EVGA

Need some help plz! System won't post after installing new card :( *** Resolved!!*** TY

Author
MrCairo
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2010/09/21 15:24:19 (permalink)
Hi guys,

Just got my 460 in the mail from Newegg a bit ago. 

But I'm running into a problem and I'm not sure what to do.

My system won't post with the new card OR the old one now.

Perhaps I did something wrong, here's what I did:

Booted the comp up with old card in it. Downloaded the latest Nvidia driver.

Went into Device Manager and uninstalled the old Nvidia driver.

Ran a Driver Cleaner for all Nvidia files. (running an ASRock 939 Dual board so no NForce issues there) 

Turned off the comp.

Took the old card out, placed the 460 in with Both Power connectors connected in the rear.

Made sure all drives and power cords and such were firmly connected throughout the system.

Turned on the comp. All components appear to have power. The 460's fan is running as are all case fans and such.

But it never completes the boot process (i'm assuming) 

There is no beeps or problem sounds.

Just no signal to the monitor.

Also, my dvd/cd rom drive keeps clicking like it's trying to read a disc...but the drive is empty. I can hit the open button and it only comes out 1/4 of the way.

I tried replacing the old 8800GT and the same exact thing. So I'm guessing it's not the 460 or the PS (Rosewill 550w btw)

I'm thinking the problem might be the fact that I uninstalled the driver from the Device Manager window. Had never done that before, normally used Add /Remove Programs and then used the driver cleaner. But I'd read a recent post that discussed the process of adding a new card and "believed" it had suggested the Device Manager process after going there to see what version of the driver was being used.

So ANY and ALL ideas, suggestions would be very Welcome lol 

Warm Regards

MC

post edited by MrCairo - 2010/09/21 19:37:09

7 Replies Related Threads

ajs-cfg
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 178
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:Need some help plz! System won't post after installing new card :( 2010/09/21 15:36:34 (permalink)
    Do you have another power supply you could try?  What is the model number of your PSU?  I have come across some Rosewill PSUs' that would not run at the rated specs, or fried after 6 months.  If you have another PSU, try swapping it with the Rosewill and see what happens.  If I am not mistaken, the video card should still work even though you removed the drivers from the CP (at the very least, you should be able to POST). Does your mobo have a Debug LED? 

EDIT 
    is this your mobo: http://www.asrockamerica.com/Products/939DSATA2.htm#

I am trying to access the support page, but I am unable to for some reason (I will try again when I get home from work).  I want to make sure I am looking at the right mobo before I continue. 
    post edited by ajs-cfg - 2010/09/21 15:41:52

Main Rig:

EVGA X58 SLI LE Mobo (i7 930)
            6GB Corsair Dominator (TR3X6G1600C8D) 
            160GB Intel X-25M G2 SSD
            1TB WD Caviar Black HDD 
             EVGA GTX 580 3GB  (with another on the way!) 
            Corsair HX850 PSU
            Coolermaster HAF X Case

(Work Rig Identical, but w/  EVGA GTS250 GFX card, 80GB X-25M G2 and HAF922 case)
    MrCairo
    Re:Need some help plz! System won't post after installing new card :( 2010/09/21 15:41:06 (permalink)
    I don't have another that I can use atm.

But like I said, I tried the old card that I'd just removed and got the same result.

I believe it's driver related, though I admit I could be wrong...

When I turn on the system everything runs and has power.

I still get the dvd/cd rom clicking/engaging sound with the old card in as well...

I'll call a few friends and see about getting a hold of a different PS just in case while I continue to try and figure this out :)

Thx for the suggestion!
    MrCairo
    Re:Need some help plz! System won't post after installing new card :( 2010/09/21 15:44:34 (permalink)
    Can't get to the bios, the boot order IS the dvd rom 1st though ;)

Did try re-seating the card, will try again...

But also when I put in my old 8800GT (that had moments before been working fine) I made sure it was seated properly as well.

The LCD Monitor continues to say "No Signal" 
    post edited by MrCairo - 2010/09/21 15:48:46
    MrCairo
    Re:Need some help plz! System won't post after installing new card :( 2010/09/21 16:08:36 (permalink)
    jerkinjohn

Falcon_CMH

PMed you my phone number if you want help going through things step at a time to try to get it working and/or diagnose any problem components.

WOW.... Give that man a cigar!!! Or at least a BR! That is awesome man!!!

Agreed 100% :)
    MrCairo
    Re:Need some help plz! System won't post after installing new card :( 2010/09/21 17:08:55 (permalink)
    Well GREAT News!

Thanks to Falcon helping me walk through all the various possibilities and helping me troubleshoot one idea at a time, we were able to find that it was apparently the AM2 CPU expansion/upgrade card that was a bit loose. I think while swapping the cards out I must of moved something that lifted it from the slot a bit, enough to cause a fault.

The 460 is IN and the 258.96 driver installed :)

I'd like to express my sincere Thanks for all who shared ideas and tried to help!

Especially to Falcon who helped me try things I otherwise probably would of missed!

You guys ROCK!!!

Another reason I'm so glad I chose an EVGA card years ago and one of the reason I will keep coming back!!!

Warm Regards 2 ALL :)

MC  
    MrCairo
    Re:Need some help plz! System won't post after installing new card :( 2010/09/21 18:58:29 (permalink)
    STEVEBABCOCK2002

Nice... and he saved you some hair from being pulled out too.

Certainly did lol

And @ 44 years "young" I need every one ;) 

btw - 

Installed Precision and my numbers are:

Processor Clock - 1440
    Memory Clock - 1800 (effective being the 3600)
    Fan Speed - 30%

GPU Temp (idle) 29-30C

This is without running/patching the new 460 boost program.

Does this look right for a stock 460?

I just ask because the numbers on Newegg for my card are a bit lower seems:

Core Clock:675MHzShader Clock:1350MHzStream Processors:336 Processor CoresEffective Memory Clock:3600MHz

notfordman
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10345
    • Ribbons : 28
    Re:Need some help plz! System won't post after installing new card :( 2010/09/21 20:14:59 (permalink)
    Falcon strikes again!! nice job. Glad you got the card workin MrC. :)
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile