EVGA

Frames Per Second

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Camille6244
  • Total Posts : 34
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Frames Per Second 2015/12/03 15:55:59 (permalink)
I suppose I will get around to taking some pics in a few days.  It is just that, to me, soft-tubing is not showcase worthy.  It is definitely function over form, but my goodness, PETG tubing would REALLY set the thing off to where I would absolutely love showing it.

I wish I could work out a deal with a sponsor or three, then I would have a new rig popping in about once a month that was showcase worthy.  My current one would be perfect for a show; it is girl colors (and thank goodness I am a girl)--purple, pink and black.  If I put the UV pink PETG tubing in it, with the already UV purple lighting, you guys would freak out and start praying to me several times a day (just kidding . . . sort of).  Right now it just has UV purple soft-tubing, and it looks . . . kind of crappy to me. . .. *sighs*

MOBO: R5E
CPU: 5960X
GPU: 2x EVGA Hydro Copper Titan X
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB
Storage 1: Intel 750 Series 400GB add-in card
Storage 2: 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB in RAID 0
Monitor: ROG Swift PG278Q
Custom water-cooled w/ Alphacool Full-Copper Rads: two 480mm & two 240mm; all w/ be quiet! Silent Wings II static fans; one 140mm exhaust fan, also be quiet! SW II, but it is an air flow; an EK DDC 3.3 PWM X-TOP dual-pump (sleeved black) w/ EK drain valve & EK soft-tubing compression fittings - all black; Primoflex Advanced LRT UV Purple Tubing; a Bitspower Flow Indicator & two Aquacomputer Inline Temperature Sensors; ASUS Strix Tactic Pro Keyboard; Mionix Castor RGB Ergonomic Optical Gaming Mouse; Corsair USB Void 7.1 Headset; Razer Goliath Extended Gaming Mouse Pad; Windows 10 Pro; TrackIR 5; Bitfenix Alchemy 2.0 UV Purple LED Strips, a 120mm & a 300mm; two pink 5mm LED's & two purple 5mm spotlight LED's, all w/ tails.
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 4893
  • Ribbons : 46
Re: Frames Per Second 2015/12/03 18:03:57 (permalink)
It, to me at least, isn't as much about being "show worthy" it is more a love of design, and I am 100% function over form, my case is ugly, and I dont care, it works and works VERY well.  The blocks and components are nice on mine but there is minimal cable management, and tube everywhere, I messed with a ton of different configs, and this, as long and convoluted as it is has netter me the best temps.  So I like to see pics simply form a function and design perspective, sure I love something cool as much as the next guy, but while some guys love looking at the super flashy show cars, I am the one in the pits watching tune and staring way too intently at certain high end parts, or at a shop catching dyno pulls.  The high end computers and cars are all the same to me, I am interested in just about anything home made that functions better than stock.  :)

BTW I sent you a PM on a completely different topic.
Camille6244
Re: Frames Per Second 2015/12/03 20:29:17 (permalink)
Got the PM, and do all you can for the good guys!

I purposely ran my cooling loop in its most optimal route, doing stuff like making all the inlets of my four rads the lowest port of each of them and the outlets from the highest ports of them.  This gets all the air bubbles out of your system most efficiently.

I also have a dual-pump in one large loop (just under 3 liters of distilled, PT Nuked water) which provides for more water pressure and works as a fail-safe if/when one of the pumps decides to quit, allowing me to notice the slightly higher temps and know that something is wrong so I can shut everything down before something gets too hot and fries.  In this way, a dual-pump allows me to not have to deal with a fan controller with an alarm on it.  The BIOS controls my PWM fans well-enough (quite awesomely, actually) and have I two inline thermal sensors that keep temps for me in the BIOS as well, and they run about 21C on average.  I also have a flow meter vane with a pink LED behind it so I can always look over at it and see it spinning.

My loop runs like this:  Glass reservoir-to-dual-pump; dual-pump-to-240mm long, 60mm thick radiator; 240mm long, 60mm thick radiator-to-480mm long, 45mm thick radiator (inline thermal sensor here on outlet port to read water temp as it leaves both radiators before it goes to GPU's); 480mm long, 45mm thick radiator up into-2nd GPU; 2nd GPU-to-1st GPU; 1st GPU up into-480mm long, 60mm thick radiator; 480mm long, 60mm thick radiator-across and down into (the flow meter vane is here between radiators)-240mm long, 45mm thick radiator (the second inline temperature sensor is here in the inlet port.  I wanted it in the outlet port so as to read the temp just before it went into CPU monoblock, but it was not physically possible with how snug everything is in the bottom of the 900D case); 240mm long, 45mm thick radiator-across and up into the inlet port of the CPU monoblock (the center hole directly over the CPU) and then out of the outlet port of the CPU monoblock-reversed back across and into the inlet port of the one glass reservoir to start the loop over again.

"Function over form!"  The above large loop is the best it can be as far as getting optimal temps, and with all the soft-tubing going on (over 10 feet of it), it IS awesome . . . even if a bit unsightly.

Custom water-cooled w/ Alphacool Full-Copper Rads: two 480mm & two 240mm; all w/ be quiet! Silent Wings II static fans; one 140mm exhaust fan, also be quiet! SW II, but it is an air flow; an EK DDC 3.3 PWM X-TOP dual-pump (sleeved black) w/ EK drain valve & EK soft-tubing compression fittings - all black; Primoflex Advanced LRT UV Purple Tubing; a Bitspower Flow Indicator & two Aquacomputer Inline Temperature Sensors; ASUS Strix Tactic Pro Keyboard; Mionix Castor RGB Ergonomic Optical Gaming Mouse; Corsair USB Void 7.1 Headset; Razer Goliath Extended Gaming Mouse Pad; Windows 10 Pro; TrackIR 5; Bitfenix Alchemy 2.0 UV Purple LED Strips, a 120mm & a 300mm; two pink 5mm LED's & two purple 5mm spotlight LED's, all w/ tails.
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
Re: Frames Per Second 2015/12/04 10:12:19 (permalink)
That sounds pretty awesome to me, I love fully optimized builds like that.

I have a dual loop, both loops dual 360s, I am running Black Ice Extremes, really thick high FPI rads.  I am running P/P config with Panaflo 38mm Ultra Highs, all on a fan controller, at 1200-1300RPM keeps temps low at heavy clocks and benching (clocked to the point I would not call it long term stable, just as fast as I can get it and survive a benchmark) I crank the fan speed all the way up.  Sounds like WW2 era aircraft launching but it really pushes the temps back down, I just love to have the overhead.  Also in a big case, the dual loop makes maintenance and upgrades a lot easier.

Loop1:  XSPC Bay res + MCP655B - BI360 - CPU - mobo block by NATEMAN_DOO - BI360 - VRM block by NATEMAN_DOO which has some custom top that I asked for - back to res.  Thermal probes are after 1st rad, after mobo block, after 2nd rad, and after VRM block, all of that is plugged into my 1st fan controller as well as the 12 fans (3 per header). 

Loop2:  XSPC Bay res + MCP655B - BI360 - 980 - BI360 - MCP655B with clear EK pumptop w/o Res - 980 - 980 - back to res.  Thermal probe are after 1st rad, after 1st 980, after 2nd rad, after 3rd 980.  All of the probes go to my other fan controller as well as the 12 fans for those rads.
Also some case vent fans are there, but they are quiet and not controller, just have them on an NZXT 3pin hub.

At some point, as I have an older CPU block, I was thinking of upgrading it, as I had that block back on my X58.... also CPU loop only has one pump, was thinking of adding another for redundancy and also some Quick Disconnects, I have them on the GPU loop and they are really handy, so I have ordered some for the CPU loop as well.

Mine isn't terribly pretty either, but, it works VERY well, and I have spent some time going through tons of different configs over the years with temp probes and all and this is the coolest all of the parts run.  Granted some less cumbersome designs still cooled well, but I didn't build something so monster for good but not the best.  Hah, just thought hope Hallowen doesn't catch this post of mine, or he will be back to being the enabler again and get me MORE interested than I already am in a chiller....you can always Get it Colder.

And I received your PM.
Camille6244
Re: Frames Per Second 2015/12/04 11:59:54 (permalink)
Very nice!  So you have a dragster PC!

My rads only have 10-12 FPI, but I built mine to be quite as much as be able to handle a heavy load.  The lesser the FPI, the lesser the noise and the slower the fans can run.  That is why have so many rads: With lesser FPI and slower RPM'ed fans, the more spread out the heat dispensing has to be and so more rads are needed.

I have the cylinder XSPC 170mm glass reservoir with the LED tube vertically running through the center of it (and the light is pink!).  I thought about getting a bay reservoir--it would have been much easier than drilling holes in the inner MOBO wall inside the 900D case like I had to do, but the way bay res's are made, I wonder about the odds of them leaking after a period time.  Are yours well-made?

I am guessing your fan controllers have alarms on them that sound off if/when a pump shuts down, but I really like the redundancy of having a dual-pump on each loop in case my machine is running and I am not within 'hearing distance' of it.

NATEMAN_DOO must have great fun designing and forging blocks.  That would be so cool to be able to do that!  I wonder if a full-monoblock, one that covers CPU, MOBO, GPU's, RAM and add-in PCIe_NVMe storage cards, is feasible to forge and attach.  It would seem to be the best water-cooling option since water flow would then be virtually unrestricted.

Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 13061
  • Ribbons : 34
Re: Frames Per Second 2015/12/04 12:38:06 (permalink)
I have been following this post, Camille6244. You have a very impressive sounding setup. Have you considered posting it on the Mods/Rigs page? I would very much like to see some pics and benchmark scores from you. I hereby promise to officially award you your first +1 vote on your Mods/Rigs page.
Camille6244
Re: Frames Per Second 2015/12/04 16:07:09 (permalink)
Ut oh, you mean people actually vote on rigs?  Now I REALLY wish I had installed the rigid PETG tubing. . ..

Still, I am glad it sounds like it is worth seeing, regardless of the mass of flexible tubing that will have to be in any of the pics I take of the build.  I suppose I will get around to posting some pics of Shadow Wraith in a few days.  I just dread having to see pics without the rigid tubing in them like I had originally planned. . ..

Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 13061
  • Ribbons : 34
Re: Frames Per Second 2015/12/04 18:09:00 (permalink)
Just click the Mods-Rigs banner under the member's ID to view their setup. Sign-in with your EVGA User-name and pwd to vote or click the 'Build' tab to start your own build. I used flexible tubing but added some anti-kink coils to give it some color and make things look purdy.
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4977
Re: Frames Per Second 2015/12/05 13:19:17 (permalink)
EVGATech_DaveB
For planning out a loop, I look first to cooling, I make sure I am overkill, so I can expand as needed.
From there I look at disaster recovery.  If _____ breaks, and I need to replace it, how horrid will it be to take this apart, and what can I do to mitigate that?  QD's are a big thing for me now, and also, for testing parts I always try to leave some flex available.

As for GSync,. oh yeah, it is a huge help.  Is it better to be faster, most definitely, but GSync is a huge pl;us for keeping everything smooth, as it syncs the refresh rate of the monitor to the frame rate so you don't get tearing or other such issues.  I saw a side by side demo  same video being played at 35-45FPS same speed, one monitor has GSync the other does not, and the same at higher speeds.  I knew the technology looked awesome on paper, but in practicality I was not sure, but once I saw the demo in person I was in awe and knew I wanted it.  So when a games FPS varies, you hardly notice it unless it is a huge difference in FPS, and even then you do NOT have the problem of portions of the screen rendered in the wrong place laterally.

30 FPS locked is also not bad either. It's pretty nice on GSYNC.

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
4820K CPU
16x G-skill
TECH_DaveB
EVGA Alumni
Re: Frames Per Second 2015/12/07 14:58:23 (permalink)
Camille6244
Very nice!  So you have a dragster PC!

My rads only have 10-12 FPI, but I built mine to be quite as much as be able to handle a heavy load.  The lesser the FPI, the lesser the noise and the slower the fans can run.  That is why have so many rads: With lesser FPI and slower RPM'ed fans, the more spread out the heat dispensing has to be and so more rads are needed.

I have the cylinder XSPC 170mm glass reservoir with the LED tube vertically running through the center of it (and the light is pink!).  I thought about getting a bay reservoir--it would have been much easier than drilling holes in the inner MOBO wall inside the 900D case like I had to do, but the way bay res's are made, I wonder about the odds of them leaking after a period time.  Are yours well-made?

I am guessing your fan controllers have alarms on them that sound off if/when a pump shuts down, but I really like the redundancy of having a dual-pump on each loop in case my machine is running and I am not within 'hearing distance' of it.

NATEMAN_DOO must have great fun designing and forging blocks.  That would be so cool to be able to do that!  I wonder if a full-monoblock, one that covers CPU, MOBO, GPU's, RAM and add-in PCIe_NVMe storage cards, is feasible to forge and attach.  It would seem to be the best water-cooling option since water flow would then be virtually unrestricted.

Yeah sorta, kinda the drag car from the old Lion's Race Track days of "Run what ya brung" a driver you race the crap out of.

i don't have alarms for the pumps, however, these are MCP655 pumps and they make some horrendous noises when they are failing, also all the temp probes show on my controllers, so I know if there is a problem as the temps start going up.  In all the years of water cooling I have had 1 pump fail, and I have been at this over 10 years, and that's a lot of rigs of mine and a lot for friends too.  Of all the things that can go wrong, pumps failing are the least of my worries; of course it is possible, but, not something I view as terribly likely.

As for Nateman, I have spoke with him at length, it is a labor of love for him, also from my experience, he will build you just about anything within his means if you can pay for it, not saying his prices are not reasonable, they are, more than actually, but if it is something one off, there is design time.  But I would say if it is something you are interested in, contact him.

Zuhl3156
I have been following this post, Camille6244. You have a very impressive sounding setup. Have you considered posting it on the Mods/Rigs page? I would very much like to see some pics and benchmark scores from you. I hereby promise to officially award you your first +1 vote on your Mods/Rigs page.

Like I said..... people here aren't turned off by tons of flexible tubing, I knew others besides me would say to get it up on ModsRigs.  Many of us just like seeing a solid design.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile