EVGA

G-sync Issues Thread (for 700/Titan Series)

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Ntrain96
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1013
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: G-sync Issues Thread (for 700/Titan Series) 2014/09/14 10:30:00 (permalink)
gridironcpj
Sajin
Ntrain96
Sajin
Why are you trying to run G-Sync when benchmarking? All Sync options should be disabled when benching.

Gsync on vs no sync period scores are 100% negligible to non existant. If people really understood G sync they would understand it does nothing when benching. All it does it makes sure the monitors refresh is identical real time to the video cards render output.

If g-sync is enabled and you have your montior refresh rate set to 60Hz and you run 3dmark g-sync will not allow your FPS to go above 60FPS which will affect your scores big time. 

You are correct.  G-sync effectively becomes V-sync once you reach your refresh rate threshold. 

Actually incorrect again. On Gsync monitors, when the top refresh rate the monitor supports(120 or 144hz for the ASUS units)is active, the card will render as many frames as it can beyond that refresh rate and the monitor will lock into its top refresh rate during that time. Good example is the Heaven Benchmark. Ill hit over 150fps recorded on the Heaven Benchmark with the cards even though the refresh maxes at 144hz. Same with Diable III and SC II among other games.

But if you lower the monitors refresh rate to something less than the top refresh rate its capable of then the program will cap out many times.

Be aware there are a half dozen to a dozen settings in the NVCP that will affect Gsync, and if they aren't all selected properly you can have issues like you currently have with Fire Strike.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49181
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: G-sync Issues Thread (for 700/Titan Series) 2014/09/14 15:12:20 (permalink)
Ntrain96
Sajin
Ntrain96
Sajin
Why are you trying to run G-Sync when benchmarking? All Sync options should be disabled when benching.

Gsync on vs no sync period scores are 100% negligible to non existant. If people really understood G sync they would understand it does nothing when benching. All it does it makes sure the monitors refresh is identical real time to the video cards render output.

If g-sync is enabled and you have your montior refresh rate set to 60Hz and you run 3dmark g-sync will not allow your FPS to go above 60FPS which will affect your scores big time. 

Correct, if you have your monitor refresh capped OF COURSE your score goes down. But why in the world would you cap a high refresh rate Gsync monitor to begin with? You wouldn't. 

G-Sync acts just like V-Sync when it comes to refresh rate capping. You select 60Hz, it caps it at 60Hz, you select 120Hz, it caps it at 120Hz, you select 144Hz, it caps it at 144Hz. 

Here are my scores from running 3dmark11 with all sync options disabled inside the nvcp...

Graphics Test 1
166.59 fps

Graphics Test 2
226.67 fps

Graphics Test 3
280.53 fps

Graphics Test 4
128.37 fps

Physics Test
39.35 fps

Combined Test
49.76 fps

Am I going to get 166.59 fps, 226.67 fps & 280.53 fps in graphics tests 1-3 with G-Sync enabled set to 144Hz refresh rate? No, because g-sync acts like v-sync when it comes to refresh capping. 
Ntrain96
FTW Member
Re: G-sync Issues Thread (for 700/Titan Series) 2014/09/14 15:44:57 (permalink)
Sajin
Ntrain96
Sajin
Ntrain96
Sajin

Correct, if you have your monitor refresh capped OF COURSE your score goes down. But why in the world would you cap a high refresh rate Gsync monitor to begin with? You wouldn't. 

G-Sync acts just like V-Sync when it comes to refresh rate capping. You select 60Hz, it caps it at 60Hz, you select 120Hz, it caps it at 120Hz, you select 144Hz, it caps it at 144Hz. 

Here are my scores from running 3dmark11 with all sync options disabled inside the nvcp...

Graphics Test 1
166.59 fps

Graphics Test 2
226.67 fps

Graphics Test 3
280.53 fps

Graphics Test 4
128.37 fps

Physics Test
39.35 fps

Combined Test
49.76 fps

Am I going to get 166.59 fps, 226.67 fps & 280.53 fps in graphics tests 1-3 with G-Sync enabled set to 144Hz refresh rate? No, because g-sync acts like v-sync when it comes to refresh capping. 

No and this is where your 100% wrong. In fact it was explained months ago by Nvidia techs that Gsync does not "cap" at a monitors native refresh rate. But when you lower the refresh rate(like 60hz)then programs will be capped depending on NVCP settings. G-sync works from 30hz refresh rate up to whatever your monitors top refresh rate is. Beyond that tests will aloow fps to go well beyond the monitors refresh rate. I know because I literally am part of the first beta testers for the G sync tech and have been running it since last December and know the ins and outs of how to properly set it up, unlike some others.

But hey feel free to swing over to the Nvidia community board and tell some of the people there how G sync acts like v sync and caps at the native refresh rate in the way you explained it. It will allow for some great laughs and responses.
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: G-sync Issues Thread (for 700/Titan Series) 2014/09/14 16:27:26 (permalink)
I just ran 3dmark11 with G-Sync on at 144Hz refresh rate using my PG278Q and G-Sync limited my FPS to 142 to 144FPS on graphics tests 1-3. Looks like you're wrong. Go test it for yourself. Tell me i'm right when you see it for yourself. 
chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7220
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: G-sync Issues Thread (for 700/Titan Series) 2014/09/14 19:45:17 (permalink)
Sajin
I just ran 3dmark11 with G-Sync on at 144Hz refresh rate using my PG278Q and G-Sync limited my FPS to 142 to 144FPS on graphics tests 1-3. Looks like you're wrong. Go test it for yourself. Tell me i'm right when you see it for yourself. 

Exactly! But, we all just have our NVCP configured incorrectly... Yet, of course, he can't tell us how. 
Ntrain96
FTW Member
Re: G-sync Issues Thread (for 700/Titan Series) 2014/09/15 05:10:25 (permalink)
Sajin

Funny, I get in the 200fps range. Again, something is set wrong on your end. Most likely in the NVCP too.........so common.

THe only other reason I can think of is the monitor being used. I use the original VG248QE 24" monitor with the DIY self install G sync kit. Unless the control module acts differently between the 2 monitors, I can go well north of 144fps recordings on benchmarks because when the framerates go north, g sync basically disengages and the program runs uncapped like V sync is disabled. Again there are about a dozen things that need to be checked off.

Lastly, you do have to be in SINGLE MONITOR PERFORMANCE MODE. If your running mixed multi monitor setups toss quite a few statements I made out the window.
post edited by Ntrain96 - 2014/09/15 05:16:09
Ntrain96
FTW Member
Re: G-sync Issues Thread (for 700/Titan Series) 2014/09/15 05:11:15 (permalink)
chrisdglong
Sajin

Exactly! But, we all just have our NVCP configured incorrectly... Yet, of course, he can't tell us how. 

Actually I did state what to make sure is clicked off in the NVCP, poor reading skills.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: G-sync Issues Thread (for 700/Titan Series) 2014/09/15 05:17:10 (permalink)
So much fighting. LoL. I can't wait for the g-sync sets to mature and become more affordable.
bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10347
  • Ribbons : 116
Re: G-sync Issues Thread (for 700/Titan Series) 2014/09/15 07:44:17 (permalink)
I did some testing running the Heaven Benchmark and Gsync on my Rog Swift monitor.  I had to turn the settings down quite a bit for my single card to push frames high enough to see if they could exceed the refresh rate of 144 fps during the runs.

What I found was that the benchmark itself showed my "max fps" as 149.8, yet PrecX recorded a max of 143 fps.  Most of the run, PrecX showed a pretty steady 143 and the benchmarks fps counter was showing 143.6 pretty steady.

I left the game/benchmark profile in the nvcpl set to defaults except to test the difference between using "single display perf mode" vs "multi display perf mode".  My results between the two settings were the same.  It made no difference.  BTW, I am/was running two display's at the time of testing.

So you can draw your own conclusions from this.

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: G-sync Issues Thread (for 700/Titan Series) 2014/09/15 17:29:40 (permalink)
Ntrain96
Sajin

Funny, I get in the 200fps range. Again, something is set wrong on your end. Most likely in the NVCP too.........so common.

THe only other reason I can think of is the monitor being used. I use the original VG248QE 24" monitor with the DIY self install G sync kit. Unless the control module acts differently between the 2 monitors, I can go well north of 144fps recordings on benchmarks because when the framerates go north, g sync basically disengages and the program runs uncapped like V sync is disabled. Again there are about a dozen things that need to be checked off.

Lastly, you do have to be in SINGLE MONITOR PERFORMANCE MODE. If your running mixed multi monitor setups toss quite a few statements I made out the window.

Sounds like your DIY G-Sync kit isn't working. Only things changed in the NVCP are... Single display performance mode is set, Prefer maximum performance is set, Preferred refresh rate is set to highest available.
Ntrain96
FTW Member
Re: G-sync Issues Thread (for 700/Titan Series) 2014/09/16 06:50:06 (permalink)
Sajin
Ntrain96
Sajin

Sounds like your DIY G-Sync kit isn't working. Only things changed in the NVCP are... Single display performance mode is set, Prefer maximum performance is set, Preferred refresh rate is set to highest available.

Unless they made a change in the Gsync hardware on the Asus monitor vs. the DIY Gsync kit for the 248QE, thats how they are supposed to operate. On my kit when the GPU's render frames over 144hz(fps), the benchmarks still record higher fps. Gsync works correctly on my monitor too, since I run SLI, I get no tearing or stuttering and the monitor tells me which mode I am in(gsync/normal/refresh rate etc)automatically on the fly. One of the biggest benefits of Gsync is that it eliminates all the artifacts that used to be associated with running multiple gpu cards. 2 or more cards now act and display identical as to running a single card.
gridironcpj
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 387
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: G-sync Issues Thread (for 700/Titan Series) 2014/09/16 23:51:25 (permalink)
Ntrain96
gridironcpj
Ntrain96
gridironcpj
Sajin
gridironcpj
Sajin

I turned it off, but the performance still takes a hit.  Read my previous reply.

So you're saying you lose 1000 3dmark points just by using the PG278Q even though G-Sync is disabled when running the benchmark? This does not occur when running the PB278Q? Correct?

Yes, the performance loss is massive (IMO) in the graphics score.  With the PB278Q as the only display and PG278Q disconnected from the PC, my graphics score is around 22,500 (my max is a little more).  With the PG278Q plugged in (even if it's not even being used), the graphics score drops to roughly 20,000.  My overall score drops about 1,000 as a result.  It appears that, at least from my experiences with 2 different Operating Systems, G-sync causes a performance hit, even if it is not enabled.  It occurs when it is available as an option in NVCP, which only can be the case when a G-sync monitor is plugged into the PC.  Now, obviously this performance hit isn't the end of the world if you're already hitting 100-144FPS average in a game.  However, for games that dip down near 60, they will be dipping even lower. 

By the way, Battlefield 4 is now running properly for me with Rivatuner running in the background (likely due to having a clean OS or different OS).  The performance on Windows 8.1 is fabulous for Battlefield 4, as I'm hitting higher FPS on 2560x1440 than I was at 1920x1080 (I used to take a bigger hit).  G-sync will lower the FPS a little, but it is still always above 100 on most maps.  There is still slight stuttering, but this is an issue with Battlefield 4 itself.

If your using 8.1, that's an issue right there. NVCP itself does not always run properly, and a lot of the times it will hang/not respond when trying to make changes.........and many times the changes will NOT take effect properly either when you refresh. 8.1 sucks STILL IMO. Yep you gain a bit of performance in BF4(which is still negligible over Win 7 x64...........but in a lot of other games Win 8.1 actually performs no better or even worse than Win 7 x64. And if your using Nvidia's 3d vision............forget about it............

Did you not read my posts in this thread?  I tested G-sync on two different operating systems: Windows 7 and 8.1.  The issue remains the same, regardless of the OS.  You can't say that the performance gain in BF4 is negligible when going from Windows 7 to 8.1 because my experience contradicts that.  Also, please note the difference between "your" and "you're."

Well then there is user ERROR somewhere on your part then if you tested with 2 different OP systems. Fire Strike works uncapped when the NVCP is set correctly under windows 7 with Gsync? Need a video?

And yes, the BF4 difference between WIndows 7 and 8 is negligible. 5% difference which is the reality on BF4 or a few FPS is negligible, the difference in reality cannot be picked up by the naked eye regardless of what the FPS counter records. If you can't physically see the difference, then its classified as negligible to me.

As for grammar, relax chief, if that is something that bugs you, then its obvious you spend too much time with TPS cover sheets. 

How is there user error if I happened to upgrade my operating system around the same time I upgraded my monitor?  Upgrades often happen around the same time span.  My Fire Strike score with my PG278Q plugged in (it doesn't matter if it's even active as a primary or secondary display) can't surpass 17,000.  However, if I unplug it and have my PB278Q as the primary display, my score is around 18,000.  The main difference is the graphics score, which can be 2,000+ less with the PG278Q plugged in.  When a G-sync monitor is connected, G-sync becomes an option in the NVCP.  When this option is available, my performance decreases in all GPU-intensive applications.  You have a different monitor and completely different hardware components than I do, so it's very possible that our experiences would be different.  Hell, maybe you have the same issues as I do and you're simply not detail-oriented enough to notice or test it yourself.

Once again, your Battlefield 4 claim is baseless.  Battlefield 4's Windows 8.1 boost has a lot of variance, depending on hardware.  Some folks experience a smaller performance increase than others.  I just told you that I'm getting higher FPS at 2560x1440 on Windows 8.1 with the same quality settings than I did under 1920x1080 with Windows 7.  That's a VERY noticeable increase in performance.  There is also significantly-less FPS variance, which is attributed to less GPU utilization on Windows 7.  Your notion of negligible is not consistent with what most enthusiasts would agree upon.

Poor grammar, especially at that level, is rather pathetic and you should aim to work on that.  People are taken more seriously when they submit coherent, well-constructed, and grammatically-correct posts.

GPU: RTX 3090 KINGPIN | CPU: R9 5950X 4.7GHz @ 1.21V | Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) 3733MT/s 14-14-14-28 1T | Mobo: Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | Storage: WD SN850 2TB & Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB| Primary Display: ROG PG27UQ 4K 144Hz HDR 1000 | Chassis: Phanteks Enthoo Elite | PSU: EVGA 1600 T2
Ntrain96
FTW Member
Re: G-sync Issues Thread (for 700/Titan Series) 2014/09/17 16:29:45 (permalink)
gridironcpj
Ntrain96
gridironcpj
Ntrain96
gridironcpj
Sajin
gridironcpj
Sajin

I turned it off, but the performance still takes a hit.  Read my previous reply.

So you're saying you lose 1000 3dmark points just by using the PG278Q even though G-Sync is disabled when running the benchmark? This does not occur when running the PB278Q? Correct?

Yes, the performance loss is massive (IMO) in the graphics score.  With the PB278Q as the only display and PG278Q disconnected from the PC, my graphics score is around 22,500 (my max is a little more).  With the PG278Q plugged in (even if it's not even being used), the graphics score drops to roughly 20,000.  My overall score drops about 1,000 as a result.  It appears that, at least from my experiences with 2 different Operating Systems, G-sync causes a performance hit, even if it is not enabled.  It occurs when it is available as an option in NVCP, which only can be the case when a G-sync monitor is plugged into the PC.  Now, obviously this performance hit isn't the end of the world if you're already hitting 100-144FPS average in a game.  However, for games that dip down near 60, they will be dipping even lower. 

By the way, Battlefield 4 is now running properly for me with Rivatuner running in the background (likely due to having a clean OS or different OS).  The performance on Windows 8.1 is fabulous for Battlefield 4, as I'm hitting higher FPS on 2560x1440 than I was at 1920x1080 (I used to take a bigger hit).  G-sync will lower the FPS a little, but it is still always above 100 on most maps.  There is still slight stuttering, but this is an issue with Battlefield 4 itself.

If your using 8.1, that's an issue right there. NVCP itself does not always run properly, and a lot of the times it will hang/not respond when trying to make changes.........and many times the changes will NOT take effect properly either when you refresh. 8.1 sucks STILL IMO. Yep you gain a bit of performance in BF4(which is still negligible over Win 7 x64...........but in a lot of other games Win 8.1 actually performs no better or even worse than Win 7 x64. And if your using Nvidia's 3d vision............forget about it............

Did you not read my posts in this thread?  I tested G-sync on two different operating systems: Windows 7 and 8.1.  The issue remains the same, regardless of the OS.  You can't say that the performance gain in BF4 is negligible when going from Windows 7 to 8.1 because my experience contradicts that.  Also, please note the difference between "your" and "you're."

Well then there is user ERROR somewhere on your part then if you tested with 2 different OP systems. Fire Strike works uncapped when the NVCP is set correctly under windows 7 with Gsync? Need a video?

And yes, the BF4 difference between WIndows 7 and 8 is negligible. 5% difference which is the reality on BF4 or a few FPS is negligible, the difference in reality cannot be picked up by the naked eye regardless of what the FPS counter records. If you can't physically see the difference, then its classified as negligible to me.

As for grammar, relax chief, if that is something that bugs you, then its obvious you spend too much time with TPS cover sheets. 

How is there user error if I happened to upgrade my operating system around the same time I upgraded my monitor?  Upgrades often happen around the same time span.  My Fire Strike score with my PG278Q plugged in (it doesn't matter if it's even active as a primary or secondary display) can't surpass 17,000.  However, if I unplug it and have my PB278Q as the primary display, my score is around 18,000.  The main difference is the graphics score, which can be 2,000+ less with the PG278Q plugged in.  When a G-sync monitor is connected, G-sync becomes an option in the NVCP.  When this option is available, my performance decreases in all GPU-intensive applications.  You have a different monitor and completely different hardware components than I do, so it's very possible that our experiences would be different.  Hell, maybe you have the same issues as I do and you're simply not detail-oriented enough to notice or test it yourself.

Once again, your Battlefield 4 claim is baseless.  Battlefield 4's Windows 8.1 boost has a lot of variance, depending on hardware.  Some folks experience a smaller performance increase than others.  I just told you that I'm getting higher FPS at 2560x1440 on Windows 8.1 with the same quality settings than I did under 1920x1080 with Windows 7.  That's a VERY noticeable increase in performance.  There is also significantly-less FPS variance, which is attributed to less GPU utilization on Windows 7.  Your notion of negligible is not consistent with what most enthusiasts would agree upon.

Poor grammar, especially at that level, is rather pathetic and you should aim to work on that.  People are taken more seriously when they submit coherent, well-constructed, and grammatically-correct posts.

I can tell you right now that if your getting higher FPS at 2560x1440p than you are at 1080p regardless of Win 7 or Win 8.1 there is a major issue with your config setup, or you are not taking into account identical settings minus resolution. I would love to see screen shots/video of you getting higher fps at a resolution nearly double in pixel count with all things being equal regardless of win 7 or 8.1.

Its a proven fact that with hardware being equal 8.1 gives about a 4-5% fps boost over win 7(but is also more erratic in that minimum fps drops are greater as well)for BF4 when using average fps as the metric.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile