self publishing?

Author
knightsilver
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 9430
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 14
2017/10/10 12:34:57 (permalink)
First question, does anyone have time to read novels or short novels these days?

Thoughts on self publishing with digital novels like with Amazon or Barns & Noble?

I haven’t really writen any fiction since High School “What got me through high school “ , besides a few steamy love letters. And wanting to get back to writing again. I wrote mostly SciFi, but with hint of Fantasy. The one story I wrote in high school was something between, Doctor Who, Star Trek, Knights of the Round Table meets Super Heroes.

Knight’

11 Replies Related Threads

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18916
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: self publishing? 2017/10/11 19:51:22 (permalink)

I read quite a lot - always buy through amazon and read on the Kindle app on my cellphone while commuting and when I hit the sack. A lot of 'self-published' authors go that route as there's no editors demanding a cut and giving timelines and taking all the joy out of writing.

I've 'discovered' a few good sci-fi authors who self-publish on Amazon who have since gone on to become best sellers, and am on a beta reading list for one of them so I get to read first drafts (and get to offer suggestions on them) many months before the books are made public. If you're going to do it, I strongly suggest a personal website too were you can offer beta drafts and gain some loyal followers who may point out plot holes you may have missed before you officially publish. I always buy the final book when it is published, but that's just me.

My father-in-law and wife recently published a book on Amazon (not a novel though, a technical book). I believe it was relatively easy. On the bad side, within the same day they first published, their book was already being offered on 3rd party sites for free in pdf format if you clicked through a bunch of advertising pages first. Scammers everywhere.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: self publishing? 2017/10/11 20:17:55 (permalink)
    The most recent example I can recall is The Martian author was self-published before he got a publicist.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: self publishing? 2017/10/12 00:34:11 (permalink)
    I really don't see a problem with going self published if you are planning to write for fun. It could lead to becoming a discovered writer and good things. You have to consider that way people can read your work. When you consider JK Rowling got about ten rejection letters from publishers before Harry Potter was published.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: self publishing? 2017/10/12 01:56:24 (permalink)
    Anyone know how Pen names work in this digital world? Use to be, you'd have to search/register with the Trademark Office?
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1011
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: self publishing? 2017/10/12 06:41:18 (permalink)
    just do it .   don't worry about what others say or do  ..   if its something you want to try  just try you never know intill you try    success of fail   then if at first you don't secede  tryn , try again

you got to put it out there and try to build a following  .   how much did Stephen king write  before he got a best seller ? how many publishers may of turned him down at his start ?? 

pen name ??   just google it up for any help 

http://writersrelief.com/blog/2008/06/pen-names-what-you-need-to-know-about-using-a-pseudonym/

https://www.wikihow.com/Copyright-a-Book-With-a-Pen-Name

https://kdp.amazon.com/community/message.jspa?messageID=692371
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: self publishing? 2017/10/12 08:30:42 (permalink)
    Looks like, Amazon does Paperbacks for Print on demand:
    https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G202059560

Anyone got a Kindle E-Reader? "I do hate direct light"
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IOY8XWQ

post edited by knightsilver - 2017/10/12 08:34:24
    kougar
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3034
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: self publishing? 2017/10/12 19:38:55 (permalink)
    knightsilver
    Looks like, Amazon does Paperbacks for Print on demand:
    https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G202059560

Anyone got a Kindle E-Reader? "I do hate direct light"
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IOY8XWQ

Amazon also has it's own digital ebook lending library, they call it Kindle Unlimited. I don't know what they pay authors to add their ebooks to that library, but it's something you should look into. There is an ever-increasing number of other public digital-libraries too, such as the one I use: http://bexarbibliotech.org/

Yes I do use a Kindle, an old model Paperwhite without the light up screen and higher PPI display they now come with. The E-ink display is awesome and significantly easier on the eyes than LCD screens. I'm not as big a fan of short stories as I am of longer series with intricate, amazing plots/character arcs. (Think Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, though I admittedly appreciated how Brandon Sanderson finished it since Jordan began drawing things out a little too far. But I digress). I chew through a lot of ebooks on my Kindle, I'd much rather read a decent book than play time-wasting phone games. If I want to game it'll be a real game that requires a full desktop to run.  

Have water, will cool. 
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: self publishing? 2017/10/12 19:56:19 (permalink)

You could always do a life story about yourself. Should be interesting. Start with "It all started when I was born", then go from there.     :P

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: self publishing? 2017/10/12 23:42:58 (permalink)
    My original thoughts way back in high school, was to do a series of 7 to 12 short novels, with and overall story and plot arc, but still each book could stand on its own to a point. 
    Athena
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 328
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: self publishing? 2017/10/13 07:29:44 (permalink)
    I would go for it.  Just do not expect to make much money.  Do it for the self satisfaction and fun.
    Talking to myself as well.  Won some creative writing contests back in the day, then was asked by the collage dean to consider publishing and got so scared I did not write again for years and then it was for a gaming website.  After a couple years our small site got bought out and I gave up writing as technical reviews and game reviews did not press my buttons like creative writing had when I was young.

If you do publish please consider letting me read some of your work.  Who knows maybe it will light my writers fire once again.  And I do enjoy good Scify and fantasy as well.
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: self publishing? 2017/10/13 23:50:50 (permalink)
    I wouldnt do it for just money. Id hope for a few young adults and maybe a few grown adults to see them selves, that they can do better, that life isnt always about getting what you want...
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile