Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18926
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 58
2024/01/08 07:19:57 (permalink)

Received the latest cable bill last night with a $50/month price hike! Apparently they increased the pricing for everyone, but also some promotion ended for us so the price was going up to $250/month. We used to have the premium gold package with all the channels years ago, but every time the bill increased above $200/month, I would downgrade the cable TV package to keep it at slightly under $200/month. Finally it got down to the most basic cable TV option they have, plus internet (200 Mbps down / 35 Mbps up), and a land line, and still it went up to $250/month! We almost never watch cable TV anymore because of the insanely excessive amount of ads on EVERY channel, it's just too frustrating to sit through.

So this morning I called them and cut the cable TV service. That's after 15+ years with the same provider. 

They offered me a bunch of discounts to retain the cable TV service, which actually made it slightly cheaper than what I had been paying for the last year (just under $200/month), but nope, what's the point if we don't even watch it now.

Having just the internet (same speed) & phone will be $105/month from now on.

I should have done this a lot sooner lol.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

57 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102333
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/01/08 07:33:13 (permalink)
    I feel a bit lucky in Europe to have glass fiber internet (1000MB/S) with TV, and landline for about 88 Euros a month. This includes tax. My mobile bill for two mobile phones comes to about 43 Euros a month and that's separate.  

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/01/08 08:12:51 (permalink)
    There are also some good free streaming services to watch TV shows with. 

My Samsung "smart TV" offers many free channels including "Samsung TV Plus", though there are commercials

When I looked at the paid streaming services, they had become as expensive as Comcast TV services.

Also I do get a "free" streaming box from Comcast as part of my internet only package, this offers me a few more channels (with commercials)

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/01/08 08:33:26 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    I feel a bit lucky in Europe to have glass fiber internet (1000MB/S) with TV, and landline for about 88 Euros a month. This includes tax. My mobile bill for two mobile phones comes to about 43 Euros a month and that's separate.  

Damn that's good.

We pay US$225/month (about €205/month) for 3 mobiles (5G + unlimited data though).

For about US$135/month I can get a fiber connection (940Mbps down & up) with no TV, but the fiber network is only connected as far as outside our apartment door, they then have to wire up the inside, and after seeing the ugly mess they made in my neighbor's apartment... no thanks. Maybe some time in the future if I can do the wiring myself.

All the above prices include tax.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/01/08 08:41:59 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    There are also some good free streaming services to watch TV shows with. 

My Samsung "smart TV" offers many free channels including "Samsung TV Plus", though there are commercials

When I looked at the paid streaming services, they had become as expensive as Comcast TV services.

Also I do get a "free" streaming box from Comcast as part of my internet only package, this offers me a few more channels (with commercials)

We have a 55" Samsung smart tv, I should check out their services if it's included, thanks for that.

We have Netflix 4K, which is ok. Also Amazon Prime Video which has been good, but they have just started putting ads on all the movies (unless you want to pay an extra $3/month). I'm thinking of canceling my Amazon Prime subscription because the next day delivery isn't next day half the time, so not sure exactly what significant benefit I'm getting out of it since Prime Video is mostly 3rd party now and has ads. I really really do not like ads, to the point I'd rather not watch a movie if it's going to be broken up with ads.

I'm almost expecting Steam to start inserting ads in the middle of gaming...

Bobmitch
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8334
    • Ribbons : 47
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/01/08 08:58:27 (permalink)
    I cut the cord about two years ago Christmas.  I have 1 GB fios, Youtube TV, Hulu and more and still pay less than it would have cost me to stay with Cable TV, Internet and one land line

MSI MAG X670-E Tomahawk;  Ryzen 7 7800X3D; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 PSU; 32 GB  Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 CL30 RGB; Corsair iCue Link H150i LCD 360MM AIO; 2-Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z;  Lian Li Lancool III; EVGA Z15 Keyboard; Razer Viper 8K Mouse

Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
    Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

Delirious
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 17474
    • Ribbons : 61
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/01/08 10:25:47 (permalink)
    did that 4 years ago.  Tired of Frontier and their prices.  Switch internet companies and only use youtube TV.   It's nice because I can use it at work and at home and my mom doesn't have to pay for cable because it has family sharing.   Youtube TV does the news and sports, that's all I need. I have saved thousands.  Frontier begged me to come back.

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger" 
    Affiliate Code XZUMV9TJW5
    Associate Code: 7PM43CU71IB2IAP
    education may be expensive but wait until you get the bill for ignorance
    A wise man once said that we can't make anyone feel or do anything. We can throw things into the wind, but it's up to each person to decide how they want to react, where they want to stand when things fall.
    yaymz
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 736
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/01/08 14:32:17 (permalink)
    Congrats on cutting the cord.  Did so about 10 years ago and haven't looked back.

The day of reckoning for the cable companies is here.  They had their chance to fix the outrageous charges and doubled down on selling their customers bloated packages which nobody wanted.  Lets be real, does anyone even watch more than 1% of the programming you pay for through cable with 600 channels of programming?

I feel like traditional cable will be dead in less than 10 years..  The younger generation doesn't watch cable at all (Imagine having to set a reminder on your iphone because the show you like comes from 8-9pm ).  Younger gen wants content on demand.  Cable will be relegated to just providing internet service.  There really isn't anything on cable that you can't get on-demand over the internet (for a small fee).

We have AT&T 1g which we pay $60/mo..  plus my wife gets another $30 worth of streaming services, so we pay about $90/mo total.

cpu: Intel 12900k-EK Quantum Magnitude waterblock
    mobo: Asus z690 Apex
    ram: G.skill DDR5 @ 6000+.
    gpu: MSI 4090 Suprim Liq x on EK-Quantum Vector² Trio ABP waterblock
    ssd: Samsung m.2 980 Pro 2TB (x2)
    psu: beQuiet Dark Power Pro 1500w
    case: Lian-li o11d xl
    monitor: Asus ROG Swift 27" 1440p @240hz (PG279QM).[/
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/01/08 23:59:46 (permalink)
    Everyone is trying to save money so there are loads of alternatives. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

STR1D3R_2
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1431
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/01/09 16:42:47 (permalink)
    Good for you Nereus !!!
    Welcome to the club. I joined about 6 years ago now but it was a slow migration to keep the wife from killing me.
    My first step was putting up a cheap antenna from wally mart. It had the 80 mile range printed on it. The highest on the shelves. That doesn't really mean too much as its more line of site so I've read. Put it up and found 43 channels right away. Great channels at that.
    We started watching tv only on that and soon ditched the cable vision. Turned in 3 dvr's and the modem. Then bought our own modem at best buy for around  70 bucks.
    Soon after all that a new cell tower went up about 10 miles away or less and we ditched the land line. Our bill went from 376 a month to just under 50. Have not regretted a single choice.

Affiliate code E1HEL4HYPS
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14686
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/01/09 23:45:06 (permalink)
    It's sad how many companies show no loyalty to long time customers. They never say oh you been a customer for 8-12 years, here's a special deal for you supporting our company for so long.  
    Soon as our Cable contract is up, were going to ditch cable internet for fiber. Same price were paying for 500/10 we can get 500/500. 

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/01/10 00:30:06 (permalink)
    As a consumer you should always look for the best deal. 

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/01/16 19:19:20 (permalink)

Our cable provider managed to screw up our internet service since removing cable TV. Trying to deal with their brain dead reps is incredibly frustrating - the level of incompetence is bewildering. A week later we are still running on degraded internet service when it should not have been touched at all, and they seem incapable of fixing it or even comprehending there's a problem. Very likely going to switch to a different provider and go fiber optic. Just lucky that we have a choice.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/01/16 21:04:25 (permalink)
    Nereus
    For about US$135/month I can get a fiber connection (940Mbps down & up) with no TV, but the fiber network is only connected as far as outside our apartment door, they then have to wire up the inside, and after seeing the ugly mess they made in my neighbor's apartment... no thanks. Maybe some time in the future if I can do the wiring myself.

Fiber doesn't use wires. It is optical.  I wonder what mess they made.  All they need is to give you a single fiber cable to a little box that they provide; and that box has a wall wart power adapter that plugs into a standard outlet.  From there, it's just your normal ethernet cable and router that you provide.  It looks just like any other internet connection, except it is an optical cable instead of a coax cable or phone line.

I can't imagine having cable 10 years ago.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2024/01/16 21:05:30

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/01/16 21:27:18 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Nereus

Fiber doesn't use wires. It is optical.  I wonder what mess they made.  All they need is to give you a single fiber cable to a little box that they provide; and that box has a wall wart power adapter that plugs into a standard outlet.  From there, it's just your normal ethernet cable and router that you provide.  It looks just like any other internet connection, except it is an optical cable instead of a coax cable or phone line.

I can't imagine having cable 10 years ago.

I realize fiber is fiber and not coax or anything else. When I say "do the wiring myself" I mean the SC/APC cable and channel through walls and back of a closet etc, so when the installer comes out he basically just has to connect to the green headers at each end (it's APC not UPC for Verizon). There's a demarcation point outside our apartment door, directly above the door frame. I'd run from there to our home office and then hook up my router (ASUS RT-AX86U / AX5700) from there.

When they installed my neighbors fiber, it looked like someone handed a staple gun to an 8 year old and said "go for it" and pointed in a random direction. This is a relatively new construction apartment building so it looked really bad. Worked fine, just the aesthetics...

post edited by Nereus - 2024/03/02 09:07:29

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/01/18 06:12:38 (permalink)
    Same thing happened here.  No promotions existed and it was pulling hair trying to get a hold of a Xfinity rep on the phone for one, and two, that I can barely understand.  A few of them lied to me that they signed me up to a new affordable contract but didn't realize I never got the digital contract via text to approve/sign but by the time I realized this, I was duped by two reps two different times. lol

I finally cut the cord and kept their internet where they had a promotion for 1 Gig internets which was nice.  Ended up getting hulu + live TV, peacock since it comes with the internet free and amazon, since I'm a prime member but mainly use Hulu + Live TV and Youtube.

Cutting the cord basically saved us lots and gave us more options.

I will say, many from different regions had the same complaints about the price hike and no promotions as if they're purposely trying to price us away from the cord and go with streaming.  I understand the old way of cable TV has more costs involved, fees, etc., etc.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    yodap
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4642
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/01/18 11:30:12 (permalink)

Nereus

Very likely going to switch to a different provider and go fiber optic. Just lucky that we have a choice.

Not having that choice sucks in the biggest possible way. Just Spectrum here and maybe Verizon DSL but not sure if that’s a thing any more. No optical here. Our street is a cellular dead zone as well. 
    30 miles from the state capitol and 6 miles from a very popular city and all we have is a $250 monthly nut with no choice.
    Oh yes, and Spectrum’s reps are real good at the “lie and deny” game too.

Chrome-M-Dragon
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7806
    • Ribbons : 30
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/01/18 17:09:31 (permalink)
    All I can say is Yar me matey... Cable is too expensive, streaming services just to get a good mix of new and old is getting to be just as expensive (price on internet connection plus Hulu, plus Netflix, plus Disney+ etc needed to get good shows). And the way that companies are trying to say that buying a game don't mean you own that game... Well. As the meme says...

People are, well, only Human. We know that. The rule of law is borne out in identifying, condemning, and punishing those who violate the standards on which we all agree. This is exactly what we do in america. -James Inhofe

Use any of the codes below for a free hug and a high five! Much love to all you wonderful nerds!
    Associate: 5L1LJB5JQ94H892 Affiliate Code: QRXQKO8ZJS

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10105
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/01/20 02:58:07 (permalink)
    I cut the cable after realizing that the main way I was watching tv anyway was streaming. Now I am more focused on what shows and movies come out to different services and I will do a month or two then cancel them. My go to has been Prime, Netflix and Disney/Hulu bundle since I like Marvel and Star Wars shows.

I do agree that free TV even with commercials is ok since it's free and has some good shows. I found out Hasbro put up all the old G.I. Joe cartoons on Youtube and watched them with ads since it kind of gave it a feeling of being a kid and watching them. Unfortunately the ads don't run during the breaks in the show for them which would have been great if it did.
    post edited by Hoggle - 2024/01/20 03:01:22

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Bee_Dee_3_Dee
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 599
    • Ribbons : 23
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/01/25 05:04:06 (permalink)
    Three years ago, i searched for the cheapest Mobile Plan/ Plus Good Support and "Tello" seemed the best to go with.

1GB Data + Unlimited mins + Free Text = $9.00 + Tax = $10.13 per month. (Original they said $10.00 per month including tax... no activation or anything... and it was for at least two years... but something caused it to jump up 13 cents per month last year. lol i never researched why.)

After 10 years of $70+ and evidentially $55+ for three years to AT&T... WAT A RELIEF!!!

And it has worked perfect. (Note: "Tello" uses T-Mobile Towers.)

Plus u can adjust monthly Data amount, if need be, though their App. U can increase Data one month, and reduce Data back down, the next.

When speaking to their Support, they spoke better English than any support ever. Voice Connection was as perfect as could be. And they explained everything about using the card they sent me (never done it myself) and how to tell AT&T to end service so i wouldn't get charged an additional month. (I spoke to at least 5 support ppl at "Tello" in two days -- because i'm always so inquisitive when it comes to new things.)

> PSU: Seasonic VERTEX GX-1200
    > Mainboard: EVGA Z690 CLASSIFIED (BIOS v1.03 12/3/2021)
    > CPU: Intel Core i9-12900KF
    > AIO: EVGA CLC 240mm
    > Physical Memory: G.SKILL Trident Z5 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 5600
    > Physical Memory Model#: F5-5600U3636C16GX2-TZ5S
    > Monitor: Alienware AW2721D
    > Video Card: EVGA 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
    > Case: Cooler Master HAF X (942)
    > DAS: Sabrent DS-SC5B

SmookinJoe
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1345
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/02/04 12:54:03 (permalink)
    I cut the cable awhile back and discovered android boxes..
    Never watch a commercial. I rarely watch live tv but there are ways to do it.
    ip tv is cheap..I don't need it.
    My Fiber 1gig service (up and down) is around $100/mo cdn.
    Every tv has an android box (you might be able to install the apk's, I use, on an Android based smart tv)
    Can't go into too much detail but if you need help finding out how to do it..pm me.
    You will need to have a Facebook account to join the groups I use.

post edited by SmookinJoe - 2024/02/04 12:55:24

bill1024
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 11114
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/02/04 15:30:24 (permalink)
    I can't see giving up my FIOS TV. I have their TV and internet 1gb fiber. It's been so stable and reliable over the years.
    There are way too many stations we watch to subscribe to.
    All the local 2,4,5,7,9,10,11, YES, MSG 1&2, SEC network, ESPN 1,2,u, Fox sports 1&2, Several news stations, FX, TBS, TNT, MAV, USA, Story, ME, COZ, SNY, Big Ten network, weather channel, History, FYi, Discovery, Travel, TRU, Showtime channels, movie channel, kids stations for the grandkids and a bunch more.
    I like my sports, news and other programs I or the Mrs. sometimes watch depending... No way I would be able to replace all of them for the same price and stability.
    Under a couple hundred and it's in the budget no problem.

Life is too short to carry a cheap pocket knife

SmookinJoe
    FTW Member
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/02/04 18:20:36 (permalink)

bill1024
    I know I don't have all the answers..
    I was watching live tv when I first got my boxes..sports events..some pay per view but I found it to be a pia to update the build on Kodi to stay ahead of the interruptions. Builds were free and they worked great. I do know there are many options available, other than BIG Cable sources.
    I just like to pass the time being entertained without commercials. Everything I watch is on my demand...I binge shows from beginning to end of multiple seasons all in the proper sequence.
    I would suggest getting an android box..(android tablet or phone would do) install a couple of apk's(android package) and see if you like the variety and options..Might be able to trim some of your costs..without giving up quality

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/02/12 18:55:18 (permalink)
    Working on cutting coax cable for internet.

Go from cable 500/10 to fiber 500/500 for same price. Current testing out 1gb up/down but it's only getting around 800ish for up/down. Probably drop to 500/500 and still be fine.

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/02/12 19:22:56 (permalink)

I purchased my own modem and am returning the modem supplied by the ISP. I've always had my own router, but didn't think much about the modem - I was paying $12/month + tax for it for years! Buying my own one cost about 6-7 months worth of modem rental, then it's all free from there. Again, should have done it years ago. Only pain was spending 2 hours on the phone getting the ISP to register the new modem, but it's done now and max speed is a little faster too.

post edited by Nereus - 2024/02/12 19:24:04

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/02/12 21:22:17 (permalink)
    Nereus

I purchased my own modem and am returning the modem supplied by the ISP. I've always had my own router, but didn't think much about the modem - I was paying $12/month + tax for it for years! Buying my own one cost about 6-7 months worth of modem rental, then it's all free from there. Again, should have done it years ago. Only pain was spending 2 hours on the phone getting the ISP to register the new modem, but it's done now and max speed is a little faster too.

I like how Fiber only needs a router. 

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/02/12 23:45:49 (permalink)
    MSim
    Nereus

I like how Fiber only needs a router. 

I agree. I've had fiber for quite some time. Luckily prices for internet services are slightly regulated in Europe.

SmookinJoe
    FTW Member
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/02/13 13:10:29 (permalink)
    MSim

Go from cable 500/10 to fiber 500/500 for same price. Current testing out 1gb up/down but it's only getting around 800ish for up/down. Probably drop to 500/500 and still be fine.

You can always ask the question as to how much throughput your setup s capable of.
    https://www.snbforums.com/
    Nat translation, firewalls etc affect total throughput.
    Currently looks like you are losing 200mbs
    What speeds were you getting on the 500/10 setup?
    You could possibly see a similar drop on the 500/500 as you are seeing now.
    Are you testing directly connected to the fiber modem/router?
    post edited by SmookinJoe - 2024/02/13 13:17:48

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/02/13 14:50:55 (permalink)
    SmookinJoe
    MSim

You can always ask the question as to how much throughput your setup s capable of.
    https://www.snbforums.com/
    Nat translation, firewalls etc affect total throughput.
    Currently looks like you are losing 200mbs
    What speeds were you getting on the 500/10 setup?
    You could possibly see a similar drop on the 500/500 as you are seeing now.
    Are you testing directly connected to the fiber modem/router?

They have two plans for Fiber up to 500/500 or up to 1000/1000. So far 877/877 is best speed test i have seen on 1000/1000 plan. I'm directly connected to my router. Cox Cable i would get 560/10. Cox data cap is 1025GB a month, unlimited data is $49.99 a month. No data caps on fiber. 500/500 or even 500/300 would be just fine for me. Once in awhile i like to stream my gameplay to friends, 10mpbs for whole house isn't enough.

My router is over 5 years old. Not sure if a new one would improve speeds due to being hard wired to it.  

Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10105
    Re: Cutting the cable 2024/02/13 16:59:58 (permalink)
    Nereus

That is one thing I have considered. It’s worth it if they don’t change out the hardware often or if the hardware is overkill for your needs.

Unfortunately for me Comcast seems to make it hard to find a modem capable of their top speed without renting but at least the modem has WiFi 6e support.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile