EVGA

Geforce GTX 660Ti FTW 3GB - Artifatcs in Unreal, CTD in Borderlands 2.

Author
Freezeronias
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/05/24 05:13:13 (permalink)
Hello everyone,

I'm starting to get annoyed with my graphic card. I have a strange behaviors on certain games, mostly the demanding ones (Borderlands 2, Unreal 3, Grid 2).

On unreal, I get white artifacts all over the graphic textures.
Borderlands 2, crashes to desktop whenever PhysX are on medium (not even high).
Grid 2 get lockdowns every now and then...

From Precision X, it doesn't seems that there is a temperature issue (card never exceeded 70°C without Precision X and 65°C with it, when I stepped up the fan curve as I find it a little too slow to rev up for my taste). I have tried every drivers available, never pushed the card for OC (only what EVGA as already done to it from factory). Upgraded my RIG... Motherboard, cpu, memory, psu and audio... and still the same.

Looks like 660 series has various issues all over. Anyone got any suggestions ?

My Rig:

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Memory: Kingston HyperX Beast Memory 2400 16GB (2x8GB)
PSU: Corsair AX860i (Digital/Full Modular) Platinum 90+ Certified
VGA: Geforce GTX660Ti FTW Edition 3GB
Hard Drives: 3xWestern Digital Black Edition 6Gb/s (500GB + 640GB + 1TB)
Audio: Creative Soundblaster ZxR
Airflow + Mounting: 3x12 Enermax TB Silence + 2x14 Enermax TB Silence + 2xFan Filters (14) + Silicone Rivet Fan Mounts Anti-Vibratio

9 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Geforce GTX 660Ti FTW 3GB - Artifatcs in Unreal, CTD in Borderlands 2. 2014/05/24 13:56:32 (permalink)
    Try downclocking the card to see if it helps resolve the issue...

Set both GPU Clock Offset & Mem Clock Offset to -105 using the latest version of precision x. If you can't set both to -105 using the latest version of precision x download the older version here.

NOTE: Make sure to uninstall the latest version of precision x before installing the older version, you must select "NO" to saving profiles & reboot the PC before installing the older version, you will need to follow these steps again when re-installing the latest version.

If downclocking the card helps resolve your issue you should RMA the card as it's defective. 
    vcustomer
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 126
    Re: Geforce GTX 660Ti FTW 3GB - Artifatcs in Unreal, CTD in Borderlands 2. 2014/05/25 14:27:26 (permalink)
    there are some problems with recent drivers
    eventually some better ones will surface

Gomez99
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2637
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Geforce GTX 660Ti FTW 3GB - Artifatcs in Unreal, CTD in Borderlands 2. 2014/05/25 16:30:14 (permalink)
    Have you gone as far back as the 332 drivers? Also if the downclocking helps it is RMA time for your card

Freezeronias
    Re: Geforce GTX 660Ti FTW 3GB - Artifatcs in Unreal, CTD in Borderlands 2. 2014/05/27 14:30:54 (permalink)
    Downclocking as suggested is actually helping (sigh)... The issue is persistent even with low temps (as 50°C on Unreal on ULTRA 1920x1080, and the damn cooling system not upping at all (as nVidia [or EVGA] thinks that's too low to rev up the fan). Updated the drivers as today and still the same. Anyone knowing a 3xx driver known to work flawlessly on a GTX660 Ti, so to be sure before RMAing the card?

Thanks already for the suggestions that have been made.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Geforce GTX 660Ti FTW 3GB - Artifatcs in Unreal, CTD in Borderlands 2. 2014/05/27 14:34:04 (permalink)
    Sounds like you need to RMA.
    Gomez99
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2637
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Geforce GTX 660Ti FTW 3GB - Artifatcs in Unreal, CTD in Borderlands 2. 2014/05/27 17:15:25 (permalink)
    For most people, the best driver (In terms of stability) are the 332 WHQL Drivers

Freezeronias
    Re: Geforce GTX 660Ti FTW 3GB - Artifatcs in Unreal, CTD in Borderlands 2. 2014/08/24 02:28:20 (permalink)
    Description: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti FTW+ 3GB w/Backplate
    RMA ID: 363101
    RMA Number:  543214001564
    RMA Received:  Received On: 08/11/2014
    Shipping Status:  Shipped On: 08/12/2014 - Tracking Number: 1Z0091Y26863310260

Shipping Out Option Selected: Ground
    Part Number Out: 03G-P4-3668-KR
    Next Step: RMA Complete

I just got back from my holidays and I just received the replacement card for my RMA.
    I am doing a freaking disappointed face all over... Card with a lot of scratches and hard bezel stickers ****ed up (mine was like freaking out of the box, with no cosmetic wears), my freaking computer is living showcase also for clients.
    No reasons explained as for the problems that occurred, and what was the course of action for it... (refurbished I supposed and not repaired). Just a freaking get your card back. Sorry, but yeah, I got butt hurt and will switch over all together to another brand and for less money...
    The 660 goes for sell at a killing price.
    GeorgeP
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re: Geforce GTX 660Ti FTW 3GB - Artifatcs in Unreal, CTD in Borderlands 2. 2014/08/31 23:03:49 (permalink)
    Hello,

When it comes to artifacting there are other factors that can be effecting the card, Unstable power flow through the 12v can cause the system to artifact, coil whine or even cause the system to shut down and reboot.
    One-I would recommend  highly recommend on checking if the PSU is providing consistent power with the card installed. Go into your BIOS and look for the +12v reading, this is typically under 'PC Health Status', System Monitor, Hardware Monitor'. A healthy reading (official ATX spec) is between 11.4 - 12.6v, and stable. However, different brands have different tolerances for overvolting and under volting, if it is outside 11.9v and 12.30v, or if you observe consistent fluctuations of more than .05 volts then this may be a sign of concern for a degraded or failing +12v rail. However, BIOS will only show you an idle reading. Please let us know the values that are being reported, if they are fluctuating and if they are, by how much and how often.
    Two.- Also checking the memory is also key when finding the issue for artifacting, the voltage and latency on your memory would be another area to consider, make sure they are set to the manufactures spec within the bios. The spec can be found on the side of the memory itself.  Also reverting back to stock is a safe practice to implement.
    Lastly Another thing you would want to try is to test it in another computer whether it be a friend or family member's computer. This will give you a better idea of what may be causing the issue, whether it be the video card or another component in your system.
    Freezeronias
    Re: Geforce GTX 660Ti FTW 3GB - Artifatcs in Unreal, CTD in Borderlands 2. 2014/09/22 12:59:50 (permalink)
    The setup was not rebuild, and I do not know if the card does the same. I just don't care and I am trying to get rid of it...

The facts are that:
    1. No description and course of action was described or reported to me as of the issue and the solution that had been applied.I paid the "extra" euro to get an above than average card that will not fail over "normal gaming" session (and why not, at all, considering the previous cards that were not EVGA hold up there bargain for a loooooong time, as the predecessor of nVidia official for example which had a frakking good support & service system).
    2. Paying the extra buck to get the card back for the RMA, would have made the "plus" to get a better graphic card... paying for repairs (even the courrier) is absolutely bad over some products that shows their bad history after all (the forum is crawling with 660 issues).
    3. The latter is that I payed for a good product, and expect to have a good product, not a refurbished one (but obviously the marketing rules have changed lately in the world), and I am not saying that this is a refurbished one, as they haven't notified me what exactly happen...

Working as a tech is a hell of a mess lately and BTO's are overall unpleasant to make, for such things to happen again and again, as product quality are deteriorating at fast speed in exchange for "cheaper" products. Hell my 1st BTO handmade is still running at great pace for it's age even if has breath of a living dead, 13 years and still kicking. Even cosmetic wear isn't important anymore... would you not complain getting back your car with the exterior scratched and in a mess when you would have gone and gave it for repair? I don't think so... so why wouldn't it be the same for a graphic card supposedly repaired by a prestige company as the nVidia official partner?

Yeah, I'm a bitter man, but a slightly perfectionist one and perfection is just for the people that really want it. Sorry for the long post.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile