EVGA

GTX960 install / color pallette issue

Author
swesterl
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/04/01 09:33:12 (permalink)
Installed a new GTX960 on an ASUS X99-Deluxe MoBo. First boot-up, display worked fine (BIOS screen displayed with gun metal format menu). Next boot-up, display is visible but color palette is magenta (BIOS screen / display is purple / magenta). Powered down PC, removed, re-seated GTX960 card and reset CMOS. Issue remains after re-boot. Any suggestion for troubleshooting?  

13 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: GTX960 install / color pallette issue 2015/04/01 10:45:30 (permalink)
    Try all available display ports on the card (hdmi, dvi, dp) to see if they all produce the same issue.
    swesterl
    Re: GTX960 install / color pallette issue 2015/04/01 11:55:31 (permalink)
    Thank you for the quick reply Sajin.

I am using DVI-I Connector + VGA adapter (included with EVGA card) to connect a VGA cable to the card and this is when I get unusual palette results.

When I swap out the DVI-I Connector + VGA adapter + VGA cable and use a DVI cable between the PC and the monitor, the colors display correctly. I also get correct color display when I use an HDMI connector. (I do not have a display port cable available to test those ports at this time.)  

Unfortunately,  I am using a KVM switch that only has VGA cable connectors, so I am not able to use straight DVI cabling (which is why I am using the DVI-I Connector + VGA adapter).

What I can't understand is why the DVI + VGA adapter worked properly the first time I powered up the PC but it stopped working correctly after re-starting the PC. Any thoughts?  
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: GTX960 install / color pallette issue 2015/04/01 12:28:16 (permalink)
    swesterl
    Thank you for the quick reply Sajin.

I am using DVI-I Connector + VGA adapter (included with EVGA card) to connect a VGA cable to the card and this is when I get unusual palette results.

When I swap out the DVI-I Connector + VGA adapter + VGA cable and use a DVI cable between the PC and the monitor, the colors display correctly. I also get correct color display when I use an HDMI connector. (I do not have a display port cable available to test those ports at this time.)  

Unfortunately,  I am using a KVM switch that only has VGA cable connectors, so I am not able to use straight DVI cabling (which is why I am using the DVI-I Connector + VGA adapter).

What I can't understand is why the DVI + VGA adapter worked properly the first time I powered up the PC but it stopped working correctly after re-starting the PC. Any thoughts?  

Hard to say. But in either case either you've got a bad connection somewhere. They have DVI-I to VGA dongles so you can eliminate an extra connection. So you'd just have the dongle from the GPU and the VGA cable to the KVM.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

swesterl
    Re: GTX960 install / color pallette issue 2015/04/01 13:34:03 (permalink)
    Tested EVGA DVI-I dongle + original VGA cable: get incorrect color output.
    Tested replacement DVI-I dongle + original VGA cable: get incorrect color output.
    Tested EVGA DVI-I dongle + replacement VGA cable: get incorrect color output.
    Tested replacement DVI-I dongle + replacement VGA: get incorrect color output.

Wouldn't this indicate there is a VGA connection issue with the DVI-I port on the card?
    SSimpson
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: GTX960 install / color pallette issue 2015/07/25 21:39:13 (permalink)
    swesterl
    Installed a new GTX960 on an ASUS X99-Deluxe MoBo. First boot-up, display worked fine (BIOS screen displayed with gun metal format menu). Next boot-up, display is visible but color palette is magenta (BIOS screen / display is purple / magenta). Powered down PC, removed, re-seated GTX960 card and reset CMOS. Issue remains after re-boot. Any suggestion for troubleshooting?  

I am having exact same issues (magenta color everywhere when using VGA cable and DVI adapter) with one BONUS problem.  For me the magenta is gone and the colors are fine with a DVI-D cable during bootup ONLY, but after the startup is over and windows starts taking over I lose all signal.  Not sure if HDMI would work but suspect not.

Would love to fix this problem.  Looking at a screen with that much magenta makes everything look a different color when you look elsewhere!
    TheWolf
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3800
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: GTX960 install / color pallette issue 2015/07/26 04:05:27 (permalink)
    SSimpson
    swesterl

I am having exact same issues (magenta color everywhere when using VGA cable and DVI adapter) with one BONUS problem.  For me the magenta is gone and the colors are fine with a DVI-D cable during bootup ONLY, but after the startup is over and windows starts taking over I lose all signal.  Not sure if HDMI would work but suspect not.

Would love to fix this problem.  Looking at a screen with that much magenta makes everything look a different color when you look elsewhere!

Check to see if your monitor has auto switching for display ports, one of mine does and at times I have had to manually set it to the correct connection port.
    When is wasn't picking the correct port I would get a blank or blacked out screen once it got into win7 OS. It would work correct in bios and dos boot.
    Also there are some configs within Win7 that can be configured but I don't recall those right off the top of my head or where they where located now.
    But I had SLi cards and was mostly where my problems came in. I found out later I could hook my TV up to the 2nd card and once it got into windows
    it would show my desktop on the TV, that's how I found out there where some options in I think it was the Nvidia software to make it pick the correct
    card to use as display.

EVGA Affiliate Code ZHKWRJB9D4 My HeatWare 

SSimpson
    Re: GTX960 install / color pallette issue 2015/07/26 05:53:17 (permalink)
    TheWolf
    SSimpson
    swesterl

Check to see if your monitor has auto switching for display ports, one of mine does and at times I have had to manually set it to the correct connection port.
    When is wasn't picking the correct port I would get a blank or blacked out screen once it got into win7 OS. It would work correct in bios and dos boot.
    Also there are some configs within Win7 that can be configured but I don't recall those right off the top of my head or where they where located now.
    But I had SLi cards and was mostly where my problems came in. I found out later I could hook my TV up to the 2nd card and once it got into windows
    it would show my desktop on the TV, that's how I found out there where some options in I think it was the Nvidia software to make it pick the correct
    card to use as display.

Thank you for the prompt reply.  Yes, I have buttons on my display that envoke Auto input detection.  I hit it several times during bootup and it seemed to detect DVI.  Once Windows takes over the signal is gone and I cannot envoke Auto detection anymore, but no reason is shouldn't still be on DVI.  I tried 2 displays with same results.

For some background, I am using a 4-year-old ACER computer that has onboard ATI graphics.  I did NO changes in my BIOS manually but settings look OK (onboard graphics disabled).  I still have ATI Catalyst Converter software on my system.  Doubt that matters but it's FYI.

I think you nailed the area of the problem when you mentioned Windows settings.  I booted in Safe Mode with the DVI cable and was able to maintain the signal to the display.  Could not do anything in Safe Mode to get useful info.  Wondering if this card uses analog signals during bootup (and safe mode), then switches to digital when Windows commands it?  Just thinking I may have a problem with digital signals only.

Many, many thanks,
    -Scot
    TheWolf
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3800
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: GTX960 install / color pallette issue 2015/07/26 06:59:02 (permalink)
    Well you could try uninstalling the drivers in safe mode and let it setup standard VGA drivers or just remove them complete then reboot and see if it will get into windows, if it does quickly stop the windows driver update and install the latest driver from Nvidia. It may go into windows with a standard VGA driver.

EVGA Affiliate Code ZHKWRJB9D4 My HeatWare 

SSimpson
    Re: GTX960 install / color pallette issue 2015/07/26 16:36:45 (permalink)
    TheWolf
    Well you could try uninstalling the drivers in safe mode and let it setup standard VGA drivers or just remove them complete then reboot and see if it will get into windows, if it does quickly stop the windows driver update and install the latest driver from Nvidia. It may go into windows with a standard VGA driver.

I did that today.  It works fine with the standard VGA driver but performance wasn't good (some games wouldn't play at all).  When I load NVIDIA drivers (I tried many versions) I get the same result, magenta screen with DVI/VGA adapter, or lost video when windows starts when using DVI-D cable.  Performance is good with NVIDIA drivers, but magenta color needs to go!

Some things that bug me:
    1. The GeForce has a DVI-I interface, but my monitor has DVI-D (holes for the 4 pins around the "slot" pin are not there in the monitor) so I have been using a DVI-D cable. 
    2. Maybe this card wont work with my Acer M3410 motherboard. 
    3. Everything is fine in Safe Mode (using DVI-D cable), so something between Safe Mode and normal boot is getting in the way.  I will try to clean off any junk my son has on this PC.

I'm not against building a new system since I'm almost halfway there with a new graphics card and power supply.

Appreciate the support here!  I'm about done with this problem one way or the other.  I know the problem is not with my card, so I'm not mad at it!  I'll keep it because I know it will be a great performer for many years.
    post edited by SSimpson - 2015/07/26 20:51:37
    SSimpson
    Re: GTX960 install / color pallette issue 2015/07/28 20:00:05 (permalink)
    FYI, I built a new system and the card did the same thing.  I could not believe it.  All signs pointed to Windows or a hardware compatibility problem.  If anyone has this issue do yourself a favor and get a new card before you try anything else.
    garza1985
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: GTX960 install / color pallette issue 2015/07/29 18:20:39 (permalink)
    I'm having a similar issue using the DVI to VGA adapter however, my screen is blue.  I've tried 3 different DVI to VGA adapters (all brand new) with 3 different monitors and 3 different VGA cables with the same result, BLUE.  
    I've done the Display Driver Uninstall and reinstalled the VGA drivers and still had the same issue.  I'm almost 100% sure that my card is FUBARd... Anyone else having this issue and find a fix?

Intel I7-4790K
    EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB
    Asus Maximum Hero VII
    16GB G-Skill Trident 2400MHZ
    Corsair Carbide Air 540
    Corsair H-100i
    Samsung EVO 250GB SSD
    Windows 8.1
    SSimpson
    Re: GTX960 install / color pallette issue 2015/08/06 08:38:04 (permalink)
    garza1985
    I'm having a similar issue using the DVI to VGA adapter however, my screen is blue.  I've tried 3 different DVI to VGA adapters (all brand new) with 3 different monitors and 3 different VGA cables with the same result, BLUE.  
    I've done the Display Driver Uninstall and reinstalled the VGA drivers and still had the same issue.  I'm almost 100% sure that my card is FUBARd... Anyone else having this issue and find a fix?

I totally recommend getting a replacement card.  You did all the steps you can do.  I had same problem but with magenta, not blue.  Guessing some pins are not the best of quality.
    Rangur
    Re: GTX960 install / color pallette issue 2015/08/06 18:12:23 (permalink)
    I had the same issue with a very strange blue/purple tint (not with an EVGA card). I am really sorry that I do not remember the specifics but I am pretty sure that
    your card is NOT broken and that a replacement card would behave the same way.

Unfortunately I have forgotten what exactly it was that I did to get rid of the tint, but my card was fine. I do know that it was not something obvious, but rather
    something obscure like changing the monitor/tv (in my case it was a LCD TV, not a PC monitor) input setting from DVI-I to DVI-D or vice versa, using another
    cable, using another DVI->VGA adapter or disabling the built-in CPU grafics in my i7 cpu. I hope you find a solution!
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile