EVGA

GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100%

Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 36 of 54
Author
D1as23
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/27 22:00:01 (permalink)
I'm getting "radio silence" from EVGA EU.....

This is what I wrote them today in another support ticket:

"Opened my first support ticket on Friday, 23 September. I was told that as soon as I would make the RMA request, the pick-up of the card would be scheduled (normally for the next day). I did the RMA request in one hour but the pick-up was not scheduled.

Waited until Monday to remind you in another support ticket about it and was told that pick-up was not requested on Friday but it is now (Monday) requested and that I would receive tracking information once available.

Sent another support ticket on Tuesday to have update on the pick-up schedule but did not receive reply yet.

Today is Wednesday, 28 September, RMA approved in the meantime with current status to send the card to EVGA, but still the pick-up is not scheduled.

4 days have passed (where eventually the card could already be at EVGA) but still no real progress and I am not able to use my computer since Friday (since I packed it on Friday when I was told the pick-up would be scheduled while the RMA was in process of approval, and that pick-up would occur the next day).

Can you please tell me when is the pick-up effectively going to be scheduled?

Can I have free advance RMA (as been mentioned in EVGA forums to be possible in this case) so that I can use my computer ASAP?

Can you please make sure it is a new card being sent, since the RMA request is within the 30 days of purchase, so that we do not need to keep exchanging cards and do it correctly.

Thanks for your replies."

nautics889
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 137
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/27 22:06:11 (permalink)
D1as23
I'm getting "radio silence" from EVGA EU.....

This is what I wrote them today in another support ticket:

"Opened my first support ticket on Friday, 23 September. I was told that as soon as I would make the RMA request, the pick-up of the card would be scheduled (normally for the next day). I did the RMA request in one hour but the pick-up was not scheduled.

Waited until Monday to remind you in another support ticket about it and was told that pick-up was not requested on Friday but it is now (Monday) requested and that I would receive tracking information once available.

Sent another support ticket on Tuesday to have update on the pick-up schedule but did not receive reply yet.

Today is Wednesday, 28 September, RMA approved in the meantime with current status to send the card to EVGA, but still the pick-up is not scheduled.

4 days have passed (where eventually the card could already be at EVGA) but still no real progress and I am not able to use my computer since Friday (since I packed it on Friday when I was told the pick-up would be scheduled while the RMA was in process of approval, and that pick-up would occur the next day).

Can you please tell me when is the pick-up effectively going to be scheduled?

Can I have free advance RMA (as been mentioned in EVGA forums to be possible in this case) so that I can use my computer ASAP?

Can you please make sure it is a new card being sent, since the RMA request is within the 30 days of purchase, so that we do not need to keep exchanging cards and do it correctly.

Thanks for your replies."

Dang, sorry to hear the troubles you're going through, i would use the online support chat to get through them.... and demand expedited ARMA due to your troubles... 

nautics889
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 137
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/27 22:11:34 (permalink)
For about 3hrs now i have been OC'ing my 1080ftw replacement, and no black screen/100 fan problems. Overclocked to run stable with +124Mhz at 2076Mhz drop from 2101Mhz. Memory set at +510Mhz at 11,028Mhz with temps steady at 68c. so far no problems. I hope all the rest of you that are still dealing with the RMA problems get resolved ASAP. 

D1as23
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/27 22:38:00 (permalink)
nautics889

Dang, sorry to hear the troubles you're going through, i would use the online support chat to get through them.... and demand expedited ARMA due to your troubles... 

I've escalated it by sending an email to EVGA EU support manager.. Let's see if he can help me..
Azuna
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/27 23:19:04 (permalink)
EVGA Support told me that it is an issue with guild wars 2 not being updated for factory overclocked cards, this is a common issue across a lot of guild wars 2 forums.
As long as it is the only game that prompts the issue I should be fine, as soon as another game does it they recommend to RMA when possible.
mobsters
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 132
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/28 00:33:18 (permalink)
Azuna
EVGA Support told me that it is an issue with guild wars 2 not being updated for factory overclocked cards, this is a common issue across a lot of guild wars 2 forums.
As long as it is the only game that prompts the issue I should be fine, as soon as another game does it they recommend to RMA when possible.

Uhm what? GW2 is not being updated for factory OC cards? what is that? How you update game for OC cards? Normal cards that is not factory oc is fine in that game?

I don't understand this at all.

AMD Ryzen 3700X / Asus X470 C7H / EVGA GTX 1080 SC / G.Skill 16GB Flare X DDR4 3200MHz CL14 / EVGA SuperNOVA 850w P2

Avisari
  • Total Posts : 48
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/28 00:46:08 (permalink)
Azuna
this is a common issue across a lot of guild wars 2 forums.

Can you link some examples of this?
maxheadroom101
  • Total Posts : 38
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/28 01:18:38 (permalink)
Its WAY more than just GW2. Surprised ECGA reps are saying this given they've already admitted its a hardware fault on their end.

Also this "everything shipped after August 30 is fine" isn't technically true either since a batch of faulty cards were mislabelled as working and sent out. This too they have admitted (My first RMA was shipped on September 7 and had the same 100% BS fault)
JPS2K5
  • Total Posts : 74
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/28 01:49:27 (permalink)
Jordanluke
Just had a chat with a nice chap at EU EVGA. He said that a new batch of cards that came in got labelled up incorrectly, which resulted in many people getting a 2nd or 3rd faulty card. He assured me I would receive a factory sealed retail card, brand new, without the defect. He offered a UPS pick up or if I wanted to ship it myself, they will refund me up to 40 Euros for shipping costs. 

Like the poster above I am nervous about receiving another dodgy card. This will be my 3rd card now and if it isn't right this time, I don't know what I'm going to do as the shop I bought it from (CCL Computers UK) will not refund me as they couldn't replicate the problem in testing, which I think is rubbish.  

This just sounds like more 100% BS to me. If this was true, they would know who received one. In wich case they could be avoiding more bad rep by sending an email to those persons asking them to contact them in order to replace it.

Basicly now I'm unsure wether my cards are ok, and let me tell you that ain't feeling right. I feel obligated to game as much as I can to see if the cards fail. FTW... more like W T F!

D1as23
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/28 04:18:19 (permalink)
This is getting more stupid by the minute!
So i got this reply:
"
I apologize for the delay in this matter.
Unfortunately we are having trouble creating the Pick-Up for this region.
We will refund your shipping costs of course, but you will have to send the item to us, can you please check the shipping costs from your end and let us know?
You will of course receive a new card for a RMA within 30 days, however the option of an advanced RMA without the security deposit unfortunately is not possible.
"
Well, I managed to do an estimation shipping costs in 5 min at UPS site!...
Why would I pay for afterwards to be refunded by EVGA if UPS can charge directly the Receiver (EVGA)?!?...
Of course I sent them another support ticket telling this and requesting their UPS account number so that EVGA is charged directly...
Waiting again and not getting anything solved!
Now I am starting to get really upset about all this...

maxheadroom101
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/28 04:49:37 (permalink)
D1as23
So i got this reply:
"
We will refund your shipping costs of course, but you will have to send the item to us, can you please check the shipping costs from your end and let us know?
You will of course receive a new card for a RMA within 30 days, however the option of an advanced RMA without the security deposit unfortunately is not possible.
"
Why would I pay for afterwards to be refunded by EVGA if UPS can charge directly the Receiver (EVGA)?!?...
Of course I sent them another support ticket telling this and requesting their UPS account number so that EVGA is charged directly...

Dude, if it were me I'd just pay the postage and claim it back

Its been over 3 months since I decided to buy an FTW and between the non-existent stock 'soft launch' and a string of 100% BS cards I'm all about the path of least resistance now. I just want a working card and do be done with all this. I'm tired of talking to support. I don't even want an apology anymore

Be looking at MSI when Tesla gets released though yeah? :)
D1as23
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/28 04:53:25 (permalink)
maxheadroom101
D1as23
So i got this reply:
"
"

Dude, if it were me I'd just pay the postage and claim it back

Its been over 3 months since I decided to buy an FTW and between the non-existent stock 'soft launch' and a string of 100% BS cards I'm all about the path of least resistance now. I just want a working card and do be done with all this. I'm tired of talking to support. I don't even want an apology anymore

Be looking at MSI when Tesla gets released though yeah? :)

If they are not giving me their UPS account number so that they are charged directly, I'm considering to return it to Amazon for full refund (still can do it until 16 October) and just buy from another brand. Enough is enough.
Jordanluke
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/28 05:51:50 (permalink)
Avisari
Jordanluke
Avisari
Jordanluke they couldn't replicate the problem in testing, which I think is rubbish.  

Benchmarks doesn't trigger it, and IIRC stress testing doesn't either. Doubt any store will try gaming as a way of reproducing the error.

Heaven triggers it. What kind of testing would they do if not stress tests and gaming/benchmarks? It's pretty convenient for them to claim there's nothing wrong with the card, while EVGA is acknowledging the problem. Whatever their testing is, it's very one sided in favour of them. 

I see. From what I recall people have been doing benchmarks without error but it fails when gaming. Is it only Heaven that triggers it?
I don't doubt they would run benchmarks or stress tests, just gaming.
Though I guess stores differ when it comes to how thorough of testing they actually do.

World of Warcraft triggers it all the time for me. I tested it in Heaven set @ ultra in 1440p, went out and when I came back 1,5 hours later I had the BS 100% issue. 

I know they must have certain testing parameters, but I guess I'm just upset that I dropped £680 on this card, it's faulty - EVGA have acknowledged it, but they wouldn't even give me store credit or exchange it (without charging 10% restocking fee). Now waiting for my 3rd card through RMA, at least EVGA customer support is pretty painless. 

Jordanluke
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/28 06:01:43 (permalink)
mobsters
Azuna

Uhm what? GW2 is not being updated for factory OC cards? what is that? How you update game for OC cards? Normal cards that is not factory oc is fine in that game?

I don't understand this at all.

I agree, this can't be right. How can they even say that? What about all the other cards, brands out there that are factory overclocked. If it was widespread across all factory OC cards, maybe I could understand. But just the FTW is having issues and it's Guild Wars 2 that is at fault?! 

My 780ti is overclocked by 220mhz and I play GW2 without issue.
msweeney23
  • Total Posts : 43
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/28 11:34:58 (permalink)
Azuna

"...guild wars 2 not being updated for factory overclocked cards..."

That is the most ridiculous explanation I have ever heard.
EVGATech_ChrisB
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 2039
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/28 12:16:08 (permalink)
Dear Azuna,

I am very sorry for any confusion as it seems that the rep was likely confused.  I am reaching out to you directly through email so that we can have this resolved quickly to assist.

Azuna

EVGATech_ChrisB
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 2039
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/28 12:17:19 (permalink)
Dear D1as23,

Thank you for your posts.  I am looking into the availability for pickup or a prepaid UPS shipping label in your area and I will be responding to your shortly through email to try and help further.

D1as23
So i got this reply:
"
"

Maverick827
  • Total Posts : 29
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/28 16:49:31 (permalink)
I still can't figure out how my 1080 Hybrid fits back in the box to ship it back.  I've looked all over YouTube and can't find a 1080 Hybrid unboxing video to see how it comes packaged.  There are a bunch of 980 Ti Hybrid unboxings, but the box is completely different.  The 1080 comes in what is essentially a shoe box.

Does anyone have any ideas?
JPS2K5
  • Total Posts : 74
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/28 23:35:22 (permalink)
Maverick827
I still can't figure out how my 1080 Hybrid fits back in the box to ship it back.  I've looked all over YouTube and can't find a 1080 Hybrid unboxing video to see how it comes packaged.  There are a bunch of 980 Ti Hybrid unboxings, but the box is completely different.  The 1080 comes in what is essentially a shoe box.

If your email is the same as mine, it states that the product has to be properly packaged, without accessoiries. That means you don't have to fit it in the box.

Jordanluke
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/29 01:26:08 (permalink)
Maverick827

I would suggest you don't use the retail box at all. For my first RMA, I used a shoe box. I made sure to safely package up the card using bubble wrap then I padded around the gaps in the box with tissue paper. Just make sure it's well protected from any bumps and you should be fine. You might not get it back in a retail box anyway so you're better off keeping hold of it. 
maxheadroom101
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/29 02:26:53 (permalink)
2nd RMA arrived today. Initial observations are hopeful. Its a new card in a sealed box.
Serial number is higher:
Original: #1884
1st RMA: #2388
2nd RMA: #3995

Those diagonal-spaced chips visible through the backplate are a higher number
Original: 65k
1st RMA: 66k
2nd RMA: 67k 

I'll plug it in tonight and come back with any findings. Fingers crossed!
Jordanluke
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/29 02:59:26 (permalink)
maxheadroom101
2nd RMA arrived today. Initial observations are hopeful. Its a new card in a sealed box.
Serial number is higher:
Original: #1884
1st RMA: #2388
2nd RMA: #3995

Those diagonal-spaced chips visible through the backplate are a higher number
Original: 65k
1st RMA: 66k
2nd RMA: 67k 

I'll plug it in tonight and come back with any findings. Fingers crossed!

Would love to hear how you get on, cheers. I just want a smooth, fault free card back now so I can start making progress on Deus Ex. My 780ti cannot handle that game at 1440p!
ChiefLutra
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/29 03:04:02 (permalink)
First RMA arrived a few days ago. The good news is that, it seems EVGA Taiwan has the new batch of 1080 FTW cards which fixes the Blackscreen crash. My card arrived in a NEW (sealed) retail box with all the accessories that you would normally find. Also the card runs slightly faster than the original one. I don't overclock my graphics card but from the factory configuration it was faster than my old one (achievied 1975 mhz rather than 1942 mhz and 2 extra fps!).

On the back of the card, it seems that they have new Panasonic capacitors or voltage regulators? (whatever they are) as reported by other forum members and everything else seemed the same. 

Now the bad news.

The card ran fine for 2 days and it has now developed a fault. In fact it is now a dead card. My new computer does not boot up at all after it crashed whilst playing Overwatch and after a series of testing (PSU, Mobo, RAM) with my old computer, the new card is the culprit. Nothing has been touched/overclocked and it has just died whilst I was capping a point on Overwatch*sigh*. Temperature all seemed fine when I was monitoring it throughout the days I have received it. It was around 55 degrees C and at most 67 degrees C whilst playing Guild wars or Overwatch. 

No idea what happened. I am now waiting for support to reply whilst I play on my old graphics card and i'm going to guess I have to RMA it again. This is my first time purchasing a EVGA brand card after hearing good things about EVGA + customer support. They sure have great support than other brands but QC on their products? so far errrrr... I think I prefer to be with a company that offers good QC and mediocre customer support. 

I was fine with them admitting to some sought of issue with the card and accepting that RMA will be required to fix the issue but... another problem again? hmm...

Edit: Now I vented my anger on bubble wrap and catching up with the thread, Hello fellow GW players!  
post edited by ChiefLutra - 2016/09/29 03:40:18
msweeney23
  • Total Posts : 43
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/29 06:56:01 (permalink)
ChiefLutra

Now the bad news.

The card ran fine for 2 days and it has now developed a fault. In fact it is now a dead card

That sucks, I really am glad I decided to return the FTW and get the Gigabyte this time around - I mean the build quality is no where near as good but all these problems just scared me away from EVGA for now.

Hopefully they can get you a proper replacement =)
D1as23
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/29 10:08:40 (permalink)
EVGATech_ChrisB
Dear D1as23,

Thank you for your posts.  I am looking into the availability for pickup or a prepaid UPS shipping label in your area and I will be responding to your shortly through email to try and help further.

Thank so much for your support Chris, prepaid UPS shipping label received!
relevance
  • Total Posts : 91
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/29 11:18:13 (permalink)
dang, working FTW cards are rare I guess. I just ordered my 1080 FTW last friday. hope mine works with ease.
Solarin1116
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/29 16:05:49 (permalink)
ChiefLutra
First RMA arrived a few days ago. The good news is that, it seems EVGA Taiwan has the new batch of 1080 FTW cards which fixes the Blackscreen crash. My card arrived in a NEW (sealed) retail box with all the accessories that you would normally find. Also the card runs slightly faster than the original one. I don't overclock my graphics card but from the factory configuration it was faster than my old one (achievied 1975 mhz rather than 1942 mhz and 2 extra fps!).

On the back of the card, it seems that they have new Panasonic capacitors or voltage regulators? (whatever they are) as reported by other forum members and everything else seemed the same. 

Now the bad news.

The card ran fine for 2 days and it has now developed a fault. In fact it is now a dead card. My new computer does not boot up at all after it crashed whilst playing Overwatch and after a series of testing (PSU, Mobo, RAM) with my old computer, the new card is the culprit. Nothing has been touched/overclocked and it has just died whilst I was capping a point on Overwatch*sigh*. Temperature all seemed fine when I was monitoring it throughout the days I have received it. It was around 55 degrees C and at most 67 degrees C whilst playing Guild wars or Overwatch. 

No idea what happened. I am now waiting for support to reply whilst I play on my old graphics card and i'm going to guess I have to RMA it again. This is my first time purchasing a EVGA brand card after hearing good things about EVGA + customer support. They sure have great support than other brands but QC on their products? so far errrrr... I think I prefer to be with a company that offers good QC and mediocre customer support. 

I was fine with them admitting to some sought of issue with the card and accepting that RMA will be required to fix the issue but... another problem again? hmm...

Edit: Now I vented my anger on bubble wrap and catching up with the thread, Hello fellow GW players!  

This is exactly the situation that I am in. My first card was fraught by coil whine and the BS 100% issue. Amazon advanced RMA'ed me a new card and things were going fine for a few days. The new card still had an unacceptable amount of coil whine (especially in WoW). Last night when I started raid, my screens go black suddenly, but the fans did not spin up. Finding this odd, I look over at the card at just the right time to see the LEDs flicker and a large spark/fireball erupt from top of the card by the pci-e locking clip. Computer immediately dies, and I rush to shut off the power at the psu. Long story short, the card is toast and my computer is fine.

Amazon rep was cool enough to let me hold onto the first card which is earmarked for RMA and send back the dead one for a refund. There are no replacements on Amazon until the 6th assuming I want to stay with evga. This is ridiculous. Evga has always been a solid choice for me, but this is the worst experience with a card I have ever had.

Is anyone aware of other 1080 models that do not have coil whine? It is almost unbearable if the frame rate goes above 90 fps. I didn't buy a $700 card to limit frames on my games with vsync or rivatuner.
mobsters
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 132
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/29 20:02:43 (permalink)
Solarin1116
Is anyone aware of other 1080 models that do not have coil whine? It is almost unbearable if the frame rate goes above 90 fps. I didn't buy a $700 card to limit frames on my games with vsync or rivatuner.

Coil whine seems to be more or less normal these days. Like many other things.

AMD Ryzen 3700X / Asus X470 C7H / EVGA GTX 1080 SC / G.Skill 16GB Flare X DDR4 3200MHz CL14 / EVGA SuperNOVA 850w P2

Solarin1116
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/29 20:30:06 (permalink)
mobsters
Solarin1116

Coil whine seems to be more or less normal these days. Like many other things.

Mine is pretty bad. I would post a link to a video, but it is not working for some reason.

post edited by Solarin1116 - 2016/09/29 20:32:36
costersall
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/09/29 21:54:30 (permalink)
I just got my RMA replacement in Canada and it was a brand new sealed box and like posted before the only difference was plastic packing instead of foam. Played 3 hours or so of Rise of the tomb raider and so far so good. No idea about coil whine, not that I have noticed.
Page: << < ..3637383940.. > >> Showing page 36 of 54
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile