Car Stereo Upgrades

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Violence.
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1913
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: Car Stereo Upgrades 2014/07/21 17:56:33 (permalink)
kaninja
Violence.
also they would get setup like this. saw this truck at finals also in 2013. truck is called , the black nasty.

It is not running off nothing but capacitors.  What would be the voltage source lol.  I say a minimum 2 alternators to feed all those pigs lol.  Without an input voltage nothing would happen......it is the alternators that are doing most of the work.

Also, in a typical car stereo install the reason a capacitor is a terrible idea is because while a capacitor discharges extremely quickly it takes more than twice as long to recharge it which steals power from the amps.  The reason lights stop dimming in cars with capacitors is that the cap is acting like a buffer for the accessories in front of it, like the lights.....while the amps get the short end of the stick.

There is no benefit in running a cap in a regular 2 -3 amp car audio application.

those caps will not steal power from the amplifiers. and you are talking fractions of a second. my daily driver was going to be swapped to nothing but caps but they became extremly difficult to find as maxwell stopped making them. they could not keep up with the demand. and i was not about to pay $75+ per cap. 

and they dont buffer anything. they are voltage stiffeners. also 99% of your car audio amplifiers out there today will be find down to 10.5 v before they start having issues with starving of voltage. 

read around man. those caps are not normal. now the everyday cheap caps with the fancy LED lights ect, yea you are correct. they are cheap poor caps. the maxwell caps are in a league of there own. 
kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8755
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: Car Stereo Upgrades 2014/07/22 12:52:43 (permalink)
Violence.
kaninja
Violence.
also they would get setup like this. saw this truck at finals also in 2013. truck is called , the black nasty.

It is not running off nothing but capacitors.  What would be the voltage source lol.  I say a minimum 2 alternators to feed all those pigs lol.  Without an input voltage nothing would happen......it is the alternators that are doing most of the work.

Also, in a typical car stereo install the reason a capacitor is a terrible idea is because while a capacitor discharges extremely quickly it takes more than twice as long to recharge it which steals power from the amps.  The reason lights stop dimming in cars with capacitors is that the cap is acting like a buffer for the accessories in front of it, like the lights.....while the amps get the short end of the stick.

There is no benefit in running a cap in a regular 2 -3 amp car audio application.

those caps will not steal power from the amplifiers. and you are talking fractions of a second. my daily driver was going to be swapped to nothing but caps but they became extremly difficult to find as maxwell stopped making them. they could not keep up with the demand. and i was not about to pay $75+ per cap. 

and they dont buffer anything. they are voltage stiffeners. also 99% of your car audio amplifiers out there today will be find down to 10.5 v before they start having issues with starving of voltage. 

read around man. those caps are not normal. now the everyday cheap caps with the fancy LED lights ect, yea you are correct. they are cheap poor caps. the maxwell caps are in a league of there own. 

All caps?  You would be talking 1000's of dollars man.  Buy a bigger alternator, or second one, beefier battery, and then spend the rest on better equipment dude.  Caps are a waste.....even the new "Ultra Caps".  The caps do act as a buffer for the deadlights, and other upstream accessories as I said which is why they help because the amps are behind the "wall" that the capacitors create.  Yes, amps can run @ 10.5V......but at a much reduced output, so why would you want that.

All caps would be a terrible idea in a daily driver......with the car not running, how long are those caps going to hold a note?  What a couple of seconds?  In a current limited environment such as DC car audio they have a detrimental effect.  Your alternator is the most important factor in the whole equation as it is your source and has the highest voltage potential of 14.5V....so it will supply the current up to the point of saturation.  Once that limit is reached, anything downstream that is there to help pick up the slack such as a capacitor will only make things worse, because once they release their capacitance.....in the fraction of a second, the already strained alternator strains even more to now charge those capacitors as well.....and it is during THIS time that the voltage drops to the amplifiers and when their voltage drops so does the current.....and this is when they are starving for power, and the caps are having the opposite effect that they were intended to have.  (But your headlights won't dim).

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

Violence.
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1913
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: Car Stereo Upgrades 2014/07/22 13:53:20 (permalink)
kaninja
Violence.
kaninja
Violence.

All caps?  You would be talking 1000's of dollars man.  Buy a bigger alternator, or second one, beefier battery, and then spend the rest on better equipment dude.  Caps are a waste.....even the new "Ultra Caps".  The caps do act as a buffer for the deadlights, and other upstream accessories as I said which is why they help because the amps are behind the "wall" that the capacitors create.  Yes, amps can run @ 10.5V......but at a much reduced output, so why would you want that.

All caps would be a terrible idea in a daily driver......with the car not running, how long are those caps going to hold a note?  What a couple of seconds?  In a current limited environment such as DC car audio they have a detrimental effect.  Your alternator is the most important factor in the whole equation as it is your source and has the highest voltage potential of 14.5V....so it will supply the current up to the point of saturation.  Once that limit is reached, anything downstream that is there to help pick up the slack such as a capacitor will only make things worse, because once they release their capacitance.....in the fraction of a second, the already strained alternator strains even more to now charge those capacitors as well.....and it is during THIS time that the voltage drops to the amplifiers and when their voltage drops so does the current.....and this is when they are starving for power, and the caps are having the opposite effect that they were intended to have.  (But your headlights won't dim).

dude im not going in circles about this. i have seen this setup done many many times in a daily driver with voltages way higher then 14.5v also. im not going to sit here and debate about it. go do research on it. trust me. the maxwell caps will not voltage drop more then one volt. yea in a daily driver setup with an alternator attached to the bank. not sure if you realize these setups run a alternator attached to the bank or not. 

again read up on this. seems you like to some in threads lately and just disagree with everything i post regardless of topic. go read around the internet about these cap setups in BIG car audio builds. not this 1000w stuff. 25k watts plus builds. and they hold up just fine in a WAY more demanding situation they you are talking about. I myself have been to 20'000 watts with 2 amps. and that is clamped power numbers directly out of the amp jacks. 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile