Single Slot Water-Cooled 750Ti How To and Benchmark

Author
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 79
2014/05/09 13:51:47 (permalink)
Alright.  I have been writing up a few forum posts as I go along to show what I have done and how to do it.  A few weeks ago, I got to see an OCN user throw a random waterblock on a 750Ti with giant screws coming out of the back and it took up 2 slots still... Well.. I decided that needed to change.  I requested one block from EK to try, and they said no... so I bought one from a random store (still Ek) and worked through installing it.  Now, it is done.

First, What you need for the BEST results.  

750Ti (chose your poison for brand or style)
Drill and small 3 or 4 mm bit
Ek VGA Supreme HF (Get this specific, I will show why) 
M3x30 screws (head style doesn't matter) 
M3 Nuts of your chosing
Fittings of your chosing
Watercooling loops
About an hour at most.

I want this block on that card! Notice that the screw go through the top of the block and to pull the base down!!! We will not be using the mounting bracket, but it holds an O-Ring in place, so it will remain in place.

So, start by removing the cooler that is held on by 4 screws.. there are only 4 on the back of the card, so take a stab at which 4 you want to remove.....

Take the screw out of the block 1 at a time and replace with the M3x30 screws.  The original screws are only 20mm, so you get an extra 10mm of thread sticking out of the back of the block.  Tighten the screws all the way down, as you will NOT be able to adjust them after mounting the block.

Note that the spacing is slightly off. 

Grab a drill and burrow out the 4 holes (you can look at see the traces run around it pretty far.  All of the copper colored area around the screw is free of traces.)  The Screws spacing on the block is 43mm, and the card is 44.  This next part is going to void your warranty, I promise. You will be doing this at your own risk, so don't blame me if you slip.

Grab the drill with the 3-4 mm bit, and widen the holes a little.  I used a 3mm, so it went through the spacing, and I slowly pulled them holes in toward the chip.  

BEFORE you remove the "please Remove Before Use" finish protector from the Block, which should look like this if you used the appropriate M3x30 screws: place it over the die and make sure the screws go through.  I did not clean the die until I was ready to mount the block to avoid cleaning it multiple times. With the cover still there, this will help you avoid cleaning the block as well.

Once you make sure it fits, remove the sticker:

Sorry for how blurry this is, I didn't realize it was this bad when I took it:

Firmly place the Block on the die and hold it in place, and flip the card over so you can make sure the screws are extruding evenly.

Attach your choice of M3 nut.  I used thumb nuts, just because they aren't all that big and they are easy to adjust without a tool. make sure to tighten them slowly and evenly.  It only took a few small turns.  you can use longer screws, but they WILL take up a slot above the Card.  with the 30mm screw and nut, there is nothing near the slot above the card.

Attach fittings of your choice.

Add watery substance (this is not antifreeze)

Proceed Benchmark your card.  I ran Heaven for 30 minutes.  I was not able to get a screen shot, unfortunately, but temps were

Idle: 21
Full Load, highest settings possible for 30 minutes on heaven... 25.. yeah.. 4 degrees higher under full load... 

rejoice in SILENT Single Slot (except the bracket) 750Ti Gaming :-)

If you have any questions, Fire away.  I love this stuff... 

Oh yeah, i redid my whole loop and added a 3rd Ti Classy to the mix.  the 750Ti is just there for folding at this point.  and because it is just so darn cute.. lol.  

Of yeah.. I almost forgot...  this is exactly how much room it takes up... I wanted the use of all connectors on the base of the board back, and now I have it back :-D

6 Replies Related Threads

hellshocker
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 180
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Single Slot Water-Cooled 750Ti How To and Benchmark 2014/05/09 15:37:16 (permalink)
    I love it but surely theirs a better way that doesn't void your warranty.

P55 Classified 200,  CPU: I7 875k @ 4.2 GHz's, EVGA GTX 980 ti hybrid + Obsidian 900D, EK Supreme HF block, black ice gtx xtreme 360,  corsair dominator platinum 8GB 1600MHz,  sound blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty, supernova 1000 p2.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Single Slot Water-Cooled 750Ti How To and Benchmark 2014/05/09 15:44:39 (permalink)
    Ek is supposedly making a block.. They have been saying that for weeks according to Derrick... But I contacted the support guys, and they confirmed that "there were too many other projects to work on this one"

If you look at all passive coolers for this, they need to be modified. The screw spacing is new, and amd is the closest as NVidia hasn't gone this small in the past.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Single Slot Water-Cooled 750Ti How To and Benchmark 2014/05/09 17:15:40 (permalink)
    What about the VRAM, what are you going to cool them with?
    I don't think I would drill a any circuit board, although I have remove two CPU lids to replace the thermal paste.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Single Slot Water-Cooled 750Ti How To and Benchmark 2014/05/09 22:36:04 (permalink)
    The VRAM were never cooled from EVGA or any other manufacturer, so I left them how I found them.  I have some heat sinks I can add later.

I will provide an update, that I am running all 4 cards folding right now, and with the entire loop running at CPU sitting at 60c, the 3 Ti Classies at 50C the 750 Ti (which is the first item in the loop) is sitting at 43C... so it alone is still 7c cooler than the rest of the loop, under full load, in a hot system, after 12 hours of folding now.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Single Slot Water-Cooled 750Ti How To and Benchmark 2014/05/09 22:51:20 (permalink)
    That is not so bad, are your temps outside staying cool or are you heating up.
    I have a small warm up Saturday to 72F and then Snow on Sunday so I will stay Crunching hard on theSkyNet POGS and Collatz Conjecture I even moved my 4P over to theSkyNet POGS for the weekend.

Are you going to add your BOINC signature from  http://signature.statseb.fr/index.py?cpid=b50854bc61b07373e4dbc0012b73cca3 to your EVGA Forum Signature and Comment section?

Here is mine, they really stack up now http://signature.statseb.fr/index.py?cpid=3b53d3dc1cfa3194c556caa617b339c1
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2014/05/09 22:59:12

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Single Slot Water-Cooled 750Ti How To and Benchmark 2014/05/09 23:08:55 (permalink)
    It is heating up fast.  We are currently in the mid 70s this week, during the day.  I have stopped Big and Little from Crunching, so the CPUs can focus on helping the GPUs for their tasked.  I have step brother doing something back there.. I don't have a monitor on him, so I don't even know if he gave up on life, lol.  I am not getting PPD out of him, that is worth counting at least, compared to the larger rigs. I think I am going to part him out, as he is killing more power than helping with anything.
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2014/05/09 23:13:50
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile