Ebola coming to a state near you.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Author
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/12 14:05:36 (permalink)

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18926
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/12 14:51:02 (permalink)

Members of an NBC News crew who worked with a cameraman who contracted Ebola in Liberia have been quarantined, New Jersey health officials said on Saturday.

Officials said the order was issued late Friday after the crew members violated an agreement to voluntarily confine themselves. They said none of the team has exhibited symptoms of the often fatal disease since returning from Liberia, one of three West African countries at the epicenter of the outbreak.

The NBC News crew had agreed with health officials to stay in their homes after returning to the United States but then failed to do so, Donna Leusner, a spokeswoman for the New Jersey Department of Health, said in a statement.

The mandatory quarantine will ensure the group remains confined until Oct. 22, the end of a 21-day maximum incubation period for Ebola, Leusner said.

http://news.yahoo.com/jersey-officials-order-symptom-less-nbc-news-crew-163935231.html

What a bunch of asshats. I hope NBC fire them. The more I think about it, the more pi55ed I get.. how irresponsible can you be? They should be charged criminally, if they don't die from ebola first.

post edited by Nereus - 2014/10/12 14:55:00

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5208
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/12 15:07:19 (permalink)
I'm constantly amazed at how stupid some folks are.  Good lord!

clo007
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5274
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/12 16:15:15 (permalink)
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
You guys should watch this. Its a fantastic AMTV documentary about Ebola. I just love how Christopher Green always makes you think and I just love how he always asks the tough question that the coward mainstream media is to cowardly to ask. But all in all this is VERY SERIOUS friends so we should not take this lightly at all.

Sorry, but that 'documentary' should be labeled
Ebola - The Truth About the Outbreak (Conspiracy Theory)

Some more of his great works:
Ebola a Covert Operation to Wipe Out Millions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6yy0b-k_Sc

CONSPIRACY: Why does the CDC own a Patent on Ebola?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALsOWR0ZcyA

Christopher Greene is trying to be the next Alex Jones.

post edited by clo007 - 2014/10/12 16:24:05

HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4805
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/14 03:38:46 (permalink)
This Ebola outbreak is being called the “most severe, acute health emergency seen in modern times“, and the U.S. health care system is completely and totally unprepared for it.  The truth is that most U.S. hospitals are simply not equipped to safely handle Ebola patients, and most hospital staff members have received little or no training on Ebola. There is a reason why Ebola has been classified as a biosafety-level 4 (BSL-4) pathogen.  It is an extraordinarily dangerous virus, and there are only a few facilities in the entire country that are set up to safely handle such a disease.

The Ebola patient that recently died in Dallas was the first to be cared for in a facility that did not follow biosafety-level 4 protocols.  And so it should not be a surprise that this is the facility where transmission happened
Of the six Ebola patients treated in the U.S. before the health worker’s case, Duncan was the only one not treated at one of the specialized units in several hospitals around the country set up to deal with high-risk germs. The CDC’s director, Dr. Thomas Frieden, has said that any U.S. hospital with isolation capabilities can care for an Ebola patient. But his stance seemed to soften on Sunday, when asked at a news conference whether officials now would consider moving Ebola patients to specialized units.
“We’re going to look at all opportunities to improve the level of safety and to minimize risk, but we can’t let any hospital let its guard down,” because Ebola patients could turn up anywhere, and every hospital must be able to quickly isolate and diagnose such cases, he said.

The head of the CDC continues to underestimate the seriousness of this disease.  His opinion that just about any U.S. hospital can safely handle Ebola patients is being contradicted by a whole host of medical experts, including ABC News chief health and medical editor Dr. Richard Besser
Besser said he does not agree with the Centers for Disease Control, which says any U.S. hospital can safely care for an Ebola patient. “To do it safely, health care workers need to train and practice using protective equipment like they have been doing at the Emory and Nebraska facilities,” he said, referring to special biocontainment units at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta — where Fort Worth physician Kent Brantly was treated for Ebola exposure; and the Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, where an NBC photojournalist is currently being cared for. “I would never have gone into an Ebola ward in Africa without being dressed and decontaminated by experts — health care workers here should expect no less.”   

And even if our hospitals had the proper equipment and hospital staff were being given proper BSL-4 protective clothing, the reality of the matter is that most of them have not received adequate training.  Just check out the following excerpt from an NBC News article that was posted this week…
Three out of four nurses say their hospital hasn’t provided sufficient education for them on Ebola, according to a survey by the largest professional association of registered nurses in the United States. National Nurses United has been conducting an online survey of health care workers across the U.S. as the Ebola outbreak has widened globally. After a Texas nurse who cared for the first patient diagnosed with the Ebola in the U.S. tested positive for the virus Sunday, the group released its latest survey findings. Out of more than 1,900 nurses in 46 states and Washington D.C. who responded, 76 percent said their hospital still hadn’t communicated to them an official policy on admitting potential patients with Ebola. And a whopping 85 percent said their hospital hadn’t provided educational training sessions on Ebola in which nurses could interact and ask questions.   

WND is reporting that there is only one BSL-4 care facility in the entire nation that is available to treat the general public…
Have you wondered why Ebola patients are being sent to Omaha, Nebraska? It’s because one physician, Dr. Philip Smith, had the foresight to set up the Nebraska Biocontainment Patient Care Unit after the Sept. 11 attacks as a bulwark against bioterrorism. Empty for more than a decade, used only for drills, it was called “Maurer’s Folly,” for Harold Maurer, former chancellor of the University of Nebraska Medical Center. The unit has a special air handling system to keep germs from escaping from patient rooms, and a steam sterilizer for scrubs and equipment. It could handle at most 10 patients at a time, but one or two would be more comfortable, owing to the large volume of infectious waste. It is the largest of only four such units in the U.S., and the only one designated for the general public.  

If this virus gets loose inside the United States it could easily become the worst health crisis our nation has ever seen.
The key is to keep the virus from getting into our country in the first place. Banning air travel for non-essential personnel to and from Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia would not be that big of a deal.  Many other countries have already done it. But the CDC and the Obama administration are not even considering it. If they have made the wrong call on this, it could end up potentially costing a large number of Americans their lives.

kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8755
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/14 07:46:07 (permalink)
Obesity is the worst health care emergency of our time.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/14 09:05:06 (permalink)
kaninja
Obesity is the worst health care emergency of our time.

I understand where your coming from because more people die from that than Ebola. But Obesity is a controllable problem compared to Ebola. Its just people need to stop being so lazy and change their lifestyles thats all.

kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/14 09:23:51 (permalink)
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
But Obesity is a controllable problem compared to Ebola. Its just people need to stop being so lazy and change their lifestyles thats all.

Figure out a way to do that and you will save healthcare trillion$ over the next 50 years.  Don't get me wrong, Ebola is deadly, scary, and gross.......but since this thread started close to 30,000 people have died from obesity related metabolic diseases.....while how many have died from Ebola?  Ebola is completely containable, and Canada has developed a vaccine that has shown to 100% stop transmission of Ebola in animals.  Human trials have begun in the U.S. of this VSV-EBOV vaccine.  Vaccine trials will also be taking place in other countries.  Hopefully these trials will prove the vaccine safe for humans. 

In the meantime, everyone wash your hands with warm water and soap for at least 30 seconds, and don't touch your face unless you have just washed your hands.  Wash before and after eating, and BEFORE and after going to the bathroom.....and for Heaven's sake don't touch, hang around, or play with the recently deceased.
post edited by kaninja - 2014/10/14 09:24:57

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/14 16:31:36 (permalink)

Heard on the radio briefly this afternoon that a doctor said it has now become airborne.

W.H.O. now saying we could be seeing 10,000 new cases a week by the end of the year, and mortality rate has risen to 70%. 

post edited by Nereus - 2014/10/14 16:34:08

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 23174
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/14 16:43:02 (permalink)
At the moment I'm more worried about hippo attack. My goal in life is to keep away from blood borne pathogens. It's just a nitpick I have. It's not going to magically change with Ebola.

Death by hippo: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/12/hippos-kill-nearly-3000-people-a-year_n_1143202.html

kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/14 16:55:50 (permalink)
Nereus

Heard on the radio briefly this afternoon that a doctor said it has now become airborne.

W.H.O. now saying we could be seeing 10,000 new cases a week by the end of the year, and mortality rate has risen to 70%. 

It is not airborne and the chances of it ever becoming airborne are extremely small.

Ebola is dropletborne and can transmit through secretions of bodily fluids.

Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/14 16:58:07 (permalink)
Nereus

If "someone" said it was, who is that someone and what are their credentials to be spreading such information. Credibility is optional in the internet age. Just ask Hazmat, he'll quote anything. 
post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2014/10/14 16:59:30
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/14 18:50:50 (permalink)

Seriously? Guys it's a virus - they mutate. This is not the only strain of ebola ever, just the current one.

I did not note down who said about the airborne possibility, I was in Manhattan and overheard it in passing on a car radio about some doctor *today* coming out and saying he thinks it might be / becoming airborne. That's it. It was a radio guy saying it but no idea what station etc., but they did say a doctor and inferred he wasn't just some quack but a respected doctor in the field.

Also looking via google tonight I am seeing some doctor involved with research or heading one of the research labs is saying this strain seem to be increasingly concentrated, meaning a droplet of bodily fluid contains a lot more of the virus than earlier strains.

As mentioned previously, W.H.O. are also saying there may be up to 10,000 new cases a week by the end of the year, and mortality rate has increased to 70% now.

The internet age.. what has that got to do with anything? BTW, why are you so set on trashing every comment here? Denial doesn't make it go away you know...

post edited by Nereus - 2014/10/14 18:52:34

kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/14 20:29:21 (permalink)
Nereus

Seriously? Guys it's a virus - they mutate. This is not the only strain of ebola ever, just the current one.

I did not note down who said about the airborne possibility, I was in Manhattan and overheard it in passing on a car radio about some doctor *today* coming out and saying he thinks it might be / becoming airborne. That's it. It was a radio guy saying it but no idea what station etc., but they did say a doctor and inferred he wasn't just some quack but a respected doctor in the field.

Also looking via google tonight I am seeing some doctor involved with research or heading one of the research labs is saying this strain seem to be increasingly concentrated, meaning a droplet of bodily fluid contains a lot more of the virus than earlier strains.

As mentioned previously, W.H.O. are also saying there may be up to 10,000 new cases a week by the end of the year, and mortality rate has increased to 70% now.

The internet age.. what has that got to do with anything? BTW, why are you so set on trashing every comment here? Denial doesn't make it go away you know...

Yes viruses mutate.....but in 100 plus years of study no virus that infects humans has ever changed the way it is transmitted....ever. A lot of other things can change, it can become more or less lethal, more or less infectious, but it's mode of transmission remains the same.

Ebola is not "becoming" airborne, it either is or isn't.....random virus mutation prediction does not yet exist.......unless the scientist was from the future, in which case you were probably overhearing an Art Bell radio broadcast.

Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/14 20:34:02 (permalink)
Nereus

Since when is questioning credibility trashing anyone? It's a valid response to any debate. Citing information from reliable sources is the bedrock credibility is built upon. A very basic tenet in critical thought process.
clo007
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/14 20:47:10 (permalink)
Nereus

Umm the comment from WHO about the 10,000 new cases a week was in regards to Liberia, not the USA.

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 73000
  • Ribbons : 115
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/14 20:58:11 (permalink)

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
clo007
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/14 21:02:13 (permalink)
Ummm, not one local station is reporting that.That gotnews link was the one that originally posted the story. The other one's you linked are running with the gotnews link.

BTW, i live in Fort Worth.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/
http://www.wfaa.com/

The only remotely close is from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/10/14/6199347/facebook-founder-donates-25-million.html?rh=1

The total number of people being monitored for Ebola symptoms, including contacts or possible contacts with both Pham and Duncan, is now 125, Frieden said. That number includes an employee of Alcon medical company in Fort Worth who had direct contact with Pham, according to the state public health department.

The contact who works at Alcon, who was not identified, was admitted to the hospital Sunday with no symptoms, company spokeswoman Elizabeth Harness Murphy said in a statement. The employee is being hospitalized as a precaution, the statement said.
“The Alcon associate has not shown any signs or symptoms of the Ebola virus. After consultation with the Texas Department of Health, we are confident that there is no risk for Alcon associates. We are working closely with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Texas Department of Health to ensure we are following proper public health measures.”
Alcon is a medical company that specializes in eye-care products.

Not really sure how it went to a medical company employee to her boyfriend.
post edited by clo007 - 2014/10/14 21:26:19

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/15 00:12:05 (permalink)
clo007
Nereus

Umm the comment from WHO about the 10,000 new cases a week was in regards to Liberia, not the USA.

Heh yes I realize that, and I didn't say it was USA. Liberia is the frontier. Given time, the rest of the world will follow suit if ebola isn't contained.

Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/15 05:32:58 (permalink)
clo007
Not really sure how it went to a medical company employee to her boyfriend.

It's pretty easy to conceptualize how it was transmitted considering their relationship.
Stephenk291
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1023
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/15 05:35:45 (permalink)
lol yeah.. usually couples do...the two person tango.

|i7 8700k @4.9Ghz| 64GB 3200mhz DDR4 Corsair RGB Pro |Asus Strix Gaming z390 |EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3  | Corsair 500D | H105 Cooler | SuperNova 850G3

Associates Code E96KV2QZWOXVRZM
Static_FX
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 134
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/15 06:13:07 (permalink)
i would like to make a suggestion... How about we (the american people) stop going to these 3rd world countries trying to help all those poor people. Sorry, but we have PLENTY of poor people RIGHT HERE IN THE UNITED STATES that could use free doctors, food, care, shelter, support, etc etc etc. Lets fix ourselves before we help others. Cant STAND reading about this crap. 
Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/15 07:26:11 (permalink)
Static_FX
i would like to make a suggestion... How about we (the american people) stop going to these 3rd world countries trying to help all those poor people. Sorry, but we have PLENTY of poor people RIGHT HERE IN THE UNITED STATES that could use free doctors, food, care, shelter, support, etc etc etc. Lets fix ourselves before we help others. Cant STAND reading about this crap. 

I offer a rather different perspective. Society works on a bell curve. There will always be people on top and bottom no matter what you do. There will always be people who couldn't reason their way out of a wet paper bag let alone improve their own situation enough for them to be self sufficient. I pose the issue is that we're doing the world no service by making people co-dependent upon others. Instead people should be trained to be self sufficient. Give people the tools to do it themselves, don't do it for them. Otherwise it's flushing resources chronically down the toilet for no tangible improvement to society. Our only responsibility at a society level is to allow people access to the tools, not do everything for them. Until we embrace that concept, nothing will ever change. This is also fundamentally what is wrong with our current population at home in the US. Co-dependent welfare programs are cancerous. Instead of maintaining the status quo for these people, they should be focused on self improvement instead. There is no incentive for self-improvement if everything is handed to them.
post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2014/10/15 07:36:14
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/15 08:32:36 (permalink)
Nereus

Exactly!! THANK YOU!! It aggravates me how people can take this so lightly. And it really pisses me off when people act so childish like and say stupid things like "oh no its the zombie apocalypse."  This stuff is very VERY serious friends. Its human lives being lost. Regardless of how people are dieing all human life is important. I just hate how people can look at one another as if they are disposable. But yet those people who do that and have something happen to them or to a friend/family member they want sympathy then and plead for mercy. 

I am sure that most people are not aware of the other deadly viruses that are running rampit around the world as well. For example, there are now more than a million cases of Chikungunya in Central and South America, and authorities are projecting that there will be millions more in 2015.  Even thou the number of Ebola cases continues to grow at an exponential rate, and now an even deadlier virus (Marburg) has broken out in Uganda. Meanwhile, a disease that sounds very similar to Ebola and Marburg has popped up in Venezuela and doctors down there do not know what it is. Why aren't we hearing more about this in the mainstream news?

Here in the United States, enterovirus D-68 has sickened hundreds of children all over the country.  So far cases have been confirmed in 43 different states, several children have been paralyzed by it, and one New Jersey boy has died. The CDC seems to have no idea how to contain the spread of enterovirus D-68. So why should we be confident that they will be able to contain the spread of Ebola?

kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/15 08:47:59 (permalink)
Living in fear is worse than any viruses of mass destruction.

Just because we aren't hysterically jumping up and down freaking out doesn't mean we don't take things seriously.....sometimes calm and reason rule the day.

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/15 09:45:00 (permalink)

And another nurse has gone down with ebola in Texas after working with the original patient. What is shocking is that, instead of monitoring the hospital staff for 21 days after contact with the patient, this nurse was on a flight from Cleveland to Dallas on Monday. On Tuesday she was in hospital diagnosed with ebola. Now everyone on that flight has to be tracked down and monitored, and it has to be done before (if) they contract ebola and go contagious. What the hell was this nurse doing flying domestically within 21 days of being in contact with an ebola patient? I am almost convinced the CDC want ebola to spread.

Also news is coming out that the original ebola patient was left in public areas for hours on his return visit to the hospital, even after it became apparent he had ebola symptoms. Any hope of tracking anyone who may have come into contact with him in those hours is lost.

source CNN.

NordicJedi
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 12570
  • Ribbons : 77
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/15 10:27:42 (permalink)
kaninja
Living in fear is worse than any viruses of mass destruction.

Just because we aren't hysterically jumping up and down freaking out doesn't mean we don't take things seriously.....sometimes calm and reason rule the day.

+1

6012mhz on L/N2 
5321mhz on L/N2
5091mhz on air
The Lightsaber
The Emperor Reborn
JGLuxe
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7192
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/15 10:51:59 (permalink)
Honestly, Even knowing Nina Pham has Ebola, I'd still hit that.

She's bomb. She'd have to wear those aviators though.

i9-12900ks @ | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/15 10:59:04 (permalink)

LOL.. dude...

Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49170
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: Ebola coming to a state near you. 2014/10/15 11:29:07 (permalink)

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 7
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile