EVGA

Helpful ReplyHelp Needed - EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid no longer working ...

Author
Zorton Maverick
  • Total Posts : 84
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/10/24 11:35:01 (permalink)
Hey All,
So my build is straightforward - 6700k / EVGA Z170 Classified (4 Way) / EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid / Noctua NH-D15S / EVGA 1200 PS PSU.

I moved all my parts from a Haf 932 into a Phanteks Enthoo Luxe. Very happy with the new case and all went well.
However, when I started it up, at first it wasn't seeing the SSD drive (Boot Drive) - I resolved this by going into the BIOS and resetting everything. That worked fine.
Then I noticed that the GPU wasn't running ?

I should just add that the only differences from one case to the other are as follows:-
1 - I changed from using the normal PSU Cables that came with my EVGA 1200 P2 PSU to the Red Cables bought from EVGA.
2. With the HAF 932 - I had 3 fans ( 3 * 200mm) fans running from the fan headers on my Montherboard. I also had the 1 fan on the NH-D15S running from the CPU1 Fan header and that was it. In the new case, the 3 fans ( 2 * 140mm and 1 200mm) are connected to a Fan hub on the back of the case. This is then connected to CPU_2 Fan header on my mobo and powered by a Sata connection to my PSU. ALl the rest are the same.

The card was in PCi Slot 1 so changed and checked in Slot 2. Same issue.
So, Windows 10 isn't seeing the GPU and when I start up the PC, the 980 TI Hybrid fans (blower and one on the rad are not running).
Then I changed the VGA cable for another to test and the same thing.
I then swapped back the original Black Cable from the PSU I was using to test that and same thing, nothing.
I changed the VGA Ports 1, 2 and 3 on the PSU - same issue.

Finally I swapped in my EVGA GTX 960 SC card that is running fine in my kids PC and the same thing.
My thinking is that it's either the Motherboard or PSU ? But what tests can I run ?
I have a question ?? If my GTX 980 TI HYbrid is securely in its PCI Slot and Power cables attached, if there is an issue with the Motherboard but PSU is fine, should power be going to the GPU and the fans kicking in ???
I would test my 980TI in the kids PC but it has an EVGA 430W PSU that doesn't have the necessary power cable for the card.
Any help or suggestions appreciated ??
Not sure what is causing the problems and all was working fone 24 hrs ago..
Regards, Emilio
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Help Needed - EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid no longer working ... 2016/10/24 18:43:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zorton Maverick 2016/10/24 18:50:14
Zorton Maverick

Finally I swapped in my EVGA GTX 960 SC card that is running fine in my kids PC and the same thing.

I have a question ?? If my GTX 980 TI HYbrid is securely in its PCI Slot and Power cables attached, if there is an issue with the Motherboard but PSU is fine, should power be going to the GPU and the fans kicking in ???

Dead giveaway. Something is up with your motherboard. 

Yes.
Zorton Maverick
Re: Help Needed - EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid no longer working ... 2016/10/24 18:53:07 (permalink)
Hi Sajin,
Thanks for the response. I am going to remove the PSU and 980TI tomorrow and put therm in the Kids PC with an i3-6100 and Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2HP Motherboard and test it.
If the card and psu work fine, I can only assume (as you have stated) that there is an issue with the motherboard.
If this is the case, is there anything I can do on my end before having to send back (last resort) ?
I have already reset the BIOS..
I have removed the 980TI and EVGA Precision and loads up fine - but sometimes giving an error of 5d - which relates to PCI slots I think ?
Regards...Emilio
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help Needed - EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid no longer working ... 2016/10/24 19:11:28 (permalink)
Zorton Maverick
Hi Sajin,
Thanks for the response. I am going to remove the PSU and 980TI tomorrow and put therm in the Kids PC with an i3-6100 and Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2HP Motherboard and test it.
If the card and psu work fine, I can only assume (as you have stated) that there is an issue with the motherboard.
If this is the case, is there anything I can do on my end before having to send back (last resort) ?
I have already reset the BIOS..
I have removed the 980TI and EVGA Precision and loads up fine - but sometimes giving an error of 5d - which relates to PCI slots I think ?
Regards...Emilio

The motherboard comes with dual bios support. You might want to try the other bios.
Dr.Death
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1011
  • Ribbons : 9
Re: Help Needed - EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid no longer working ... 2016/10/26 09:07:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zorton Maverick 2016/10/26 15:38:53
I been seeing things as this on other forums  as well  with skylake platform   ??   card not working/ not being detected anywhere  or just stopped working   but put the card in another computer  and worked fine       one guy RMA'ed    the cpu through intel and with the new replacement cpu  all was back to good   after he tried RMA'ing   cards / memory/ motherboards  / psu's     then was down to only the cpu was  left to exchange/ rma    and he claimed that ended up being it ??  [not to say that's your issue  ]  

SPECS:
Windows 10 HOME
i5 6600k
MSI Z170 Krait 3x motherboard
Kingston HYPERX 2133mhz 16gb Ram
Corsair 650CXSM PSU
EVGA GTX 970 SC
'' have disabled the iGPU, selected the PEG option in my BIOS and have tried 3 different GPUs to no avail. I even went as far as sending back 3 different motherboards, yet always coming back to the same problem, NO SIGNAL from GPU and no detection in BIOS. I have even tried 2 different PSUs, used one stick of ram, no sticks of ram, made sure the PSU connections were correct, and even ran the cards on a different board with a different CPU (I7 920). I even RMA'd the GPU twice through EVGA because I initially thought it was a GPU related issue.
The GPUs work on the X58 Chipset motherboard, but whenever i want to use an external GPU on my i5 6600k build, the signal isnt there, yet the fans on the GPU are spinning. I even reinstalled the OS a few times, but still nothing from the GPU. Also flashed the BIOS to the latest version. The funny thing is that the PCI networking card works in the slots, but not the GPUs.

Is this a problem with the processor, or am i missing something here? This is the first time in a long time where I have experienced such a problem before. ''

see about all he got left to try is a new cpu or ditch win-10   ???

Zorton Maverick
Re: Help Needed - EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid no longer working ... 2016/11/01 15:40:29 (permalink)
Thanks for the responses and apologies for the delay in replying. Was very busy with work the last week so didn't have a chance to do any testing.
Ok - so as of today Nov 1st, I can confirm that my 980 TI Hybrid is working fine. I tested this in my Kids PC with my EVGA 1200 P2, a Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2HP Motherboard and a i3-6100.
As far as I can tell, it has to be either my EVGA Z170 Classified motherboard or my 6700k.
The setup was working fine without the GPU, but then I noticed that the image being displayed to the screen was starting to distort. Then I got a 5D error on the mobo indicating a PCI slot issue.
I have got in touch with tech support and looking to RMA my motherboard. This is the 1st time I have ever had to return anything via RMA.. Is this an easy process ?
Thanks for all your help.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Help Needed - EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid no longer working ... 2016/11/01 20:02:46 (permalink)
Zorton Maverick
This is the 1st time I have ever had to return anything via RMA.. Is this an easy process ?

Yes, it's an easy process. www.evga.com/howtorma

Dr.Death
FTW Member
Re: Help Needed - EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid no longer working ... 2016/11/02 06:07:36 (permalink)
I do feel evga is one of the most hassle free   quicker action  companies to deal with   on a rma   or support issue  .   just work with there support guy follow the steps   and should be smooth sailing  . could be worse  and having to deal with something like  ASUS   they get unfriendly fast when it seems it may cost them some of there money  after there blame game is not working   [its everyone's fault but there own ] ..lol...   evga try's to satisfy  there customers .   I recall on another forum a guy  had a evga item that   I would of never thought  they would honor   in fact  I would of never asked them  if I had it but  evga did do something for him  when it looked so easy to just tell him flat out   no way  .  I thought ''wow''  pretty nice of evga to at least do something and all in the end was happy 

still don't forget the pci-e slot /lanes run through the CPU on intel     and why I brought up in what I said in my post above    maybe the replacement motherboard will be the trick but if not ??? 
like I said been seeing a lot of this going around over the past few months 
Zorton Maverick
Re: Help Needed - EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid no longer working ... 2016/11/02 14:31:58 (permalink)
Thanks Dr Death ..
Yep, I only buy EVGA products now due to their after sales service. I have never had to return something before but a friend of mine had a Asus GTX 770 that started to go wrong when it was a little over a year old. Needless to say, they were anything but helpful. Amazon.co.uk ended up stepping in as he bought from them originally and in Europe, all electrical items come with a statutory 2 year warranty. 
All my current GPU's and PSU's are EVGA - main motherboard is EVGA and even my mouse ;-)
I am currently in touch with tech support. Down my main gaming PC for a week now...just as BF1 was released and the new DLC for Dark Souls 3..ah well.
Thanks again!
Dr.Death
FTW Member
Re: Help Needed - EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid no longer working ... 2016/11/02 15:42:29 (permalink)
I'm not that die hard   but every NVidia card except for 2  [my first and 2ed  one ]  been evga .  only   my first was a MSI  AGP   and its still going well today   got it like back in 2000 ?? then a voodoo  my buddy got and still use's it   [that's service and quality ]

my last was this 9890ti hybrid   so far so good   only issue I can see is how long of life will that cooler last ??   and evga has dropped any parts or support needs for it  as soon as the 10 series was released  , so ????    if it fails I may just be S.O.L    and its in the trash   or have to run over to corsair to replace it with there solution  [make it a seahawk]

when you get it all back and going post back with the results 

good luck 
Dr.Death
FTW Member
Re: Help Needed - EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid no longer working ... 2016/11/03 06:48:54 (permalink)
that can be true    I've seen where the cpu cooler improperly mounted can put stress on the socket   /warp the board  and cause issues as this ???    crooked tightening  /too tight    then they claim skylake got a thin lid  may bend in to something inside the chip cause a short  ?? [long shot I guess?]   heck MSI offers a guard

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3016421/hardware/msis-cpu-guard-aims-to-keep-your-skylake-chip-from-bending-under-pressure.html
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile