VMware folding backup scripts

Author
TheCrazyCanuck
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2194
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2010/01/18 22:56:07 (permalink)
This is just a placeholder initial post to keep Linuxrouter's post clean of backup script questions.  I believe users that setup the Linux VM in bridged mode will run into the problem shown below.  If you use NAT ethernet mode then the host name of the machine you run the VM on should resolve properly.

After upgrading to VM build 1.0 and switching the VM to bridged mode I think the mount is failing when you follow the instructions.  Instead of using the host name in start_folding.sh you can use the IP address directly.  i.e. something like this //192.168.1.50/FAH_Backup.  I'm not sure why the host name doesn't resolve properly but when I go to ping it the host name it doesn't show up as expected on my machine.  Now this will only work properly if your host IP address doesn't change, whenever someone uses a router for their internet connection I always recommend using static IPs anyway.  To test if it's working after running the start_folding script if you run "./backup_hour <x>" where <x> is a number between 0-23.  If it works then you should see two files and a folder show up in the appropriate folder on the windows side.

Version 0.2 of the backup scripts allows you to run the backups asynchronously to starting the folding client.  Make sure to read the instructions carefully when it comes to the "start_backups.sh" script.

Backup script link version 0.2:  http://www.evga.com/foldi...AH_SMP_BACKUP_v0_2.rar
Backup script link version 0.1:  http://www.evga.com/foldi...AH_SMP_BACKUP_v0_1.rar
post edited by TheCrazyCanuck - 2010/02/09 00:27:06

11 Replies Related Threads

TheCrazyCanuck
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:VMware folding backup scripts 2010/01/19 14:35:13 (permalink)
    I'm toying with the idea of writing up a guide on setting up a static network which makes managing various machines much easier.  Shoot me a PM/email or post here if you think you could use it, if people already know what they are doing then I won't bother.  I find that using bridged mode for the VM would be a pain without statically assigning IP addresses.
    leftygof
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1754
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re:VMware folding backup scripts 2010/01/19 18:04:28 (permalink)
    I haven't had very good luck with auto dhcp...so I can use it.

geokilla
    • Total Posts : 59
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:VMware folding backup scripts 2010/01/19 20:53:06 (permalink)
    Looking forward to a guide, update for backup script, as well as setting up the static IP. I'm still failing with the version 0.1 script, so I've given up for now. Hopefully my sister shutting down the computer properly will let me fold properly without having to use backup scripts.

TheCrazyCanuck
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:VMware folding backup scripts 2010/01/20 18:11:50 (permalink)
    Ok, I'll make the script changes first then post the network guide after.  It will assume that you have a router between the DSL/Cable modem and the computers in your home.  If you don't have such a network topology and use DHCP with your modem then NAT may be your best bet with the VM.

geokilla, it's either that the VM isn't shutdown properly or you may be running into the same thing I ran into using bridged mode for the VM.
    TheCrazyCanuck
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:VMware folding backup scripts 2010/01/26 18:31:35 (permalink)
    Sorry folks, I'm buried up to my neck in work so this will take a while.... it's in my todo pile though.
    leftygof
    FTW Member
    Re:VMware folding backup scripts 2010/01/26 19:16:51 (permalink)
    It's all good

Love the Eddie avatar....have been a Mustaine fan for years

Fold On

TheCrazyCanuck
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:VMware folding backup scripts 2010/01/26 23:39:17 (permalink)
    Hopefully I get around to this over the weekend..... if I'm not still working like mad.

My avatar is Vic the Rattlehead.  Eddie is the mascot for Iron Maiden:  http://truemetal.org/meta...er/images/killers2.jpg
    leftygof
    FTW Member
    Re:VMware folding backup scripts 2010/01/27 04:43:32 (permalink)
    you are right (hey it was late)....I have been a metal head since the Stepenwolf and Iron Butterfly days back in the late 60's. (yeah I'm that old).

I saw Maiden and Megadeth in Dallas back in 83 and Dave Mustaine has always been under rated (as a musician).

Megadeth has a concert on HDnet that is outstanding

TheCrazyCanuck
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:VMware folding backup scripts 2010/01/27 22:14:35 (permalink)
    1983 good times, Megadeth had Peace Sells, and Metallica had Ride the Lightning, two albums I really like.  I call it a tie then.  +1 for you for being a longer time Megadeth and Maiden fan.  +1 for me since it's impossible for me to have been a fan that long since you saw those two bands when I was 3 years old .  I was brought up right by my old man who had me listening to Def Leppard, ACDC, G&R and Motley Crew a lot.  Now that I have music taste I know that G&R and the Crew sucked but I still listen to Def and ACDC regularly while I'm working.

I agree about Dave being under rated; however, many big names in metal don't under rate him so the people who count know he's a good player.  When he injured his arm (sleeping on it of all things....) I didn't know what I was going to listen to since there were not many good bands worth listening to then.  Around that time Lamb of God, Gojira, etc... were around but not well known and we all know what Metallica was up to around then (not much....).  I think in around ten years we'll see some form of metal back in the lime life, it goes in cycles and it's next cycle should be coming up soon.  Hopefully it's not polluted with crappy bands that are heavy and get mistaken as metal bands like that wave of "nu-metal" bands we saw go by for 15 seconds just like the majority of garbage "music" we have today.

Anywho.... back to the subject, for those of you who want to see a networking guide, let me know what kind of topology you use for a home network.  By that I mean any of the following:

- PC connected directly to modem
    - PC connected to hub/switch to modem
    - PC connected to router to modem
    - Or whatever you have

I could use my network topology to describe this stuff but it's a pretty big network with my TV, iphone, computers, bluray player, wireless bridge, PSP etc... so I think that would just confuse people so I will attempt to descibe the "typical" home network instead
    TheCrazyCanuck
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:VMware folding backup scripts 2010/02/09 00:24:57 (permalink)
    I will proactively post version 0.2 of the backup scripts assuming that by the time I wake up they'll be hosted.  I have added support for starting the backups without starting the folding client for those of you who prefer to do that manually or have enabled the automatic folding in Linuxrouter's latest builds.  Make sure you read the new instructions carefully since there is one corner case that could get you into trouble (automatic folding with ramdisk and using this new script).

http://www.evga.com/foldi...AH_SMP_BACKUP_v0_2.rar
    TheCrazyCanuck
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:VMware folding backup scripts 2010/03/23 21:14:57 (permalink)
    Does anyone still want the networking guide?  I have been crazy busy at work for the last two months and things have gone from uber insane to slightly insane in terms of my workload so I finally have time to work on it   If I don't get 10+ requests then I'll assume most people know what they are doing and can help eachother out.

Lefty, I hope to see you run a bigadv machine 24/7 as you cut back your output.  Even in California a bigadv machine running at 4GHz runs around 20-25 bucks a month in power bills assuming you stay in the lower 3 power tiers.  When summer rolls around I may do the same since my place is getting warm with my two i7's folding and it's only in the low 70s outside....
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile