EVGA

New x58 set up info needed / software side ?

Author
flocko
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 389
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2010/10/17 09:26:28 (permalink)
http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=631779

Just purchased this . Been a long time since my last build and by my sig you can see I am in uncharted waters. 

What is the best way to install all the software like board drivers, O.S. and various other needed settings like ..... 
Lets say I have the system fully assembled . Ready to boot for first time . In what order is the system set up ? Boot , adjust date / time. Then install board driver cd . Then install O.S. . At what point is f6 used to activate the Marvell controller ? When is ACHI enabled? 
Can some one take me through "step by step" . Do I need to partition the drive or can I just have one big single drive since no raid used?

Last time it was.... throw system togeather , boot. adjust bios time / date . Throw windows disk in and rock on . Updated drivers over internet. Later .... about a year.. flashed to current bios. Never really knew and still don't know if system was ever set up optimally. 
NO OVERCLOCKING right now guy's ..... that will come later when system 100% stable.

If no help is available could someone link me to a guide or other info that would HELP !!

Don't want to screw this up as redoing later can be a PITA.

Thanks for the help

MB : E770
Bios: 74
CPU : i7 950 O.C @ 4.2 ghz
CPU Cooling : Megahalems Rev B
GPU : GTX 460
Ram : Mushkin Red Line 1600 mgz
HD : WD Raptor 600 gig
PSU : Corsair AX1200
Case : Banchetto 101 B.

18 Replies Related Threads

loveha
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10497
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re:New x58 set up info needed / software side ? 2010/10/17 09:38:30 (permalink)
    1. Build Computer
    2. Boot computer and enter correct timings and voltage for RAM. Set drives to AHCI. Can update BIOS if you wish.
    3. Insert OS Disk. No need to partition Drive. Set up OS.
    4. Run the windows updates.
    5. Insert Motherboard disk, all driver that you need are on there.
    6. Install latest Drivers for Video Card.
    7. Um... I think that is it, I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
    Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
    CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
    GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
    PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
    Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
    Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
    Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
    flocko
    iCX Member
    Re:New x58 set up info needed / software side ? 2010/10/17 09:57:32 (permalink)
    loveha

1. Build Computer
    2. Boot computer and enter correct timings and voltage for RAM. Set drives to AHCI. Can update BIOS if you wish.
    3. Insert OS Disk. No need to partition Drive. Set up OS.
    4. Run the windows updates.
    5. Insert Motherboard disk, all driver that you need are on there.
    6. Install latest Drivers for Video Card.
    7. Um... I think that is it, I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Thank You VERY much .... maybe I'm making more of it than it really is . Lot's of money at steak here and a lot nervous

owcraftsman
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4754
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re:New x58 set up info needed / software side ? 2010/10/17 18:13:42 (permalink)
    With due respect to loveha's, his method is good up to step 4 where I part company. I would like to point out MS updates will try to install GPU Sound Card and other hardware drivers which don't always have the intended consequences so you may not want to do this. I guess it boils down to personal preference. For me personally and I suspect many others I make sure the network cable is detached throughout the Windows installation process. Not until I have all the latest drivers for all my hardware installed and my AV software installed do I connect the network cable and run Windows update. The purpose of the process is two fold #1 until AV is installed a connected PC is vulnerable to attack #2 M$ drivers tend to be much older, have more bugs and less feature rich to make for a small package. IMO the up to date drivers offered by the manufacturers are your best bet.

When I get all my parts and pieces assembled and ready to boot and install windows  typically it's a minimum config. i.e. if it will end up an sli system I start with one gpu, If it will have an audio card I wait until windows is installed to add it to the system. If I'm going to have mutilple drives I only have what will be the boot drive attached. finally if it will end up an overclocked system make sure it's at default speeds and clocks during installation.

On the software side I start preparation, well before the windows install by downloading all current drivers and latest editions of my purchased software including Anti Virus then put all on a thumb drive or burn to CD. You can include the F6 drivers but if you are installing Windows 7 (highly recommended) they are not needed unless you are using Sata 3 drives plugged into the SATA 3/6G Ports.

The F6 feature is used at installation. With the installation disk in the DVD drive and it is set to boot to that drive turn your system on. You will see it start when you first see a screen start taping the F6 key until the installation ask you to point to the storage drivers at that point all you have to do is navigate to the file on the thumb drive or if on CD insert it before you browse after the drivers have loaded remember to replace the installation disk before you proceed from there. More detailed instruction are available depending on your hardware and windows version

AHCI mode is enabled when you select it or in RAID mode and unlocks certain features of modern storage devices. i.e. NCQ, & TRIM for SSD's

Also maybe I'm old school but I have a specific order to install drivers Below is the order I use
    1. install the chipset drivers first followed by the balance of the motherboards drivers not included in the chip package (varies by mfg.) possibly Audio, Ethernet and Storage drivers you can use the board driver CD for reference.
    2. then install the GPU drivers
    3. if you have an audio card now is the time add it's drivers
    4. move on to all other attached hardware (add to system one at a time with drivers if you used the minimum config method) like keyboards mouse.
    5. now install AntiVirus & Firewall
    6. and finish by connecting the network cable activate windows first and then run Windows Update.
    That said there are many ways to tweak an installation of windows but that varies greatly depending on what version you have chosen.

There are some worth while installation guides to be found if you follow the Stickies link in my sig

Good Luck!
    post edited by owcraftsman - 2010/10/18 19:57:26

5800X3D | ROG Crosshair VIII Hero w/EK-Q-M-Full | Trident Z Neo 4x8 3600 C16 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra w/EK-QV2-ABP +150 CC/+1000 MC | LG 34GP83A-B UW-QHD/2-Asus PB278Q  | EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 | Corsair 1TB MP600 (OS) & 970 EVO 1TB M.2 (Games) | Custom Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | NexXxoS UT60 1080mm Nova | 2x D5 w/BP-2D5TOPPEX-BK | Win-10-pro 21H2  RIG PICS
    EVGA Affiliate Code GMER9XL4N
    ritaylor
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 141
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:New x58 set up info needed / software side ? 2010/10/18 11:09:00 (permalink)
    +1 (windows update after drivers)

EVGA Classified3
    Core i7 990x 
    12 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 @ 9-9-9-24 2T 
    EVGA GTX 570                      
    600GB Intel SSD
    600GB Velociraptor                                      
    Corsair AX850 psu 

DMIINC
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5929
    • Ribbons : 32
    Re:New x58 set up info needed / software side ? 2010/10/18 11:27:50 (permalink)
    It is all about personal prefrence as Abishai said. However you can always choose what to install when you are installing WUs. Some driver for certain perephirals are the best from WU. The way I do it  upon building a new rig is run memtest at dos level, install windows, run 5 passes of LinX on stock settings and if all OK run windows updates and after that  install drivers.

flocko
    iCX Member
    Re:New x58 set up info needed / software side ? 2010/10/18 15:33:13 (permalink)
    @ owcraftsman : 

WOW ... nice , detailed guide. Hat's off to you !! That's exactly why my last build took months of sorting out drivers and updates. Nothing wrong with letting Window's do it but that is the "long way around the tree" so to speak. I know you can see the link to the equipment I have purchased and will be here this week so with that said I have a few more questions ... if you will 

#1 Based on the parts I have purchased I would or could only assume that the factory disks are current ( parts are  newly released )and if not, still better than Windows and can be updated prior to letting Windows do it for me

#2 My hard drive (one only no other, is... sata6 and would be plugged into the corresponding port on board sata6) Does that mean I still need the f6 drivers and what disk are they on . Windows or mother board driver disk?

# 3 DVD player specs say it is a sata drive . Doesn't say if it is 3 or 6 . For the money , I will assume it is sata 3 . See question #2 as it may apply now that hard drive is on sata 6 .

# 4 AHCI is in bios I will assume so that would be set right at first boot while playing with date and time and being sure all else is set at default? Correct ? Should I set memory factory timmings at this point as well or just let the system set to default ?

Your 1 threw 6 installation reference does not include the Windows install ?

That's all I have for NOW !!! Be rest assured I will be back with more pesky questions . Bare with me as I want this install to go well the first time around as the risk of DOA parts seems to be rather high right now so one less variable will help a lot.

I don't want to be overly "forward" but I can plainly see your affiliate code in your sig and I have a new mother board I need to register . SOOOOOO , THANKS FOR YOUR HELP !!!

donta1979
    Primarch
    • Total Posts : 15886
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re:New x58 set up info needed / software side ? 2010/10/18 15:51:33 (permalink)
    If your going to run your main hard drive on SATA III/6 Run the windows setup in f6 mode so you can tell it where to look on the evga driver disk for your stat III/6 drivers  otherwise you will have blue screens. You will need the bios setup to read the dvd first, and boot off of the win7 install disk to get into windows every time....  trust me I made this mistake when installing windows 7.... with the classy 3...

Use the windows 7 disk to partition your new hard drive if you never used it before

I also do not run windows update right away and keep my ethernet unplugged for setup since I dont want microsoft putting bad drivers onto my machine that cause conflicts... I normally use the DVD for my mobo or already have everything pre burned to a disk or on a flash drive.

I install all my critical drivers, including display/mobo/ethernet card/sound. Authenticate my copy of windows 7 after plugging in my ethernet adapter again. Then I run windows update and choose what I want/dont want installed. Hiding what I dont want so I never have to see it again. The USB 3.0 drivers you have to install off the evga cd you can direct the update driver to the cd but it wont find them so yeah you have to run the install software for them... the joys of new tech it is what it is.  Not too much has changed since your last computer.
    post edited by donta1979 - 2010/10/18 16:10:14

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
    Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
    USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
    My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    flocko
    iCX Member
    Re:New x58 set up info needed / software side ? 2010/10/18 16:28:28 (permalink)
    donta1979

If your going to run your main hard drive on SATA III/6 Run the windows setup in f6 mode so you can tell it where to look on the evga driver disk for your stat III/6 drivers  otherwise you will have blue screens. You will need the bios setup to read the dvd first, and boot off of the win7 install disk to get into windows every time....  trust me I made this mistake when installing windows 7.... with the classy 3...

Huh : All I'm asking and maybe not hearing correctly,  is at what point is the f6 command used ? How can Windows look for a driver on a cd when the Windows cd is in the cd drive ? I am going to run a sata 6 hard drive . Can we please leave out the III reference  of the  question as it does not apply . If the board drivers are installed prior to Windows then Windows would not be looking for them on a cd ... Windows would be looking for them on the hard drive. ???? OORR .. is this a case were windows disk is installed and f6 is hit at start screen and then windows disk removed and driver disk installed and then removed and windows disk reinserted to find the drivers ?

Assuming the cd drive is sata 3 ... how does that play into this confusion ?

Sorry .... already confused and not one part of system here yet . Man .... this use to be hard , then it was easy and now it is REALLY hard 

loveha
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10497
    • Ribbons : 65
    Re:New x58 set up info needed / software side ? 2010/10/18 19:44:00 (permalink)
    While there are many great suggestions. Driver updates are up to you. I like to run the ones from microsoft first, picking the ones I want and hiding the ones I don't. I have just got done with the FTW3 board with a SATA III HDD. Had no issue, after I got done with everything I ran the driver disk that came with the CD. Never had any BSOD while I was setting the computer up. The computer finds the HDD just fine so no need to mess with the EVGA disk.
    post edited by loveha - 2010/10/18 19:46:06

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
    Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
    CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
    GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
    PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
    Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
    Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
    Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
    owcraftsman
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:New x58 set up info needed / software side ? 2010/10/18 20:34:49 (permalink)
    flocko

@ owcraftsman : 

WOW ... nice , detailed guide. Hat's off to you !! That's exactly why my last build took months of sorting out drivers and updates. Nothing wrong with letting Window's do it but that is the "long way around the tree" so to speak. I know you can see the link to the equipment I have purchased and will be here this week so with that said I have a few more questions ... if you will 

#1 Based on the parts I have purchased I would or could only assume that the factory disks are current ( parts are  newly released )and if not, still better than Windows and can be updated prior to letting Windows do it for me Always go to the manufacturers web site and download the latest appropriate drivers for your operating system. Remember you have no idea how long the package has sat in a warehouse or store shelve before you get it therefore the drivers are usually outdated especially GPU drivers. 

#2 My hard drive (one only no other, is... sata6 and would be plugged into the corresponding port on board sata6) Does that mean I still need the f6 drivers and what disk are they on . Windows or mother board driver disk? Only if you are installing windows on this disk will you need to F6 the drivers however if at any point you might want to move your installation to that drive I would do it anyway so the drivers are in place. Otherwise keep the drive disconnected during install and run the sata3 driver (1.0.0.1042) when you get into windows before you connect the drive to the system.

# 3 DVD player specs say it is a sata drive . Doesn't say if it is 3 or 6 . For the money , I will assume it is sata 3 . See question #2 as it may apply now that hard drive is on sata 6 . To the best of my knowledge there are no Sata3 optical drives available to consumers yet.

# 4 AHCI is in bios I will assume so that would be set right at first boot while playing with date and time and being sure all else is set at default? Correct ? Should I set memory factory timmings at this point as well or just let the system set to default ? At first boot enter bios and set optimized defaults and F10 + Y also known as save and exit. Enter bios again set date time and verify your proc is running at it's rated spec and you dvd rom is set to first boot then set vdimm to 1.65v F10 & Y again. The default should do nicely to install windows.

Your 1 threw 6 installation reference does not include the Windows install ? 1-6 is the order of installing drivers after windows is installed. Note the paragraph above that where I describe when to hit F6 which is at the very beginning of the install

That's all I have for NOW !!! Be rest assured I will be back with more pesky questions . Bare with me as I want this install to go well the first time around as the risk of DOA parts seems to be rather high right now so one less variable will help a lot. NP as you can see there are plenty of helpful and very knowledgeable folks around here.

I don't want to be overly "forward" but I can plainly see your affiliate code in your sig and I have a new mother board I need to register . SOOOOOO , THANKS FOR YOUR HELP !!! Thanks I appreciate you using the code.

BTW donta1979 makes a very good point and I went ahead an edited my post because of it. I always activate windows before running windows updates and I forgot to add that. Thanks to him for reminding me. There are some updates that require authentication before they can be downloaded and installed so the step saves a lot of wasted effort. Let's say you are downloading 36 updates and it hangs on .net 4.0 looking for an activated copy of windows it will abort updates and what ever wasn't installled yet will have to be downloaded again. So again kudos to donta1979.

FYI I would pay attention to this update SATA III/6G Firmware and Software Updates Released
    post edited by owcraftsman - 2010/10/18 20:44:46

5800X3D | ROG Crosshair VIII Hero w/EK-Q-M-Full | Trident Z Neo 4x8 3600 C16 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra w/EK-QV2-ABP +150 CC/+1000 MC | LG 34GP83A-B UW-QHD/2-Asus PB278Q  | EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 | Corsair 1TB MP600 (OS) & 970 EVO 1TB M.2 (Games) | Custom Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | NexXxoS UT60 1080mm Nova | 2x D5 w/BP-2D5TOPPEX-BK | Win-10-pro 21H2  RIG PICS
    flocko
    iCX Member
    Re:New x58 set up info needed / software side ? 2010/10/19 03:35:08 (permalink)
    @ everyone in this thread .

THANKS A LOT !!! for your help and patience. I get it now !! Well at least most of it. "One common thread among all of you is that there is more than one way to do this . I had no idea that there were so many !  Last time I did this I had no other computer available so at least this time I can find help while I'm setting up if needed.

Flocko

flocko
    iCX Member
    Re:New x58 set up info needed / software side ? 2010/10/19 04:14:41 (permalink)
    FYI I would pay attention to this update [link=tm.aspx?high=&m=636262&mpage=1#636262]SATA III/6G Firmware and Software Updates Released[/link]

One is a firmware and one is a software updates. Do I need both and is this ILO using the motherboard disk ?

owcraftsman
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:New x58 set up info needed / software side ? 2010/10/19 06:29:51 (permalink)
    Yes you need both!

Update-able Firmware can be found on many electronic devices even you cable box how they are updated varies by device what they all have in common is this is an update to the hardware it self. In motherboards we call in the BIOS. So the answer is you want to update your hardware before you do anything else. I recommend the method below and use ImgBurn a free app to burn the bootable iso. If you are unfamiliar with ImgBurn they have very clear cut well defined tutorials on there site for using the software. You just have to make sure that the drive with the iso in it is set as the first boot device in the bios so when you restart it boots to the image.

CD/DVD Installation - Recommended installation method
    • Download .iso file below for your motherboard:
    http://cdn.evga.com/Bios/Marvell%20firmware%20Update.iso

This is the software you would use to install on your fresh installation of windows. If you look at the order I gave you in post #4 for installing software I'd put this in after one but before 2 in the order of priority. It is as important as the chipset driver itself. I believe the package also contains the F6 drivers too to be installed as mentioned above.

Software Update Version: 1.0.0.1042
    • Download from the link below:
    http://cdn.evga.com/driver/1.0.0.1042-WHQL.zip
    post edited by EVGATech_MattM - 2014/08/07 03:02:54

paintballer1388
    • Total Posts : 96
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:New x58 set up info needed / software side ? 2010/10/19 07:54:13 (permalink)
    I usually go by this.
    1.install one GPU if running SLi
    2.leave out my sound card if you have one
    3.leave my internet cable unplugged
    4.install my main Hard drives or SSDs for OS
    5.go to the bois and set all the timings and voltages and the boot hard drive
    6.install the os
    7.install the boards drivers
    8.install the GPU drive
    9.reboot
    10.install the second GPU if running SLi
    11.install the second GPU drivers
    12.reboot and install sound card you can also install sound card when installing second GPU
    13.sound card drives
    14. virus software make sure to install virus software before connecting to internet
    15.programs and tools

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to restart after every install of a driver but other times the program itself will tell you to restart.

Hope this helped if anyone thinks i should do my setup differently or others ways. Please Let me know.
    flocko
    iCX Member
    Re:New x58 set up info needed / software side ? 2010/10/19 18:01:56 (permalink)
    owcraftsman

Yes you need both!

Update-able Firmware can be found on many electronic devices even you cable box how they are updated varies by device what they all have in common is this is an update to the hardware it self. In motherboards we call in the BIOS. So the answer is you want to update your hardware before you do anything else. I recommend the method below and use ImgBurn a free app to burn the bootable iso. If you are unfamiliar with ImgBurn they have very clear cut well defined tutorials on there site for using the software. You just have to make sure that the drive with the iso in it is set as the first boot device in the bios so when you restart it boots to the image.

CD/DVD Installation - Recommended installation method
    • Download .iso file below for your motherboard:
    http://cdn.evga.com/Bios/Marvell%20firmware%20Update.iso

This is the software you would use to install on your fresh installation of windows. If you look at the order I gave you in post #4 for installing software I'd put this in after one but before 2 in the order of priority. It is as important as the chipset driver itself. I believe the package also contains the F6 drivers too to be installed as mentioned above.

Software Update Version: 1.0.0.1042
    • Download from the link below:

http://cdn.evga.com/driver/1.0.0.1042-WHQL.zip

#1 I did as you said and downloaded the burning program . No problem . Looks pretty easy to use. THANKS !
    #2 The Marvell firmware update .iso download went fine and immediatly opened the burning software and asked me to burn it. Cool ... that looks simple enough.
    #3 However ... when I download the 1042 WHQL software it has more than one file and has set up info on the download . Does all that get burnt to the dvd as well. I unzipped the files but not sure what gets put on the cd. Assuming both link updates get put on the same disk ? This software did not open to the burning software the way the firmware update did . That is what I'm trying to say.

Ups is going to be busy tomorrow as well as the next day as I have tracking numbers . Lot's to do !!!   Giddy as a school girl but the wife may take the wind out of my sails REAL quick.

Stay with me owcraftsman !! we have more fields to plow !!

Thanks

Oh... bye the way... I see your fins , unlike my cow girls decided this would be the year to start playing real football !!! Congrats it's about time  
    post edited by EVGATech_MattM - 2014/08/07 03:03:20

flocko
    iCX Member
    Re:New x58 set up info needed / software side ? 2010/10/19 19:15:09 (permalink)
    http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=636262

apparently I'm not the only one !!

owcraftsman
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:New x58 set up info needed / software side ? 2010/10/19 21:35:56 (permalink)
    Not sure about the new WHQL driver package go the the thread and ask the mod works for evga and should know better than I. I have an educated guess at best.

SATA III/6G Firmware and Software Updates Released

You might ask what to add from that package I see windows drivers and what looks like the F6 drivers BTW I did a bit more digging and you do not need to tap F6 until it ask for the driver. afyer you click on install it will come to  page with the HDD listed you can F6 there or click on Drive option advanced then load drivers and point to the appropriate folder. again ask the EVGA tech to be sure.

post edited by owcraftsman - 2010/10/19 21:39:09

flocko
    iCX Member
    Re:New x58 set up info needed / software side ? 2010/10/20 16:29:33 (permalink)
    It's here , IT'S HERE .

New computer build parts sitting on kitchen table when I got home from work. Quickly unpacked mother board and all factory seals in tact and no bent heat sinks . Whew !! was worried about that one. All other parts still in boxes but not a dent or scratch on any of them . UPS apparently forgot to "drop kick " my package.
    Now I feel like I'm all dressed up with no place to go until the updated software/ driver issues get worked ... sigh ! 

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile