Author
Gold Leader
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3939
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 62
2013/08/17 07:15:33 (permalink)
Hi all :)

This morning my AMD Radeon HD 6990 PCI-E 4096MB 512Bit GDDR5 Rev.A12 1052 arrived from Berlin, Germany after making this nice victory on ebay a short week ago:
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/28...ksid=p3984.m1426.l2649

So this morning after unpacking it, I thought to give it a good clean before I really start using it for some test runs :) now normally you'd test it before doing this, that is something I should of done, but alas, it didn't matter since after all of this work the card works just fine

As this guide goes I planned to make pics of how I took it apart,thereby poiting out handy to know things, I think this guide might be helpful for all you HD 7990 users too, since the HD 7990 is very similar in construction to that of the HD 6900 I have here.

So first of all I gave it a little inspection, seeing if any oddities were lurking about, it all checked out fine, so I flipped it on it's back and started to remove the screws which held it's backplate to place:

The PCB date shows that the card is from year 2010 and week 52 that being 1052.

After that I removed the VPU X-Brackets

Then I removed these hexagonic screws which held the retention bracket to place via the DVI-I connector, in my country thy are named Inbus screws:

After that don't forget these two side screws< Many Radeon's have these on the side, GeForce cards have neater sunken screws though

After all that I gently tried to remove the HSF from the PCB, which you need some little force to pull it apart, do take your time doing this though

As you can see the fan connector is still in place, just gently disconnect it from it's place so that the two halves come apart freely.

For cleaning I used Turpentine with some toilet paper, and cleaned the VPU's and parts off with toilet paper and pure alcohol, which gave this result:

Here an angled shot of the HD 6990 bare PC< that stuff on the ramchips I left alone, as it's from the VRAM pads that are applied to the main HSF:

Here the DVI-I and it's four Mini Display Port connectors, just clean them with pure alcohol:

Here a nice closeup I took of the main RV970 XT Cayman VPU and the ATI/PLX PCI-E 2.1 Bridge chip, which gives a 16 Lane PCI-E 2.1 connection between the two RV970 XT Cayman VPU's which form R900 Antilles

Here the Slave RV970 XT Cayman VPU:

Here I disassemble the HSF from the HSF Shroud, by removing them tine screws:

Here you can see the Heatsinks & Fan combination that keep cool the Rdaeon HD 6990, each heatsink also has a vapor chamber, the cooler works very well, even that the fan can get somewhat noisy, I don't have an issue with that though

Here the rear view of the AMD HD 6990 Heatsink/fan combom nice copper cores there

Here I was cleaning the HSF Shroud, from dirt and dust and other bad things, I used anti-bacterial soap

The result is a clean shroud with a good look too! Top side:

Here the rear view of it, nice and clean, like new again

here the other side from the rear view:

This is what you get when taking apart a Radeon HD 6990, all the parts the entire thing 100% dismantled xD

Not to worry, I used all them part to slap her together again and I didn't miss a single part or screw, for that matter xD   In total; 7 parts & 31 screws

Here the top side of the retention bracket all cleaned up, like new:

here the rear side of that same retention bracket:

This is how a cleaned HD 6990 would look like without the HSF applied to it

Here I neatly reapplied it's RV970 XT Cayman VPU's with Noctua NH-1 thermal compound

And here the HD 6990 back in it's original form all cleaned up, ready for use again

Just put every screw back from where you removed them and all should be fine, it is pretty straight forward too

Also the rear side:

X-Bracket screws and the Backplate screws are two different sets, the ones that hold the shroud and HSF together is the third set of screws. the ones in the retention bracket speak for themselves, as they are the only ones that belong to it.

here a headshot I took of the card after reassembling it back to it's original state

Here the cleaned and renovated HD 6990 from the top angled view:

Here from the front top side view:

Here it's nice looking red lines and it's dual 8 Pin Power connectors at the rear:

Here you can see the backplate well in place from it's ride side angled view:

And here the final shot showing a closeup of it's single CFX connector and it's Bios Switch, which is set to  main Bios node, my VPU's are now running @ 830Mhz with this setting, the other setting is Turbo mode, which sets them to 880Mhz.

After doing all of this I found out that the card runs a lot cooler and quieter, reapplying it's thermal compound did do some miracles and now that the card is clean, it is also ready for Project G34.

post edited by Gold Leader - 2013/08/17 13:21:32

5 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102313
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re:AMD Radeon HD 6990 Disassembly Guide 2013/08/17 12:32:04 (permalink)
    This is a fantastic piece of work so thanks for sharing!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:AMD Radeon HD 6990 Disassembly Guide 2013/08/17 12:40:52 (permalink)
    No worries bud and many thanks for my 29th Blue Ribbon there tooz!
    As the placing of this topic goes, I didn't know where else to post this, but as being a non EVGA VGA card, General hardware was the only obvious place, might be an idea to add a section for non branded EVGA VGA cards? Or Various Branded VGA cards? Anyway, just wondering about that
    This is one of the better ways to keep all your types of hardware alive, and most of the times, VGA cards can live longer than when their warranty expires too, a golden tip from me there xD
    post edited by Gold Leader - 2013/08/17 12:55:30

Baltothewolf
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3762
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re:AMD Radeon HD 6990 Disassembly Guide 2013/08/17 18:24:40 (permalink)
    What are temps when gaming for an extended period of time?

My Laptop (GE63VR-7RF):
    -7700HQ.
    -16GB RAM.
    -GTX 1070.
    -128GB SSD.
    -1X 1TB 7200 spinny drive.

Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:AMD Radeon HD 6990 Disassembly Guide 2013/08/17 22:58:57 (permalink)
    Hmm I have no idea, dunno what I could use for that either , hmm any idea's?
    The only way I expected it ran cooler was that the fan doesn't speed up as much as it did before So I reckon this repasting did the job alike
    post edited by Gold Leader - 2013/08/18 00:57:55

Gold Leader
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:AMD Radeon HD 6990 Disassembly Guide 2013/08/30 04:33:23 (permalink)
    Well I have been testing the R900 in my Dual OpteronDP 2435 D0:

And so far all seems to be doing very well with AMD Catalyst 13.8 Beta with Frame Pacing enabled, I have been running Unigine's Valley Benchmark today and the avr fps I am getting with both GPVPU's @ 830Mhz is about 46 fps, ma fps was 75.6 and min was 25.6 fps 

Not too shabby for this 4 year and 5 month old system I am using. Games like Crysis 3 & Just Cause 2 seems to do very well as Frame pacing goes, the same for Skyrim, even that Skyrim isn't DX9, it seems to run very well @ 1920 x 1200 x32 in ultra settings without any issues nor microstutters when I have Frame pacing enabled.

Unless Skyrim does take use of DX11, which I greatly doubt hmm.  For Crysis 3 I did have to set Tessellation Max Distance to 0 ia the console, this was needed to fix a glitching issue I had with the bots and characters in the game it's self when using Ultra settings even that the min max framerate was 60 FPS with Frame pacing enabled @ 1920 x 1200 x32, all my 12 CPU cores were also used to about 90% load, Cry Engien 3 loves SMP quite a bit.

It seems that Radeon HD 7000 series VGA's don't have this problem, so it's either a driver issue with AMD or EA's as game goes, the problem could lie on both sides.

The overal image quality is by far superb, far better than my GTX 680's can give, colours are darker, deeper and richer. Image quality  like Image sharpness is quite a bit better, especially when playing BluRay Video's and playing games that use lots of colours, but as Image Quality goes this has always been the upper hand when using Radeon's nothing new to me as that goes, although I do find the Kepler Series VGA cards the best when it comes to Image Quality on GeForce cards.

Though the Image quality differences can be best seen on a high quality S-IPS, H-IPS or S-PVA monitor, anything below these won't have much influence due to the low image quality a TN & LED monitor gives.

Here I also was able to enable Frame Pacing:

post edited by Gold Leader - 2013/10/19 08:45:15

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile