:17:04 (permalink)
    Well it's the card for sure folks. Took the mobo, RAM, and PSU back to the store and exchanged it for different parts. I now have an MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo, 16 GB of Corsair Dominator 2133Mhz DDR3, and an Antec Gamer 620W modular PSU. Got everything together without the card first, and it runs BEAUTIFULLY. No boot loops like the last RAM gave me until I enabled XMP -- this stuff is running at the low speed of 1333Mhz for now since I wanted to make sure everything is stable, and it's totally trouble free. So, I get all the drivers in, make sure it's all good and it's time to install the video card. Same exact thing as last time: boots fine with no drivers, but as soon as the newest drivers are installed it crashes on Windows load up. After displaying "loading Windows" for a second, it cuts the loading animation and creates weird artifacting/lines for an instant. then straight to a black screen where it will just sit forever until the computer is restarted. Then upon reboot, it'll just do the same thing, so Windows will not start at all. So, at this point I am quite sad, it looks like my only course of action remaining is to RMA the card. Two different sets of hardware and it does the same thing, so I think that's a sure sign the card is broken somehow at a hardware level. How long does EVGA take to RMA stuff? Are the pretty quick? I live in SoCal, and noticed they are in Brea, which is only about 1.5 hours away from me. I am hoping this means I can get the card back quick, but I am guessing I'll be a minimum of two to three weeks before I will be able to game with a working GFX card. God @&%$# dammit!!!! 
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 980 FTW black screen / monitor turns off at boot once drivers are installed. 2016/02/08 19:41:27 (permalink)
    SuperflyTNT2
    Well it's the card for sure folks. Took the mobo, RAM, and PSU back to the store and exchanged it for different parts. I now have an MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo, 16 GB of Corsair Dominator 2133Mhz DDR3, and an Antec Gamer 620W modular PSU. Got everything together without the card first, and it runs BEAUTIFULLY. No boot loops like the last RAM gave me until I enabled XMP -- this stuff is running at the low speed of 1333Mhz for now since I wanted to make sure everything is stable, and it's totally trouble free. So, I get all the drivers in, make sure it's all good and it's time to install the video card. Same exact thing as last time: boots fine with no drivers, but as soon as the newest drivers are installed it crashes on Windows load up. After displaying "loading Windows" for a second, it cuts the loading animation and creates weird artifacting/lines for an instant. then straight to a black screen where it will just sit forever until the computer is restarted. Then upon reboot, it'll just do the same thing, so Windows will not start at all. So, at this point I am quite sad, it looks like my only course of action remaining is to RMA the card. Two different sets of hardware and it does the same thing, so I think that's a sure sign the card is broken somehow at a hardware level. How long does EVGA take to RMA stuff? Are the pretty quick? I live in SoCal, and noticed they are in Brea, which is only about 1.5 hours away from me. I am hoping this means I can get the card back quick, but I am guessing I'll be a minimum of two to three weeks before I will be able to game with a working GFX card. God @&%$# dammit!!!! 

Go to their headquarters and ask for an rma. 
    MDeckerM
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1799
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: GTX 980 FTW black screen / monitor turns off at boot once drivers are installed. 2016/02/08 20:17:08 (permalink)
    SuperflyTNT2How long does EVGA take to RMA stuff? Are the pretty quick? I live in SoCal, and noticed they are in Brea, which is only about 1.5 hours away from me. I am hoping this means I can get the card back quick, but I am guessing I'll be a minimum of two to three weeks before I will be able to game with a working GFX card.

Hello,

Once we receive the card for a standard RMA it takes around 1-3 business days for handling and processing. On the third business day is when the replacement card will be shipped and in most cases will arrive next day in southern California.

We also offer a cross-ship option which allows you to pay collateral on the replacement and then we send you the replacement first. You then send the original card into EVGA and we refund you the collateral amount.

To start an RMA I will need you to register your product to an EVGA account. It would also be prevalent to uploading a copy of your invoice. Please visit the link below to start registration http://www.evga.com/support/register.asp

Once you are done call our 24/7 support staff at 888-881-3842 and we can start the RMA process.

Thank you
    SuperflyTNT2
    Re: GTX 980 FTW black screen / monitor turns off at boot once drivers are installed. 2016/02/08 20:48:11 (permalink)
    Thanks EVGATech_MDecker I appreciate the response. That's good news regarding the turn around time on the RMA. I probably won't do the collateral option, but also good to know. I do have a question though -- you mentioned that it would be good for me to upload a copy of my invoice. I bought it from a friend of mine, but we did do it through PayPal since he is away at school. Should I just upload a screenshot of the PayPal invoice? Would that be sufficient? Thanks!
    NO_sauce
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 268
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: GTX 980 FTW black screen / monitor turns off at boot once drivers are installed. 2016/02/09 08:47:03 (permalink)
    It would be beneficial because the RMA will be processed faster with the invoice. I'm sure PayPal would be fine, it just helps expedite things.

If you have a moment, please rate my service  Agent: Joseph L
    EVGATech_JaesonW
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 910
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: GTX 980 FTW black screen / monitor turns off at boot once drivers are installed. 2016/02/09 09:36:10 (permalink)
    Actually, as the second owner an invoice wouldn't be necessary. For the second owner, the warranty would be based on the date we shipped out the product. In the case of an RMA'd card such as yours, it will go off the original product's purchase date. This is all automatically tracked in our records, and can see how many days of warranty you have left by putting your serial number in on the Guest RMA page. 

EVGA Customer Service Manager
    Have a moment? Please rate our service 
    SuperflyTNT2
    Re: GTX 980 FTW black screen / monitor turns off at boot once drivers are installed. 2016/02/09 13:17:54 (permalink)
    Thanks EVGATech_JaesonW! Do I need to register the card first in order to do the guest RMA? I don't mind registering it, I am just curious. 
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: GTX 980 FTW black screen / monitor turns off at boot once drivers are installed. 2016/02/09 13:21:03 (permalink)
    SuperflyTNT2
    Thanks EVGATech_JaesonW! Do I need to register the card first in order to do the guest RMA? I don't mind registering it, I am just curious. 

Nope, just go right here and follow the steps.
    SuperflyTNT2
    Re: GTX 980 FTW black screen / monitor turns off at boot once drivers are installed. 2016/02/09 13:39:57 (permalink)
    Thanks Sajin! You, and all the other members/techs who have been helping me on this, have been fantastic and I really appreciate the help. Alright, all guest RMA forms are all filled out, says to expect 1-2 days before I get a response. Now the waiting game begins. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile