LockedEVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
zildjian75
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1261
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/12 15:03:35 (permalink)

It's not like you're forced to be here. 

Thanks...  I'll give that as much consideration as it deserves.

"The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows."   Thomas Jefferson

RIG#1 (Home) - i7 4790k @ 4.4ghz w/ CM V8 GTS - EVGA Z97 Classified - Win10 64bit - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2133mhz - 2 x EVGA GTX 980SC in SLI - Corsair AX850 - 250GB Samsung Evo (main) - 500GB Samsung Evo (games) - 1TB WD Black (misc) - Aerocool Strike-X (Cheesy... But effective!)

Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6746
  • Ribbons : 16
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/12 15:08:00 (permalink)
I don't know

here we have people complaining about people who post little to reduce clutter, but are posting relevant material about technology.

What you could wind up getting is useless nonsense with each posted link , which could be far worse

[here's my link]
httx:\mynews.com

[here's my useless nonsense]
the sky is blue and here is news

he could even post on a separate article but the link leads to a different story...

and if you wish you could even post troll opinions from other sites
(that is news and subsequent opine reposted or linked)

you ask me just posting a link is fine
if it's relevant people will read and chime in

it's simple - no confusion

the snippet issue is a problem - some news topics on some website are only 1 paragraph - so if you take it or a large portion of it that explains it you violate Copyright law (because it's a significant portion).

and media companies - fair use- look at the lawsuits and take down notices -1M per month on google - it's only gonna get worse - a heck of a lot of fair use is getting taken down

if you take less from the article people will go ?? what's it about
it's a real conundrum

and people opines - sometimes they are great - some times I prefer no one spin a story or leave it to simmer and see how people feel before I like to chime in

I mean you don't have to read it...it's not offensive because there is no opinion
some can be asinine and stupid..so it definitely better than some troll or crazy thought or idea or reasoning

last thing I need is some incorrect opine - to make me miss a great link (because of the posting with the link)

here we are complaining about something good - NEWS and how it's posted  while useless drivel is abound in the general section, which I find completely worthless and annoying at times
like "brony thread ...and subsequent additional brony threads"

not that im a brony hater - just that I find the topic useless

ok..I can deal with 1 and avoid it if I wish - but have to be bowled over with more competing troll threads

it's up to YOU to "READ THE LINKS"  - not US to "POST THE CONTENT" (which could be a problem with copyright)

Id rather have honest original news content that some opine which is completely different or wrong/incorrect or spun by the poster (to heat the discussion)

And Id rather have the link posted without comments or chatter than miss the link or news item entirely

Now if EVGA wants to stick it's head out on fair use on news articles(subsequent takedown and lawyers and appeals on removal) . I'll post more of the article

Id rather keep it nice neat and avoid issues for EVGA
post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2013/06/12 15:10:06

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Ribbons : 110
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/12 15:29:32 (permalink)
Just an opinion here,

To many rules makes it harder for those that already cannot follow the rules, to be impossible.

More often than not, rule changes are spoken about in great detail between Mods and EVGA. Some portions of those ideas are implemented, others are not.

Not speaking for EVGA on this, however it is how I understand the "Spirit" of what EVGA is striving for...

First and foremost, a place for folks to go to get answers on their products. And a friendly, comfortable, nonthreatening environment for folks to discuss pretty much anything they like with the exceptions of politics and religion. 

Having to many rules, does not promote the above. Having too few rules has a similar challenge.

At this point keep the ideas coming, EVGA does in fact read them... They do "Listen" to their clients. It is the screamers that get shut down 

wrinvert
R.I.P Friend
  • Total Posts : 3751
  • Ribbons : 17
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/12 15:31:28 (permalink)
if you took the time to read the article and found it post worthy, you should have 5 more seconds to comment on it. something, anything on the subject. ie "*link* here is an article about *topic*"

clo007
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5274
  • Ribbons : 11
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/12 15:49:30 (permalink)
+1 to wrinverts comments.
Honestly, I bet alot has to do with people just wanting to up the post count.
Make a sub-forum called "All things non-computer related" and make it have no post count at all.

NordicJedi
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 12570
  • Ribbons : 77
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/12 16:21:32 (permalink)
Technically, Gen. Discussion is a forum "for everything else."

Generally, a link and a snippet isn't a problem for copyright.  If the entire article is a paragraph long, then there may be an issue.  Most of the problems we've seen on the mod end comes down to (article but no link) or (link and entire article).  If a member posts way too much of an article, but leaves a link, mods can typically prune it down so that it doesn't run into that issue.  There are some exceptions when we remove content due to NDA reasons or other TOS prohibited content, but not usually due to copyright on the article itself.

Personally, I am more of the opinion that it is a posting style issue, more than a function issue.  There is no doubt that a link with commentary from the OP will increase reads and discussion.  While some may choose not to read an OP with just a link, I don't see how that harms the forums or members.  If members want to take extra time to potentially increase viewership and comments, I believe that is up to the OP.  It does not harm the forum otherwise.

6012mhz on L/N2 
5321mhz on L/N2
5091mhz on air
The Lightsaber
The Emperor Reborn
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/12 16:22:40 (permalink)
clo007

+1 to wrinverts comments.
Make a sub-forum called "All things non-computer related" and make it have no post count at all.

First part is already in place. It is called the "General" category. Your next point is tasty! Not sure it is possible though.

It does bring back in focus one item... Post counts are meaningless... Why not get rid of them all together? One reason... How do you know who has been contributing and worthy of taking their comments as an actual answer to a question vs. destructive or a a meaningless pile of nothing?

shaneisme
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 224
  • Ribbons : 3
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/12 16:34:50 (permalink)

Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietam servitutem
AlexisRO
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1920
  • Ribbons : 9
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/12 16:44:38 (permalink)
shaneisme

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Man-Sets-Home-on-Fire-While-Trying-to-Kill-Bed-Bugs-211131491.html?dr

Is it still on?

Personally i don't have a problem with people posting just links as long as the topic title  is related to it. If i'm interested, i'll read it, without a quoted paragraph from it or the posters ideas on it. Can't see myself reading articles that i'm not interested in, just because it's a (let's say) cleaner format.

Don't spend a huge amount of time going on different sites and checking for news so, for me, coming in this section brings a lot of good reading.
post edited by AlexisRO - 2013/06/12 17:06:50

System: 7820X - MSI X299 Carbon AC - G.Skill 32Gb TridentZ 3200 - EVGA 1080 Ti - 500 Gb Samsung 970 EVO , 2Tb Crucial MX500, 2Tb, 3Tb, 4Tb Seagate - Seasonic 1000W Prime - Creative Sound Blaster Z - Windows 10 Pro 64 - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - Edifier S530D - Acer Predator XB271HU (1440p)

Watercooling loop: Heatkiller CPU - EK 1080 Ti - Swiftech MCP 655 with EK X-Top v2 - XSPC reservoir - Alphacool 480 x2

wrinvert
R.I.P Friend
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/12 16:49:47 (permalink)

shaneisme
Superclocked Member
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/12 16:53:37 (permalink)
wrinvert

shaneisme

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Man-Sets-Home-on-Fire-While-Trying-to-Kill-Bed-Bugs-211131491.html?dr

off topic post mods punish the troll!

It's exactly on topic. My point is you can get what you need from the title, link, et al. If I put something like "This is funny.", or "What an idiot." after the URL, I wouldn't be bringing anything to the discussion, I just wanted to share.

Why do we want to impose more limitations and rules? Especially ones as frivolous as this. What if I just wanted people to check it out?

You don't have to click on any topic or read it. If you know someone always posts links and it really pisses you off (look at yourself in the mirror a long time please while you're at it) perhaps don't click and / or ignore the user or section.

wrinvert
R.I.P Friend
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/12 17:08:39 (permalink)
shaneisme

wrinvert

shaneisme

It's exactly on topic. My point is you can get what you need from the title, link, et al. If I put something like "This is funny.", or "What an idiot." after the URL, I wouldn't be bringing anything to the discussion, I just wanted to share.

Why do we want to impose more limitations and rules? Especially ones as frivolous as this. What if I just wanted people to check it out?

You don't have to click on any topic or read it. If you know someone always posts links and it really pisses you off (look at yourself in the mirror a long time please while you're at it) perhaps don't click and / or ignore the user or section.

well shane way to take a joke and get insulting about it. I find when blocking people its closing yourself to other peoples opinions and at that point you are no longer keeping an open mind. also i'm not going to block a whole section because of 1 person, there might be something worth while to me at some point that I would miss out on. but hey if I've pissed you off in the past(which from your post it looks like I have) please feel free to take you own advice and block me.

my point is not all links are titles like that, so yeah point failed. need an example go look at RJ's latest thread http://forums.evga.com/fb.ashx?m=1954777 does his link offer anything about the article? NO! i'm not saying make it a rule or part of TOS, im saying its just bad forum etiquette.

shaneisme
Superclocked Member
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/12 17:15:34 (permalink)
wrinvert
well shane way to take a joke and get insulting about it. I find when blocking people its closing yourself to other peoples opinions and at that point you are no longer keeping an open mind. also i'm not going to block a whole section because of 1 person, there might be something worth while to me at some point that I would miss out on. but hey if I've pissed you off in the past(which from your post it looks like I have) please feel free to take you own advice and block me. 

You're reading too much into my words, sensitive much?

It's bad forum etiquette in your opinion, I find nothing wrong with it.

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/12 17:25:59 (permalink)
Hey... Both of uz... Snock it oof before I pull over this forum... 

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14686
  • Ribbons : 38
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/12 17:47:28 (permalink)
shaneisme

wrinvert

shaneisme

You can't always get what you need from the title. Nothing wrong asking members to put a small amount of effort into News Posts.

The answer to everything, if you don't like it ignore it.

wrinvert
R.I.P Friend
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/12 18:01:39 (permalink)
shaneisme

so what is your answer to links like the example of RJ's post? offer something helpful up here...

NordicJedi
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/12 18:05:03 (permalink)
I agree that there's nothing wrong with asking members to put more efforts into their posts; it's a completely different matter when you demand members put more effort into their posts.

I'm not opposed to writing an OP suggestion or someone else writing it for the CIN section and have it stickied.  However, it would only be a suggestion/guideline, would only be pasted in the CIN section, and moderators would not require members to follow it.  If someone wants to submit a sample, we'll review it first and possibly make some edits.  

The answer to everything, actually, is 42.  

6012mhz on L/N2 
5321mhz on L/N2
5091mhz on air
The Lightsaber
The Emperor Reborn
NordicJedi
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/12 18:09:24 (permalink)
wrinvert

shaneisme

so what is your answer to links like the example of RJ's post? offer something helpful up here...

In the example you posted, RJ included the content and context of the link in his title.  That's fine, IMO.  At the very least, the title of the thread should refer to the content being posted.  I have more of a problem when people start threads with ambiguous titles which do not match links, or post links going to content completely different than the title would suggest.  Doesn't mean it always is a problem, but it can be.  Rickrolls are a little different, and when it happens once or twice a year, I'll chuckle a bit.  More than that and....let's just not go there.

6012mhz on L/N2 
5321mhz on L/N2
5091mhz on air
The Lightsaber
The Emperor Reborn
Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 23174
  • Ribbons : 39
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/13 10:03:04 (permalink)
So, if I start link crapping 25 games and news posts a day you would have no problem with that? Just clarifying? If so, I'll get right on that for the next month and see how that works out for you guys. I'll use the same posting format that has been complained about and post on topic links. I'd normally post some relevant opinion along with the links but I don't have time to. Just clarifying that is ok, since it seems it has been confirmed already that it is. I propose all that have problems with the link crapping also participate. As it's within the forum guidelines and not an infraction in anyway, it's all ok. I propose I can show you why it's a problem.
post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2013/06/13 10:10:58
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102406
  • Ribbons : 85
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/13 10:09:35 (permalink)
Brad no one here, not even myself, post more than a few news related stories daily.

Brad_Hawthorne

So, if I start link crapping 25 games and news posts a day you would have no problem with that? Just clarifying? If so, I'll get right on that for the next month and see how that works out for you guys. I'll use the same posting format that has been complained about and post on topic links. I'd normally post some relevant opinion along with the links but I don't have time to. Just clarifying that is ok, since it seems it has been confirmed already that it is.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/13 10:12:00 (permalink)
rjohnson11

Brad no one here, not even myself, post more than a few news related stories daily.

Brad_Hawthorne

So, if I start link crapping 25 games and news posts a day you would have no problem with that? Just clarifying? If so, I'll get right on that for the next month and see how that works out for you guys. I'll use the same posting format that has been complained about and post on topic links. I'd normally post some relevant opinion along with the links but I don't have time to. Just clarifying that is ok, since it seems it has been confirmed already that it is.

Ah, so do we need a forum guideline on how many can be posted in that format? Otherwise it's not against guidelines. Just pointing out all the hypocrisy in this.
post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2013/06/13 10:18:36
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/13 10:16:23 (permalink)
As far as I am concerned things with the status quo are just fine and I don't see a reason to change anything.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/13 10:17:26 (permalink)
rjohnson11

As far as I am concerned things with the status quo are just fine and I don't see a reason to change anything.

You're too close to the problem to see it.
zildjian75
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1261
  • Ribbons : 1
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/13 10:56:39 (permalink)
Brad_Hawthorne

So, if I start link crapping 25 games and news posts a day you would have no problem with that? Just clarifying? If so, I'll get right on that for the next month and see how that works out for you guys. I'll use the same posting format that has been complained about and post on topic links. I'd normally post some relevant opinion along with the links but I don't have time to. Just clarifying that is ok, since it seems it has been confirmed already that it is. I propose all that have problems with the link crapping also participate. As it's within the forum guidelines and not an infraction in anyway, it's all ok. I propose I can show you why it's a problem.

Good Lord TigerRabbit...  Why?  It's folks like you (the few)  that want to ruin it for the many...  Get a job I guess...  or maybe a coloring book?  Whatever you need...

"The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows."   Thomas Jefferson

RIG#1 (Home) - i7 4790k @ 4.4ghz w/ CM V8 GTS - EVGA Z97 Classified - Win10 64bit - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2133mhz - 2 x EVGA GTX 980SC in SLI - Corsair AX850 - 250GB Samsung Evo (main) - 500GB Samsung Evo (games) - 1TB WD Black (misc) - Aerocool Strike-X (Cheesy... But effective!)

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/13 11:04:43 (permalink)
If it were a problem we would have numerous complaints or tickets and we don't. So no problem.

Brad_Hawthorne

rjohnson11

Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/13 12:35:47 (permalink)
rjohnson11

If it were a problem we would have numerous complaints or tickets and we don't. So no problem.

Brad_Hawthorne

rjohnson11

You can't do tickets on mods. You know that. The report button isn't even there.

Aren't there "numerous" complaints in this thread? 
post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2013/06/13 12:37:32
loveha
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10497
  • Ribbons : 65
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/13 12:42:21 (permalink)
I don't like the post a link and leave thing either. At least some input or your thoughts. Or a small snippet out of the page to show the contents. If there is nothing posted besides the link, to me that means it is not worth reading.

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
NordicJedi
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/13 14:45:03 (permalink)
Brad_Hawthorne

rjohnson11

Brad_Hawthorne

rjohnson11

You can't do tickets on mods. You know that. The report button isn't even there.

Aren't there "numerous" complaints in this thread? 

So, is the issue that only mods do this?  Otherwise, you should have plenty of opportunity to ticket members engaging in the same behavior.  Likewise, you can always send a PM or email to a mod or Rob about this.  But I know that's not your point.

Yes, we have a handful of members complaining now.  The question is still more of whether this is an issue that significantly affects the forums, or whether members are complaining of a subjective preference for how threads should look.  I'm not dismissing the latter as something EVGA doesn't care about, but this is also the first time I've heard members complain about how members post news threads.  That does not mean that we cannot do something to see about changing how members post, but given how long the forums have been running this way, I'm unlikely to throw support behind any new mandatory posting requirements outside of the Marketplace.

6012mhz on L/N2 
5321mhz on L/N2
5091mhz on air
The Lightsaber
The Emperor Reborn
Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/13 15:03:55 (permalink)
NordicJedi
So, is the issue that only mods do this?  Otherwise, you should have plenty of opportunity to ticket members engaging in the same behavior.  Likewise, you can always send a PM or email to a mod or Rob about this.  But I know that's not your point.

Reports are for forum guidelines broken. You don't file a report on guidelines that don't exist. Your premise is flawed. Personally, it annoys me, but not on the level of report annoyed or spend 5 minutes emailing annoyed. I leave it to others like the OP to be more motivated about this kind of thing. I quit truly caring years ago. I'm merely playing devil's advocate for the giggles.
post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2013/06/13 15:14:29
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14686
  • Ribbons : 38
Re:EVGA needs rules for posting NEWS articles 2013/06/13 16:44:08 (permalink)
Just because the forums has been running this way for a long time doesn't mean jack. Over time you find stuff that needs changed.

Hotdeals sections evga made a "frivolous" rule making members post newegg and tigerdirect links only in the sticky posts made for them. Did we always have that rule, no we didn't. Someone suggested the change to improve that section.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile