EVGA

LockedEVGA X58 759/760 Classified 24 pin mobo/psu burning up Defect With High Power GPU's

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 25
Author
donta1979
Primarch
  • Total Posts : 15886
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 72
2010/10/06 19:04:37 (permalink)
This post is here to inform you that your 759/760 boards have an issue with getting enough power to high end power consumption gpus nvidia 480 series in sli/tri sli/quad sli, ati cards from the 38xx series to 48XX HIGH END MODELS ONLY that we know about at this point .

Ok had time to calm down... the hardware that is gone is gone. It is not EVGA's responsability to replace it unless it was one of thier parts and its under warranty. The C3 was a nice thing for them to do they didnt have to do it they could had just given me a 759 board and said gl to you. Leaving me to mod it myself, sell it find a replacement or just go with it and deal with the same issue again later...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are a few links so you know I am not making this stuff up and supports my claim
http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=536713&high
http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?&m=201924&high=corsair+hx1000&mpage=2
http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=500697&high=raw2dogmeat
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/35555-e760-classified-mobo-sli-gtx-480s-melted-24-pin-connectors-3.html#post420538
Jacob posted this, this is not limited to the 759/760 classifieds other first generation x58 extreme overclocking boards from other vendors are affected as well.
http://www.overclockers.c...howthread.php?t=651336
http://www.xtremesystems....ead.php?t=243670   
So at this point it was just not the Classified any early generation  X58 Extreme ocing board with the right combination of gpus/hardware will cause this.

From one of the Engineers of the board Shamino on Xtremesystems
As linked here for the molex mod... GO TO THAT LINK AND READ IT ALL... Those of you with 760/759 boards suggest doing this or paying to have it done to keep your computers going you do not want to go though what others and myself have gone though... The link will prove that it was known that it would happen with ATI cards in these boards construction, nvidia cards at that point in time didnt consume as much power. It should had been a red light to add a molex somewhere on the board if you ask me. 

From Link Above
LardArse
Exteme Systems Forums post Note for those running heavy oc'ed Quadfire 4890
LardArse
Whem making the Classified I did take precaution to increase trace thickness for the 4 PCIE slots for the 3 groups of power. As before when overclocking quad fire 3870 I found they eat a lot through pcie slots.

This way the trace does not burn up, or restrain cards oc in quad fire.
However as there are only 2 +12v yellow wires, the connectors thus get hot at the 24pin ATX.

I myself have melted the 24 pin ATX connector when running 4 x 4890 oc. I dunno why these cards draw so much from slots, the nvidia cards dont seem to

Anyways if you are one of those quad fire guys this may help you.

As the quote and link from xtreme systems indicated they knew it would happen and didnt follow though with adding a molex for the pcie lanes on the board thus posting a molex mod to remedy the issue from happening.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cause
The cause of this is simple a board that is pretty much getting most of its power for all of its components though the 24 pin power connector.  With the right cominbation of gpus it seems both ati/nvidia that power draw becomes too great. The result is the 24pin's 12v pins having to try to pump too much power into the board, but there is resistance they where not made to supply that much power though the 12v pins. This results in those 12v pin heating up, melting plastic even scorching the metal from all the heat/resistance generated though those 12v pins.  Some people get lucky and the psu just dies, others get the melting affect as the psu keeps pumping more power into the 12v pins on the 24pin. It could eventually go down the deep end taking other components out with it when it dies or worse catch fire but that is rare but still could happen.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GPU's that we know about right now
ATI "that we know right now"
38XX top ends in Quad Fire
4890 in Quad Fire
58XX xfire to quad fire

Nvidia "What we know right now"
GTX 480's in sli or tri or quad with some type of hardware configuration
GTX 470's and below unknown
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your Options as a 759/760 owner.  
Those of you with 759/760 boards with HIGH POWER Consumption GPU's have options
1. The information is here in this post you didnt know now you know you can attempt to do the mod yourself, ask or pay someone else to do it for you.

2. Just keep running your system the way it is and pray nothing happens, if it does when your there trying to salvage what is left you cannot blame anyone else. I would suggest #1 if your going to keep the board and have no desire to replace it. If it burns out yeah EVGA will be nice enough to give you a brand new Classified 3. But at what cost dont be like me"I didnt know about this until it happened to me",  I lost ram, possibly a Killer 2100 card, a dvd/cd slim drive designed by voodoo PC exclusivly for my case that cannot be replaced, 3x power supplys, 3 hard drives, and of course my 759 board. I really wish I had known about this would had done the mod, and this post would had never existed. Antec still has not gotten back to me about an RMA so yeah out of a third psu.

3. Buy a new motherboard you know EVGA C3 will be safe so will the other vendors but after using other vendors over the weekend to today... Im sorry other vendors boards may overclock like champs but there is a big loss in control of your bios settings, some are also very picky on what ram you put on them. 

4. Step-up if your board is in the stepup date range you can do this, I dont think evga will be extending stepup dates for people who have had the 759/760 boards for over a year now, nor have past the 90 day stepup time frame.

The jet engine in the car thing is funny but a bad compairison this is more like buying a car or even a jet, but lets just use a car, say it has weak manifold studs over time they will eventually break the damage can be so catastrphic you destroy your whole car. Say you put alot of mods on your car and some of those got damaged as well the dealer is not obligated to do anything for you for those mods, they only have to replace what needs to be replace or give you a new car, but the extras you put on they are not liable for... yeah you could complain long enough, go to court and so on and eventually they would prob have to take care of it, but is it really worth it? Nope....

Those that feel EVGA should give them a new board,  yeah they could do it, are they going to? Who knows... But you know about the issue now, you know the risk from what I went though, what other members have gone though on the forums, what other people with other early gen x58 boards from other vendors. Its just up to you at this point on what to do.  Be thankful you know now instead of later at least now you have the opportunity to take action before anything happens.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Little rant on the subject and why this post is now here
Last week my 759 bit the dust in molten plastic and smoke, Though the week had green screens, dissapearing ram, the works.. I was gaming then poof system shut down, so I was like oh no let me back up my work fast and going to let this sit for a bit. .Powered it back on had my backup/workdrives in started backing up my work, all of a sudden smoke and the smell of burnt palstic filled my room... taking my machine apart when I pulled out the 24pin i saw the melted pins. Then did reasearch on it and many people not just me had the same exact thing happen, from psu's going down to the 24pin 12v pins melting, then someone posted the molex mod.... All in all I lost work, 3x psu's, 3x hard drives, ram, a rare dvd/cd drive just for my case that could not be replaced since hp/voodoo BB 002's got taken off the market.
EVGA gave me a Classified 3 to replace my 759 Limited Edition in a sense its a downgrade and an upgrade but the most important part of my 759 was the nf200 chip its why I purchased the board in the first place. It does not make up for what I have lost but a good gesture none the less. Just wish instead of saving 5-50 cents per board on putting on a molex it would had been put on the first go around when power hungry gpus where causing this.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Computer setups with/without issues w/ the 24pin burning up this will be here to help narrow it down... its ben like over a week and still no official word so i guess we can do our own homework... Put everything in for your system i mean everything even if its a coffee maker... or a tiny itty bitty led  anything and everything that uses power/is plugged up that is powered by your motherboard plugged in directly from us, sata, ide whatever to fans, lights, everything litterally.
----------------------------------------------------
Possible Configurations of systems
-----------------------------------------------------
Name:Donta1979
DATE on system:  4/2010 first GTX 480 7/2010 Second GTX 480 Promblems started Pin burnout on 6/7 OCT 2010
X58 759 Classified Limited Edition 551/770 Classified 3"hot pins without molex, molex plugged in 12v pins stay cool"
Core I7 980x
12gigs of ram
killer 2100
2x GTX 480's
3x 120mm fans
1x ram cooler
1x 40mm fan
Razor usb keyboard w/usb ports and usb mouse both with red glowing leds
Display's usb ports
nvidia 3d vision
nvidia 3d vision glasses charger cord
razer megalodon headset
360 controller
wacom tablet
1x blu Ray Drive
1x DVD/CD burner
5x to 7x hard drives at a time
Multi card/reader built into case like every memory card imaginable...

On the psu not connected to mobo
1x 120mm red led fan
2x Red cold Cathoids,
1x 12" Red LED Light
5x hard drive and LED on case pcb for hot swap of hard drives. connected to mobo though SATA cables.
CPU PUMP/block for self contained unit 

PSU's I have gone though
Thermaltake Thoughpower 1000w Burned out had unstable voltages before it died causing major instability

Corsair 1000hx    Burned out had unstable voltages before it died causing major instability

Antec TPQ 1200w "the one the 12v 24 pins burned kept chugging but unstable low dropping voltages causing major instability
Now running a Silverstone Strider 1200w not the best psu but no issues as of yet and voltages dont really drop. On a Classified 3 w/molex plugged in, without molex plugged in voltages drop way too much.
---

---
Systems Without any Issues
Name: sgtharry
DATE on system:  mobo 5/10/2009, and the 480's from 6/10/2010
EVGA X58 7?? Classified
On the psu not connected to mobo : 2 Water pumps
10,120 Fans
Into the motherboard: 3, 480's
1, 980X
6 Gigs memory
1 dual fan memory cooler
3, 50mm fans
2, ssd's
1, DVD Rom 
1, Nic card 
1, usb keyboard has keys that are blue lights
1,usb mouse
1,usb printer
---

---
post edited by donta1979 - 2010/10/26 21:40:04

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
My Build
Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller

748 Replies Related Threads

teng247
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1659
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/06 21:30:26 (permalink)
    man that sucks Donta.  Ive never had a problem like that with my classy board although its only been up and running for about 2 wks.

White Corsair 800D
    EVGA X58 Classified 760
    Intel i7 930 @ 4.00Ghz w/ EK Supreme HF
    12GB (6x2GB) Corsair Dominator 1600Mhz 
    EVGA GTX 480
    Corsair 1000HX
    1TB WD Caviar Black
    HEATWARE 

Lvcoyote
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3040
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/06 21:35:47 (permalink)
    I learned a long time ago there is no perfect motherboard or motherboard manufacturer.  Good luck with the Asus, looks like a nice board.

ASUS Maximus VI Impact, i7-4770K, G.Skill TridentX 2X8Gb DDR3-2400, EVGA GTX 750 Ti, EVGA Hadron Hydro w/EVGA Hadron Hydro Water Cooling Kit, Samsung 840 EVO 500 Gb SSD, WD Caviar 500 Gb HDD, Panasonic UJ8C5 Slot Load DVD Burner, Windows 8.1 Pro X64/Linux Mint 16 X64
    HEATWARE
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/06 21:38:31 (permalink)
    teng247

man that sucks Donta.  Ive never had a problem like that with my classy board although its only been up and running for about 2 wks.

Well its not something that is always going to happen=) But when it does it sucks. At least it was just the mobo and the 24pin that melted and burned and not the house...

Heatware   

My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    Lvcoyote
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/06 21:39:56 (permalink)
    Did you inquire with eVGA about a warranty??

ASUS Maximus VI Impact, i7-4770K, G.Skill TridentX 2X8Gb DDR3-2400, EVGA GTX 750 Ti, EVGA Hadron Hydro w/EVGA Hadron Hydro Water Cooling Kit, Samsung 840 EVO 500 Gb SSD, WD Caviar 500 Gb HDD, Panasonic UJ8C5 Slot Load DVD Burner, Windows 8.1 Pro X64/Linux Mint 16 X64
    HEATWARE
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/06 21:41:30 (permalink)
    Lvcoyote

Did you inquire with eVGA about a warranty??

Physical Damage =/

Heatware   

My Build
    Lvcoyote
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/06 21:42:33 (permalink)
    They told you that or are you assuming that??  If the physical damage is caused by something on the board then I would think they would warranty it.....

HEATWARE
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/06 21:50:50 (permalink)
    Lvcoyote

They told you that or are you assuming that??  If the physical damage is caused by something on the board then I would think they would warranty it.....

Now that part of the warranty I sent in a motherboard that had damage no fault to my own and I had to pay for it... a pin that just randomly decided to break not going to send this board in to have them send me one on advanced rma for them to turn around and say there is physcal damage to this board you can pay us or we can charge you for the full price of the board again. I would say melted plastic and plastic stuck/melted in a 24 pin slot from a 24 pin connector constitutes as physcal damage... Also since its not the PSU's Fault but the mobo I am out a psu as well... at this point... Guess I am not the only one...
    http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=536713&high

• There is no physical damage to the PCB, GPU/chipset, or components that are caused by: Damage due to improper installation, damage during modification of any kind, damage during any type of aftermarket cooling installation, and water damage of any kind.  
    post edited by donta1979 - 2010/10/06 22:11:14

• Heatware   

My Build
    _GarrettH
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 321
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/06 22:43:12 (permalink)
    donta1979,

I am going to email you directly about this case.  Please send me pictures of the damage to the motherboard so I can try to get a preliminary look over of the board with our RMA department to see how they might look into your motherboard.  Perhaps we can still get this board replaced under warranty.
    krazyatom
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 174
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/07 00:10:11 (permalink)
    I love my EVGA B-Stock motherboard!

System/

i7 920 D0 4GHZ 
    Asus Rampage III Gene 
    Corsair F60 & Crucial M4 64gb
    Asus Xonar Essence ST
    Seasonic X750 Gold 
    Dell U3011 
    MSI gtx 480 Lightnings 

doorules
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4504
    • Ribbons : 21
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/07 00:53:02 (permalink)
    sry to hear about your troubles donta1979, if you do end up trying the rampage lll i would be very interested in how that works out, looking myself since it doesn't seem like we will see the x68 chipset anytime soon
    raw2dogmeat
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 799
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/07 02:07:03 (permalink)
    donta1979

Yup as my title says its down, well going down and billowing some smoke and molten plastic...
    Well if you all followed raw2dogmeat's post of his X58 micro going down same thing happened just didn't burn as badly...
    The 24pin power connector from my psu had one of the pins melt off inside of it... Board is extremely unstable now ram disappearing, total shut downs you name it... Just hope the rest of my hardware is ok...

Not too long ago my Corsair 1000hx went out, now I am out of an Antec TPQ 1200w and a mobo.
    I reported the strange problems to evga... but they went away and was told I should be fine no need to RMA... Should had taken RussianHaxors advice and rmaed the board he said it might have something wrong with its voltage and might had been the reason why my corsair 1000hx fried. Too bad hes no longer doing tech support for EVGA... But yeah physical damage to my board now with a melted pin of my 24pin connector stuck inside, you can tell the burning was caused on the EVGA board not though the psu... but this would explain why my computer has been acting up the past few days and months.... and has been going down hill...

I am not mad at EVGA but ready for something new... had an 680i cpu-pin randomly breaks off nothing I did... paid to fix it anyways no biggy, believe one bad 780i, 3x X58 3-way SLI's, and now an EVGA X58 Classified Limited Edition. This is why I am going to go with ASUS.. Esp. since the board caused physical damage on its own nothing I did lucky I caught it before things got ugly and got turned into a fire pot of molten plastic and charred silicon....

So this go around ASUS is getting my money on a motherboard and going to get a Silverstone psu
    ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    SILVERSTONE ST1200
    I thought about getting the Classified 3 but nope for 380 bucks vs. an ASUS board that has a better layout comes with a fan to cool the vreg/nb/sb. Without all the small tiny issues that have to be ironed out.... meh just disappointed loved my limited edition board but with physical damage now yeah no rma....

Hey donta1979, I'm feeling your pain...but actually my board was the 759 Classified, too!!! Take lots of pictures, send them to EVGA, it can work out..they r.m.a.'d me a refurbished 759...I bought a 760 in the mean time because it was my only computer and I thought there was no way they'd replace the board with damamge even though it was'nt my fault, then I built a new rig around the refurbished 759...hang in there and keep the faith, EVGA rocks, that's why they're so popular...NEVER would have thought they'd replace my board, but they did (Thanks again EVGA)!!!!  New rig  link... http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=578522 

Cooler Master Cosmos S
    I7 4930K @ 4.4 GHz
    Asus Rampage IV Black  
    4 x 4 gb G.SKill - 2133  9-11-10-28-2T

Corsair 1200w
    Sandisk Extreme II 240 gb (Windows 7, 64 bit) 
    Velociraptor 1 tb 
     (games) 
    980 Ti SLI

XSPC Raystorm - XSPC Razer - EK Rampage IV Black Edition blocks

tm95ern
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 307
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/07 03:59:32 (permalink)
    That suxs, did you have 2 or more 480:s on the board to couse that issue? I know the instability symptoms to well but after failure of Maximus X38 and REIIE i refuse to use ASUS again until they shape up. I rather have a hot NB that board can handle than a less hot NB board cant handle it and is requierd to be watercooled down below 40 Celsius or fail anything memoryrelated. 
    If anything EVGA RMA is superior to ASUS or Gigabyte and whatever they are named.

Was it the same pin as in this thread?
    http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?&m=536713&mpage=1

If so just make sure the new board have a molex/8-pin PCIe to be safe for more than 1 480 so it dont suck more power thou the 24-pin again than it should.
    LionRed
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/07 04:36:41 (permalink)
    Actually it isn't the 8 pin connector, that is for the CPU. It is the 4 pin molex connector they have been starting to add to some motherboards. Like the one they added to the 762 and I believe the new classy 3's.

donta1979, I am pretty confident EVGA will take very good care of you. You do not need to buy an Asus board.

Beyond TV SD , i920, 2 GB OCZ,Gigabyte X58 Extreme ,4x320GB Rd 10, 4x500GB Rd 10, 4x1 TB Rd 10 , 2x1TB Rd 1, 1 320 GB OS, ATI 4550 ,Corsair TX850Watt, 2xHVR1600, LianLi Armorsuit PC-80

BTVLink, E6600, 2GB OCZ, 200GB WD, GA-P35-DS3L, NeoPower 650W,4x500GB Rd 10, Giga HD4550, 50" Panasonic Plasma, Yamaha YSP4000, Kewood 12" Sub

Gaming, i7 920 D0, EVGA Classified 760, Ram OCZ3RPR1866C9LV6GK Tri-Sli GTX 480, Silverstone Strider ST1500 1500W, VaporChill LS
    tm95ern
    iCX Member
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/07 05:03:19 (permalink)
    I seen board with 8-pin PCie as well as the molex to juice the GFX.
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/07 08:54:36 (permalink)
    Yeah the 4 way classified wont fit my case. so that is out of the question, nor do I want a 759 or a 760 classified because I have already lost 2x psu's now and now the mobo because of this...

Heatware   

My Build
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/07 08:57:36 (permalink)
    raw2dogmeat

donta1979

Yup as my title says its down, well going down and billowing some smoke and molten plastic...
    Well if you all followed raw2dogmeat's post of his X58 micro going down same thing happened just didn't burn as badly...
    The 24pin power connector from my psu had one of the pins melt off inside of it... Board is extremely unstable now ram disappearing, total shut downs you name it... Just hope the rest of my hardware is ok...

Not too long ago my Corsair 1000hx went out, now I am out of an Antec TPQ 1200w and a mobo.
    I reported the strange problems to evga... but they went away and was told I should be fine no need to RMA... Should had taken RussianHaxors advice and rmaed the board he said it might have something wrong with its voltage and might had been the reason why my corsair 1000hx fried. Too bad hes no longer doing tech support for EVGA... But yeah physical damage to my board now with a melted pin of my 24pin connector stuck inside, you can tell the burning was caused on the EVGA board not though the psu... but this would explain why my computer has been acting up the past few days and months.... and has been going down hill...

I am not mad at EVGA but ready for something new... had an 680i cpu-pin randomly breaks off nothing I did... paid to fix it anyways no biggy, believe one bad 780i, 3x X58 3-way SLI's, and now an EVGA X58 Classified Limited Edition. This is why I am going to go with ASUS.. Esp. since the board caused physical damage on its own nothing I did lucky I caught it before things got ugly and got turned into a fire pot of molten plastic and charred silicon....

So this go around ASUS is getting my money on a motherboard and going to get a Silverstone psu
    ASUS Rampage III Formula LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    SILVERSTONE ST1200
    I thought about getting the Classified 3 but nope for 380 bucks vs. an ASUS board that has a better layout comes with a fan to cool the vreg/nb/sb. Without all the small tiny issues that have to be ironed out.... meh just disappointed loved my limited edition board but with physical damage now yeah no rma....

Hey donta1979, I'm feeling your pain...but actually my board was the 759 Classified, too!!! Take lots of pictures, send them to EVGA, it can work out..they r.m.a.'d me a refurbished 759...I bought a 760 in the mean time because it was my only computer and I thought there was no way they'd replace the board with damamge even though it was'nt my fault, then I built a new rig around the refurbished 759...hang in there and keep the faith, EVGA rocks, that's why they're so popular...NEVER would have thought they'd replace my board, but they did (Thanks again EVGA)!!!!  New rig  link... http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=578522 

Sorry but EVGA can take the 759 and 760 mobo and keep it since they dont have the molex plug on them I am not taking that chance.... 2x psu's and a limited edition mobo now from it yeah... no way in hell would I put a 759 or a 760 or any evga x58 mobo that does not have a molex plug for my video cards into my machine again. To be honest this is a big enough issue to warrant a recall...
    post edited by donta1979 - 2010/10/07 09:03:20

Heatware   

My Build
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/07 09:01:36 (permalink)
    EVGATech_GarrettH

donta1979,

I am going to email you directly about this case.  Please send me pictures of the damage to the motherboard so I can try to get a preliminary look over of the board with our RMA department to see how they might look into your motherboard.  Perhaps we can still get this board replaced under warranty.

Here you go pictures, sorry all I have is my camera phone atm. You can see the two 24 female pin holes on the mobo filled with melted plastic, and on my 24pin one of the 24 pins is melted the other one started to...

Attached Image(s)

Heatware   

My Build
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/07 09:12:35 (permalink)
    krazyatom

I love my EVGA B-Stock motherboard!

GL on your bstock motherboard hope you dont have high end 400 series in it, otherwise you will eventually run into what I have... aka moelted placstic in the 24 pin slots and a ruined psu that you cannot rma because its not the psu's fault but a defect with EVGA's older x58 line...

Heatware   

My Build
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/07 09:15:34 (permalink)
    LionRed

Actually it isn't the 8 pin connector, that is for the CPU. It is the 4 pin molex connector they have been starting to add to some motherboards. Like the one they added to the 762 and I believe the new classy 3's.

donta1979, I am pretty confident EVGA will take very good care of you. You do not need to buy an Asus board.

The 4 way classified will not fit my case, and the 760/759 are flawed in design beause of this, so there is no way I would put another one into my machine at this point....
    EVGA will take care of me? like they did to raw2dogmeat once his x58 bord went out and they gave him a 759... that will eventually give the guy the same issue on his next build... No thank you... I would even be afraid of putting a Classified 3 board into my machine at this point...=/
    Sorry once shame on them, second shame on me, third time I deserve it. There will not be a second time... Asus luckily had the pre thought of this awhile ago... but they have been making motherboards for how long?
    post edited by donta1979 - 2010/10/07 09:31:32

Heatware   

My Build
    LionRed
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/07 09:42:00 (permalink)
    donta...I was just pointing out the extra connection...didn't say you had to live with a 762.

The Classy 3 has same extra 4 pin molex connector. Perhaps that will fix your case better.

This issue of melting 24 pin connectors is not only happening to EVGA. I have found/seen pictures of it happening to Asus, Gigabyte board and others. 

Beyond TV SD , i920, 2 GB OCZ,Gigabyte X58 Extreme ,4x320GB Rd 10, 4x500GB Rd 10, 4x1 TB Rd 10 , 2x1TB Rd 1, 1 320 GB OS, ATI 4550 ,Corsair TX850Watt, 2xHVR1600, LianLi Armorsuit PC-80

BTVLink, E6600, 2GB OCZ, 200GB WD, GA-P35-DS3L, NeoPower 650W,4x500GB Rd 10, Giga HD4550, 50" Panasonic Plasma, Yamaha YSP4000, Kewood 12" Sub

Gaming, i7 920 D0, EVGA Classified 760, Ram OCZ3RPR1866C9LV6GK Tri-Sli GTX 480, Silverstone Strider ST1500 1500W, VaporChill LS
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/07 09:43:54 (permalink)
    LionRed

donta...I was just pointing out the extra connection...didn't say you had to live with a 762.

The Classy 3 has same extra 4 pin molex connector. Perhaps that will fix your case better.

If I have to buy it new nope.... wont do it...  asus will get my money if I have to buy a new board... I feel bad for corsair because their 1000hx is doing the same thing as my antec 1200w did or it kills the psu early like in my case. People blamed the psu when it was the 759/760 classified's design that was to blame...=/
    As for it happening early on in the game it could be because they too went away from the second source of power for the pcie lanes but they fixed the issue pretty quickly with thier gen 2/3 lineup of boards.
    post edited by donta1979 - 2010/10/07 10:16:30

Heatware   

My Build
    tm95ern
    iCX Member
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/07 09:54:08 (permalink)
    Good luck with your ASUS and i hope you get a mb that dont requier wc on the NB to be stable like mine i had prior to the E759 that had other flaws as well and prior to the 790i Ultra was above 50 celsius on NB and that was more rule than exeption on that X38 to hit 50 on light load.

New case is totaly out of question to fit the 762? Even if it is extreme way to stay on the brand and should not be needed at all.
    Why afraid of classy3 if it have the same molex for same purpos as 762 to power the GFX? I had no sutch issue with my mind when going from 759 to 762 due to half dead 759.
    _ShannonR
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 438
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/07 09:54:20 (permalink)
    Donta,

I am contacting you directly concerning your issue.

Please check your PM's

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
    3 Way TITAN Blacks
    TPX-1475 PSU
    LSI SSD RAID
    4960X 5.0GHz on Water
    64GB Patriot Viper 2400

Overclocking Graveyard
    Too many new chips to list.....980X I forget how high LN2,W3580 5.7 GHz 1.79V on LN2, W3520 4.9GHz 1.57V on LN2, E8600  5.9Ghz 1.68V on Dice, E8400  5.5Ghz 1.68V on Dice, Q6600  4.7Ghz 1.52V on Dice, Cel 430 4.2Ghz 1.62V on Dice
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/07 09:57:51 (permalink)
    tm95ern

Good luck with your ASUS and i hope you get a mb that dont requier wc on the NB to be stable like mine i had prior to the E759 that had other flaws as well and prior to the 790i Ultra was above 50 celsius on NB and that was more rule than exeption on that X38 to hit 50 on light load.

New case is totaly out of question to fit the 762? Even if it is extreme way to stay on the brand and should not be needed at all.
    Why afraid of classy3 if it have the same molex for same purpos as 762 to power the GFX? I had no sutch issue with my mind when going from 759 to 762 due to half dead 759.

I wont put in a 762... i spent over 1k to get my hands on the case I have now had to get guts and all ended up using my old case and putting the parts that where in the bb into it and selling it for 380 with 2x displays... its the case I have wanted for three years...  really should had gotten one when hp/voodoo was selling them for 600 a pop. but then I would had not gotten the cpu liquid cooler that does an excellent job.
    post edited by donta1979 - 2010/10/07 10:34:56

Heatware   

My Build
    LionRed
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/07 10:02:08 (permalink)
    LMFAO Donta , check your private messages like EVGA_ShannonR] (EVGA Product Manager) is asking!

Also, I would love to see a picture of this case.

donta1979
    Primarch
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/07 10:06:50 (permalink)
    LionRed

LMFAO Donta , check your private messages like EVGA_ShannonR] (EVGA Product Manager) is asking!

Also, I would love to see a picture of this case.

Already replied to him=) pics are in my mod rigs, and in my build post.

Heatware   

My Build
    patchesanook
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3903
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/07 10:10:19 (permalink)
    i believe evga should replace the motherboard and psu.if was the boards fault that would be the way to go.

tm95ern
    iCX Member
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/07 10:17:31 (permalink)
    Fully understand that, to bad classy3 is no option then for one or other reson.
    donta1979
    Primarch
    Re:EVGA X58 759 Classifed Limited Edition #551 down... going to get an ASUS....=/ 2010/10/07 11:01:08 (permalink)
    Spoke to Antec on the phone, they even said it is a design flaw with the EVGA x58 Classified 759/760 motherboards with them drawing too much power for the pcie lanes though the 24pin resulting in destruction of power supplys.

Heatware   

My Build
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 25
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile