RhaXiel
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/08/26 10:08:36 (permalink)
Hi,
I recently built a new PC with the following specs:
    Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz 6MB Cache Quad-Core Desktop Processor
    WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache 
    EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW 3GB
    MSI ATX DDR3 2600 Z97-G55 SLI
    Thermaltake Smart Standard 650W 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V 2.3 Power Supply SP-650P
    Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL9 @1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin
    And wireless peripherals
I've been trying to play Final Fantasy a Real Reborn (Runs Excelent on max configuration)
But after some time (usually 60 seconds in game) the sound starts to sound crispy and after some seconds, image goes black, sound dies forever, and video works ultra buggy, and sometimes goes black again, videos won't run on media players and so.

Same happened on starcraft II, Diablo III, Dota 2.
Restarting windows makes it work again, but same thing happens If I try again.

I've read some threads pointing a new PSU but  none of the points to the one I have, Is the PSU fine for this configuration?

I plan to add 8GB more Ram, a 120GB SSD and a wacom.

I also read somewhere about a changing some values in the windows TDR registry.

Check the 2nd bullet point called TdrDelay in the below list (click the link)
I increased this value to 30 i think and that resolved the issue for me (the default value is 2)
-Response from another forum-
Which seems posible as well.

I'm at work and can't try the solutions right now, but this is annoying since I imported the pieces and I don't think I can't ask for a replacement in case it's a factory flaw.

All my drivers are completely updated.

Nothing is overclocked/underclocked or changed in any way since I installed it.

Any ideas or help on this?

Regards

16 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Help with EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW 3GB 2014/08/26 10:57:14 (permalink)
    Is your motherboard bios fully up to date?
    Are you sure your running the latest sound drivers?
    Did you perform a Express (Recommended) installation or Custom (Advanced) installation of the video drivers?
    RhaXiel
    Re: Help with EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW 3GB 2014/08/26 11:01:52 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply,

I just remembered I haven't updated my BIOS yet.
    I am running the latest sound drivers, but I noticed something yesterday, I plugged in my headphones but I only had 1 output (I'm currently using HDMI only as video/audio output) but audio kept outputing through the hdmi and not the headphones.

I installed the drivers by downloading them from the MSI page on the support tab of my motherboard.

I made an express installation of video drivers.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Help with EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW 3GB 2014/08/26 11:07:17 (permalink)
    RhaXiel
    Thanks for the reply,

I just remembered I haven't updated my BIOS yet.
    I am running the latest sound drivers, but I noticed something yesterday, I plugged in my headphones but I only had 1 output (I'm currently using HDMI only as video/audio output) but audio kept outputing through the hdmi and not the headphones.

I installed the drivers by downloading them from the MSI page on the support tab of my motherboard.

I made an express installation of video drivers.

No problem. When you get home update your motherboard bios to the latest version and perform a Custom (Advanced) installation of the latest video drivers, when performing the Custom (Advanced) installation of the video drivers make sure to uncheck all options but PhysX, also make sure to check mark perform a clean installation. Test and report back after doing so.  
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Help with EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW 3GB 2014/08/26 11:08:01 (permalink)
    Go into the sounds setting, in control panel, and make sure you select your headset so that it doesn't go through HDMI.
    RhaXiel
    Re: Help with EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW 3GB 2014/08/26 11:08:25 (permalink)
    Thanks, I will and post back to you when done!

RhaXiel
    Re: Help with EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW 3GB 2014/08/26 19:30:02 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Did you perform a Express (Recommended) installation or Custom (Advanced) installation of the video drivers?

I updated and did as you described. audio now is fine, now I got my game freeze after a short time in game.
    Audio keeps on playing, game responds after a while. no crash so far but game is frozen and unplayable. :/

Edit. Same thing but now it doesnt crash completely, only freeze the game. something that I noted is that the more objects rendered on screen crispier the sound becomes and the freeze level becomes. if I alt + tab on the game and go back, audio and video comes back to normal for a short while. Like if I have to clean the video memory or something manually for it to work.

Any Ideas?

Edit 2

Everything works wonderfull when the audio dies. so aparently I have to decide between being deaf or being blind.
    post edited by RhaXiel - 2014/08/26 20:21:14
    _JamesR
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 253
    Re: Help with EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW 3GB 2014/08/26 20:34:09 (permalink)
    At this point, I would suggest testing this card in another computer and seeing if the same issues occurs there; this would help eliminate any potential issues with software or even other hardware in your current build by testing it outside that environment. If that option isn't available, try testing your system with a spare, known working video card.

If you find that the card is still experiencing issues, feel free to contact EVGA support at 888-881-EVGA (3842) or send an email to support@evga.com and we'll do what we can to help.

EVGA Z97 Classified w/ i7 4790 | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Elite | 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0 | EVGA 1000w G2 | Samsung EVO 840 120GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Seagate 3TB | 3x WD 2TB (Raid-5) | Corsair H100i GTX | 3x Asus VS278P-Q 27" 1080p 1ms GTG monitor (surround) | 1 Monoprice 28" 4K 5ms GTG (accessory)
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Help with EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW 3GB 2014/08/26 22:42:40 (permalink)
    RhaXiel
    Sajin

I updated and did as you described. audio now is fine, now I got my game freeze after a short time in game.
    Audio keeps on playing, game responds after a while. no crash so far but game is frozen and unplayable. :/

Edit. Same thing but now it doesnt crash completely, only freeze the game. something that I noted is that the more objects rendered on screen crispier the sound becomes and the freeze level becomes. if I alt + tab on the game and go back, audio and video comes back to normal for a short while. Like if I have to clean the video memory or something manually for it to work.

Any Ideas?

Edit 2

Everything works wonderfull when the audio dies. so aparently I have to decide between being deaf or being blind.

Try the following...

#1 Set your RAM manually inside the BIOS. The frequency, timings & voltage set inside the BIOS should match the JEDEC stickers on the sides of your RAM modules.

#2 Perform a clean boot of windows.

#3 Test & Report back. 
    RhaXiel
    Re: Help with EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW 3GB 2014/08/27 08:45:54 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JamesR
    At this point, I would suggest testing this card in another computer and seeing if the same issues occurs there; this would help eliminate any potential issues with software or even other hardware in your current build by testing it outside that environment. If that option isn't available, try testing your system with a spare, known working video card.

If you find that the card is still experiencing issues, feel free to contact EVGA support at 888-881-EVGA (3842) or send an email to and we'll do what we can to help.

Testing on another pc or testing a spare part is not possible, I have none available.

I tryed this:
    -Disabled the motherboard audio device.
    -Set the video card hdmi audio as default.
    -Set the game on standard quality (I spected to run the game in max quailty with my current configuration though)
    I have same framerate output on max and standard, the only diference is that crash time in max is like 60 seconds and in standard is like 2 hours.
    -Played with no issues for like 2 hours, but at some points, for seconds, the problem appeared again, once it froze my entire PC and had to restart.
    -Restarted and resume playing, I felt asleep while playing, when I woke up my pc was turned off, I didn't actually turned it off.

Sajin
    RhaXiel
    Sajin

Any Ideas?

Edit 2

Try the following...

#1 Set your RAM manually inside the BIOS. The frequency, timings & voltage set inside the BIOS should match the JEDEC stickers on the sides of your RAM modules.

#2 Perform a of windows.

#3 Test & Report back. 

I'll try this when I get home and post back to you.

I hope that the problem this ram configuration or the psu, replacing the video card is kind of hard since I imported it with a carrier company.

Returning it will incurr in high fees for me since I don't live in the US.
    RhaXiel
    Re: Help with EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW 3GB 2014/08/28 07:43:00 (permalink)
    Tryed the RAM thing, same thing happened.
    The only thing that I could find was that I cannot change the RAM volts. it's labeled as 1.5 V. and Its configured to 1.488 V.

I'm having suspects about the UPS I have my pc connected to. Is it posible for a UPS (capacity configuration, etc) to affect the pc at some point relating to my current problem?

I checked the window event viewer and found that on almost every crash I have a critical Kernel.power tag.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Help with EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW 3GB 2014/08/28 10:11:44 (permalink)
    RhaXiel
    Tryed the RAM thing, same thing happened.
    The only thing that I could find was that I cannot change the RAM volts. it's labeled as 1.5 V. and Its configured to 1.488 V.

I'm having suspects about the UPS I have my pc connected to. Is it posible for a UPS (capacity configuration, etc) to affect the pc at some point relating to my current problem?

I checked the window event viewer and found that on almost every crash I have a critical Kernel.power tag.

Yes, try without the UPS if you can.
    RhaXiel
    Re: Help with EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW 3GB 2014/09/05 21:49:09 (permalink)
    Hi, havent had time to come back and update on this, tryed without ups, same thing but longer time before it crash. tryed lowering the clock frequency on the card by 25, crash got delayed and only audio crashes. It appears my power supply is defective, or at least that's the conclusion I have, I see the peaks that form before audio crashing on MSI Afterburner and I gethigh peaks on GPU load before it actually crash.

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: Help with EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW 3GB 2014/09/05 22:15:18 (permalink)
    What are your cpu and gpu temps like when your playing the games etc....? How do you have Afterburner setup for the gpu? Can you check your idle and load voltages with a multimeter? Or use CPUID HWmonitor free edition and tell us what your voltages look like at the least? How old is the psu?

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    RhaXiel
    Re: Help with EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW 3GB 2014/09/08 21:04:08 (permalink)
    wmmills
    What are your cpu and gpu temps like when your playing the games etc....? How do you have Afterburner setup for the gpu? Can you check your idle and load voltages with a multimeter? Or use CPUID HWmonitor free edition and tell us what your voltages look like at the least? How old is the psu?

After it had crashed twice.

The PSU is new.
    WKLAU
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re: Help with EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW 3GB 2014/09/09 12:42:10 (permalink)
    From your posts,  the problem always starts off with running a game.  And things degrade from there,  where you aren't able to play any videos/shows outside games and you have to restart your PC.

If you boot up your comp and only watch a fullscreen video or maybe youtube in fullscreen,  does the issue also come up eventually?
    ganzosrevenge
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 169
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Help with EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW 3GB 2014/09/09 21:09:13 (permalink)
    This is going to be a REALLY weird question, but hear me out.

Is this Power Supply a multi-rail PSU, and you happen to have the CPU and the GPU on the same rail?  If that's the case, you may be stressing out one of the rails to where it's going "I can't power this!".  I'd like to see a breakdown of each of the rails (3.3v, 5v, 12v rails, -12v, 5vsb).  It could be as simple as moving the GPU to another 8-pin PCI-E connector (especially if the PSU is semi-modular or modular).

Jason

DESKTOP: CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 350D | ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE | Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-2400 11-13-13-31 RAM | EVGA GTX 1080 CLASSIFIED - 8GB GDDR5X RAM (2,560 Cores / 256-Bit) Driver: 368.81| 256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Seasonic SS-1050 XP3 | Dell UP2414Q 4K IPS Monitor| Swiftech H220-x Liquid Loop | Win10 Build 14901

LAPTOP: Sager NP8265-S | Intel Core i7-4800mq @ 2.7GHz | 32GB DDR3-1600 11-11-11-28 RAM | nVidia GTX 780m - 4GB GDDR5 RAM (1,536 Cores / 256-bit) Driver: 368.81 | 1TB 850 Pro SSD | BLURAY ROM | 95% Adobe 1080p MATTE SCREEN | Win10PRO x64 Build 14901
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile