Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Horvat
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3837
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 9
2009/11/07 09:26:58 (permalink)
This guide is for setting up multiple GPU's along with using WinAFC to automatically set the affinity and priority as each new Work Unit is downloaded and started. I use WinAFC and not Lasso because I set the prioriteis and affinity for the VMware with command lines in the .vmx file that precludes the need for Lasso to do that. I am using Windows 7 so the pathways to some of the files may be a little different with XP and Vista.

Step 1:

First you must have your desktop extended to to all the GPU's in Vista and Windows 7. My understanding is that with XP you do not have to do this step. But for XP you do need to enable the multiple display mode in the display settings. Also, if you are using the 191.07 or newer drivers and have SLI enabled you do not have to use dummy plugs or extend the desktop for Vista and 7. I still use the bridge so I am not sure if SLI without the bridge will work. I do get more PPD with SLI disabled and use dummy plugs.

To extend the desktop: have your monitor connected to the primary port on the primary video card. Then install a dummy plug on the primary connector of each subsequent video card. Note: if you have a dual GPU card, ie; a 9800 GX2 or a GTX 295 you must have a dummy plug on all the video connectors on all the cards. One dummy plug for each GPU, except for the connector the monitor is attached to of course. Use this link for the instructions on making a dummy plug. Note: you actually only have to jump pin 1 and 6 with one resistor for it to work. The ones all the way on the right in the bottom picture. [link=http://www.overclock.net/overclock-net-folding-home-team/384733-30-second-dummy-plug.html]http://www.overclock.net/...second-dummy-plug.html[/link] . Also you can use up to a 100 ohm resistor. Then right click on your desktop and then left click on Personalize(this is what Windows 7 has), then in the bottom left click on display, then on left upper side click on change display settings, then click detect. You should see your primary or real monitor listed and smaller generic monitors listed that are the dummy plugs. Left click on the picture of each monitor and make sure that it says extend desktop to this display for each of the monitors. You will know they are when the picture of the monitor is blue and not grey. If they are not extended, drop that box down, click on extend desktop to this display and then click apply. You have to do this one at a time for each monitor. Make sure you keep the real monitor as the primary monitor. DO NOT check mark the box that says make this my main display for the generic monitors/dummy plugs. You will lose your display image and it will go black.

Step 2:

Create a new folder and name it GPU for now. You can put it on your desktop or your primary or secondary hard drive, if you have one. You want the file path short, ie; C:\GPU or D:\GPU. I put mine on the secondary hard drive. That way if you want to reinstall or install a new OS you do not lose the folding folders. All you have to doe is to create new shortcuts to the
folding@home.exe files, the file with colored bubbles. Note: If you do not have secondary hard drive and are going to reinstall or install a new OS, you can copy your folding folders to a USB storage drive and then copy them back to your system after you install the OS and create the new shortcuts at that time.

Step 3:

Download the NVIDA GPU client for Windows from this link to the EVGA website,
[link=http://www.evga.com/folding/download.asp%3C/a%3E%3C/U%3E%3C/font%3E%3C/font%3E%3C/font%3E%3C/font%3E]http://www.evga.com/foldi...%3C/font%3E%3C/font%3E[/link] , click on where it says HERE. Go ahead and install it. IMPORTANT: do not start the client after you have installed it and also make sure it did not install a shortcut in the startup folder. To check, click on Start>All Programs>Startup. If it did, delete it by right clicking on it and left clicking delete.

Step 4:

Navigate to the folder where the program was installed, which will be on your C: >Program Files (x86)>Folding@home. There are two files you are going to copy to the folder you made in Step 2. The file with the trademark F@H colored bubbles and one that is named viewer. I do not think you really need the viewer file, it is the application that lets you see the protein folding and trust me you do not want to open it and watch. It's pretty to look at but it will kill your PPD production and could possiblly crash your computer. This feature has been notoriously unstable since day one and even Stanford still recommends not using it. After you have done that you need to enable View Hidden folders. Go to Start>Control Panel>Folder Options. Click on the View tab, seven lines down it says Show hidden files, folders and drives. Click the dot to the left of it and then click Apply. Now, navigate to C:>Users>Main>AppData>Roaming>Folding@home-gpu. For XP it is C:\Documents and settings\Administrator(or whatever the name of your computer is)\Application Data\Folding@home-gpu. There are two files in this folder you want to copy to the folder you created in Step 2, cudart.dll and data_nv. The data_nv file is not necessary but will not hurt by putting in your folder. Once you have those files copied to your folder you can reverse the Folder Option to not show hidden files if you like.

Step 5:

Download WinAFC from this link,
[link=http://sourceforge.net/projects/affinitychanger/%3C/a%3E%3C/U%3E%3C/font%3E%3C/font%3E%3C/font%3E%3C/font%3E]http://sourceforge.net/pr...%3C/font%3E%3C/font%3E[/link] and save it to where ever you save files to on your computer. Now, open this folder all the way till it is showing all the files that are in it. Copy all these files and put them in the GPU folder along with the Folding@home files you put in it from Steps 2, 3 and 4.

Step 6:

Now, make a copy of the folder you created so that you have one folder for each GPU you are going to fold on. I named them GPU1, GPU2 and so on if you have more GPU's.

Step 7:

Open each GPU folder one at a time and right click on the
folding@home.exe file(the one with the pretty colored bubbles), click on "Send to" and then "Desktop". This will create a shortcut for each .exe file that you can use to start each client individually. Then rename each shortcut as you create them to corrospond to the GPU folders, ie; folder GPU1 has shortcut named GPU1 and so on. I would reccomend doing this one at a time to avoid mixing them up. I do this, along with rearranging the foling@home icons in the task bar to be in numerical order, so if I have problems with one of the clients while it is running, I know immediately which one it is.

Step 8:

While you are in folder GPU1, create a shortcut for the WinAFC file(the one that is four small colored squares making one larger sqaure) just like you did for the
folding@home.exe files in Step 7. You only need to do this once, ie; only make one shortcut for WinAFC.

Step 9:

Time to startup the programs one by one and configure them. First, double click the WinAFC shortcut to start it and let it run. A window will open up, run and then it will reach a point where it stops and gives a message in yellow. Once it has reached this point, close the window.

Step 10:

Now open the first GPU folder. We will edit the WinAFC file first. Open the file that says: "affinityinput". It should automatically open with Notepad. At the end of the second paragraph it says: TestMode = 1, change the 1 to a 0. Now scroll down to where the line looks like this:

##################################################
## Application Profile lines <(add the command lines here)

and paste the appropriate command lines in the above section so it looks like this:

## Application Profile lines
*\FahCore_11.exe := PAIR0+PAIR1+PAIR2+PAIR3 [priority=High]
*\FahCore_14.exe := PAIR0+PAIR1+PAIR2+PAIR3 [priority=High]

Note: the above setup for an i7. Use the appropriate command lines below for your processor: 

For Dual core processors use this command:

*\FahCore_11.exe := PAIR0 [priority=High]
*\FahCore_14.exe := PAIR0 [priority=High] 

For Quad core processors use this command:

*\FahCore_11.exe := PAIR0+PAIR1 [priority=High]
*\FahCore_14.exe := PAIR0+PAIR1 [priority=High]

For i7 processors use this command:

*\FahCore_11.exe := PAIR0+PAIR1+PAIR2+PAIR3 [priority=High]
*\FahCore_14.exe := PAIR0+PAIR1+PAIR2+PAIR3 [priority=High] 

Note: where it says [prority=HIGH], you can change it so it will automatically set the priority to whatever you want, ie; [prioity=NORMAL] or what ever priority level you want. I leave it at HIGH. Win AFC cannot set the priority to Realtime. The important thing is to have the priority set higher than your VMware which should be set at idle or low. Change the priorities around if you like to find the setting that works best and gives you the most PPD. I believe WinAFC has to be stopped to edit the file.

Save the changes and close the file. Repeat this step for the "affinityinput" file in each GPU folder. 

Step 11: 

Now we will start up and configure each GPU client one at a time. Double click your shortcut for GPU1, the little bubble icon should appear in the task bar at he bottom right of your screen and a window should open up. In this first tab that is labeled "User", type in your User(folding) name, Team number and Passkey in the appropriate lines. Then click on the "Connection" tab and check mark the box in front of "Allow receipt of work assignments and return of results greater than 10MB in size". Now click on the "Advanced" tab, click the dot next to "Core Priority:" that says "Slightly higher". Check mark the box that says "Do NOT lock cores to specific CPU". In line at the bottom that says "Additional Client Parameters" we will add the GPU flags and in the box below that set the Machine ID. Paste the appropriate line for each GPU client. By adding the flags here you do not have to modify the shortcut properties, ie; the target path line in the shortcut properties window. 

For GPU1:

-gpu 0 -forcegpu nvidia_g80 -advmethods

make this Machine ID 1 and click OK. 

For GPU2:

-gpu 1 -forcegpu nvidia_g80 -advmethods

make this Machine ID2 and click OK. 

and so on for each GPU client with the following flag lines: 

-gpu 2 -forcegpu nvidia_g80 -advmethods (make this Machine ID 3)
-gpu 3 -forcegpu nvidia_g80 -advmethods (make this Machine ID 4)
-gpu 4 -forcegpu nvidia_g80 -advmethods (make this Machine ID 5)
-gpu 5 -forcegpu nvidia_g80 -advmethods (make this Machine ID 6) 

There is also a flag, -verbosity 9, you can add to each line that creates more detailed fahlogs as the clients run. Example: -gpu 0 -forcegpu nvidia_g80 -advmethods -verbosity 9

You get the idea. If you have more than 6 GPU's, just change the -gpu number to the next consecutive number and then use the next consecutive Machine ID number. You can use any Machine ID number combination you want AS LONG AS
none of the GPU clients on the same computer have the same Machine ID number. You do not have to worry about Machine ID number conflicts with VMware since they run as there own separate entities. 

NOTE: As you do this, once you have configured the GPU client, you need to stop the client and restart it for the configuration to be accepted. So as you configure each client, put your cursor on the bubble icon in the task bar, right click and then left click on "Quit". Repeat this step for each GPU client one at a time.

You have now setup and configured all your GPU software. 

Step 12: 

Now start your GPU clients one at a time. As the icons appear in the task bar, right click on them and then left click on "Configure" and open each of the tabs just ot make sure they have configured the way you set them up. 

Step 13: 

Once you have all the GPU clients running, double click your WinAFC shortcut and start it up. When the window opens and runs you should see two entry lines for each fahcore, one that shows the CPU core setting and one that shows the priority setting. Once that is done running make sure that window is the currently viewed window and press Ctrl and C at the same time and it will minimize to the task bar and be out of the way. 

Step 14: 

Now to setup Fahmon to see the GPU clients. Open Fahmon, right click in the white area of the window and click on "Add a new client". In the first line type in the name you want for that particular GPU client. In the second line, click on the box with the three dots in it next to line that says "location" and navigate to that particular GPU folder and then click "OK". Repeat this step for each GPU client. The process is nearly identical for HFM.NET also.

You are done. Hopefully there are no problems and you can sit back and watch your computer produce mass PPD's. 

CREDITS:

Although I developed my own method of setting up all the folding clients in my own way, I want to give full credit to _Nite_ on the EVGA folding@home forum for the WinAFC portion of this guide. I would not have been able to obtain the GPU PPD I produce without that part.
post edited by Horvat - 2010/02/20 14:12:18

72 Replies Related Threads

barnhartmd051977
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1476
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/07 09:28:26 (permalink)
    STICKY PLEASE

HEATWARE

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/07 09:32:12 (permalink)
     Barnhart quit stalking me. ROFLMAO.

barnhartmd051977
    FTW Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/07 09:45:41 (permalink)
    No one else around, besides someone has to keep an eye on the squirrel...

HEATWARE

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/07 09:47:17 (permalink)
    True, so true. Ouch, stop that squirrel.

barnhartmd051977
    FTW Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/09 10:48:29 (permalink)
    Still No Sticky

HEATWARE

GhostImage
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 358
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/09 17:47:12 (permalink)
    Horvat. I need a little bit of help. I tried to set up my second GPU to fold. I tried to install it twice. No go I don't know what Im doing Wrong. The WinAFC shows only core 11 in progress but nothing on 14. The fahmon snows progress on 285 but the second client keeps downloading the WU but as soon it gets going somewhere between the lines It says

[01:32:34]
    [01:32:34] *------------------------------*
    [01:32:34] Folding@Home GPU Core - Beta
    [01:32:34] Version 1.19 (Mon Nov 3 09:34:13 PST 2008)
    [01:32:34] Compiler  : Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 14.00.50727.762 for 80x86
    [01:32:34] Build host: amoeba
    [01:32:34] Board Type: Nvidia
    [01:32:34] Core      :
    [01:32:34] Preparing to commence simulation
    [01:32:34] - Looking at optimizations...
    [01:32:34] - Created dyn
    [01:32:34] - Files status OK
    [01:32:34] - Expanded 46718 -> 252912 (decompressed 541.3 percent)
    [01:32:34] Called DecompressByteArray: compressed_data_size=46718 data_size=252912, decompressed_data_size=252912 diff=0
    [01:32:34] - Digital signature verified
    [01:32:34] Project: 5766 (Run 13, Clone 348, Gen 476)
    [01:32:34] Assembly optimizations on if available.
    [01:32:34] Entering M.D.
    [01:32:41] Working on Protein
    [01:32:41] Run: exception thrown during GuardedRun
    [01:32:41] Run: exception thrown in GuardedRun -- Gromacs cannot continue further.
    [01:32:41] Going to send back what have done -- stepsTotalG=0
    [01:32:41] Work fraction=0.0000 steps=0.
    [01:32:45] logfile size=0 infoLength=0 edr=0 trr=23
    [01:32:45] - Writing 635 bytes of core data to disk...
    [01:32:45] Done: 123 -> 124 (compressed to 100.8 percent)
    [01:32:45]   ... Done.
    [01:32:45]
    [01:32:45] Folding@home Core Shutdown: UNSTABLE_MACHINE
    [01:32:49] CoreStatus = 7A (122)
    [01:32:49] Sending work to server
    [01:32:49] Project: 5766 (Run 13, Clone 348, Gen 476)
    [01:32:49] - Read packet limit of 540015616... Set to 524286976.

[01:32:49] + Attempting to send results [November 10 01:32:49 UTC]
    [01:32:49] - Reading file work/wuresults_02.dat from core
    [01:32:49]   (Read 636 bytes from disk)
    [01:32:49] Connecting to http://171.67.108.11:8080/
    [01:32:49] Posted data.
    [01:32:49] Initial: 0000; Conversation time very short, giving reduced weight in bandwidth avg
    [01:32:49] - Uploaded at ~3 kB/s
    [01:32:49] - Averaged speed for that direction ~5 kB/s
    [01:32:49] + Results successfully sent
    [01:32:49] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@Home.
    [01:32:53] EUE limit exceeded. Pausing 24 hours.
    [01:34:06] ***** Got a SIGTERM signal (2)
    [01:34:06] Killing all core threads

( I made a Dummy plug and Extended a monitor)
    And it stuck at 26% I honestly dont know what to do. I hope you can help an Idiot
    If you need any info Im all in. Kind of frustrating. Cause I know the card is fine.
    Thank you.

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/09 18:09:38 (permalink)
    The WinAFC will only read the core that is running at the time you start WinAFC. Which right now the fahcore_11 is what is running, those are the core 1.19. The fahcore_14 is the core 1.25 and 1.26. When one of those WU 's is downloaded WinAFC will detect it and automatically set the priority and the affinity. No problems there.

Now for the Unsatble Machine. Do you have the card OC'd? If so you only need to OC the shaders and if it is to high you will get errors. If your card is OC'd keep the gpu and the memory at stock, unlink the core and shaders if you are using Precison and just turn the shaders up one notch. Repeat this process until you get errors and then turn the shader back down one notch. With the dummy plug do you have SLI disabled? If not disable it and turn PhysX off while you're at it. I never use it for folding. If that is the case, after you turn SLI and PhysX off go into the folding folder and delete the work folder, the queue.dat and the unitinfo files then restart the client. Deleting those three items will reset the client without deleting the client configuration.

GhostImage
    iCX Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/09 18:30:06 (permalink)
    Ok, first, thanks a lot for you time.
    I have to cards on the rig Im folding with. (the 1st in the sig) first card it 285 SC OC to 1685/1566/1296 folds beautifuly 
    second card Is gts 250 SC at stock settings - 770/1890/1123.
    Sli - no
    Physx - disable.
    I tried to lower Sh clock and all clocks but it didnt give me any results.
    I also delited the files you've mentioned. No go their Here is the log from the Fahmon since i restarted it.

a.
    [02:18:28] Initial: 0000; - Receiving payload (expected size: 67610)
    [02:18:29] - Downloaded at ~66 kB/s
    [02:18:29] - Averaged speed for that direction ~66 kB/s
    [02:18:29] + Received work.
    [02:18:29] + Closed connections
    [02:18:29]
    [02:18:29] + Processing work unit
    [02:18:29] Core required: FahCore_11.exe
    [02:18:29] Core found.
    [02:18:29] Working on queue slot 06 [November 10 02:18:29 UTC]
    [02:18:29] + Working ...
    [02:18:29] - Calling '.\FahCore_11.exe -dir work/ -suffix 06 -priority 96 -nocpulock -checkpoint 3 -verbose -lifeline 1440 -version 623'

[02:18:29] *------------------------------*
    [02:18:29] Folding@Home GPU Core - Beta
    [02:18:29] Version 1.19 (Mon Nov 3 09:34:13 PST 2008)
    [02:18:29] Compiler  : Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 14.00.50727.762 for 80x86
    [02:18:29] Build host: amoeba
    [02:18:29] Board Type: Nvidia
    [02:18:29] Core      :
    [02:18:29] Preparing to commence simulation
    [02:18:29] - Looking at optimizations...
    [02:18:29] - Created dyn
    [02:18:29] - Files status OK
    [02:18:29] - Expanded 67098 -> 348420 (decompressed 519.2 percent)
    [02:18:29] Called DecompressByteArray: compressed_data_size=67098 data_size=348420, decompressed_data_size=348420 diff=0
    [02:18:29] - Digital signature verified
    [02:18:29] Project: 5794 (Run 0, Clone 660, Gen 28)
    [02:18:29] Assembly optimizations on if available.
    [02:18:29] Entering M.D.
    [02:18:36] Working on Protein
    [02:18:36] Run: exception thrown during GuardedRun
    [02:18:36] Run: exception thrown in GuardedRun -- Gromacs cannot continue further.
    [02:18:36] Going to send back what have done -- stepsTotalG=0
    [02:18:36] Work fraction=0.0000 steps=0.
    [02:18:40] logfile size=0 infoLength=0 edr=0 trr=23
    [02:18:40] - Writing 635 bytes of core data to disk...
    [02:18:40] Done: 123 -> 124 (compressed to 100.8 percent)
    [02:18:40]   ... Done.
    [02:18:40]
    [02:18:40] Folding@home Core Shutdown: UNSTABLE_MACHINE
    [02:18:43] CoreStatus = 7A (122)
    [02:18:43] Sending work to server
    [02:18:43] Project: 5794 (Run 0, Clone 660, Gen 28)
    [02:18:43] - Read packet limit of 540015616... Set to 524286976.

[02:18:43] + Attempting to send results [November 10 02:18:43 UTC]
    [02:18:43] - Reading file work/wuresults_06.dat from core
    [02:18:43]   (Read 636 bytes from disk)
    [02:18:43] Connecting to http://171.64.65.106:8080/
    [02:18:44] Posted data.
    [02:18:44] Initial: 0000; - Uploaded at ~1 kB/s
    [02:18:44] - Averaged speed for that direction ~1 kB/s
    [02:18:44] + Results successfully sent
    [02:18:44] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@Home.
    [02:18:48] Trying to send all finished work units
    [02:18:48] + No unsent completed units remaining.
    [02:18:48] - Preparing to get new work unit...
    [02:18:48] + Attempting to get work packet
    [02:18:48] - Will indicate memory of 8190 MB
    [02:18:48] - Connecting to assignment server
    [02:18:48] Connecting to http://assign-GPU.stanford.edu:8080/
    [02:18:49] Posted data.
    [02:18:49] Initial: 40AB; - Successful: assigned to (171.64.65.106).
    [02:18:49] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
    [02:18:49] Loaded queue successfully.
    [02:18:49] Connecting to http://171.64.65.106:8080/
    [02:18:49] Posted data.
    [02:18:49] Initial: 0000; - Receiving payload (expected size: 69034)
    [02:18:50] - Downloaded at ~67 kB/s
    [02:18:50] - Averaged speed for that direction ~66 kB/s
    [02:18:50] + Received work.
    [02:18:50] Trying to send all finished work units
    [02:18:50] + No unsent completed units remaining.
    [02:18:50] + Closed connections
    [02:18:55]
    [02:18:55] + Processing work unit
    [02:18:55] Core required: FahCore_11.exe
    [02:18:55] Core found.
    [02:18:55] Working on queue slot 07 [November 10 02:18:55 UTC]
    [02:18:55] + Working ...
    [02:18:55] - Calling '.\FahCore_11.exe -dir work/ -suffix 07 -priority 96 -nocpulock -checkpoint 3 -verbose -lifeline 1440 -version 623'

[02:18:55] *------------------------------*
    [02:18:55] Folding@Home GPU Core - Beta
    [02:18:55] Version 1.19 (Mon Nov 3 09:34:13 PST 2008)
    [02:18:55] Compiler  : Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 14.00.50727.762 for 80x86
    [02:18:55] Build host: amoeba
    [02:18:55] Board Type: Nvidia
    [02:18:55] Core      :
    [02:18:55] Preparing to commence simulation
    [02:18:55] - Looking at optimizations...
    [02:18:55] - Created dyn
    [02:18:55] - Files status OK
    [02:18:55] - Expanded 68522 -> 357580 (decompressed 521.8 percent)
    [02:18:55] Called DecompressByteArray: compressed_data_size=68522 data_size=357580, decompressed_data_size=357580 diff=0
    [02:18:55] - Digital signature verified
    [02:18:55] Project: 5763 (Run 6, Clone 760, Gen 5)
    [02:18:55] Assembly optimizations on if available.
    [02:18:55] Entering M.D.
    [02:19:02] Working on Protein
    [02:19:02] Run: exception thrown during GuardedRun
    [02:19:02] Run: exception thrown in GuardedRun -- Gromacs cannot continue further.
    [02:19:02] Going to send back what have done -- stepsTotalG=0
    [02:19:02] Work fraction=0.0000 steps=0.
    [02:19:06] logfile size=0 infoLength=0 edr=0 trr=23
    [02:19:06] - Writing 635 bytes of core data to disk...
    [02:19:06] Done: 123 -> 124 (compressed to 100.8 percent)
    [02:19:06]   ... Done.
    [02:19:06]
    [02:19:06] Folding@home Core Shutdown: UNSTABLE_MACHINE
    [02:19:10] CoreStatus = 7A (122)
    [02:19:10] Sending work to server
    [02:19:10] Project: 5763 (Run 6, Clone 760, Gen 5)
    [02:19:10] - Read packet limit of 540015616... Set to 524286976.

[02:19:10] + Attempting to send results [November 10 02:19:10 UTC]
    [02:19:10] - Reading file work/wuresults_07.dat from core
    [02:19:10]   (Read 636 bytes from disk)
    [02:19:10] Connecting to http://171.64.65.106:8080/
    [02:19:10] Posted data.
    [02:19:10] Initial: 0000; Conversation time very short, giving reduced weight in bandwidth avg
    [02:19:10] - Uploaded at ~3 kB/s
    [02:19:10] - Averaged speed for that direction ~1 kB/s
    [02:19:10] + Results successfully sent
    [02:19:10] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@Home.
    [02:19:14] Trying to send all finished work units
    [02:19:14] + No unsent completed units remaining.
    [02:19:14] - Preparing to get new work unit...
    [02:19:14] + Attempting to get work packet
    [02:19:14] - Will indicate memory of 8190 MB
    [02:19:14] - Connecting to assignment server
    [02:19:14] Connecting to http://assign-GPU.stanford.edu:8080/
    [02:19:15] Posted data.
    [02:19:15] Initial: 40AB; - Successful: assigned to (171.64.65.106).
    [02:19:15] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
    [02:19:15] Loaded queue successfully.
    [02:19:15] Connecting to http://171.64.65.106:8080/
    [02:19:16] Posted data.
    [02:19:16] Initial: 0000; - Receiving payload (expected size: 67544)
    [02:19:16] Conversation time very short, giving reduced weight in bandwidth avg
    [02:19:16] - Downloaded at ~131 kB/s
    [02:19:16] - Averaged speed for that direction ~73 kB/s
    [02:19:16] + Received work.
    [02:19:16] Trying to send all finished work units
    [02:19:16] + No unsent completed units remaining.
    [02:19:16] + Closed connections
    [02:19:21]
    [02:19:21] + Processing work unit
    [02:19:21] Core required: FahCore_11.exe
    [02:19:21] Core found.
    [02:19:21] Working on queue slot 08 [November 10 02:19:21 UTC]
    [02:19:21] + Working ...
    [02:19:21] - Calling '.\FahCore_11.exe -dir work/ -suffix 08 -priority 96 -nocpulock -checkpoint 3 -verbose -lifeline 1440 -version 623'

[02:19:22]
    [02:19:22] *------------------------------*
    [02:19:22] Folding@Home GPU Core - Beta
    [02:19:22] Version 1.19 (Mon Nov 3 09:34:13 PST 2008)
    [02:19:22] Compiler  : Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 14.00.50727.762 for 80x86
    [02:19:22] Build host: amoeba
    [02:19:22] Board Type: Nvidia
    [02:19:22] Core      :
    [02:19:22] Preparing to commence simulation
    [02:19:22] - Looking at optimizations...
    [02:19:22] - Created dyn
    [02:19:22] - Files status OK
    [02:19:22] - Expanded 67032 -> 348420 (decompressed 519.7 percent)
    [02:19:22] Called DecompressByteArray: compressed_data_size=67032 data_size=348420, decompressed_data_size=348420 diff=0
    [02:19:22] - Digital signature verified
    [02:19:22] Project: 5794 (Run 20, Clone 689, Gen 10)
    [02:19:22] Assembly optimizations on if available.
    [02:19:22] Entering M.D.
    [02:19:28] Working on Protein
    [02:19:28] Run: exception thrown during GuardedRun
    [02:19:28] Run: exception thrown in GuardedRun -- Gromacs cannot continue further.
    [02:19:28] Going to send back what have done -- stepsTotalG=0
    [02:19:28] Work fraction=0.0000 steps=0.
    [02:19:32] logfile size=0 infoLength=0 edr=0 trr=23
    [02:19:32] - Writing 635 bytes of core data to disk...
    [02:19:32] Done: 123 -> 124 (compressed to 100.8 percent)
    [02:19:32]   ... Done.
    [02:19:32]
    [02:19:32] Folding@home Core Shutdown: UNSTABLE_MACHINE
    [02:19:36] CoreStatus = 7A (122)
    [02:19:36] Sending work to server
    [02:19:36] Project: 5794 (Run 20, Clone 689, Gen 10)
    [02:19:36] - Read packet limit of 540015616... Set to 524286976.

[02:19:36] + Attempting to send results [November 10 02:19:36 UTC]
    [02:19:36] - Reading file work/wuresults_08.dat from core
    [02:19:36]   (Read 636 bytes from disk)
    [02:19:36] Connecting to http://171.64.65.106:8080/
    [02:19:36] Posted data.
    [02:19:36] Initial: 0000; Conversation time very short, giving reduced weight in bandwidth avg
    [02:19:36] - Uploaded at ~3 kB/s
    [02:19:36] - Averaged speed for that direction ~2 kB/s
    [02:19:36] + Results successfully sent
    [02:19:36] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@Home.
    [02:19:40] Trying to send all finished work units
    [02:19:40] + No unsent completed units remaining.
    [02:19:40] - Preparing to get new work unit...
    [02:19:40] + Attempting to get work packet
    [02:19:40] - Will indicate memory of 8190 MB
    [02:19:40] - Connecting to assignment server
    [02:19:40] Connecting to http://assign-GPU.stanford.edu:8080/
    [02:19:41] Posted data.
    [02:19:41] Initial: 40AB; - Successful: assigned to (171.64.65.106).
    [02:19:41] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
    [02:19:41] Loaded queue successfully.
    [02:19:41] Connecting to http://171.64.65.106:8080/
    [02:19:42] Posted data.
    [02:19:42] Initial: 0000; - Receiving payload (expected size: 67849)
    [02:19:43] - Downloaded at ~66 kB/s
    [02:19:43] - Averaged speed for that direction ~72 kB/s
    [02:19:43] + Received work.
    [02:19:43] Trying to send all finished work units
    [02:19:43] + No unsent completed units remaining.
    [02:19:43] + Closed connections
    [02:19:48]
    [02:19:48] + Processing work unit
    [02:19:48] Core required: FahCore_11.exe
    [02:19:48] Core found.
    [02:19:48] Working on queue slot 09 [November 10 02:19:48 UTC]
    [02:19:48] + Working ...
    [02:19:48] - Calling '.\FahCore_11.exe -dir work/ -suffix 09 -priority 96 -nocpulock -checkpoint 3 -verbose -lifeline 1440 -version 623'

[02:19:48] *------------------------------*
    [02:19:48] Folding@Home GPU Core - Beta
    [02:19:48] Version 1.19 (Mon Nov 3 09:34:13 PST 2008)
    [02:19:48] Compiler  : Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 14.00.50727.762 for 80x86
    [02:19:48] Build host: amoeba
    [02:19:48] Board Type: Nvidia
    [02:19:48] Core      :
    [02:19:48] Preparing to commence simulation
    [02:19:48] - Looking at optimizations...
    [02:19:48] - Created dyn
    [02:19:48] - Files status OK
    [02:19:48] - Expanded 67337 -> 350744 (decompressed 520.8 percent)
    [02:19:48] Called DecompressByteArray: compressed_data_size=67337 data_size=350744, decompressed_data_size=350744 diff=0
    [02:19:48] - Digital signature verified
    [02:19:48] Project: 5791 (Run 4, Clone 707, Gen 5)
    [02:19:48] Assembly optimizations on if available.
    [02:19:48] Entering M.D.
    [02:19:54] Working on Protein
    [02:19:54] Run: exception thrown during GuardedRun
    [02:19:54] Run: exception thrown in GuardedRun -- Gromacs cannot continue further.
    [02:19:54] Going to send back what have done -- stepsTotalG=0
    [02:19:54] Work fraction=0.0000 steps=0.
    [02:19:58] logfile size=0 infoLength=0 edr=0 trr=23
    [02:19:58] - Writing 635 bytes of core data to disk...
    [02:19:58] Done: 123 -> 124 (compressed to 100.8 percent)
    [02:19:58]   ... Done.
    [02:19:58]
    [02:19:58] Folding@home Core Shutdown: UNSTABLE_MACHINE
    [02:20:02] CoreStatus = 7A (122)
    [02:20:02] Sending work to server
    [02:20:02] Project: 5791 (Run 4, Clone 707, Gen 5)
    [02:20:02] - Read packet limit of 540015616... Set to 524286976.

[02:20:02] + Attempting to send results [November 10 02:20:02 UTC]
    [02:20:02] - Reading file work/wuresults_09.dat from core
    [02:20:02]   (Read 636 bytes from disk)
    [02:20:02] Connecting to http://171.64.65.106:8080/
    [02:20:03] Posted data.
    [02:20:03] Initial: 0000; - Uploaded at ~1 kB/s
    [02:20:03] - Averaged speed for that direction ~1 kB/s
    [02:20:03] + Results successfully sent
    [02:20:03] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@Home.
    [02:20:07] Trying to send all finished work units
    [02:20:07] + No unsent completed units remaining.
    [02:20:07] - Preparing to get new work unit...
    [02:20:07] + Attempting to get work packet
    [02:20:07] - Will indicate memory of 8190 MB
    [02:20:07] - Connecting to assignment server
    [02:20:07] Connecting to http://assign-GPU.stanford.edu:8080/
    [02:20:07] Posted data.
    [02:20:07] Initial: 40AB; - Successful: assigned to (171.64.65.106).
    [02:20:07] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
    [02:20:08] Loaded queue successfully.
    [02:20:08] Connecting to http://171.64.65.106:8080/
    [02:20:08] Posted data.
    [02:20:08] Initial: 0000; - Receiving payload (expected size: 67652)
    [02:20:09] - Downloaded at ~66 kB/s
    [02:20:09] - Averaged speed for that direction ~71 kB/s
    [02:20:09] + Received work.
    [02:20:09] Trying to send all finished work units
    [02:20:09] + No unsent completed units remaining.
    [02:20:09] + Closed connections
    [02:20:14]
    [02:20:14] + Processing work unit
    [02:20:14] Core required: FahCore_11.exe
    [02:20:14] Core found.
    [02:20:14] Working on queue slot 00 [November 10 02:20:14 UTC]
    [02:20:14] + Working ...
    [02:20:14] - Calling '.\FahCore_11.exe -dir work/ -suffix 00 -priority 96 -nocpulock -checkpoint 3 -verbose -lifeline 1440 -version 623'

[02:20:14] *------------------------------*
    [02:20:14] Folding@Home GPU Core - Beta
    [02:20:14] Version 1.19 (Mon Nov 3 09:34:13 PST 2008)
    [02:20:14] Compiler  : Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 14.00.50727.762 for 80x86
    [02:20:14] Build host: amoeba
    [02:20:14] Board Type: Nvidia
    [02:20:14] Core      :
    [02:20:14] Preparing to commence simulation
    [02:20:14] - Looking at optimizations...
    [02:20:14] - Created dyn
    [02:20:14] - Files status OK
    [02:20:14] - Expanded 67140 -> 348420 (decompressed 518.9 percent)
    [02:20:14] Called DecompressByteArray: compressed_data_size=67140 data_size=348420, decompressed_data_size=348420 diff=0
    [02:20:14] - Digital signature verified
    [02:20:14] Project: 5796 (Run 7, Clone 724, Gen 3)
    [02:20:14] Assembly optimizations on if available.
    [02:20:14] Entering M.D.
    [02:20:21] Working on Protein
    [02:20:21] Run: exception thrown during GuardedRun
    [02:20:21] Run: exception thrown in GuardedRun -- Gromacs cannot continue further.
    [02:20:21] Going to send back what have done -- stepsTotalG=0
    [02:20:21] Work fraction=0.0000 steps=0.
    [02:20:25] logfile size=0 infoLength=0 edr=0 trr=23
    [02:20:25] - Writing 635 bytes of core data to disk...
    [02:20:25] Done: 123 -> 123 (compressed to 100.0 percent)
    [02:20:25]   ... Done.
    [02:20:25]
    [02:20:25] Folding@home Core Shutdown: UNSTABLE_MACHINE
    [02:20:28] CoreStatus = 7A (122)
    [02:20:28] Sending work to server
    [02:20:28] Project: 5796 (Run 7, Clone 724, Gen 3)
    [02:20:28] - Read packet limit of 540015616... Set to 524286976.

[02:20:28] + Attempting to send results [November 10 02:20:28 UTC]
    [02:20:28] - Reading file work/wuresults_00.dat from core
    [02:20:28]   (Read 635 bytes from disk)
    [02:20:28] Connecting to http://171.64.65.106:8080/
    [02:20:29] Posted data.
    [02:20:29] Initial: 0000; - Uploaded at ~1 kB/s
    [02:20:29] - Averaged speed for that direction ~1 kB/s
    [02:20:29] + Results successfully sent
    [02:20:29] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@Home.
    [02:20:33] EUE limit exceeded. Pausing 24 hours.

any Ideas, Thanks in advance,

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/09 18:39:25 (permalink)
    Ah Ha. Two different models of cards. That splains it Lucy. Ok, do you have the 191.07 driver? If not install it. Second, once yo have done that delete the work folder, the queeue.dat and unitinfo files and the fahcore_11 and fahcore_14 files and restart the client. Since the 250 has a high shader setting already leave it at stock settings and just turn the fan up manually to keep the heat down. Let me know what happens. Getting two different series of cards to fold on one machine can be difficult.

GhostImage
    iCX Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/09 18:55:42 (permalink)
    Thanks man, good to know.
    Listen I dont want to sound all paranoid and stuff. But Ive heard some really bad things about 191.07 driver, and it's conflicts with NF200 chip Mobos/GPUs. I just want to know what do you think about It. Im sure you.ve read Mikotan's thread about it. So I just feel a littlle Uneasy about it. Is there any other driver you'd recommend. Or you think Id be fine installing .07
    Thanks. :)

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/09 21:12:31 (permalink)
    I have not read that thread, please post a link to it. I have no problem with the 191.07 drivers and I have it on all my Rigs. Refer to my sig. I have two X58 boards, a G41 and what ever a Dell Vostro is, I think it is a G33.

wb488641
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4205
    • Ribbons : 18
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/09 23:03:59 (permalink)
    Horvat

I have not read that thread, please post a link to it. I have no problem with the 191.07 drivers and I have it on all my Rigs. Refer to my sig. I have two X58 boards, a G41 and what ever a Dell Vostro is, I think it is a G33.

it only affect the NF200 chipset. try another driver higher than 191.07 on the E759 mobo, until we know what is the issue with 191.07 driver.

WB

FYI , I am using 191.07 on a non-NF200 chipset mobo with mixed cards.. without sli .. just dummy plugs and download the new fahcore 11 and 14 for the mixed card folding ..

good Luck

SR-2 & 2 x5680   

E761 & i7 920d0

EVGA Affiliate Code: A2LD8L9Q7P

HEATWARE

GhostImage
    iCX Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/10 04:36:20 (permalink)
    Horvat

Just go to GPU section of the forum, 200 series, there quite a few posts about this particular set of drivers. Both my motherboards got nf200 chip.
    (If Im not mistaken 790i has nf200 chip on board.)  Unfortunatly the thread I refered to was on the old forum, And linking those sometimes just dont work.

wb488641

Horvat

it only affect the NF200 chipset. try another driver higher than 191.07 on the E759 mobo, until we know what is the issue with 191.07 driver.

WB

FYI , I am using 191.07 on a non-NF200 chipset mobo with mixed cards.. without sli .. just dummy plugs and download the new fahcore 11 and 14 for the mixed card folding ..

good Luck

Thank you. Ill try some higher driver today. Ill keep you posted.
    Ill try it today after work.

barnhartmd051977
    FTW Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/10 05:17:34 (permalink)
    If I TRI SLI so that I can fold and game with out haveing to change everytime i wanna game... Can I still use Two Monitors???

HEATWARE

69vettester
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 356
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/10 13:47:57 (permalink)
    GhostImage

Listen I dont want to sound all paranoid and stuff. But Ive heard some really bad things about 191.07 driver, and it's conflicts with NF200 chip Mobos/GPUs. I just want to know what do you think about It. Im sure you.ve read Mikotan's thread about it. So I just feel a littlle Uneasy about it. Is there any other driver you'd recommend. Or you think Id be fine installing .07

I had problems with the 192.07 drivers they would crash my GTX 275's under certain conditions, like trying to remove aero themes to gain system resources. Crash.... system responsiveness to 50%... display into slow motion, then couldn't reenable aero until display drivers were removed and re-applyed. I switched to 186 drivers. But all my cards are matched...seems you need 192.07 to use mis-matched cards on your display.

Lian-Li P80,
    Evga X58 classified E760,
    i7 975 extreme,
    Coolermaster V8,
    3 2Gig corsair dominator dimms,
    Corsair HX1000w modular PSU,
    2 EVGA 8800gts 512 card SLI
    2 Sata raptors in Raid 0

Yea Though I walk Through the Valley Of Death I Reserve My God given Right to Scream, Im Gettin the Hell Outta Here, at any time!!

GhostImage
    iCX Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/10 15:05:10 (permalink)
    69vettester

GhostImage

I had problems with the 192.07 drivers they would crash my GTX 275's under certain conditions, like trying to remove aero themes to gain system resources. Crash.... system responsiveness to 50%... display into slow motion, then couldn't reenable aero until display drivers were removed and re-applyed. I switched to 186 drivers. But all my cards are matched...seems you need 192.07 to use mis-matched cards on your display.

Thanks man. Useful Info.
       Just got home. Ill have to try few Drv before jumping in. So itll take some time. But Im definitely staying away from 191.07  I might even wait till Nvidia comes up with somth better. And just run CPU/285 for now. I know my ppd would be better with 2 gpus but Im not risking a rig which i know I can be sure 200% now. (Been folding 24/7 on it  for 5 days straight now) :)

@ Horvat, thanks again for a great guide. :) was of great help.  Its just drivers now.

69vettester
    iCX Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/10 17:00:42 (permalink)
    GhostImage

69vettester

GhostImage

Thanks man. Useful Info.
      Just got home. Ill have to try few Drv before jumping in. So itll take some time. But Im definitely staying away from 191.07  I might even wait till Nvidia comes up with somth better. And just run CPU/285 for now. I know my ppd would be better with 2 gpus but Im not risking a rig which i know I can be sure 200% now. (Been folding 24/7 on it  for 5 days straight now) :)

@ Horvat, thanks again for a great guide. :) was of great help.  Its just drivers now.

I did use the 192.07 successfully for quite awhile they do run the multi Gpu's as in Horvats Guide. My problems with the 192.07 were not related to GPU folding. I think Most people are using the Latest drivers, I just Got PO'd and switched. If I didnt recreate the situation that made them Crash the cards, I would still be using them. They do work with the Guide.

Lian-Li P80,
    i7 975 extreme,
    Coolermaster V8,
    2 Sata raptors in Raid 0

Yea Though I walk Through the Valley Of Death I Reserve My God given Right to Scream, Im Gettin the Hell Outta Here, at any time!!

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/10 19:01:52 (permalink)
    The only thing newer than the 191.07 driver is that 195.39 beta driver and I am not putting that on my system until I rebuild it.

barnhartmd051977
    FTW Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/10 19:03:28 (permalink)
    u guys with the nf200 chips the 191.07 drivers did not destroy ur cards and mobos like the rest of the forums say they do???

HEATWARE

69vettester
    iCX Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/10 19:13:10 (permalink)
    Horvat

The only thing newer than the 191.07 driver is that 195.39 beta driver and I am not putting that on my system until I rebuild it.

Im talking about the "latest Release drivers" 192.07.
    I agree with Barnhardt they work fine with Folding. They have Problems With at least 1 win 7 display function, I know that for a fact. But no one would probably stumble on to it Like I did. I made sure by recreating it 2 more times ,It is that latest release driver. I wont say what it is Unless you want to Test it and Likely loose your Bigadv WU. requires a safe boot to get the Desktop display Back to normal.
    post edited by 69vettester - 2009/11/10 19:14:59

Lian-Li P80,
    i7 975 extreme,
    Coolermaster V8,
    2 Sata raptors in Raid 0

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/10 19:20:05 (permalink)
    There is no 192.07, it is the current 191.07 and the 195.39 beta. I just checked NVIDIA's website.

barnhartmd051977
    FTW Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/10 19:24:05 (permalink)
    yeah 191.07

HEATWARE

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/10 19:26:17 (permalink)
    Tahnk you for the confirmation barnhart. Sometimes I wonder if I am really going crazy.

69vettester
    iCX Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/10 19:36:39 (permalink)
    Horvat

Tahnk you for the confirmation barnhart. Sometimes I wonder if I am really going crazy.

This Is a Deja VU I swear I did this same thing with you about 10 days ago when I errored and typo'd  the Lastest release driver. Im sorry Im going to bed My head Hurts....
    Gnight John boy..Gnite Ellen ....ZZZZZZZZZzzzzz

Lian-Li P80,
    i7 975 extreme,
    Coolermaster V8,
    2 Sata raptors in Raid 0

Horvat
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/10 19:42:10 (permalink)
    I remeber that. Goodnight grandpa.

69vettester
    iCX Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/10 19:45:35 (permalink)
    69vettester

Horvat

This Is a Deja VU I swear I did this same thing with you about 10 days ago when I errored and typo'd  the Lastest release driver. Im sorry Im going to bed My head Hurts....
    Gnight John boy..Gnite Ellen ....ZZZZZZZZZzzzzz

Snort Snuffle ..just woke Up and realized what the Hey..doesnt anyone know a typo when they see it and just move on with the Nitty gritty thats Involved. Which Is Yes The Latest release drivers are 95% Perfect for win 7 users but have a Glitch or two ..  Sheesch , snort Brzzzz..zzzz

Lian-Li P80,
    i7 975 extreme,
    Coolermaster V8,
    2 Sata raptors in Raid 0

barnhartmd051977
    FTW Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/10 19:47:21 (permalink)
    cant get ur post count up that way!!!!!!!!!!

HEATWARE

69vettester
    iCX Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/10 19:49:21 (permalink)
    barnhartmd051977

cant get ur post count up that way!!!!!!!!!!

Huh....Bzzz..snort..zzzzzz

Lian-Li P80,
    i7 975 extreme,
    Coolermaster V8,
    2 Sata raptors in Raid 0

GhostImage
    iCX Member
    Re:Multi GPU guide with WinFC 2009/11/12 18:02:04 (permalink)
      Guys.  Idid Update to a new driver. 195.xx but still no go. (I did delete files you've mentioned) And then nothing Again that Unstable Machine Bull. What to do? Do you think It might be the card. Or I might have to up my North Bridge voltage a bit (thinkin that I have two cards running full capacity.) mine is at 1.55 now.
    Thank you.

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile