EVGA

eVGA 170 Stinger - Flashing White LED above the Motherboard 24 Pin Cable

Author
chagler
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2024/05/07 16:14:00 (permalink)
My Wife's PC suddenly stopped working after 7 Years...simple clean machine a 500MB SSD, MB, Memory, CPU and Cooler.

I have the eVGA 170 Stinger MB, and the PC will not power on...tried case switch and the mb switch. The PSU Fan does not spin, and could see no other lights on the MB.
  • I removed the motherboard from the case, plugged in the eVGA power supply, and only Motherboard and CPU power cables.  Removed the memory, HD, etc...
  • When I power on the power supply, a white led blinks in front of the Motherboard 24 pin power cable.  No lights on the debug digits, etc...
  • I initially thought the PSU was bad, but when I connect the EVGA 24 Pin Detection Tool to the PSU, the PSU fan starts to spin...so I assume the PSU is good? (I started on RMA on the PSU - but not sure that is even the issue - may cancel)
  • I read in some other threads that removing the IO shield solved similar problems - but I have the MB on a cardboard box with only the PSU plugged into the CPU and MB 24 pin power - and get same results - just a white blinking led in front of the 24 PIN MB Cable.

Any thoughts?  Is the MB bad?  I got a good 7 years out of it....wasn't sure if it was worth messing with or not?

Thanks!
Chris
post edited by chagler - 2024/05/07 18:29:30

4 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31075
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: eVGA 170 Stinger - Flashing White LED above the Motherboard 24 Pin Cable 2024/05/07 20:31:44 (permalink)
    Well barring any physical damage from an electric surge, or spilled liquid - I'd check

Have a second PSU to test with? (Only use PSU cables that came with the PSU)

- Pull the CMOS battery - especially if you have not changed in 7 years

- Clear CMOS

Tin whiskers or a failed component on the MB would be my guess if the above ideas fail

manual page 30

LED Status Indicators
    Theses LEDs indicate the system’s status and are located near the 24pin
    connector.

POWER LED (Green):  When the System is powered on: This LED is on.

DIMM LED (Yellow):  When the Memory slot is functional: This LED is on.

STANDBY LED (Blue):  When the System is in Standby Mode: This LED is on. This LED will
    remain on as long as the motherboard is receiving constant power.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

chagler
    • Total Posts : 7
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: eVGA 170 Stinger - Flashing White LED above the Motherboard 24 Pin Cable 2024/05/08 13:41:39 (permalink)
    Thanks - I'll pull that CMOS battery tonight and give the board a look over.  

Any idea what that flashing white LED above the 24 pin MB cable is supposed to indicate?  I don't see that listed in any of the MB diagrams.

Thanks...Chris
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: eVGA 170 Stinger - Flashing White LED above the Motherboard 24 Pin Cable 2024/05/09 06:30:21 (permalink)
    chagler
    Thanks - I'll pull that CMOS battery tonight and give the board a look over.  

Any idea what that flashing white LED above the 24 pin MB cable is supposed to indicate?  I don't see that listed in any of the MB diagrams.

Thanks...Chris

I do not see the LEDs position labeled in the manual & I do not have a z170 MB to look at

Are you saying your MB has 4 LED?

Where are these LED - between the 24-pin & the RAM?

Other thoughts:
    - Test with 1 stick RAM?
    - Have a spare CPU to test with?
    - Ask EVGA if you could get a replacement BIOS chip.  I have no idea if one is available or the price.
    - if new BIOS chip is not available, you would need the hardware to reinstall BIOS file

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: eVGA 170 Stinger - Flashing White LED above the Motherboard 24 Pin Cable 2024/05/09 08:22:26 (permalink)
    OK, found couple of older thread, it talks about flashing white LED - after changing search range to "from the beginning"
      Search EVGA Forums Z170 Stinger - "from the beginning"

Z170 Stinger 5VSB light - EVGA Forums
    billyfromhill
    Came home today to find my PC off and won't power on. The 5VSB LED light on my Z170 Stinger is flashing white next to the 24-pin MB connector when the PSU is connected to AC power. PSU is an EVGA Supernova 650 P2. Tested the PSU with a tester, powered right on. Checked 5V in the MB connector with a multimeter and got a good 5.05V. Checked 5V and 12V in one of the Molex connectors and got 5.05V and 12.33V also. MB I/O shield is not installed. Also tried disconecting the USB 3.0 header with no change.

Did not have any sort of power outage during the day. No power surge is obvious either. Both my PC and monitor were connected through a surge protector and all seems to be fine.

Any thoughts? I haven't had any issues with the PSU or MB since the PC was built in Fall 2016. Doesn't appear to be a bad PSU

& this: https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2678889
    (Snip)
    TylerQR
    But near my 24-pin called connector are three LED's. At the beginning of the user manual it doesn't list them but later on it does and mentions that the LED's I assume should be in this order and color from top to bottom Power LED (Green) Dimm LED (Yellow) Standby LED (Blue). But in my case it is as follows Power LED (White) Dimm LED (Yellow) Standby LED (Blue).

Full Quote
    TylerQR
    I recently built my first PC and my motherboard of choice was the Z170 Stinger because it is ITX and fits well into my case. After completing the build I had a number of problems to which I've sorted out and things seem to going well. Yesterday I did some cable management and updated my BIOS. Upon turning the system on everything went well. But near my 24-pin called connector are three LED's. At the beginning of the user manual it doesn't list them but later on it does and mentions that the LED's I assume should be in this order and color from top to bottom Power LED (Green) Dimm LED (Yellow) Standby LED (Blue). But in my case it is as follows Power LED (White) Dimm LED (Yellow) Standby LED (Blue). My system is completely functional and working I've installed the OS have great temps and everything but I'm just curios should this be a cause for concern. Prior to cable management I never really paid any attention to it but now I'm wondering if I should be. Will post a picture below. Any answers would be greatly appreciated since this is indeed my first build and I've had my fair share of problems with it so once again any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile