EVGA

GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100%

Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 41 of 54
Author
ElBartoME
  • Total Posts : 56
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/14 05:17:02 (permalink)
Daz1967
Well, I've paid the "security deposit", a staggering €769.99 (£722, which is £122 more than I paid for the card from Amazon!). I was expecting it to be £100 at most. 

Really not happy with having that amount stuck on my credit card while I await the replacement and eventual refund. It's not my fault that I bought a card with a design flaw and, IMO, EVGA should be replacing these using the Advanced RMA and without asking for its customers to pay a deposit upfront. I will certainly be more wary about buying graphics cards from EVGA in future.

That EVGA won't even ship in its own box is insulting enough, especially as they expect the card to arrive undamaged to get my money back. I might end up having to use the original box anyway which annoys me as I won't have a box for when I sell the card on.

And the email is not clear but am I expected to pay for the return postage costs as well to send my card back to EVGA or is it being picked up when the new one is delivered?

Same here. I paid 819€ for the deposit and the new card has the same problem! Now I have two broken cards here and I have to pay shipping for both back to EVGA?!
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102333
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/14 05:21:52 (permalink)
ElBartoME
Daz1967
Well, I've paid the "security deposit", a staggering €769.99 (£722, which is £122 more than I paid for the card from Amazon!). I was expecting it to be £100 at most. 

Really not happy with having that amount stuck on my credit card while I await the replacement and eventual refund. It's not my fault that I bought a card with a design flaw and, IMO, EVGA should be replacing these using the Advanced RMA and without asking for its customers to pay a deposit upfront. I will certainly be more wary about buying graphics cards from EVGA in future.

That EVGA won't even ship in its own box is insulting enough, especially as they expect the card to arrive undamaged to get my money back. I might end up having to use the original box anyway which annoys me as I won't have a box for when I sell the card on.

And the email is not clear but am I expected to pay for the return postage costs as well to send my card back to EVGA or is it being picked up when the new one is delivered?

Same here. I paid 819€ for the deposit and the new card has the same problem! Now I have two broken cards here and I have to pay shipping for both back to EVGA?!

I have referred your post to EVGA

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

ElBartoME
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/14 05:34:24 (permalink)
rjohnson11

I have referred your post to EVGA

Thanks! 
jaju123
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/14 06:20:48 (permalink)
I have a paypal error every time I try to pay the collateral. "This transaction couldn't be completed. Please redirect your customer to PayPal." and "PayPal API Error". Any ideas?

EDIT: I think it's due to the messed up Natwest debit card payments that are currently down...
post edited by jaju123 - 2016/10/14 07:43:51
nelliebub
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/14 09:11:26 (permalink)
ElBartoME
Daz1967

Why didn't you both just buy the next day air saver Advanced RMA plan for $44.99? WOul dhave saved you a lot of hassle and having a large $ lock on your CC. 

Also, for 1080FTW's, EVGA is doing free advanced RMA replacement (Ground shipping)to my knowledge. 

ElBartoME
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/14 09:30:26 (permalink)
nelliebub
ElBartoME
Daz1967

Why didn't you both just buy the next day air saver Advanced RMA plan for $44.99? WOul dhave saved you a lot of hassle and having a large $ lock on your CC. 

Also, for 1080FTW's, EVGA is doing free advanced RMA replacement (Ground shipping)to my knowledge. 

Because it is not available in the EU?
Daz1967
  • Total Posts : 92
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/14 10:08:02 (permalink)
ElBartoME
Daz1967

Sorry but you have to PAY to send the old card back to EVGA?!?!?

That's disgraceful IMO as if the ridiculous collateral payment and lack of a new box aren't bad enough. EVGA are really not setting a good example here IMO for post-sales support. The card would be still working fine if not for a defect so why are they not bending over backwards to replace these cards as conveniently as possible for the customer, either via a 1-2 day swap out at the door for no extra cost or like Amazon do by shipping the replacement at no extra charge and then allowing the customer 30 days to return the faulty item, again, at no extra cost.

Sure, I could have chosen the standard RMA option but I have no other graphics card so there's no way I could go without having my PC for a week or however long it would take for the replacement card to arrive.

I've emailed a complaint to EVGA as I feel that I am being unfairly treated. This whole issue seems like it is being swept under the carpet since there's been no official announcement about it or anything (which makes it very convenient for them when it comes to the RMA). It almost feels like it is my fault that I am having to return this card.

Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.0 GHz, ASUS Z87-DELUXE motherboard v2103, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1,600 MHz memory, 11 GB EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 graphics, Creative SB Sound Blaster Z sound, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 9 TB SATAIII hard drives, XFX Pro Black Edition 850 W, Windows 10 Pro v1703 64-bit
EVGATech_ChrisB
EVGA Tech Support
  • Total Posts : 2033
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/14 10:14:37 (permalink)
Dear cynique,

I am very sorry that you feel this way.  I can confirm that the update is a permanent change and that the card will not have the same issue in the future.  Please rest assured that the product is solid and can be used without issue.

I am here if there are any additional questions or concerns.   Chrisb@evga.com  

cynique
nautics889

no not really, you should be ok now. i believe most if not all have been fixed. i would still just call amazon or the affiliate that sold from amazon if that it were the revised version. and hopefully not a left over of defectives. and remember it was only a Small majority of cards. so yours may not be affected. 

Even if mine is a fixed one,it bothers me wether it will eventually perform this issue or not.I mailed to evga.eu and they replied mine was shipped out after sept 1 and should be fine.Though someone reported here a faulty one just like this

EVGATech_ChrisB
EVGA Tech Support
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/14 10:17:20 (permalink)
Dear ElBartoME,

I am very sorry to hear this and I am looking into this with my EU team.  I assure you that your request will be taken care of quickly and that we will of course cover all of the shipping costs to assist.

I will be sending you a email shortly and thank you for your patience throughout this process.  chrisb@evga.com  

ElBartoME
Got my RMA and I have the same problem again...I'm getting sick of this...

It's getting ridiculous. How can only a small portion of cards be affected when a lot of people had the same problem with their RMA cards as well? I was loyal to EVGA, but what good is a great customer service if the replacements are defective as well?

EVGATech_ChrisB
EVGA Tech Support
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/14 10:22:45 (permalink)
Dear Daz1967,

I am sorry for any confusion, but I can confirm that the collateral is fully refundable and you will receive the box with the replacement and this should be used to return your current card to avoid damage.

We of course will help with return shipping and we just need you to have a confirmation of the address to pickup the product (if available in your area) and this can be sent directly to me at chrisb@evga.com so that I can work with you.

Daz1967

EVGATech_ChrisB
EVGA Tech Support
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/14 10:26:12 (permalink)
Dear jaju123,

I am sorry for any confusion and I can confirm that this means that the payment was declined with PayPal.  If there is a issue with the bank then this would make sense.

jaju123
I have a paypal error every time I try to pay the collateral. "This transaction couldn't be completed. Please redirect your customer to PayPal." and "PayPal API Error". Any ideas?

EDIT: I think it's due to the messed up Natwest debit card payments that are currently down...

nelliebub
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/14 10:38:24 (permalink)
ElBartoME
nelliebub
ElBartoME
Daz1967

Because it is not available in the EU?

Oh. Sorry :( That sucks. I never bothered to read the fine print of availability. 

post edited by nelliebub - 2016/10/14 11:12:11
27-HOLLYWOOD
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/14 11:00:12 (permalink)
Indeed if you change the set VSYNC on-off. example.
tested in my PC
32gb ram DDR4 G-skill ripjaws4 2400
intel i7 5930k
480GB ssd crucial dmx
mb gigabyte g1 wifi gamin 2011 x99 + 3
vc 1080 gtx 8GB EVGA FTW
Defaul seting  EVGA Precision v 6.0.6- XOC 
game:
Battlefront 2016
180 FPS max setting (ultra) 1080p
temperature first 10 minutes playing. 60 ° and after an hour reaches 88 ° causing the "black screen and spin up 100% fun"
graphic setting in game:
vsync off

game:
Battlefront 2016
FPS 60 min and max avg max setting 61 (ultra) 1080p
38-40 ° constant temperature playing 6 hours
graphic setting in game:
vsync on (lock at 60 fps constant)
sofware
EVGA Precision 6.0.6 XOC v. activate the fan rpm and adjusted manually in 70% rpm.

Defaul seting video card and only chance in game vsync option ON
game:
Battlefront 2016
60 FPS max setting (ultra) 1080p
temperature constantesminutos playing three hours playing. 48-55-61 °
graphic setting in game:
vsync ON
sofware  EVGA Precision v 6.0.6- XOC setting default.

not leave me to account to send or request an RMA because I'm from chile and buy usa and I have to pay taxes in Chile on the other card that comes back to my country. I think for the next time ill waiting about 10 months when they go to buy new products and also see that they are stable.
post edited by 27-HOLLYWOOD - 2016/10/14 11:09:29
ElBartoME
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/14 11:21:54 (permalink)
27-HOLLYWOOD
tested in my PC
intel i7 5930k
480GB ssd crucial dmx
vc 1080 gtx 8GB EVGA FTW
game:
Battlefront 2016
temperature first 10 minutes playing. 60 ° and after an hour reaches 88 ° causing the "black screen and spin up 100% fun"
graphic setting in game:
vsync off

game:
Battlefront 2016
graphic setting in game:
sofware
EVGA Precision 6.0.6 XOC v. activate the fan rpm and adjusted manually in 70% rpm.

game:
Battlefront 2016
graphic setting in game:
vsync ON

not leave me to account to send or request an RMA because I'm from chile and buy usa and I have to pay taxes in Chile on the other card that comes back to my country. I think for the next time ill waiting about 10 months when they go to buy new products and also see that they are stable.

Battlefront always triggered the problem for me after about one hour. I got Vsync on and played on 1440p with out 90% GPU load. Temperature was about 50°C as I have a Hybrid. 
EVGATech_ChrisB
EVGA Tech Support
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/14 11:49:47 (permalink)
Dear 27-HOLLYWOOD,

I have requested that our office for your region contacts you to assist.  I assure you that we are here to help.

27-HOLLYWOOD
tested in my PC
intel i7 5930k
480GB ssd crucial dmx
vc 1080 gtx 8GB EVGA FTW
game:
Battlefront 2016
graphic setting in game:
vsync off

game:
Battlefront 2016
graphic setting in game:
sofware

game:
Battlefront 2016
graphic setting in game:
vsync ON

Sean1976
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/14 12:50:26 (permalink)
With my current driver installed 372.70 I cannot even get TimeSpy to finish a complete run due to unstable clocks.

Intel i5 8600k @5.3ghz with 1.450 Vcore
Asus ROG Strix-E GamingZ370 deck
Hyper 212 Evo Air After-Cooler
Evga 1080 GTX Founder's Edition@ 1987mhz core/5400mhz memory
G-Skill TridentX 3600mhz XMP4000mhz (2x8GB RGB)
1x Intel 540 series SSD 480GB
2x Intel 520 series SSD 240GB each(480GB)
2x Intel 535 series SSD 240GB each(480GB)
Corsair HX850 Watt Gold Psu
Antec Eleven Hundred v2 Carbon Fiber case w/ 9x 120mm fans
BenQ XL2420TE 144hz 1ms Lightboost/MotionBlur/ Gaming panel(1080p)TN
G15/G9 Logitech gear
 [URL=http://s1273.photobucket.com/user/SeanJ76/media/8600k%20new%20pics_zps2k125brl.jpg.html][/URL]

NetQvist
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/15 02:31:27 (permalink)
After 1,5 months or something with driver crash issues on week 2 (My gut knew this was the start of something worse) and forward the card finally went black screen and 100% fan in Rise of the Tomb Raider today, scared the **** out of me as well.

I actually thought everything was fine for once since it had gone without a driver crash for 20 hours or so but then this happens. I'm seriously disappointed in this card after having a very good Asus 980 Strix, gonna call my retailer and see if I can switch it out to another brand because this is just not acceptable.

So be warned, if you have driver crashes when the game changes from low to high usage it might be a indication that you'll get a black screen 100% fan later on.
post edited by NetQvist - 2016/10/15 04:26:11
Daz1967
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/15 05:41:56 (permalink)
EVGATech_ChrisB
Dear Daz1967,

I am sorry for any confusion, but I can confirm that the collateral is fully refundable and you will receive the box with the replacement and this should be used to return your current card to avoid damage.

We of course will help with return shipping and we just need you to have a confirmation of the address to pickup the product (if available in your area) and this can be sent directly to me at chrisb@evga.com so that I can work with you.

Daz1967

Thanks Chris. I've emailed you to confirm my address.

Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.0 GHz, ASUS Z87-DELUXE motherboard v2103, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1,600 MHz memory, 11 GB EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 graphics, Creative SB Sound Blaster Z sound, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD + 9 TB SATAIII hard drives, XFX Pro Black Edition 850 W, Windows 10 Pro v1703 64-bit
midlan
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/15 15:43:36 (permalink)
I have the same probelm (black screen, 100% fan speed) with my GTX 1080 FTW. Now I am deciding if I should return it to seller (in my country we can return goods bought trough eshop in 14 days) and pick up other GTX 1080 FTW or start RMA with EVGA. I am worried that the seller has defective series on stock, so there is big chance I would get another defective card.

Is there some way to determine that the card is defective from serial number?
NetQvist
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/16 01:33:35 (permalink)
All guessing on the serial number part and EVGA is refusing to let any official info out.

One thing you wanna be careful about is that if you RMA from EVGA you might be stuck in their circle after that and then you'll not be able to exchange the RMAed card with your seller after that. Myself I'm taking the seller route because due to the little info EVGA is giving out, going to try to exchange it for a MSI or ASUS to begin with so I never have this issue in the first place.
zyther
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/16 04:53:25 (permalink)
FljpFl0p
It looks like I got an old card though since the serial number is 2624 from factory 29 and I have the plastics stuck under the screw. Ma

The replacement they are sending me is also from factory 29 with a serial number a few higher then yours. How has the card behaved?
jaju123
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/16 09:59:53 (permalink)
zyther
FljpFl0p
It looks like I got an old card though since the serial number is 2624 from factory 29 and I have the plastics stuck under the screw. Ma

The replacement they are sending me is also from factory 29 with a serial number a few higher then yours. How has the card behaved?

From reading through this thread it seems you have better chances of getting a perfect card if you have a version from factory 29 and a serial number above 4000 or so (last 4 digits).
zyther
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/16 10:27:51 (permalink)
jaju123
zyther
FljpFl0p

From reading through this thread it seems you have better chances of getting a perfect card if you have a version from factory 29 and a serial number above 4000 or so (last 4 digits).

Hmm the new RMA card they are sending me is in the high 2000s. Will get it in the next few days.
jlp209
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 406
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/16 18:26:34 (permalink)
jaju123

Not necessarily true with newer cards. My card was purchased last week at Microcenter, factory 25 and last 5 digits of SN are 00495. Checked the chips on the back of the board and I see 673QK. My faulty one was 65-something on those chips. Also the plastic wrapping was over the screws on the card and not caught under them. No BS100% has popped up yet for me on this card. Also runs 3-ish degrees cooler under load than my old RMA replacement that I sent back, for what that's worth. Cautiously optimistic. Probably have stressed the card for a total of 10 hours so far. 

post edited by jlp209 - 2016/10/16 18:41:33

Asus ROG Strix Z390-I / i9 9900K @ 4.8ghz / Noctua NH-U12A / EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra / 32 gb G.Skill DDR4 3600 ram / Inland Premium 2TB NVMe SSD / WD 4TB SSD / LG 27GN950 4K 144hz monitor / Silverstone SX1000 PSU / Lian Li TU150 ITX case 
FljpFl0p
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/16 19:49:29 (permalink)
zyther
FljpFl0p

So far so good, nothing buggy has happened since but honestly I haven't tested it thoroughly. It's a little time consuming.

At this point, I'm pretty sure EVGA must have recalled the cards from the retailers and fix them and repackaged, considering the RMA one I got is definitely from one of the earliest batch with the stuck plastics. It's not like EVGA is just going to dump the entire card if it's faulty, so it's no surprise if you get a fixed card small serial number from factory 25.
jaju123
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/17 01:44:35 (permalink)
Anyone with a RMA open from the EU, please post when your card ships :) I hope early this week.
NetQvist
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/17 03:34:52 (permalink)
ziethriel
So my card was crashing like this with a GPU temp of 50c. I noticed the back plate was getting super hot. I just derped a large spare fan to blow air over the card. I haven't crashed since and my GPU is getting 70c+ and doing smart things like ramping up fans (default profile) and dropping the clock as it gets hotter.

Maybe the issue is that something else on the card is overheating, a component on the back of the PCB and the back plate is trapping in the hot air, and my case airflow just sucked.

Dropbox photo of derpy solution:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1olzkn19fwtle9h/2016-08-20%2015.28.52.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dvgdewgrlwxzdr3/2016-08-20%2015.29.02.jpg?dl=0

Edit: Wrong Link

Just as a thought since I can't really find a lot of people talking about this solution? How many of you people with repeatable crashes have AIO/water coolers and generally bad airflow over the top of the card? In my case I have a Noctua CPU cooler u14s or something as well as 2x noctua industrial 2000rpm blowing and one sucking just above the card. Wouldn't be surprised if my issue is way less evident because of the fact that I like to blow way too much air from the front...
Daz1967
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/17 05:12:52 (permalink)
NetQvist
All guessing on the serial number part and EVGA is refusing to let any official info out.

One thing you wanna be careful about is that if you RMA from EVGA you might be stuck in their circle after that and then you'll not be able to exchange the RMAed card with your seller after that. Myself I'm taking the seller route because due to the little info EVGA is giving out, going to try to exchange it for a MSI or ASUS to begin with so I never have this issue in the first place.

I really do wish that EVGA would issue an official statement on this issue so that people aren't left wondering if they are going to get another defective card.

At the moment, I'm a bit unclear if they are just sending out replacements in the hope that newer built ones are more reliable or if they really have fixed the issue and we are guaranteed working cards (seems not if ElBarToME's post is anything to go by). From this thread, it seems like a lottery as to whether you will get a card that is free of the issue and, in my case, this issue did not manifest itself until almost two months after I'd bought it so while it might appear you have a working card now, whose to say it won't develop the same issue in a month or two...?

I would have much preferred to have returned my card to Amazon as, IMO, they have by far the best support of any retailer I've dealt with and do not ask for insultingly large collateral payments upfront before they'll send a replacement out. Unfortunately, for me the GTX 1080 FTW is almost always out of stock on their website, which is why I had to wait almost two months to get mine in the first place.

I am still awaiting confirmation of when my card is going to be sent.

Daz1967
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/17 05:17:10 (permalink)
P.S. As luck would have it, I was playing games over the weekend and had not seen a single black screen issue...

The only thing I've done is change the default fan profile (which only turns the fans on above 65 C) to a custom one (40% baseline and from 40 C it ramps up 1% with each 1 degree C rise in temperature, e.g. 70 C = 70%.

Whatever, whether that is a "fix" or not, I have a new card coming but if I can gain some stability with the defective one while I wait then I am not going to complain.

NetQvist
Re: GTX 1080 FTW - Black screen & fans spin up to 100% 2016/10/17 05:19:33 (permalink)
Daz1967
NetQvist

I really do wish that EVGA would issue an official statement on this issue so that people aren't left wondering if they are going to get another defective card.

At the moment, I'm a bit unclear if they are just sending out replacements in the hope that newer built ones are more reliable or if they really have fixed the issue and we are guaranteed working cards (seems not if ElBarToME's post is anything to go by). From this thread, it seems like a lottery as to whether you will get a card that is free of the issue and, in my case, this issue did not manifest itself until almost two months after I'd bought it so while it might appear you have a working card now, whose to say it won't develop the same issue in a month or two...?

I would have much preferred to have returned my card to Amazon as, IMO, they have by far the best support of any retailer I've dealt with and do not ask for insultingly large collateral payments upfront before they'll send a replacement out. Unfortunately, for me the GTX 1080 FTW is almost always out of stock on their website, which is why I had to wait almost two months to get mine in the first place.

I am still awaiting confirmation of when my card is going to be sent.

Yeah my reseller accepted the RMA and I'm sending back my card this week, they want to do some of their own checking apparently. If they determine that the card has any faults I should be able to change it for another model so I'm kind of hoping for a Asus Strix OC or MSI Gaming Z even though they are more expensive. Worth it though compared to having suffer more uncertainty about what the real issue is.
Page: << < ..4142434445.. > >> Showing page 41 of 54
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile