EVGA

Got HFM (running on my Windows machine) to see my Ubuntu Folding boxen...

Author
texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5121
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 20
2012/02/22 14:37:16 (permalink)
PC networking is not my strong-suit, but today I finally got HFM to see and report my Ubuntu box from my main PC that runs Win7.  I've had no problem getting HFM to see all the other Windows Folding PCs in my network, but always scratched my head about my Ubuntu Folding box.  It was really rather simple once I found out how to do it and here's how if anyone else doesn't know:

First, on your Ubuntu PC:
- Find the FAH folder (or whatever it is named where you have FAH installed).
- Right-click that Folder and select "Sharing Options".
- Select "Share this Folder" (everything else will be grayed out in that box) and select "Create Share".
- You will be told that some Samba files need to be installed (if they haven't been already) and then that you need to restart.
- After restart, go back to the FAH folder, right click on "Sharing Options", make sure "Share this folder" is selected, also select "Guest access..." and Create Share.

Back over at your Windows PC:
- In HFM, create your Client from the "Clients" menu and the Add Client selection.
- In the "Folding Instance" screen, populate the Client with the typical information (Instance Name, Mhz speed, etc).
- Leave the "Filename for (Fahlog.text, unitinfo and queue.dat)" entries as they are by default.
- In the Folding Instance Setup screen, select the Browse button in the "Log Folder" area.
- Open up the Network selection within your list and then select the PC that is running Ubuntu.
- That Ubuntu PC will open a list of shared Folders and then you can select the FAH folder and select OK.
- You can test that connection with the "Test Connection" button in the Folding Instance screen to make sure it works and then select OK.
- The new Client will have been created and you should have the Ubuntu PC showing in your HFM list of Clients.

Hope I didn't leave anything out and that this helps someone else.

8 Replies Related Threads

Barbarossa
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5319
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re:Got HFM (running on my Windows machine) to see my Ubuntu Folding boxen... 2012/02/23 07:18:57 (permalink)
    nice little guide there texinga!

to monitor multiple linux rigs from windows I find it easier to use the ip instead of the computer name (only for the linux rigs), as they either all show up as "ubuntu" or don´t show up at all....
    Going by their ip its no prob at all.

My affiliate code

texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Got HFM (running on my Windows machine) to see my Ubuntu Folding boxen... 2012/02/23 07:47:37 (permalink)
    Thanks for that tip Barbarossa!  I did notice what you mentioned too, that the Computer Name simply shows up as "Ubuntu" in my Network Computers listing.  I didn't even consider IP addresses, but again networking has typically been "rocket science" to me. 

Barbarossa
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5319
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re:Got HFM (running on my Windows machine) to see my Ubuntu Folding boxen... 2012/02/23 08:34:27 (permalink)
    yeah, if you only have the one to monitor, its no prob going just by the name. Now if you try monitoring 2 or more its a different thing.

My affiliate code

Afterburner
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 25391
    • Ribbons : 108
    Re:Got HFM (running on my Windows machine) to see my Ubuntu Folding boxen... 2012/02/23 10:13:15 (permalink)
    AB Was here per request ...

NerdGZ
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 569
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re:Got HFM (running on my Windows machine) to see my Ubuntu Folding boxen... 2012/02/23 12:37:21 (permalink)
    To name host under linux PLEASE use minuscule letters.
    Linux is case sensitive and you can do some mistakes  under the FQDN(Fully qualified doamin name).
    If you need to change hostname in linux you must edit /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts.
    Some examples and explain ;)
    [root@evgacrunching /]$ hostname
    evgacrunching T.The name "evgacrunching" is my system's unqualified[ hostname.
     There is another form, called the fully-qualified domain name, or FQDN. The FQDN is your system's hostname combined with its domain,
     and you can use the hostname command to see the FQDN by giving it the -f option. On my system it prints this :
    [root@evgacrunching /]$ hostname -f
    evgacrunching.example.com
    From this example, you can see that the FQDN is just the unqualified hostname,
    evgacrunching, combined with the domain,example.com, separated by a dot.
     This is the fundamental form of all FQDN. 
    So if you replace /etc/hostname with the new desired name and /etc/hosts 
    with  your newdesiredname changing the word evgacrunching and yourfqdn all is done:
    127.0.0.1 	evgacrunching.example.com evgacrunching localhost localhost.localdomain
    post edited by NerdGZ - 2012/02/23 12:43:03

AFFILIATE CODE:7T7V3Q1VW6 

NerdGZ
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 569
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re:Got HFM (running on my Windows machine) to see my Ubuntu Folding boxen... 2012/02/23 12:46:07 (permalink)
    Sorry i will explain this thing with a sample with a terminal video script tomorrow or this weekend.Forums has gamble me a bad font config that i cant mend

AFFILIATE CODE:7T7V3Q1VW6 

texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re:Got HFM (running on my Windows machine) to see my Ubuntu Folding boxen... 2012/02/23 14:42:39 (permalink)
    Sounds good NerdGZ and thanks for adding points that will help here! 

Thank-you to whomever recommended the BR...I wasn't expecting anything, just hoping to help someone else.  I'm still jazzed about getting the Ubuntu box added to HFM. 

Thank-you AB and I'm always glad you are here in many ways! 

johnerz
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2077
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re:Got HFM (running on my Windows machine) to see my Ubuntu Folding boxen... 2013/04/15 17:12:14 (permalink)
    Tex

Its a first for me using HFM, you helped, thanks I can now see my Linux boxen

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile