EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Quacksnooze
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/02/07 12:18:34 (permalink)
I just recently got my EVGA Hadron built, Maximus VI Impact, 4770k, 780Ti, etc.
At first the PSU fan wasnt loud at all, but now it starts to become a problem, as it is extremely annoying.

Basically, I boot up the system, fan ramps up, goes down and is nice and quiet, after about 30 mins it just randomly ramps up to a high speed, even when there is pretty much no load on it, and just wont slow down. I am extremely frustrated by this as I am sick of listening a loud fan, while doing work in my desktop. If it ramped up while gaming, I would be completely fine. But nope.

Anyone know whats wrong? It should have a very minimal load on it while on desktop, browsing web, etc.

79 Replies Related Threads

Quacksnooze
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/02/08 04:13:28 (permalink)
    Someone please help me! This is driving me nuts!
    Acorn248
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/02/08 21:43:56 (permalink)
    I've had this case for about a week or so now, and until now. I wasn't even sure if the fan was spinning it was so quiet.  But just playing a very simple graphics game (DOTA2) the fan went berserk.  Now it is the loudest fan in my system, and I'm sitting at idle (50W atm).  It's not stopping.  Already tried restarting.  That PSU fan is crazy loud, i could hear it thru my gaming headset in game, wow.  I almost wonder if there is a problem occurring in the PSU now, because i've played this game much longer than i was just then, and the fan never made noise.

I'll let you know if I find a fix or a solution
    Bump.
    Quacksnooze
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/02/09 02:10:05 (permalink)
    Acorn248
    I've had this case for about a week or so now, and until now. I wasn't even sure if the fan was spinning it was so quiet.  But just playing a very simple graphics game (DOTA2) the fan went berserk.  Now it is the loudest fan in my system, and I'm sitting at idle (50W atm).  It's not stopping.  Already tried restarting.  That PSU fan is crazy loud, i could hear it thru my gaming headset in game, wow.  I almost wonder if there is a problem occurring in the PSU now, because i've played this game much longer than i was just then, and the fan never made noise.

I'll let you know if I find a fix or a solution
    Bump.

Pretty much the same problem as with mine, first couple of days it was fine, but now it's just ridiculously loud even while I'm not doing anything with my computer.
    I'm wondering if changing the fan to a Noctua 40mm counterpart would make it any more quieter, I heard that things extremely quiet for it's size.
    Acorn248
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/02/09 02:27:05 (permalink)

Pretty much the same problem as with mine, first couple of days it was fine, but now it's just ridiculously loud even while I'm not doing anything with my computer.
    I'm wondering if changing the fan to a Noctua 40mm counterpart would make it any more quieter, I heard that things extremely quiet for it's size.

Be pretty fun to see what's inside the PSU.  I hope it's not the internal fan controller acting up, like it goes fast, i hope it doesn't break and shut off.
    Quacksnooze
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/02/09 03:06:30 (permalink)
    Acorn248

Be pretty fun to see what's inside the PSU.  I hope it's not the internal fan controller acting up, like it goes fast, i hope it doesn't break and shut off.

Yea, also wondering if replacing the fan would void the warranty...

I bet that changing the fan to a Noctua would atleast make it a lot less whiny sounding :D
    jbirdwsk
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/02/10 22:51:06 (permalink)
    OP, when I had a 7950 card in mine any gaming or something intense it sounded like a wind tunnel. It wasn't just pretty loud, it was unbarably loud. I've since put a much older 4850 card in and it doesn't seem to get loud.  I was ready to throw the case away it was so annoying. If it wasn't some sort of glitch and it's normal for it to get this loud, I'm pretty bummed out. I plan to put a Geforce 770 in and I hope to god it's not a repeat of before for me.
    Cascading
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/02/11 01:24:33 (permalink)
    Can EVGA comment on this? I've just installed Windows on my system and the PSU noise is unbearable - and I'm only idling. None of the videos I've seen online show this.

Is there a fix?
    Acorn248
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/02/11 02:02:50 (permalink)
    jbirdwsk
    OP, when I had a 7950 card in mine any gaming or something intense it sounded like a wind tunnel. It wasn't just pretty loud, it was unbarably loud. I've since put a much older 4850 card in and it doesn't seem to get loud.  I was ready to throw the case away it was so annoying. If it wasn't some sort of glitch and it's normal for it to get this loud, I'm pretty bummed out. I plan to put a Geforce 770 in and I hope to god it's not a repeat of before for me.

That's what to be expected. Anything that uses more power is going to heat up the PSU more. Which sucks because the cooling fan for it is small.

Cascading
    Can EVGA comment on this? I've just installed Windows on my system and the PSU noise is unbearable - and I'm only idling. None of the videos I've seen online show this.

Is there a fix?

bump, i would love to see an answer for this.  Has yours been loud since day 1? It took mine about a week to go crazy. Which leads me to believe there must be an issue.
    Cascading
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/02/11 02:31:37 (permalink)
    Acorn248
    bump, i would love to see an answer for this.  Has yours been loud since day 1? It took mine about a week to go crazy. Which leads me to believe there must be an issue.

Only just finished the build today (minus a GPU currently). I think it's toned down more since my last reboot, but it's still much louder than I'd like it considering the system is literally not doing anything.
    Dedaciai
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 307
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/02/11 04:59:27 (permalink)
    Having already seen a ton of thread regarding the Hadron Air PSU it seems like it has bad QA/QC.  And yes, it would be great to hear EVGA make a comment(s) on all of this. 

Intel Core 4770K @4.25GHz
    Asus Maximus VI Impact    
    Crucial MX200 M.2 SSD 512GB
    EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra
    Corsair Vengance PRO RAM 16GB @ 2400MHz
    DAN CASE A4
    ThermoCool Copper CPU Cooler
    Corsair SF600 Watt PSU

Cascading
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/02/11 08:31:14 (permalink)
    I'm going to have to contact EVGA for a replacement - there is this high pitched whine that is driving me crazy.
    erick.mendes
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 124
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/02/19 05:37:23 (permalink)
    I found a solution for this case LOUD psu:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=196

Just got this 450W SFX PSU from Silverstone... Got the HDD cage out, going to put in this PSU on place of HDD cage than I'm finally be able to use this case again... Couldn't stand the PSU noise.

cougar qbx | i5 6600k | gtx 1060
    Quacksnooze
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/02/19 09:50:47 (permalink)
    Mendes, please post some pics on how you mounted it. I am not sure if I wanna remove the HDD-cage though lol
    erick.mendes
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/02/19 10:02:38 (permalink)
    Just paid for it. Will take 5 days to arrive. Asa I get it and enough time, I set it up to post pics with some audio.
    post edited by erick.mendes - 2014/02/19 10:03:43

Dedaciai
    iCX Member
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/02/19 10:30:58 (permalink)
    erick.mendes
    I found a solution for this case LOUD psu:
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=196

Just got this 450W SFX PSU from Silverstone... Got the HDD cage out, going to put in this PSU on place of HDD cage than I'm finally be able to use this case again... Couldn't stand the PSU noise.

Any thoughts on just trying to replace the fan?  Like maybe with the 40mm noctua one?

Asus Maximus VI Impact    
    EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra
    DAN CASE A4
    Corsair SF600 Watt PSU

arond
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/02/19 12:11:26 (permalink)
    I have it since a few days and the PSU is the quietest element in it I think (when its not ticking), even when playing. Just wondering what is your average CPU/Graphics card temperature?
    erick.mendes
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/02/19 16:26:15 (permalink)
    @Dedaciai Well... I've though about getting a 40mm Noctua... Even found the model, but it was too late, I already screwed up the stock PSU top cover... So, putting this SFX PSU inside is my best bet now.

Dedaciai
    iCX Member
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/02/19 16:55:35 (permalink)
    erick.mendes
    @Dedaciai Well... I've though about getting a 40mm Noctua... Even found the model, but it was too late, I already screwed up the stock PSU top cover... So, putting this SFX PSU inside is my best bet now.

Ah, ok. Let us know how it goes and good luck!

Asus Maximus VI Impact    
    EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra
    DAN CASE A4
    Corsair SF600 Watt PSU

Cascading
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/02/20 00:53:51 (permalink)
    Awesome mod idea mendes

Btw the Noctua has like half of the CFM of the stock 40mm fan, although it's likely far quieter
    EVGA_JacobF
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 16946
    • Ribbons : 26
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/02/25 12:07:49 (permalink)
    Please contact us if the fan is loud.

cheshh
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/03/10 04:23:30 (permalink)
    Hi has anyone had a replacement PSU from EVGA which has solved the problem?
    Zombly
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/03/11 11:54:57 (permalink)
    Now I'm scared to finish my build for this, anyone else have this issue? Just got my case the other day and going to put it together tonight/tomorrow.

Thanks!
    Dedaciai
    iCX Member
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/03/11 12:02:54 (permalink)
    Zombly
    Now I'm scared to finish my build for this, anyone else have this issue? Just got my case the other day and going to put it together tonight/tomorrow.

Thanks!

Don't be scared, just realize that you may/may not hear the whirr of the fan.  I am on my fourth PSU and it still makes that god awful noise.  I have given up on sending back in my PSU (I am on my fourth one).  I have now just resigned my self to always be listening to something when my little gaming rig is on.  The nice thing is when you are gaming you can't hear it.  More than anything else, it is the pitch that drives me up the wall.  If I place a finger of the exhaust area (not blocking it) the pitch changes enough to make it more than bearable. 

So, my idea is a piece of cheap acoustical foam and make a small hollow box with two end open, and using two-sided sticky tape, to put it over the exhaust area.   Other than that, the case is great. :) 

Asus Maximus VI Impact    
    EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra
    DAN CASE A4
    Corsair SF600 Watt PSU

Zombly
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/03/11 12:13:23 (permalink)
    Dedaciai
    Zombly

Thanks!

Don't be scared, just realize that you may/may not hear the whirr of the fan.  I am on my fourth PSU and it still makes that god awful noise.  I have given up on sending back in my PSU (I am on my fourth one).  I have now just resigned my self to always be listening to something when my little gaming rig is on.  The nice thing is when you are gaming you can't hear it.  More than anything else, it is the pitch that drives me up the wall.  If I place a finger of the exhaust area (not blocking it) the pitch changes enough to make it more than bearable. 

So, my idea is a piece of cheap acoustical foam and make a small hollow box with two end open, and using two-sided sticky tape, to put it over the exhaust area.   Other than that, the case is great. :) 

I wonder if anyone has done a mod similar to this going to google and see what other mods people have done to reduce the PSU noise, this is my first build I've done myself, and to be honestly the PSU wires are to small for me to connect so I'm paying someone $20 to connect the PSU wires for me as I should of got a different MOBO (Z87 Gigabyte)
    Thanks for the idea though as I wouldn't mind modding the case a little bit, as the case is gorgeous which is why without temptation I purchased it and knew this would be my first do it myself rig.
    geniusgizmo
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/03/11 12:32:28 (permalink)
    my moneys on the fact you will hear the fan, lol.  I think the PSU is fundamentally flawed in its fan size and we all hope it will be quiet but it isnt.  The 40mm fan has to go insanely fast to move enough air to cool the PSU, Ive had alot of PCs in my life and this is by far the loudest.  Personally if you've got a chance to change case now then I would rather than hope you've struck lucky and got a 'quiet' one
    Dedaciai
    iCX Member
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/03/11 13:48:48 (permalink)
    geniusgizmo
    my moneys on the fact you will hear the fan, lol.  I think the PSU is fundamentally flawed in its fan size and we all hope it will be quiet but it isnt.  The 40mm fan has to go insanely fast to move enough air to cool the PSU, Ive had alot of PCs in my life and this is by far the loudest.  Personally if you've got a chance to change case now then I would rather than hope you've struck lucky and got a 'quiet' one

I am thinking most people hear it too.  I'd had a pc gaming friend over the other night (he goes to a lot of concerts so I figured his hearing would be shot enough not to hear it) and he heard it too and agreed it is the pitch that is annoying. 

I am going to order that foam tonight and see if that helps.  If it does I will post back with pics. 

Asus Maximus VI Impact    
    EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra
    DAN CASE A4
    Corsair SF600 Watt PSU

lotuspocus
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/03/11 18:13:10 (permalink)
    :-( this has me worried. I love the aesthetics of this case but this is killing my buzz for my incoming Hadron Hyrdo tomorrow. 
    Dedaciai
    iCX Member
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/03/11 18:28:07 (permalink)
    lotuspocus
    :-( this has me worried. I love the aesthetics of this case but this is killing my buzz for my incoming Hadron Hyrdo tomorrow. 

Don't fret, you may be one of the lucky ones with a PSU fan that doesn't have that annoying pitch, plus if you are using a custom loop, your pump and fans may cancel the sound out.  I notice that the annoying 'buzz' pitch is basically canceled out when my fans hit 50-60%. 

Good luck with the hydro build.  I wish I had the money/patience to do custom loop.

Dedaciai

Asus Maximus VI Impact    
    EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra
    DAN CASE A4
    Corsair SF600 Watt PSU

lotuspocus
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: EVGA Hadron Air Really loud PSU fan, even when in desktop with very little load 2014/03/12 00:43:07 (permalink)
    We shall see *crosses fingers* also thank you!
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile