Author
zeroseoul
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 109
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2013/01/27 21:11:51 (permalink)
Hello everyone, this will be my maiden post here so here it goes:
Note: I have searched and tried a few different things, but nothing has seemed to solve my problem completely.

Comp Specs:
CPU: i7-3770k @ stock speeds
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth Z77, Firmware should be near up to date, maybe 1 version behind.
Memory: 16 GB G.Skill @ 1866
GPU: 660 Ti SC (Best Buy Version) (Equivalent to a standard 660 Ti SC I believe).
PSU: Corsair GS700 (54 amps on 12v on 1 rail).

Problem: So I swapped out the card (didn't uninstall drivers while the 460 GTX was installed) and booted in no problem. Uninstalled everything then proceeded to install the 600 series drivers (clicking the option for a clean install). Things went fine so I proceeded to play DOTA 2. About 20-30 minutes in was experiencing a lot of stuttering. Graphically I was getting massive frame drops and my sound was "messed up". My comp ended up black screening and freezing with the sound in a crashed loop.

So I uninstall my drivers again, ran a registry cleaner and tried to delete any remaining files in the program files, and program data. No luck, so I did some digging and disabled the High Def Audio via device manager, I had the gpu running on bus 0 function 0, and a HD audio on bus 0 function 0. That seemed to have solved the audio issue, but I was still getting frame rate drops occasionally.

During this time I have a dual screen setup so I have precision running on the other window and my temps were running at around 72-74c and the CPU clock was running at around 1100-ish. So I said ok, the temps look a little bit high, even though I know GPU's run hotter than CPU's. I bumped the Fan Speed up to the 80% default max in precision and the temps went down. But a bit while later while playing another DOTA 2 game, I had my game crash and thrown back on the desktop saying my driver has crashed.

Anyone have recommendations for this? I want to try the fan curve thing but not sure what values and what temp range is safe and optimal. Also, should I try to bump the GPU clock offset downward to see if I get stability?

Thanks for reading guys.
post edited by zeroseoul - 2013/01/28 16:08:43

Current Build:
CPU: Intel i7-8770k @ stock speeds
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z370-A
Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengence
GPU: GTX 970 FTW
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750G2

12 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re:660 Ti SC (Best Buy Version): Stuttering, Frame Drops, Crashes, Driver Crashes 2013/01/28 14:01:32 (permalink)
    zeroseoul
    Anyone have recommendations for this? I want to try the fan curve thing but not sure what values and what temp range is safe and optimal. Also, should I try to bump the GPU clock offset downward to see if I get stability?

Thanks for reading guys.

Yes, try lowering the GPU Clock Offset and MEM Clock Offset -200 each using precision then retest the game. What motherboard do you have & is the BIOS fully up to date?
    Rozayz
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re:660 Ti SC (Best Buy Version): Stuttering, Frame Drops, Crashes, Driver Crashes 2013/01/28 14:53:15 (permalink)
    I am experiencing similar issues, though only the driver crashes from the list of ones you're experiencing. Additionally, I am experiencing red, green and  black screens "of death" - my RMA request for my SLi setup has been approved so hopefully these issues will no longer pose an issue once I receive replacements.

Will keep you updated, although it sounds like you're going to have to do the same.

→ twitch.tv/rozayz ← 
     ← ye

zeroseoul
    Superclocked Member
    Re:660 Ti SC (Best Buy Version): Stuttering, Frame Drops, Crashes, Driver Crashes 2013/01/28 16:07:30 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies, I meant to put down my motherboard but completely forgot.  
    Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth Z77, Firmware should be near up to date, maybe 1 version behind.

@Roszzay (Sorry if I didn't spell it right): Your issue seems a lot more hardware related than my own. My initial problem was most likely due to the resource conflict. Although I found it interesting my 460GTX didn't have the problem.  Best of luck mate.

So far:
    I decided to manually set the Fan Curve on the card and that has kept my card running no hotter than 55c while playing. Played three games last night after doing so and didn't experience a crash. I'm guessing there might have been an issue with how the fan was responding to temps.

During gameplay precision was showing that my card was clocking the gpu to very near 1200 or above (average Ive seen is around 1186, as an estimate). but my fan speed was never hitting anything above 30-35% causing the temps to hit around 75c.

Might have been a fluke that my drivers crashed after manually setting the card to 80% fan speed (I may have not pressed apply).

I'll keep you guys updated if anything happens. I have yet to play any games for extended periods of time with the card since my incidents.
    post edited by zeroseoul - 2013/01/28 16:13:29

Current Build:
    johnerz
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2076
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re:660 Ti SC (Best Buy Version): Stuttering, Frame Drops, Crashes, Driver Crashes 2013/01/29 11:21:54 (permalink)
    the Card does down clock starting at 70C and setting a manual fan profile is a great idea - I keep my card down to the mid 60's when its working hard

If you have updated to the latest Driver version, then you also need to uninstall Precision X DO NOT save any settings reboot then reinstall Precision X and reboot again - a pain but it will stop any issues in the future :)

zeroseoul
    Superclocked Member
    Re:660 Ti SC (Best Buy Version): Stuttering, Frame Drops, Crashes, Driver Crashes 2013/01/29 14:45:38 (permalink)
    I'll do a clean install of precision as a precaution. Thanks for the heads up.

Current Build:
    zeroseoul
    Superclocked Member
    Re:660 Ti SC (Best Buy Version): Stuttering, Frame Drops, Crashes, Driver Crashes 2013/02/05 13:37:16 (permalink)
    Update: The card runs fine with Precision X and the auto fan curve, but anytime it is off the card occasionally will give me frame rate drops.

I'll probably sometime in the week run games and monitor all of the "vitals". Hopefully this doesn't turn into an RMA or a exchange at the store.

Current Build:
    zeroseoul
    Superclocked Member
    Re:660 Ti SC (Best Buy Version): Stuttering, Frame Drops, Crashes, Driver Crashes 2014/07/26 16:49:40 (permalink)
    Self Bump: Instead of making a new thread, here I am!

So my issue has been around for quite some time after this, it is at times very random. There are weeks where I'll have no problem, but some other times where its just a crash party. Since this post, I've done a fresh install of windows when i got my SSD sometime in January. Found some errors two of my memory sticks and have taken those out (This seems to have gotten rid of frame stuttering).

But, crashing still exists. The only game I play for prolonged times now days is dota2. Sometimes it will crash to a black screen and recover, but require me to restart my game to get video. Other times it will give me a black screen with sound looping, or a black and green screen with sound looping.

But the real reason I am here again is due to a recent crash a few minutes ago. I was playing Dota2 again, when my screen went black and a few explicit words came out of my mouth, but I had Afterburner running. (Precision X come back to me! I installed the newest version when it released and it caused problems for me, when i went to reinstall it, hello and behold it was taken down as we all know.)

So Afterburner showed me this:

So I think, maybe this will show something! And well, it did.

Although,this might be due to the driver crashing and it causes the spike in Power %, GPU Usage, etc. Is there anything specific that may be causing this to happen?

Possible Next Steps:
    I have a spare computer that I can rig together (Q6600 + Identical PSU) and a GTX 240 that I can try swapping out to figure out the root problem, I don't have to time swap the psu out until another week or so, but I'll probably try this when I have time.

Things I Have Done:
    • Installed Drivers Without Any options
    • Disabled Nvidia HD Audio Devices
    • Set a Fan Curve
    • Downclocked the Core to 1071 ~ which is the advertised SC boost on this card, the core clock goes up to 1137 without any reduction.
    • Stress Tested with OC Scanner for 2-3 hours at a time.
    • Ran Memtest for 5-6 Hours at a time (during my quest to find the bad memory stick, this stresses the CPU and memory)
    • Temperatures are fine, 50-60c during gameplay.
    • This has been happening since I bought the card back when I made this post. 2/2013~ I came from a GTX460.

Thanks for tuning in!
    post edited by zeroseoul - 2014/07/26 16:54:01

Current Build:
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re:660 Ti SC (Best Buy Version): Stuttering, Frame Drops, Crashes, Driver Crashes 2014/07/26 17:24:10 (permalink)
    You need to clock it down more to like 1032 and -105 off the memory.
    zeroseoul
    Superclocked Member
    Re:660 Ti SC (Best Buy Version): Stuttering, Frame Drops, Crashes, Driver Crashes 2014/07/26 19:36:07 (permalink)
    I'll try the downclock a bit further, I didn't try to downclock the Mem Clock Speed.

According to the product listing for the best buy in store options http://www.evga.com/bestbuy/

I should be able to technically run the card at 993 + 78 (SC) = 1071 and "Memory Clock Speed: 6008 MHz Effective"
    The max Memclock shown on afterburner is 3005 x 2 = 6010.

Unless I am completely and utterly incompetent and 993 core clock is the speed with the boost.

I'll give it a shot though! I'm more so leaning toward my PSU being wonky (GS700 isn't really cream of the crop, my PSU died a long time ago before this build and I needed it back and running). I'll probably take my machine apart and rewire it with the spare PSU I have and do some testing.

My own concern is, during memtest, oc scanner, and whatever other stress tester I throw at my machine, I have never had my machine BSOD, restart, freeze, or anything. Which in theory, during these tests the machine should be drawing a lot more power and placing more load on the PSU.

But in any case, I will change my settings and do some testing. I will come back with an update if anything comes up.

Current Build:
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re:660 Ti SC (Best Buy Version): Stuttering, Frame Drops, Crashes, Driver Crashes 2014/07/26 22:14:49 (permalink)
    zeroseoul
    Self Bump: Instead of making a new thread, here I am!

No problem with that in this case, since your still on the same problem. Hope your able to get it fixed. Post back, and tell us how it went.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Gomez99
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2637
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re:660 Ti SC (Best Buy Version): Stuttering, Frame Drops, Crashes, Driver Crashes 2014/07/27 14:45:21 (permalink)
    zeroseoul

My own concern is, during memtest, oc scanner, and whatever other stress tester I throw at my machine, I have never had my machine BSOD, restart, freeze, or anything. Which in theory, during these tests the machine should be drawing a lot more power and placing more load on the PSU.

The problem with that is that you did not run them at the same time. Therefore it's either the cpu, memory, or the GPU being tested individually. Try running Prime95, 3dMark, and OC Scanner at the same time

zeroseoul
    Superclocked Member
    Re:660 Ti SC (Best Buy Version): Stuttering, Frame Drops, Crashes, Driver Crashes 2014/07/27 16:46:56 (permalink)
    I guess it is true that when i ran stress tests I never tested the GPU + other components. I never did check CPU utilization during OC Scanner or 3D Mark.

I'll try that as well, it makes sense I should draw as much power from the components to mimic a normal situation where I get my freezing.

A part of me wants to say that Dota 2 hardly puts a significant load on the CPU and OC Scanner may put in more, but I'll run the tests and see what the numbers churn out to.

Current Build:
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile