980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question

Author
rbullis
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/01/14 10:59:11 (permalink)
Hello everyone,
I am still rather new to these forums, I have a question about my SLI setup or settings on my new build. According to NV Control Panel under "Configure SLI, Surround, PhysX" I have SLI enabled the (Maximize 3D Performance) button is selected. The Physics card option is set to auto. Once I applied these settings I now have a Green Bar under the 2 GPU'S (GTX 980) and the option shows SLI enabled. (I do have the bridge installed)
Running GPU-Z I can see my Information for both my cards by choosing GPU-1 or 2.

My Problem is:
I then loaded the Valley Benchmark that came on the driver disk and tried to run the benchmark.
The Valley Benchmark Program will not start in SLI.
If I disable the SLI mode in the control panel and start Valley Benchmark it runs and I can then benchmark 1 card at a time individually...just not in SLI mode. the program will not start, it takes the settings I set on it and just goes black screen and locks up.
Any help/tips on something I may be overlooking on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Asus X99 Deluxe
I7-5930k (Currently at stock speeds)
16Gb 2666MHz Dominator Platinum
EVGA GTX 980 x2 installed in slots 1 and 3. Slots are both PCI-e 3.0 x16 (SLI Bridge Installed)
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w P2 PSU
Samsung 850 Pro x2
WD1502FAEX x2

22 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49181
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question 2015/01/14 11:20:10 (permalink)
    Try reinstalling valley & clean installing your video drivers...

#1 Uninstall Valley Benchmark.

#2 Perform a clean installation of video drivers.
    1. Uninstall Precision X/Afterburner if installed, make sure to select "no" to saving profiles if asked. Reboot the machine.
    2. Download & save graphics driver 347.09 to your desktop. Run it after download is complete. 
    3. Select custom advanced install, under custom installation options uncheck all options except the physx system software, if you are using audio over HDMI please select the HD Audio driver, if you have a 3D capable monitor and would like to use 3D at some point select the 3D Vision driver also, check mark perform clean install, then click next to install the driver, reboot when asked.

#3 Enable SLI then reboot the machine.

#4 Redownload & Install Valley Benchmark from the following link... LINK

#5 Test and report back with your results.
    rbullis
    Re: 980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question 2015/01/14 16:20:11 (permalink)
    Hello,
    Thank you Sajin for the troubleshooting steps you posted above. I followed the steps and Downloaded the Valley Benchmark from the site you provided. I am able to run it in SLI mode now but not in Full Screen. If I try to run it in Full Screen it crashes and gives a warning the NVidia driver 347.09 has stopped and has recovered. In Windowed mode I do not get this error I actually am running it on custom setting on Ultra with FPS of 120-134 which I think is good.

The troubling part is I can not load in in full screen. I also started a game ESO and it loaded fine. SLI Visual indicator was working there. I then went from "Full Screen Windowed Mode" to just "Full Screen Mode" and again another crash.
    Have you or anyone ran across this situation? And if so, What is the fix if there is one please?

SLI in FULL SCREEN is not functioning. Only Windowed Mode
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question 2015/01/14 20:32:42 (permalink)
    No problem. Looks like you have a little bit more work to do... 

Do the following and report back if your issue is resolved...

#1 Download MSI Afterburner and set the fan speed (%) to max. Don't forget to click the apply button to bring the changes into affect.
    #2 Test your games in full screen mode & report back if your issue is resolved or not.
    rbullis
    Re: 980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question 2015/01/15 12:48:18 (permalink)
    Hello again,
    1. Verified Motherboard had newest BIOS Version 1103 installed
    2. Removed 1 of my GTX 980 SC Reference Cards (Leaving 1 for setup)
    3. I wiped my system and started from fresh OS load.
    4. Installed Fresh Windows 7 64bit OS
    5. Loaded all drivers for my Asus X99-Deluxe
    6. Installed newest NVidia driver 347.09 WHQL (Rebooted system)
    7. Once rebooted back into windows I downloaded a fresh copy of Valley Benchmark 1.0 from  supplied by Sajin in a previous reply, then installed it and again rebooted system.
    8. Once back into windows with 1 GPU in PCI-E Slot 1 x16 Gen3 I ran Valley Benchmark in both Windowed (Custom Ultra Mode) and Extreme HD (Full Screen) with no issues.
    9. Shut down machine and swapped GPU into PCI-E Slot 3 x16 Gen3 and restarted system
    10. Once back in windows I was able to run Valley Benchmark just like in Slot 1 in both (Windowed and Full Screen) No Issues
    11. Shut down system and removed GPU-1 and replaced it with GPU-2 in PCI-E Slot 1 x16 Gen3 and restarted the system
    12. For some reason Windows detected a new device and reloaded the drivers for the GPU I just installed (Not sure if that should have happened)
    13. I rebooted once windows said the device is ready to use
    14. Once again back in windows I then reran steps 8 though 10 with GPU-2 with no issues.
    15. I shutdown the system and installed GPU-1 into PCI-E Slot 1 x16 Gen3 since GPU-2 was now in PCI-E Slot 3 x16 Gen3 (without SLI Bridge) and restarted my system
    16. Once back in Windows...windows found a newly installed adapter and loaded the drivers for it, Rebooted system and installed SLI Bridge
    17. Upon reboot windows now notified me my system is SLI Ready
    18. I activated SLI mode using the NVidia Control Panel using the feature of "Configure SLI, Surround, PhysX" Maximize 3d Performance was selected as well as the Physics properties set to "Auto" clicked apply on the bottom right, the screen flickered and came back showing SLI Enabled and a green line under both GPU's with my monitor connection showing on GPU-1 and stating Physics will be handled by GPU-2. There is an option to have the CPU handle the physics...but I left it as set to Auto.
    19. I then enabled both the SLI and Physics Visual Indicators and reboot the system.
    20. I then open Valley Benchmark 1.0 and entered the first test in Custom Mode (WINDOWED) and was able to run it with no issues.
    21. I then went for Extreme HD (FULLSCREEN) and the system crashed instantly with a black screen and a freeze. Once I Alt-Tab to task manager it just showed that Valley Benchmark is not responding.
    I am quickly becoming to my end with this...it has now been going on 3 days of troubleshooting and all I can figure out is that my SLI setup works in Windowed mode but can not operate in Full Screen Mode. I have been researching this a bit and have found in my searches that this is not a isolated problem and that actually many people are experiencing the same problems and ALMOST all are with the EVGA Version of these GTX 980. I hope this is not the case due to the cost of these things.

I am unclear on what to try next...any suggestions are welcomed.
    Weird that both cards ran alone can operate in both WINDOWED and FULL SCREEN....just NO FULL SCREEN IN SLI!
    Please help if possible

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question 2015/01/15 12:52:47 (permalink)
    Disable ALL visual indicators and try again. Did you put the fan to max as suggested in post #4?
    rbullis
    Re: 980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question 2015/01/15 12:57:36 (permalink)
    Hello again Sajin,
    I will try that with the fans...and disabling the indicators.
    I do not have a overheat or high heat issue...is this a workaround that fixes a bug by chance?
    I will set the fans to max, remove indicators and report back with results asap
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question 2015/01/15 13:10:39 (permalink)
    rbullis
    I do not have a overheat or high heat issue...is this a workaround that fixes a bug by chance?

Yes, some cards have an issue with giving the GPU core the correct voltage causing a black screen, boosting the fans to max corrects the problem for some.
    rbullis
    Re: 980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question 2015/01/15 15:51:31 (permalink)
    Hello these are the results of the test with the fans...still no go in full screen.
    I got the error after I Black Screened in Full Screen Mode and cleared it in tack manager
    What can we try next? Would really like to have these work. A lot of money in these 2 GPU's. Something this expensive should not have these problems.

Attached Image(s)

Saltgrass
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 212
    Re: 980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question 2015/01/15 15:56:42 (permalink)
    Any chance you could give us your monitor model, resolution, etc. just in case?  Which ports are you using?

Maybe some pictures of your Nvidia Control Panel System Info would hold some clues.

I am running your configuration, except on an X99-Pro and don't seem to be showing your type of problems.  I have had my cards about a month.

Do you have the Windows Power scheme set to Max Performance?

I don't remember mine saying Extreme HD, but I will have to check.
    post edited by Saltgrass - 2015/01/15 16:00:11

W11 x64
    Asus Maximus Hero XIII
    Intel i9 11900K
     EVGA RTX 3090 FTW Ultra
     32 GB G.Skill 4000.
    rbullis
    Re: 980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question 2015/01/15 16:14:22 (permalink)
    Problem solved
    I can not believe it was the SLI Bridge. I used the one that came with the Motherboard which was a 3 way ribbon type.
    it was connecting on both sides of the SLI Connections. I had an older 2 way SLI cable from an older motherboard and used it on the connectors at the farthest left of the board near the expansion slots. Using those slots still produced the errors. I then shut the machine off and swapped them to the other set and Now I can run in FULL SCREEN Mode. I feel so stupid now...but I am still wondering if that is a flaw on the board and worth an RMA. What do you all think? I was under the impression that either connectors can be used. In this case they can not.

I thank you all for your help...going to do some more playing and see if it is stable now so I can start the OCing.
    I will update with further progress as I go.

Monitor is Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q
    Using DP which is its only connection
    Running at 2560 x 1440 - 144Hz
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question 2015/01/15 16:45:25 (permalink)
    You should be able to use any of the SLI fingers to SLI. Sounds like one or both of your cards needs to be RMA'd due to faulty SLI fingers.
    rbullis
    Re: 980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question 2015/01/15 16:52:25 (permalink)
    These are some pictures of what I found out. If I do RMA them I wonder how long before I get them back.  And if they replace them I will probably get someone's old headaches as in used GPU's

Attached Image(s)

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question 2015/01/15 16:59:06 (permalink)
    RMA time will depend on what type of RMA you decide to do. http://www.evga.com/howtorma/
    rbullis
    Re: 980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question 2015/01/16 09:43:58 (permalink)
    RMA activated...will update once RMA is completed.

Thanks again to all that helped.
    joeymir
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 732
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: 980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question 2015/01/16 10:14:09 (permalink)
    Woah!! first time I've seen defective SLI fingers! Best luck to you and wishes for a speedy RMA!

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB Crucial Ballisitx DDR4 3600MHz | MSI Radeon 6900 XT | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB Raid-0 | 2x WD Velociraptors 500GB Raid-0 | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850W | Lian-Li PC-O11

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question 2015/01/16 11:11:20 (permalink)
    j2345912
    Woah!! first time I've seen defective SLI fingers! Best luck to you and wishes for a speedy RMA!

Defective SLI fingers have been popping up lately.
    rbullis
    Re: 980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question 2015/01/26 13:43:24 (permalink)
    Well I have received my RMA replacements...same issue.
    A buddy came over and we installed his set of Asus STRIX GTX 980's and they work fine on both fingers in Full Screen Mode.
    My cards did not work on his system in Full Screen with the same fingers as the culprit. Second set he was able to gain Full Screen mode without any flickering, black screen, red lines or lockups. So, it seems so far it is the EVGA Models that have the finger problem...or I could just be very unlucky.

All I know is now due to the RMA time...I am well over my 30 day return to exchange them for a different model. I am stuck with these until a fix is found or I just keep submitting for more RMA replacements hoping for 2 good ones that work together correctly. I have this set of cards (2nd) with the current issue escalated to the testing department for further review and I am awaiting a response...will update with the outcome.
    rbullis
    Re: 980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question 2015/02/13 06:17:52 (permalink)
    2nd RMA set fixed the issue...the original cards and the 1st RMA units sent out seem to have been older (earlier version) cards. The replacements that arrived last night are working perfectly, I can now run Full Screen with any SLI finger combination. I am very happy now.
    A big "Thank You" to all that helped with troubleshooting tips and advise.
    Rigbuilder12
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 119
    Re: 980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question 2015/02/13 06:23:28 (permalink)
    Yikes!!! That is one of the cheapest Sli bridges I have ever seen!!! Lots of 900 series cards getting RMA'ed.......looks like this series of cards might of had some manufacturing problems, I have never seen so many people sending cards back to manufacturers......
    I was looking into buying 2 of these 970 FTW versions for Sli, over the last week I have heard so many issues with the 900 series Sli, I think I'll pass till next year(after all my 770 SC Sli isn't even 6 months old).
    post edited by Rigbuilder12 - 2015/02/13 06:28:28
    dragosturcu
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: 980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question 2015/02/13 07:54:04 (permalink)
    So glad I see this thread start.

I had problems running my system in SLi at full screen (red flickering). I have found the fault card and send it to for RMA to EVGA. When I got the replacement, it was working perfect and the SLi works just fine.

But then I noticed that the second fingers of the SLi connectors on the cards (the ones on the right, opposite of your problem), does not recognize the SLi bridge. And ofcourse I get the pop-up window 'Please connect the SLi bridge....".

I have connected the EVGA dual way SLi bridge connector (the one that lights up) and tried other 2 SLi bridges as well; same issue.

Now the thing is:
    1. My system runs just fine without issues, I can play any game, runs everything smooth including any benchmarks;
    2. If this is a card issue (the one I did not RMA), I am concerned if in the future I am trying to add another card and have them in 3 X SLi I will have problems;
    3. The cost of shipping those cards from Canada to US is very expensive; When I shipped the first one it cost me the cheapest way possible $70.00.

I really do not know what to do. Probably leave the system as it is and in the future if problems come up because of the 'finger connector' issue, I will have to deal with it...
    rbullis
    Re: 980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question 2015/02/13 11:11:51 (permalink)
    Dragosturcu,
    Yes, I did have some of the same issues as you when connecting to SLI...but like you said opposite fingers. I believe the earlier models may have this flaw on some of the cards. the newer RMA's I received have very high serial numbers associated with them. They even had a different style of the expansion bracket installed. I was in the same boat as in future expanding...if you go 3 way SLI you will need to use both sides of the fingers. I would stay on top of the EVGA CS. They actually did a pre-test on the second set for me before shipping them out to me. I do have to admit the EVGA CS will help you out the best they can. They even sent me a Flexible Bridge to try on my older cards to see if it helped, (It did not).

If you have a flexible SLI bridge you may try to place one end on finger 2 and 1 on finger 1 then retest for full functionality.
    Then swap the fingers on the cards until you find the bad card (if it is just one card).this is just a quick test to see if it is one or both cards.

dragosturcu
    • Total Posts : 36
    Re: 980 SLI-Valley Benchmark Question 2015/02/13 21:56:57 (permalink)
    I did try just now and it is the other card (not the one I received from RMA). And my 30 days window finished about a week back... To go through RMA and spend another atleast $70 is out of the question. I am a bit upset because I spend on those two cards way too much already and now to spend again for RMA... Sad.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile