Welcome new comers!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
yodap
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4642
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 8
Re: Welcome new comers! 2014/01/07 10:01:04 (permalink)
I have 2 gpu's crunching on a W7 machine but needed to add an XML file to do it. Check out this.

http://www.gpugrid.net/fo...&nowrap=true#26948

If you are trying to crunch on 3, let us know if it works.

Khalifrio
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 897
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Welcome new comers! 2014/01/11 12:35:47 (permalink)
Not sure if this is the right place to ask questions or not. I am looking to move over to Boincs/Wold Computing Grid from F@H and joining your team. Lets just say you can ignore and stonewall me only so long before I vote with my feet. My desktop has two WU's and my laptop has one to finish up before the light go dark.

The problem I am running into is the flood of info about Boincs and trying to sort it out looking for info that applies to me. Maybe all of you can help me out.

I am running a i5-3570k, 32 GB ram, GTX 680, with Win 8. Now, should I upgrade to Win 8.1 before installing the Boincs software?

Seems like there is a issue with Win 8 and I need to use Boincs version 7.0.64 or 7.2.33. Which is recommended? Do I need the Vitrual Box add on in the 7.2.33 version?

The laptop is easier since its running Win 7.

Thanks in advanced for any help you can provide.

cokeman54
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 962
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Welcome new comers! 2014/01/11 13:48:43 (permalink)
Khalifrio
Not sure if this is the right place to ask questions or not. I am looking to move over to Boincs/Wold Computing Grid from F@H and joining your team. Lets just say you can ignore and stonewall me only so long before I vote with my feet. My desktop has two WU's and my laptop has one to finish up before the light go dark.

The problem I am running into is the flood of info about Boincs and trying to sort it out looking for info that applies to me. Maybe all of you can help me out.

I am running a i5-3570k, 32 GB ram, GTX 680, with Win 8. Now, should I upgrade to Win 8.1 before installing the Boincs software?

Seems like there is a issue with Win 8 and I need to use Boincs version 7.0.64 or 7.2.33. Which is recommended? Do I need the Vitrual Box add on in the 7.2.33 version?

Like you I have moved to the dark side (crunching). I am using world community  grid on my CPU and primegrid on my GPU(for the contest) then back to Gpugrid. Use latest manager and unlike FAH you get to select what projects and then what task from the project. WCG only has a few at this time that are not finished projects and by checking more boxes on their site gives you more tasks. There is a much larger selection than FAH and the important thing is to select team [link=mailto:crunching@EVGA]crunching@EVGA[/link] . This may help http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=1678975. I am on Ubuntu and windows 7 so can not answer as to windows 8.

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5208
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: Welcome new comers! 2014/01/11 15:09:59 (permalink)
Khalifrio

I always go with the latest BOINC manager/client version wise.  Virtual Box isn't needed if the BOINC client is stable.  This isn't FAH so keep it simple or the (KISS) analogy works well here.

BOINC and Crunching isn't as delicate as FAH and more of a set it and forget it thing.  Only the OS is a bear and that requires a little research.  Win 8 is new so they'll be some hiccups but not anywhere near what FAH would experience.

Other than that welcome to the team!  I'm one of the co-captains here and our previous (retired but still helpful type co-captains like AB and Punchy and others will chime in).

Glad to have you aboard and thanks for joining our team. 

cokeman54
SSC Member
Re: Welcome new comers! 2014/01/11 15:18:59 (permalink)
Khalifrio

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php Here is the link for the latest Boinc manager that works with windows 8 and 8.1. You do not need the Virtual Box

Khalifrio
SSC Member
Re: Welcome new comers! 2014/01/12 11:13:06 (permalink)
Thanks for the input folks. I have the latest, not the beta/unstable, version up and running as of today. Since its my Birthday it was a good day to make a change like this. At least it makes it easier to remember when I did make the change when some one asks in the future.  I currently have WCG and Poem running. It looks like Poem went nuts and loaded me down with a huge stack of jobs. I might have to rethink running Poem.

Does my GPU drivers make a difference in crunching like it did for F@H 15 and 17 WU's? I had to roll back my Nvidia drivers a while back because my PPD went into the toilet. This had the secondary effect of making my games look terrible.

cokeman54
SSC Member
Re: Welcome new comers! 2014/01/12 12:01:59 (permalink)
Khalifrio
Thanks for the input folks. I have the latest, not the beta/unstable, version up and running as of today. Since its my Birthday it was a good day to make a change like this. At least it makes it easier to remember when I did make the change when some one asks in the future.  I currently have WCG and Poem running. It looks like Poem went nuts and loaded me down with a huge stack of jobs. I might have to rethink running Poem.

Does my GPU drivers make a difference in crunching like it did for F@H 15 and 17 WU's? I had to roll back my Nvidia drivers a while back because my PPD went into the toilet. This had the secondary effect of making my games look terrible.

Drivers not anywhere as bad as FAH as crunching not as stressful. Another post was testing drivers but that is a work in progress. Happy Birthday and welcome to the dark side (crunching)

Khalifrio
SSC Member
Re: Welcome new comers! 2014/01/12 13:09:35 (permalink)
I just noticed the client will run a project for a set time then change to another. Not sure I like that idea. I changed the switch between applications setting from 120 minutes to 600. Is there a setting to have the client run a project until its done then move on to the next one?

cowboy2199
  • Total Posts : 64
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Welcome new comers! 2014/06/03 05:39:34 (permalink)
Hey yall! I started crunching abotu a week or 2 ago, and I don't know how to discern these numbers, but on the BOINC Manager I see this option of "Switch between applications every __ minutes". It's got a default of 60. Does it really work like Khalifrio says in the previous post? 

Also, I have twin GTX 570's (sorry they aren't EVGA cards LOL) and I just want to make sure my utilization is optimal. Some help with this would be nice. I liked F@H in this way because it designated projects to each component like 0 GPU, 1 GPU, and a CPU project. 

Need some understanding on how this thing is working. 

Thanks..

System:
Ryzen 5600X (Auto OC via Ryzen Master)
EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra (Stock Speeds)
Asrock Extreme4 X570
Seasonic Focus 850w PSU
Boot Drive: Kingston NV1 1TB NVME 

Khalifrio
SSC Member
Re: Welcome new comers! 2014/06/03 10:02:50 (permalink)
Welcome to the team! I just started running with two GPU's myself. In my case it's a mismatched pairing with a GTX 680 and a 780 Ti. A real good source of information on Boinc and GPU's would be the forums over at GPU Grid.

http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_index.php

I asked the same question you just did not long ago so here is the answer I got from linuxrouter.

Yes, you can do this. In the following folder, create a file called cc_config.xml.

C:\ProgramData\BOINC\

In this file, you can exclude GPUs for specific projects and applications within a project. Here is an example.

<cc_config>

<use_all_gpus>1

<exclude_gpu>
http://www.gpugrid.net
<device_num>1

<exclude_gpu>
http://www.primegrid.net
<device_num>0

<exclude_gpu>
http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu
<device_num>0
NVIDIA
hsgamma_FGRP3

<exclude_gpu>
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
<device_num>0
NVIDIA
astropulse_v6

In the above example, all GPUGrid applications are setup to run only on GPU 0. All PrimeGrid applications, Einstein hsgamma_FGRP3, and Seti astropulse_v6 applications are setup to run only on GPU 1. In addition, the use_all_gpus flags tells BOINC to run on all GPUs in a mixed GPU environment. After creating the cc_config.xml file, you need to go into BOINC Manager and under the Advanced menu, select Read config files. Alternatively, you can read the cc_config.xml file from a command prompt by going to C:\Program Files\BOINC and typing boinccmd --read_cc_config.

cowboy2199
Re: Welcome new comers! 2014/06/03 12:00:33 (permalink)
Great! Thanks for the info.

I think in this aspect, FAH is much easier to deal with, basically because I don't write code. I can fix anything with a computer if I can adjust settings in menus and what-not, but I don't write code. 

Time to learn my something new for the day. Wish me luck!!!

System:
Asrock Extreme4 X570
Seasonic Focus 850w PSU

Khalifrio
SSC Member
Re: Welcome new comers! 2014/06/03 14:01:21 (permalink)
Yeah, I agree. FAH does GPU management better than Boinc. Supposedly Boinc is working on a better GPU control interface but it did not make it into the latest version for some reason.

unclegregy
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 200
Re: Welcome new comers! 2014/06/03 14:28:03 (permalink)
Khalifrio
Yeah, I agree. FAH does GPU management better than Boinc. Supposedly Boinc is working on a better GPU control interface but it did not make it into the latest version for some reason.

Yes, I would love to see Boinc give users greater control of how projects run, such as specifically telling it to run X number of cores on Project A and Y number of cores on Project B and doing the same with GPUs.  Maybe even build in an easy way to bunker so you can download and process tasks without uploading the results.  Currently I get around these drawbacks by opening multiple Boinc managers and adjusting the CPU usage.

cowboy2199
Re: Welcome new comers! 2014/06/03 15:16:18 (permalink)
Ok so I did this:

<cc_config>
<options>
<use_all_gpus>0</use_all_gpus>
<exclude_gpu>
<device_num>0</device_num>
</exclude_gpu>
</options>
</cc_config>

I saved it as cc_config.xml and it seems to be working as I can actually use my computer while crunching now. However one of the tasks (Milkyway@Home) is still showing using GPU 0 and it's running. I did the whole read config thing, and I even restarted BOINC to make sure it wasn't just stuck. 

Any thoughts on that?

On a side note... MW@H and SETI@home have assigned a crap load of tasks to my computer. I mean like 2 months worth of work. Damn..

System:
Asrock Extreme4 X570
Seasonic Focus 850w PSU

Khalifrio
SSC Member
Re: Welcome new comers! 2014/06/03 15:59:25 (permalink)
You need to go into your Boinc manager and click on tools at the top left and select computing preferences. Then go to the second tab, network preferences. On that page look for minimum work buffer and maximum additional work buffer. I have mine set like this, minimum work buffer 0.1, maximum additional work buffer 0.2. Those setting will get you a couple hours of work and let you send it back to meet most projects quick return bonus if they have one. At this point I think only GPU Grid offers a bonus if you return the work in 24 hours or less.

I have seen instances where Boinc ignores these setting and goes with what ever setting you have set up for each project via your account on their website. I suggest you set it up there as well to save from having Boinc and the project preferences fighting for control if they are different. Just go to your account page at the project and set up the Computing Preferences option on that page using the same settings.

cowboy2199
Re: Welcome new comers! 2014/06/03 19:15:12 (permalink)
Ah yes I forgot about that. I should probably adjust that down, just a bit. LOL
post edited by cowboy2199 - 2014/06/03 19:16:31

System:
Asrock Extreme4 X570
Seasonic Focus 850w PSU

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile